The ***OFFICIAL*** Sammy is coming back THREAD let's talk about the weaponz we can add with our top picks

56 minutes ago, PepPep said:

It's not that simple. Sam would have to make a MASSIVE leap to play even close to on par with Watson. I just don't see it. Ok. Let's say he improves. In fact, I know he will improve. Let's say he improves considerably. Now the Jets need to re-sign him. So lets say they DO re-sign him. Now Sam is OUR guy. Are we convinced he will continue to improve? Improve enough to be a FQB? Enough to actually win in the playoffs? I don't see it. And I certainly don't think we will know after one season, even if you trade down and add a bunch of talented rookies around him. That's the rub.   

If you take a QB at #2 at least you are starting from scratch and you don't have to 'fix' a QB or hope he turns things around. Sure, he may be a bust but you have him on a rookie deal. And you can mold him. Sam is shell shocked. At least to a degree. 

If you trade for Watson, that's really the best case scenario. That accelerates your rebuild. now you have the QB position solved. Boom. Done. A FQB in his prime. And you still have plenty of draft capital to work with, you still have plenty of cap space to work with. This assumes the Jets give up three first rounders for him.  

I'm not pretending to know if he'll become a true FQB but I believe it's worth the risk.  He's been saddled with injuries (his own and teammates), truly horrific coaching, lack of dynamic play makers, and wildly inconsistent lineups.  Watson wouldn't have done jack sht with Gase and this team this year.

Trading for Watson leaves gaping holes at numerous positions most of which can be solved the next 2 drafts if you keep your picks. 

Just watching how JD has worked, listening to his press conferences, and seeing the moves he's made, I don't see him blowing his proverbial wad on a monster trade for a QB especially after seeing how leaving the cupboard bare just resulted in a 2 win season.

I think everyone here would take Watson and include the # 2 pick overall but if you include that pick you can not give them more than 1 of our other 1st rounders the next 2 years.  Throw in Darnold and a mid round pick if you must but that has to be the cap. 

I think JD and Saleh will ultimately decide they can win with Sam and take that risk.  I also think they'll be rewarded if they do.

It's a pretty fascinating situation... I'll give you that.  I don't think it's an easy decision.

I do however think if Watson is off the table it becomes a much easier decision.  They'll stick with Sam for sure and do everything they can to trade back a few spots.

• Upvote 1

If we keep Sam it doesn’t mean the Jets can’t still draft another Qb. Don’t we lead the league in recent years in terms of number of QBs drafted. So if we don’t use our top pick on a Qb (we could trade back and select one just not use the overall #2) And we have the #23 from Seattle. Part of the decision could depend on their evaluation of James Morgan. Is he going to be ready to compete in 2021 or is he still not ready or maybe even a guy they might cut. And we could make a trade a guy like Minshew could be available as a backup or to compete with Sam. I’d like to see competition for the starting Qb job. When just handed to a guy like Sam or Mark you don’t always get good performances. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I don't know if Sam is shot or not but in their first few years Vinny and Steve Young looked like crap on a bad Tampa team.. As good as Watson is he still went 4-10 on a bad team Sam went 7-9 on a bad team in 2019..:getgreen:

as did plunkett and williams.  i'm open to him coming back with a decent oline and good receivers but i just don't think he should be handed the job.  let saleh and douglas and lefleur do their evaluation first.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

:Darnold takes the snap and drops back as Penei Sewell pancakes his man and Jaylen Waddle is running five yards behind the CB covering him. Darnold, for some reason, starts shuffling his feet, finally running to his right looking for Jamison Crowder, who is no longer on the roster. Waddle is standing alone in the end zone as Darnold flips the ball meekly into the turf with a sidearm, frisbee-throwing motion. Back in the huddle, Darnold apologizes to the team for the 26th play in a row, claiming he’s “seeing ghosts” again. As it turns out, “ghosts” are the product of smoking weed resin out of a repurposed Gerber baby food jar the night before.:

Dabs, old timer. They're called dabs.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'm not pretending to know if he'll become a true FQB but I believe it's worth the risk.  He's been saddled with injuries (his own and teammates), truly horrific coaching, lack of dynamic play makers, and wildly inconsistent lineups.  Watson wouldn't have done jack sht with Gase and this team this year.

Trading for Watson leaves gaping holes at numerous positions most of which can be solved the next 2 drafts if you keep your picks. 

