Well I want to draft DW and we passed on him, of course. Many were saying he was never going to be a good NFL QB. I said it then and I will say it again, the kid is a winner.
I would Never give up what Houston is asking for to get Watson we had our chance and blew it.
So what now, rather then give up all those picks in would bring back Fitz as a mentor keep Sam and see just what we have in Morgan. Saw the guy play in collage he has an above average arm and is very smart. Let him and Sam fight it out with Fitz ready to take the rains for a year if they can’t win the job outright. I am so curious as to why we have not heard one thing about how Morgan is progressing good or bad. Guess we will find out in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Well I want to draft DW and we passed on him, of course. Many were saying he was never going to be a good NFL QB. I said it then and I will say it again, the kid is a winner.
I would Never give up what Houston is asking for to get Watson we had our chance and blew it.
So what now, rather then give up all those picks in would bring back Fitz as a mentor keep Sam and see just what we have in Morgan. Saw the guy play in collage he has an above average arm and is very smart. Let him and Sam fight it out with Fitz ready to take the rains for a year if they can’t win the job outright. I am so curious as to why we have not heard one thing about how Morgan is progressing good or bad. Guess we will find out in the spring.

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I think the crowd that wants to preserve our picks, and build around Darnold is missing something. Especially the people that don't even think he's good, but just want to preserve the capital and evaluate the next QB classes. 

Best case scenario is we build a successful team, but if we don't have a QB we'll still not be competitive, nor be bad enough to get a top pick (if the previous capital was a success like people want to bet on). This lands us where we have to give up large capital to get the QB we need, but in the future which ends up putting us in a circle of still giving up capital to get a QB when we have an open lane to do it now.

It's worth noting that only 1 QB ever has had such a poor statistical profile, and turned out to be good (Alex Smith). So the odds are way against Darnold no matter what. It's just a bad idea all around to push back getting a QB this year. We NEED to get Watson or draft a guy at the top. Watson is choice A, QB at #2 is choice B. There is no other reasonable choice.

Flacco also probably had a poor statistical profile and won a SB which is why there is a pro sam contingent.  

We should be looking at a replacement regardless but because Joe Douglas and Darnold share a agent they seem committed to getting darnold that payday. 

Imo any competent GM wouldn’t hedge their bets on a 3 year basement QB in this modern NFL 

Douglas’s professional fate likely rests on his decision relating to Darnold and the QB position. He’s not going to risk his future and his reputation on doing his agent a solid.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Dude/dudette we just did that in 2020 and ended up 2-14  in case  you missed it. 

Are you dense? The 2020 Jets are NOT the 2021 Jets with all the weapons and hole fillers our draft ammo will bring. 

9 hours ago, fltflo said:

It is strange that the people 3 years ago who called me a retarded person for saying Watson could be like Dak Prescott in the NFL are now making asinine trade proposals saying we need to send 4-7 first round picks for the guy

15 hours ago, Grandy said:

I think the crowd that wants to preserve our picks, and build around Darnold is missing something. Especially the people that don't even think he's good, but just want to preserve the capital and evaluate the next QB classes. 

Best case scenario is we build a successful team, but if we don't have a QB we'll still not be competitive, nor be bad enough to get a top pick (if the previous capital was a success like people want to bet on). This lands us where we have to give up large capital to get the QB we need, but in the future which ends up putting us in a circle of still giving up capital to get a QB when we have an open lane to do it now.

It's worth noting that only 1 QB ever has had such a poor statistical profile, and turned out to be good (Alex Smith). So the odds are way against Darnold no matter what. It's just a bad idea all around to push back getting a QB this year. We NEED to get Watson or draft a guy at the top. Watson is choice A, QB at #2 is choice B. There is no other reasonable choice.

Ehh, there's been others.  Vinny T looked like the worst QB ever until Little Bill brought him to Cleveland.   Drew Brees was good but not all world with the Chargers.  Rich Gannon was garbage until the Raiders gave him Jerry Rice, Tim Brown and Jerry Porter.  Another former Raider - Jim Plunkett.  Maybe add Ryan Tannenhill to that list.

Has Darnold done anything to make us feel like he has the potential to be a franchise QB?  He showed glimpses his rookie year and had a few good games in his mono year.  This year I feel like he had a bad attitude from day one, maybe it was because he lost his most reliable target, maybe its because he realized the OL still stunk or maybe he just got fed up with Gase.  Gase's offense was extremely uncreative yet very complicated - it required the WRs to read the defense and adjust their routes accordingly and the QB to see it the same way as the WRs do.   You need very good chemistry with your WRs for this to work - 1st Gase season, Darnold caught mono but then had a few really good games, 2nd season - no OTA's, limited practice time and no weapons to practice with.   You cannot disagree that Darnold was placed in a historically bad situation the past two years PERIOD! 

23 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

DeShaun Watson deal doesn't happen. 

Sam Darnold 

James Morgan

#2 Draft Pick 

Free Agent QB's 

QB's available via trade.

What do we do. 

Discuss. 

***DELETE THIS THREAD***  Discuss

Punt and trade down from #2. There’s not a QB in this draft that will be ready to take the reigns on day one, and frankly I don’t think any but Lawrence has ability to be a top 5 QB long term. Build the team with the picks we have and look to the 2022 draft for the franchise QB. There are more prospects and we will be in good position with two #1’s again.

i think this subject has been batted around quite a bit.  i really don't know but i don't think any of the qbs in the draft after lawrence is really worthy of the no. 2 pick so i think i'd be inclined to field trade back offers.  if a qb is in the card then still try to get the guy between 10-15 or then not until later rounds.  i suspect one of the top 5 prospects will be available.