Is Chris Simms Right About Watson?

A new GM, on year two of a promising rebuild doesn’t need to be hamstrung by a massive quarterback salary not to mention loss of hard earned premium draft capital.  It’s pretty obvious that they are going to continue the course and see how it plays out with Darnold this year.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, Dupe said:

A new GM, on year two of a promising rebuild doesn’t need to be hamstrung by a massive quarterback salary not to mention loss of hard earned premium draft capital.  It’s pretty obvious that they are going to continue the course and see how it plays out with Darnold this year.  

What makes this narrative "pretty obvious"?  It is one of several plausible directions for JD and the Jets.  Often, "pretty obvious" = what we personally want.  Not saying that's the case here, but nothing is "obvious" right now.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

What makes this narrative "pretty obvious"?  It is one of several plausible directions for JD and the Jets.  Often, "pretty obvious" = what we personally want.  Not saying that's the case here, but nothing is "obvious" right now.

I disagree.  You also misinterpret as I make no claim that this is what I want.  Lots of you love spouting your edgy perspectives to generate replies or laughs.  When looking at this from a logical perspective, that takes into account financial responsibility, where the team currently is talent wise and what JD is here to do it is pretty obvious.  

IMO there is a very high probability that Darold is back possibly with some competition.

IMO there is a moderate chance that we draft a rookie with a top pick.  (Given that you rarely get to pick this high and to restart the rookie salary clock)

IMO It’s a long shot we spend massive draft capital, on an expensive QB that hampers future roster building.  

The above is my opinion but it truly seems obvious.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/29/2021 at 9:15 PM, Bronx said:

If youu don't have an elite QB, most likely you won't go to the Super Bowl. How hard is that to understand? When is Sam going to become elite? from all of the sudden? Are we going to build a team through the draft and hope a miracle QB pops in?  Or maybe gamble for another 3 years while making this outstanding coach miserable.

We have capital (never mentioned in this video), the team will be attractive (good vets might take a pay cut) and we will be guaranteed the most important thing, an elite QB

How many of these teams with 2nd tier QBs have made it to the SB? I rest my case.

The “elite qb” won 2 more games all season long with a better team and coach than Sam

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The “elite qb” won 2 more games all season long with a better team and coach than Sam

His team avg 24 pts a game, the Jets 15.  The texans were one of the few teams that gave up more points than the Jets.  Watson wasn't the problem.

Watson is a good QB, he’s not great and he’s definitely not elite. I live in Texas and watch all his games. From NY originally. He is largely a one read QB who relies on his athleticism when his one read isn’t there. He’s also had incredible receivers around him and plays in a soft division in great weather. He doesn’t have an elite arm needed in east coast football in December. 

All that said id take him for a reasonable trade like 1:23 or 2022 1st round pick. But to give up any more than that and pay him huge money will set this org up for 6-10 to 8-8 for the next ten years. 

he wasn’t the problem in Houston going 4-12, but an elite QB does better than that. He beat Jax 2x and colts opening day of weird season. 

he’s good but way overrated on this board.

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

we went 2-14 last year with Sam and Gase

we lost 2 games to buffalo by 10 and 8 points

denver by 9

NE and LV by 3

the chargers by 6

you dont think Watson and a good FA WR cant score us enough points to win those games? that would make us 8-8.

we wasted 8 picks on QB since 2009. thats 8 picks we could have spent on position players and maybe hit on a few if we had a guy like Watson.