Just watching how JD has worked, listening to his press conferences, and seeing the moves he's made, I don't see him blowing his proverbial wad on a monster trade for a QB especially after seeing how leaving the cupboard bare just resulted in a 2 win season.

I think everyone here would take Watson and include the # 2 pick overall but if you include that pick you can not give them more than 1 of our other 1st rounders the next 2 years.  Throw in Darnold and a mid round pick if you must but that has to be the cap. 

I think JD and Saleh will ultimately decide they can win with Sam and take that risk.  I also think they'll be rewarded if they do.

It's a pretty fascinating situation... I'll give you that.  I don't think it's an easy decision.

I do however think if Watson is off the table it becomes a much easier decision.  They'll stick with Sam for sure and do everything they can to trade back a few spots.

Fair enough. The flip coin is that if the Jets roll with Sam and he flops, they could find themselves stuck in mediocrity having missed out on a potential Franchise QB in Watson and a potential Franchise QB they could have taken at #2. There is absolutely no guarantee they will be in a position to draft a Franchise QB in the next 3-5 years. 

And again, the Jets have holes, but let's not act like they can't fill those hole in FA and the draft- even if they lose 3 first rounders over the next 2 years- Especially since they will be adding a FQB (thats one major hole). 

Lets assume they bring back Maye. They need at least one starting caliber G. They need at least one starting caliber CB. They need a legit Pass Rusher. They need a starting caliber WR and a starting caliber RB.  Now, that's a lot. That's a TON. But FA should AT LEAST take care of 2 starting spots. AT MINIMUM. Even if they lose both first rounders this year, they should get ONE starter from the draft. Thats 3 of the 5 desperate needs AT MINIMUM that should be taken care of. And I'm being conservative. The Jets should be able to draft/sign depth as well. This would be one offseason.  

This idea that a Watson trade will leave the cupboard bare and prevent the Jets from building around Watson is simply inaccurate. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This idea that a Watson trade will leave the cupboard bare and prevent the Jets from building around Watson is simply inaccurate. 

Until Houston says we will entertain offers for Watson this board is like a bunch of 8 year olds in toys are us with unlimited funds to buy stuff..B)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

This is a weak take. First off, find a player who criticizes Sam. They're few and far between. Secondly, money. 

A weak take LOL. I like Sam, but I'm no longer in denial. Sam was a bottom rated QB last year - even when he had time to throw. He made bad reads and missed open receivers for TDs. That's not all on the coaching or line. Why on earth would Allen Robinson want to come here when he's tired of playing with Trubisky? I hope I'm proven wrong if we keep Sam. I think keeping Sam is option #3 right now for this team, so I doubt we'll find out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Everyone keeps saying Joe Douglas isn’t tied to Sam but they do share a agent and Imo that would be the only reason he comes back for another year. Why would a team bank on a 3 year loser magically turning it around when you have multiple and better options? 

The fact that the jets are saying Sam basically needs a training wheels offense going into his 4th season screams he isn’t the guy. Even if Sam has a good year next year do we bank on him continuing that upwards trend, pay him massive amounts of $$$$$ when he's NEVER been a consistent player? 

If Sam Darnold is the undisputed starter in 2021 we have some serious problems and potential corruption in our front office imo ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Everyone keeps saying Joe Douglas isn’t tied to Sam but they do share a agent and Imo that would be the only reason he comes back for another year.

You keep trying to promote this hot take but it's poppeycock.  JD isn't retaining Sam so their agent can make a higher commission on a potential new contract for Sam a year from now.  

If Sam is back it's because JD, Saleh, and Lafleur think he can turn it around.  Thats it.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Bad narrative... JD and Saleh will have at least 4 more years together if not more to build this team... So while you might not like it, you better get used to it... We just got rid of the cancer that was Gase, and already you're calling for JD's head...

Now that the team has a HC and Douglas appears to be fully in charge of the roster, there's no more important question for this franchise than "who will be the starting QB in 2021-22"? 

If Douglas has options available to him (whether that be Watson, a rookie, or a capable alternative veteran option) and chooses to let Darnold be the unquestioned starting QB in 2021, that would demonstrate his judgment is extremely flawed.  

At bare minimum, the expectation should be that Darnold will miss 3+ games this season due to injury or ailment, since that's happened to him every season he's been in the league to date.  If your starting QB of choice can't stay healthy for a full 16, and you're looking to build up the roster into a contender as soon as possible, then you at LEAST need to add a QB capable of creating a legitimate competition this Summer.

