2021 QB PLAN B

2 minutes ago, jbt said:

maxresdefault_408fb845-34ea-44b4-a483-b32a8a1a3701.thumb.jpg.6d5a930152772b4c20743bac8e003c14.jpg

What's funny is that he did play football: from Wikipedia - "O'Neill was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969 under rookie head coach Chuck Noll but was cut in training camp, having to compete with fellow rookie defensive lineman "Mean Joe" Greene and L. C. Greenwood for a roster spot. Both become key members of the Steel Curtain defense during the Steelers success in the 1970s."

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Whos James Morgan?

James Morgan is an American football quarterback for the New York Jets of the National Football League. He played college football at Florida International and Bowling Green and was drafted by the Jets in the fourth round of the 2020 NFL Draft.

image.png.c2c1668bc212895e12933c73cd94c105.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Draft Wilson. Which is also PLAN A. Only way we trade for Watson is if the value is compelling and we keep the 2 pick or a three way trade using most of the trade capital for Watson and preserving other picks.

Exactly.  I have no issue drafting a new QB at 2.  But the odds of a Watson trade happening are pretty slim UNLESS the price dramatically comes down.  Douglas isn’t trading a boatload of firsts with all the holes we have on the roster just not his style 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Icer said:

I've felt since the season ended that we are going to watch Darnold throw for 2800 yards, 15 TD's and like 12 INT's next year, in other words nothing special. 

That wouldn’t be the worst outcome.  If that happens, we would have built up the team in 2021 by trading down and fortifying the roster.  And if Darnold is mediocre next year Douglas will have the resources needed (two or three firsts) to get his QB in the 2022 draft.

31 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

That wouldn’t be the worst outcome.  If that happens, we would have built up the team in 2021 by trading down and fortifying the roster.  And if Darnold is mediocre next year Douglas will have the resources needed (two or three firsts) to get his QB in the 2022 draft.

Who?  What QB is coming out in 2022? What if we don't get the #1 pick and lose out on the next great QB of 2022.

No guarantees on anything. 

Except there's always next year and 52 years and counting. 

I am sorry, I see all these posts about drafting a QB but I cannot say anyone in this class, perhaps even TL jumps out and screams potential franchise QB.  

Last year I felt Herbert, Burrow and Love did have that potential.

Two years ago, I  felt none had it - I was shocked that Kyler Murray went #1 overall, and Daniel Jones went in the first round.  I still feel, as talented as he is, Kyler will never be one to push his team over the top.

Three years ago I felt that it was Sam Darnold and only Sam Darnold, I saw Baker Mayfield as a very distant second and nobody else was even worthy of a 1st round pick.  I sure AF was wrong about Josh Allen, as far as Lamar Jackson goes - he's a lot better than I imagined, but there is something missing from his game.

In 2017 I thought Watson was the only potential franchise QB - well thank God I am not a GM.

In 2016 I thought they all would be busts, Goff, Wentz, Lynch...I guess I was kinda right, never saw Dak coming though.

Whats the point of all this?  Drafting a QB in the first round is more often than not a wasted premium pick, more often than any other position you draft for.

Now really look closely at this year's class - they all suck.  None of these guys are great, they are just hyped.

Does that mean I want to trade for a sure thing like Watson?  Think of this - how many players on the Jets would start for another NFL team?  On offense: Becton, McGovern, Crowder and Darnold.   On Defense: QWill, Foley Fat, CJ and Maye.   Thats pretty sad.   Perhaps we can develop some of the younger guys like Phillips, Franklin-Myers, Sheppard, Huff, Zuniga, Hall and Austin on D, and Clark and Mims on O.   Still there are too many holes left to fill.    We need two WRs, a franchise RB, two TE's, two OL, Two LBs, 2 CB's and a S.    That's right - 12 position players are needed to make us a playoff team, maybe you can get four from FA, but that still leaves 8 holes = not one of which is QB.   

Conclusion,  trade down in the draft. finish building the OL, get a real RB, and a WR, Edge, CB and S. roll with Sam next year, determine if Morgan has any potential and keep an eye on the QB class of 2022.  If everything falls into place, with a new coach and some new faces, we could make the playoffs next  year.  Trading for Watson is fools gold at this point, our roster is no better than Houston's.

My 2021 draft simulator bull$hit:

• NYJ
    Kyle Pitts
    TE Florida
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Alijah Vera-Tucker
    OT USC
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Wyatt Davis
    OG Ohio State

• NYJ
    Trevon Moehrig
    S TCU
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Creed Humphrey
    OC Oklahoma

• NYJ
    Elijah Moore
    WR Mississippi

• NYJ
    Rhamondre Stevenson
    RB Oklahoma
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Trey Sermon
    RB Ohio State

• NYJ
    D’Wayne Eskridge
    WR Western Michigan
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Osa Odighizuwa
    DT UCLA

• NYJ
    Josh Imatorbhebhe
    WR Illinois

• NYJ
    Malcolm Koonce
    EDGE Buffalo
    trade icon

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

I am sorry, I see all these posts about drafting a QB but I cannot say anyone in this class, perhaps even TL jumps out and screams potential franchise QB.  

