JD will be judged by Watson's fate

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Something tells me Coach Salah is much more like lets get Watson to start this mariage off then an NFL talent unknown like Wilson (A project) or Fields (boom or bust) type talent.  

Nothing about Saleh says anything about the QBs.  Nothing about Saleh says he thinks Wilson is a project or Fields is a (boom or bust) type talent. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is finally official. Deshaun Watson, a top 5 NFL QB at 25 is on the market.  Something like this simply doesn't happen in the NFL, but Houston through shear incompetence has made it possible. 

Ridiculous.  JD will be judged on team's win/loss record over the next 2-3 years.  The instant gratification set are guaranteed to be unhappy--regardless of what the Jets do about Watson--because the

Can't speak for anyone else, but I will judge Douglas on one basis and one basis only:  If Sam Darnold is the unquestioned starter of the team in 2021, I want him gone.   Watson may well be unwil

Posted Images

It is finally official. Deshaun Watson, a top 5 NFL QB at 25 is on the market. 

Something like this simply doesn't happen in the NFL, but Houston through shear incompetence has made it possible. 

Its also official, there are only 3-5 NFL teams that are in SERIOUS contention for Watson, and more likely then not, 3 front runners....THE JETS AMONG THEM. 

So, now its up to JD to make it happen. I believe his tenure will be marked by the next couple months. JD has proven to be a little shaky in FA in the last few years and made some questionable moves. With that said, he has proven, if anything he is good at tearing down talent, to acquire capital to obtain talent in the future. That begins with finding a QB. I mean thats what half of this is about right? Look at the final four this year...Allen, Mahomes, Brady, Brees. Yes the QB position is the most important position in the fields and yes, in TODAYS NFL its hard to go deep into the playoffs with out one. Well, one is sitting out there for the taking. Will JD make it happen. We have a right to be skeptical, if JD treats the Robby deal like this one, we are in trouble. The kind of take it or leave it mode, scared to "overpay". Watson will cost 3 1st rounders at minimum plus Darnold at least. The Jets CAN and must make it happen. If JD is the draft guru many of you make it out to be we can still acquire talent with 3rd and 4ths and plug and play in FA. 

Something tells me Coach Salah is much more like lets get Watson to start this mariage off then an NFL talent unknown like Wilson (A project) or Fields (boom or bust) type talent.  The other scary play for JD passing on Watson being scared of "overpaying" is the second candidate for Watson, the Dolphins. One as a Jet Fan could imagine a scenario where the Jets pass and the Dolphins obtain Watson. We watch Watson and Allen battle it out for the decade while we roll with 8-8 type years with rookie QB and veteran plug ins. History will not judge JD well if that happens. 

JD...Make it happen. Dont get caught up on that extra 3d round pick and get in some haggling. This is your future, we need a QB, we can afford the QB. Get the QB. Or let history write your fate. 

So if the Jets don't get Watson but win a super bowl with Darnold or Wilson, you think he will get fired because he didn't get Watson?

If we go 4-12 every year, JD will get Douglas regardless of who is the QB.

I think blowing the tank for the #1 pick is already a mark against JD. The Jags got it done! If DW truly becomes on the market and JD doesn't close the deal then yes, I agree with he OP especially if DW ends up in Miami. 

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Odds of us going to the super bowl with a top 5 qb like Watson are a lot greater then going with Zach Wilson in 3-4 years 

I don't know that.  Wilson might be the next Mahomes.

Probably isn't.  But few thought Mahomes would be the next Mahomes either before hand.

Point being:  Wins and Losses is the only judge for a GM.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes, but the two are kind of tied together. If JD doesn't believe in Sam, its hard to see how he DOESNT get Watson. 

meh, depends.

If the Texans want 4 or more 1sts, its over and you dont blame JD for not paying that price.

If Houston wont trade him or wants him out of the AFC, whatever, its over and you cant blame JD.

Just because you want him doesnt mean hes has to be had at any cost.

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So if the Jets don't get Watson but win a super bowl with Darnold or Wilson, you think he will get fired because he didn't get Watson?

