The “Talk About Any 2021 Jets Quarterback NOT Named Deshaun Watson” Thread

SAR I

38 minutes ago, chijet said:

There is not another player in the league that statistically ranks at the bottom for their position but can potentially net a 2nd round pick in return.  Take advantage of that and trade Darnold and draft Wilson.  You cannot punt on a QB this year if you're sitting at 2.  

This is almost certainly to be what actually happens. 

I don't know if they get a second rounder (probably a 3rd) But Sam WILL be traded and the Jets will take a QB at 2.

I think it'll be Wilson.

Sam is young enough to be believed to still be developed. So many teams need QBs soon with all of these old dudes possibly retiring. 

Look at our 2nd round draft picks over the last 20 years & tell me you, as a Jet fan wouldn't want to take a flyer on a guy as young as him if he was playing for say Detroit? 

I don't want him here because the guy clearly needs a change of scenery, between getting Mono, getting dinged a couple times playing behind a horrendous Oline & he clearly hasn't worked hard enough on his game. Our Jets need a reset & Sam needs a reset (he needs to get his Mojo back). 

His teammates have lost faith in him here in NY, I've noticed that for some time how he gets thrown to the ground & no one takes issue with it. 

I'm personally in the ANYONE BUT DARNOLD camp. My preference would obviously be Watson, but this thread was started on the premise that's impossible so I would trade for Stafford (decent contract numbers for 2 years), I would trade back in the draft IF POSSIBLE a couple of spots, and I try to come out of this draft with TOP playmakers & Olineman out of Devonta Smith, or Chase, then Slater & a CB. Before the draft I'd be trying to add Thuney & anyone of Allen Robinson, or Godwin, or make a trade for Gallup. I'd sign Williams from Green Bay on the cheap & roll with Williams, Ty Johnson & Perine at RB so I'm picking a Center (Josh Myers), an edge or CB. 

We should able to fill every hole on this team between free agency & the draft especially if we can trade back & add another #2 & #3. 

I keep hearing how we won't compete in the division in 2021? Why? We could have Stafford at QB, a WR group of Robinson- Mims-Crowder (D.Smith or Chase) with a tough Oline of Becton-Thuney-Myers-McGovern-Fant & Jamal Williams-Perine-Johnson in the backfield! 

Develop Morgan behind Stafford for 2 years. In 2022 we'll have enough picks to get a QB if we're not happy where we are or say Trey Lance drops? Crazy sh*t happens all the time during the draft. This is going to be the wildest offseason in years. Love having Saleh, such a great start already. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Jethead said:

way prefer Stafford to a wild guess at #2. Reminds me of Vinny. 

You Stafford guys really boggle my mind.

In 11 years.

74-90-1 regular season record

3 playoff appearances

0-3 in the playoffs

And this is guy you want to lead the Jets future.

Talk about a defeated fan base...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

way prefer Stafford to a wild guess at #2. Reminds me of Vinny. 

Problem is that Stafford is only under contract until 2022; his original contract ran through 23, but Detroit voided the last year when he restructured 

No way I am swapping 2 for 7 for a two year band-aid.  He has been on some horrifically bad Lions teams.  If we don't turn it around in two years, he probably goes somewhere with a better chance to win.  Difference between him and Vinny is that Vinny was a FA, we didn't have to give up draft capital for him.

I prefer going Wilson/Fields at 2, and using our remaining draft capital and cap space to build around the rookie.  If JD/Saleh do not believe any draft QBs are potential top 10 QBs (other than Lawerence) then go the FA route and bring in a guy to compete with Sam and Morgan.  Only QB I would part with draft capital for is he who shall not be named in this thread.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Wilson over Fields because:

• Live arm and better accuracy

• Better field vision

• Quicker processor (looks off receivers easily)

And for everybody saying Wilson played against lesser competition?

He was also throwing to people and being blocked by people who are going to be accountants, financial analysts, and Mormon missionaries after graduation.

I like Wilson and would be happy with him at 2, but I disagree with this statement. 

3 of his OL this past season are expected to be drafted this year, maybe not round 1 guys, but C James Empey, G Tristen Hoge and OT Brady Christenson are all likely day 3 picks in the draft as is WR Dax Milne.  It is not like he played for a D3 team.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, RSJ said:

I like the idea of running iy back with Sam. Picking up his 5th year option wont kill us. If it doesnt work out we have a lot of picks next year to get a QB and an extra year of free agency to add even more pieces to surround our new rookie QB if Sam fails.

Even if we do decide to go with Sam, there's definitely no need to pick up that 5th year option.  It would be overpaying.  Even if he performs well, i don't believe any team would pay him that much until they see him perform at a very high level consistently.  What are the chances we get to pick this high again.  You don't want to have to waste too many picks trading up like we did for Sam.  3 2nd's just to move up 3 spots from 6-3.

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

I like Wilson and would be happy with him at 2, but I disagree with this statement. 

3 of his OL this past season are expected to be drafted this year, maybe not round 1 guys, but C James Empey, G Tristen Hoge and OT Brady Christenson are all likely day 3 picks in the draft as is WR Dax Milne.  It is not like he played for a D3 team.