Last year I felt Herbert, Burrow and Love did have that potential.

Two years ago, I  felt none had it - I was shocked that Kyler Murray went #1 overall, and Daniel Jones went in the first round.  I still feel, as talented as he is, Kyler will never be one to push his team over the top.

Three years ago I felt that it was Sam Darnold and only Sam Darnold, I saw Baker Mayfield as a very distant second and nobody else was even worthy of a 1st round pick.  I sure AF was wrong about Josh Allen, as far as Lamar Jackson goes - he's a lot better than I imagined, but there is something missing from his game.

In 2017 I thought Watson was the only potential franchise QB - well thank God I am not a GM.

In 2016 I thought they all would be busts, Goff, Wentz, Lynch...I guess I was kinda right, never saw Dak coming though.

Whats the point of all this?  Drafting a QB in the first round is more often than not a wasted premium pick, more often than any other position you draft for.

Now really look closely at this year's class - they all suck.  None of these guys are great, they are just hyped.

Does that mean I want to trade for a sure thing like Watson?  Think of this - how many players on the Jets would start for another NFL team?  On offense: Becton, McGovern, Crowder and Darnold.   On Defense: QWill, Foley Fat, CJ and Maye.   Thats pretty sad.   Perhaps we can develop some of the younger guys like Phillips, Franklin-Myers, Sheppard, Huff, Zuniga, Hall and Austin on D, and Clark and Mims on O.   Still there are too many holes left to fill.    We need two WRs, a franchise RB, two TE's, two OL, Two LBs, 2 CB's and a S.    That's right - 12 position players are needed to make us a playoff team, maybe you can get four from FA, but that still leaves 8 holes = not one of which is QB.   

Conclusion,  trade down in the draft. finish building the OL, get a real RB, and a WR, Edge, CB and S. roll with Sam next year, determine if Morgan has any potential and keep an eye on the QB class of 2022.  If everything falls into place, with a new coach and some new faces, we could make the playoffs next  year.  Trading for Watson is fools gold at this point, our roster is no better than Houston's.

My 2021 draft simulator bull$hit:

• NYJ
    Kyle Pitts
    TE Florida
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Alijah Vera-Tucker
    OT USC
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Wyatt Davis
    OG Ohio State

• NYJ
    Trevon Moehrig
    S TCU
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Creed Humphrey
    OC Oklahoma

• NYJ
    Elijah Moore
    WR Mississippi

• NYJ
    Rhamondre Stevenson
    RB Oklahoma
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Trey Sermon
    RB Ohio State

• NYJ
    D’Wayne Eskridge
    WR Western Michigan
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Osa Odighizuwa
    DT UCLA

• NYJ
    Josh Imatorbhebhe
    WR Illinois

• NYJ
    Malcolm Koonce
    EDGE Buffalo
    trade icon

Too many RBs, not enough legit WR talent.  

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Too many RBs, not enough legit WR talent.  

You cannot look at this years WR class and say - ooh there's my WR1, I like Chase, but I don't think he's a WR1,  Waddle could be, but maybe not, I fear Devonta - I really do - I feel he has a lower floor that Waddle or Chase.  So why overdraft due to need - that's not how to build a winning team.  Pitts is a beast who after he adds to his frame a bit can become a dominate TE.   As for RB - we have one RB on our Roster worthy of being on next year's team and he looked only ehh in his rookie season.   Our only hope at landing a WR1 is signing Allen Robinson.    

Let's build a top 5 OL, add a couple of backs, a beast at TE and a few intriguing WRs.  This is not a year for QB's or WRs.  Not in love with the Edge talent either.   Once again the Jets have no luck.  Imagine Chase Young was coming out this year with TL - SMH.  

• Upvote 1

I think the crowd that wants to preserve our picks, and build around Darnold is missing something. Especially the people that don't even think he's good, but just want to preserve the capital and evaluate the next QB classes. 

Best case scenario is we build a successful team, but if we don't have a QB we'll still not be competitive, nor be bad enough to get a top pick (if the previous capital was a success like people want to bet on). This lands us where we have to give up large capital to get the QB we need, but in the future which ends up putting us in a circle of still giving up capital to get a QB when we have an open lane to do it now.

It's worth noting that only 1 QB ever has had such a poor statistical profile, and turned out to be good (Alex Smith). So the odds are way against Darnold no matter what. It's just a bad idea all around to push back getting a QB this year. We NEED to get Watson or draft a guy at the top. Watson is choice A, QB at #2 is choice B. There is no other reasonable choice.

• Post of the Week 1