If we go 4-12 every year, JD will get Douglas regardless of who is the QB.

like most of the responses read the whole post

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't know that.  Wilson might be the next Mahomes.

Probably isn't.  But few thought Mahomes would be the next Mahomes either before hand.

Point being:  Wins and Losses is the only judge for a GM.

Well on your logic he is 9-23

Time to start winning. 

Something like this simply doesn't happen in the NFL, but Houston through shear incompetence has made it possible. 

Its also official, there are only 3-5 NFL teams that are in SERIOUS contention for Watson, and more likely then not, 3 front runners....THE JETS AMONG THEM. 

So, now its up to JD to make it happen. I believe his tenure will be marked by the next couple months. JD has proven to be a little shaky in FA in the last few years and made some questionable moves. With that said, he has proven, if anything he is good at tearing down talent, to acquire capital to obtain talent in the future. That begins with finding a QB. I mean thats what half of this is about right? Look at the final four this year...Allen, Mahomes, Brady, Brees. Yes the QB position is the most important position in the fields and yes, in TODAYS NFL its hard to go deep into the playoffs with out one. Well, one is sitting out there for the taking. Will JD make it happen. We have a right to be skeptical, if JD treats the Robby deal like this one, we are in trouble. The kind of take it or leave it mode, scared to "overpay". Watson will cost 3 1st rounders at minimum plus Darnold at least. The Jets CAN and must make it happen. If JD is the draft guru many of you make it out to be we can still acquire talent with 3rd and 4ths and plug and play in FA. 

Something tells me Coach Salah is much more like lets get Watson to start this mariage off then an NFL talent unknown like Wilson (A project) or Fields (boom or bust) type talent.  The other scary play for JD passing on Watson being scared of "overpaying" is the second candidate for Watson, the Dolphins. One as a Jet Fan could imagine a scenario where the Jets pass and the Dolphins obtain Watson. We watch Watson and Allen battle it out for the decade while we roll with 8-8 type years with rookie QB and veteran plug ins. History will not judge JD well if that happens. 

JD...Make it happen. Dont get caught up on that extra 3d round pick and get in some haggling. This is your future, we need a QB, we can afford the QB. Get the QB. Or let history write your fate. 

Yeah- that’s not a bias opinion at all.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

where are you getting these numbers?  here are the facts you asked for

now you Show your receipts please saying they are just 3 mil under a year. They are starving the beast and have been since Rex  

https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

2020 Jets - 69 M on O, 60 M on D - 129 M spend (Colts spent over 200)

2019 Jets - 79 M on O, 82 M on D - 161 M spend 

2018 Jets - 77 M on O, 72 M on D - 149 M spend

2017 Jets - 58 M on O, 64 M on D - 122 M spend

2016 Jets - 66 M on O, 67 M on D - 133 M spend 

the Jets did not spend to the cap in any of those years going back to 2013 as far as the site goes

they weren't bottom 5 every year but they were consistently well under the cap and even under the floor at times 

my info was from Jason La Canfora - he's crunched the CASH numbers for the teams.  the 707mm was the total in those 4 years on average.  the Jets were not in the bottom 25%.  (the 3mm was the average amount per year difference between the 7th cheap team and the average.

the numbers you show don't even make sense as they aren't even close to the minimum spend.  i would make sure you understand what you are looking at.

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

Miami being in the picture really throws a wrench in what his plans really were.  Even if he didn't want to pay up to get Watson, he might have to just to prevent Miami from getting him and having to face him twice a year.  

Rayzor, I can't fathom Houston being willing to trade with the team we sent our #3 pick to for Tunsil, to also send their young Franchise Qb to that same team just to get back their #3 pick. The fanbase would absolutely trash them over this. You have to go with the Jets.... A losing franchise with no chance of Watson being in the playoffs in '21 (or so they think).

Paramount Network Kelly GIF by Yellowstone

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

to us? nothing 

to Woody? everything 

the Jets are 70 million under the cap they didn't get there by accident. 

the Jets pocket hundreds of millions of tv dollars every year just for showing up. They don't have to actually be good or win games to make money.

and they haven't been good for maybe a decade. The last time they funded the roster properly was Rex Ryan. Turns out good players cost money.