It was definitely hyperbole, but compared to what Fields and Mac Jones have to work with...its night and day.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

kind of reminds when the giaints had kurt warner for a season.  warner chose to leave instead of keeping the seat warm for his successor.  i guess it would be different for stafford since the jets don't really have a hare apparent unless they select a guy this draft with the idea that they keep selecting qbs until they find one.  and yes, staffords contract is way more friendly than watson's.

Yes and no, Stafford is going to get a new deal in 1 year (2 if a team is lucky) which will put him near the top of the league again. Watson is at a fixed rate the next 5 years so years 3,4,5 will all be cheaper than Stafford most likely.

Wilson is a diva who has not earned the right, poor man's Baker Mayfield - no thanks

Fields couldn't beat out Jake Fromm for God's sake

Stafford is a proven NFL QB, better than Vinny, better than Carson Palmer. If he costs us Sam and a draft pick and some of Woody's money in 2 years because he put us back on the map, what's not to like?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, the longer this flirtation with Watson goes on, the less likely it becomes that you can bring Darnold back. You have current Jets players and alumni liking tweets and commenting on a Watson trade, which is revealing about what they think about Sam inside that locker room. And if they bring Richard Sherman in, Sherman is going to openly advocate for the trade. Darnold doesn’t help himself by being a Cali-boy sulky recluse mush, but how does he walk back into Florham Park after this offseason? 

So because some players are acting like Jamal Adams , one who is not even on our team and openly says we better not give up more than the #2 overall the current Qb is on the outs?

I'm sure Joe douglas is saying, omg we can;t bring back darnold cause richard sherman wants us to get watson.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So because some players are acting like Jamal Adams , one who is not even on our team and openly says we better not give up more than the #2 overall the current Qb is on the outs?

I'm sure Joe douglas is saying, omg we can;t bring back darnold cause richard sherman wants us to get watson.

I think one of Darnold’s massive failings is that his personality is better suited to a career selling weed out of a backpack to skateboarders on the Santa Monica Pier. He doesn’t inspire or elevate anyone, and he’s incapable of holding anyone accountable for clear and obvious ****ups. He’s a very nice young beta male, which is not conducive to becoming a successful NFL QB. It is a problem.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

In 11 years.

3 playoff appearances

0-3 in the playoffs

Matt Stafford is an overrated has been

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know if they get a second rounder (probably a 3rd) But Sam WILL be traded and the Jets will take a QB at 2.

I still don't understand why Sam's troubles aren't caused by the worst offensive guru in NFL history who we ran out of town on a rail.

If Gase is as bad as everyone said he is, why can't Darnold be righted by a very competent offensive coordinator and quarterback coach?  Isn't that what you'd expect after the Gase hurricane whipped through Florham Park?

SAR I

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

I still don't understand why Sam's troubles aren't caused by the worst offensive guru in NFL history who we ran out of town on a rail.

If Gase is as bad as everyone said he is, why can't Darnold be righted by a very competent offensive coordinator and quarterback coach?  Isn't that what you'd expect after the Gase hurricane whipped through Florham Park?

SAR I

Because Sam never even really flashed.

Coach or no coach there would be something watching him that says...WOW! He had a bit of that his rookie year, but since then...really nothing at all that told me under the right circumstances this guy can take us to the Super Bowl.  time to move on from Sam.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The next 3 times you drive your BMW take a piss  in the gas tank before you drive. Then we can discuss this. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I can turn it around by also asking why is Gase still jobless?

I think Darnold will get another shot. Our defense will improve, and either Sam will show is something or whatever backup the Jets sign (mullens perhaps?) will play the string and we will have another draft. 
Maybe deshaun held out and we trade for him then, but one way or another we will know.

Other scenario is that Morgan is actually good, but I’m not pinning my hopes in that.

it’s depressing because that’s another lost season with Sam but who knows, maybe Gase is just THAT bad. 

10 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

playtowinthegame's list of quarterbacks for the Jets in 2021.

Updated List/Rankings:

YES

1 Deshaun Watson (Trade)

2 Justin Fields (Draft)

3 Zach Wilson (Draft)

NO

1 Sam Darnold (incumbent)

2 Jared Goff (trade)

UNDECIDED 

Mac Jones ( Draft)

Trey Lance (Draft)

Mitchell Trubisky (Free Agency)

Mostly agree with this, but we already have Trubisky with a weaker arm on our roster, and Trubisky is still Trubisky.

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

In 11 years.

3 playoff appearances

0-3 in the playoffs

8 times over 4,000 yards, once over 5,000, 282 tds to 144 ints never under 64% in his last 6 years

He is a quality NFL QB playing on bad teams.  Quite often with lousy olines.

He is currently better than a LOT of current starters.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I can turn it around by also asking why is Gase still jobless?

Gase sucked. I don’t debate that.  

But now I ask myself if Gase was that bad, why doesn’t that mean Darnold may still be good?   

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase sucked. I don’t debate that.  

But now I ask myself if Gase was that bad, why doesn’t that mean Darnold may still be good?   

SAR I

I think that’s what the brain trust there thinks too. It sucks because it means an extra year where the franchise has to wait until we move on. 

• Upvote 1