So, yes, I will be joining the crowd calling for Douglas' head if he doesn't at minimum bring in legitimate competition for the QB job in 2021, despite being one of JD's biggest supporters to date.  Let's all hope he's at least smart enough to do this, regardless of anyone's thoughts on Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

4 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If we walk away in free agency with Curtis Samuel as our big ticket free agent. I’ll be pissed. 

This is what you get if Darnold is your QB.  

If Watson is your QB, you get someone like Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay, or Corey Davis.  

And I do like Samuel, for the record.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pac said:

You keep trying to promote this hot take but it's poppeycock.  JD isn't retaining Sam so their agent can make a higher commission on a potential new contract for Sam a year from now.  

If Sam is back it's because JD, Saleh, and Lafleur think he can turn it around.  Thats it.

If I typed something promoting Sam it would be no problem obviously.

I highly doubt Jimmy Sexton isn’t behind the scenes influencing this QB decision. Idc what you or anyone one else may think but this is multiple millions in a nfl contract and endorsements on the line. The person who makes the decision on sams future is managed by the same guy Sam is, how can you not see that at the least something isn’t right with this picture?

Darnold is the worst ranked QB in the league on a expiring contract, we are in a offseason of viable replacements, with a brand new coaching staff and a GM that didn’t draft Darnold. The NYJ should have a new starting QB in 2021 period, or at the least viable competition, or a top rookie prospect sitting behind darnold.  Saying this I still don’t believe it’s smart to keep Darnold he should be traded for more draft picks imo 

besides this is just my opinion 

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

No one is calling for JDs head but the QB decision will be his. He builds the roster. If he passes on a qb and he ends up being good and sam maintains a game manager you don’t think JD will be criticized?

Do you know how many “mac passed on mahomes” threads there are in this place?

I didn't say he couldn't get criticized... but I think we should get ready for another year of Darnold... I have no clue, but that's just my gut talking.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Now that the team has a HC and Douglas appears to be fully in charge of the roster, there's no more important question for this franchise than "who will be the starting QB in 2021-22"? 

If Douglas has options available to him (whether that be Watson, a rookie, or a capable alternative veteran option) and chooses to let Darnold be the unquestioned starting QB in 2021, that would demonstrate his judgment is extremely flawed.  

At bare minimum, the expectation should be that Darnold will miss 3+ games this season due to injury or ailment, since that's happened to him every season he's been in the league to date.  If your starting QB of choice can't stay healthy for a full 16, and you're looking to build up the roster into a contender as soon as possible, then you at LEAST need to add a QB capable of creating a legitimate competition this Summer.

So, yes, I will be joining the crowd calling for Douglas' head if he doesn't at minimum bring in legitimate competition for the QB job in 2021, despite being one of JD's biggest supporters to date.  Let's all hope he's at least smart enough to do this, regardless of anyone's thoughts on Sam Darnold.

Agree... While I might like Sam back next year, it has to be with some legit competition... I believe that is the way to light the fire under his A$$ lol... At least with legit competition, if he loses out we know we gave him his last shot.

7 hours ago, freestater said:

It's official. 

The thread that is. But common....we all know the jets are bringing back Sammy and are going to surround him with as much talent as they can get. Pitts maybe, depending on how far we trade back. Chase is still my top WR, Smith definitely a 1a. I'd really like an interior lineman at 23 or 34. Who else ya got?

OMG I would karate fight you so bad right now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I highly doubt Jimmy Sexton isn’t behind the scenes influencing this QB decision. Idc what you or anyone one else may think but this is multiple millions in a nfl contract and endorsements on the line. The person who makes the decision on sams future is managed by the same guy Sam is, how can you not see that at the least something isn’t right with this picture?

That's one hell of a conspiracy theory.  Are you actually suggesting that Douglas thinks that Darnold needs to go, but his agent is talking him out of it?  And Douglas is willing to risk his own job to do Sexton a solid?  Sexton is Gase's agent too.  Did that save him?

By the way, if Sexton was looking out for Darnold's interest, he'd be influencing Joe D. to trade him, not keep him.  I'm not saying that Darnold can't turn it around with the Jets, but I think the odds would go up if he got a fresh start with another team.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, freestater said:

It's official. 

The thread that is. But common....we all know the jets are bringing back Sammy and are going to surround him with as much talent as they can get. Pitts maybe, depending on how far we trade back. Chase is still my top WR, Smith definitely a 1a. I'd really like an interior lineman at 23 or 34. Who else ya got?

Can Pitts Block?  I love the idea of a complete TE with his receiving ability.