The Jets trade away their good players they don't trade for good players. That's not how they operate, not for some time

yes there was a point when the Jets traded for Santonio Holmes or Favre or whatever. That might as well be ancient history in NFL terms. We've gone through like 5 head coaches since then.  

Would you say that Robert Saleh was a bargain basement hire?  How about Joe Douglas?

• Upvote 1

Joe Douglas should be evaluated on the only thing that matters: Wins.  I don't care how we get there.  If it's with Sam and talent accumulated in the next two drafts and FA.  That's fine.  If it's by drafting a new QB, great. Same goes for Watson.  Deshaun is a great talent, but his team only won four games this year.  Matthew Stafford is a quality QB, but his team stinks.  As the great Al Davis said: "Just win, Baby."

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I will judge Douglas on one basis and one basis only:  If Sam Darnold is the unquestioned starter of the team in 2021, I want him gone.  

Will you wait until the season to see the results, or will the banner and plane be rented in August?

• Upvote 1

Yes you can give the farm and must for a quality qb. They can have a haul of Zunigas and Ashton Davis type picks 

You really should apply to the next GM position.  Seems like you would hit on 100 percent of your picks, and they would all be pro-bowl selections.

12 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Joe Douglas should be evaluated on the only thing that matters: Wins.  I don't care how we get there.  If it's with Sam and talent accumulated in the next two drafts and FA.  That's fine.  If it's by drafting a new QB, great. Same goes for Watson.  Deshaun is a great talent, but his team only won four games this year.  Matthew Stafford is a quality QB, but his team stinks.  As the great Al Davis said: "Just win, Baby."

Well he hasn’t been doing so great in the wins category so far 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m not judging JD by whether he gets Watson or not. Idiocy

Top 5 QB with a 4-12 record (1-2 pl laoffs) and mamoth contract that will handcuff this team.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It is hard to see but it’s also understandable if he doesn’t. He just built up a war chest full of picks and if Houston’s asking price is going to compromise the entire rebuild, as much as I want Watson, I would understand the lack of interest in letting that many high picks go. 

This is my prediction for what happens, tbh 

4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes, but the two are kind of tied together. If JD doesn't believe in Sam, its hard to see how he DOESNT get Watson. 

Because he likes Zach Wilson.

Listen, something lost in all of this is that Joe Douglas comes from the Ravens and Eagles programs.  And both GM's that mentored him never went out and bet the farm on a splashy player.  Baltimore and Philadelphia were home-grown Super Bowl teams.  It's not in Douglas' DNA to go and make the biggest free agent signing in NFL history.

SAR I

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Because he likes Zach Wilson.

Listen, something lost in all of this is that Joe Douglas comes from the Ravens and Eagles programs.  And both GM's that mentored him never went out and bet the farm on a splashy player.  Baltimore and Philadelphia were home-grown Super Bowl teams.  It's not in Douglas' DNA to go and make the biggest free agent signing in NFL history.

SAR I

Well Zach Wilson better pan out 

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Are you saying if JD does include the 2nd overall pick, then anything else he offers should go way down? Give me an example. 

If he includes #2, then I would offer Seattle's #1 next year and Darnold along with the Seattle pick and start there, but not go much higher... I like Watson, but I will stand by my position of not wasting all our good draft capitol for him.

40 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Well Zach Wilson better pan out 

Pretend Deshaun isn't leaving Houston.

Darnold, Wilson, Fields, Garropolo.

One of those 4 is your opening day starter.

SAR I

56 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Pretend Deshaun isn't leaving Houston.

Darnold, Wilson, Fields, Garropolo.

One of those 4 is your opening day starter.

SAR I

Yep, and Darnold would be a distant 4th for me

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Texas may not trade him so might not even be a thing. 

• Upvote 1

Well he hasn’t been doing so great in the wins category so far 

Maybe you stop with the whining and realize hes really had this season on his resume, the year before he came in after the draft.

Kind of hard to turn things around when youre trying to do w complete overhaul and then checking in after one season.  

5 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

How many separate threads do we need on this? Holy Crow.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Better yet, how many threads can one single poster start complaining about JD, coming up with reasons he should be fired?