The ***OFFICIAL*** Sammy is coming back THREAD let's talk about the weaponz we can add with our top picks

16 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Sam 3 years 38 games 45 td's 39 picks \ John Elway 3 years 40 games 47 tds 52 picks I can do Vinny and Steve Young also..

Steve Young started 3 games in his 3rd year and went 2 and 1 with 10 TD's and 0 INT's and a QBR of 120.  Statistically irrelevant.    

John Elway in year 3 lead the league in attempts he was 2nd in total yards 4th in YPG, 7th in TD's and 18th in QBR.   FYI the Bronco's went 12 and 2 in his second year and 11 and 5 in his third year.  They were in the top 10 in offense with Elway asked to carry the offense in years 3.  

Sam in year 3 was 31st in YPG and the offense showed a steady progression downward from his first year to his 3rd year.  

Sam was asked to do nothing and produced nothing in his 3rd year.  Elway carried a mediocre team on his back in his 2nd and 3rd year in the league.   

Vinny was an absolute bust who didn't become a mediocre NFL QB until year 10 and had a nice run at the end of a career that was mostly crappy.  If you're willing to wait for year 10 with Sam the Vinny comparison might be a good one.  

• Upvote 1

If Darnold does stay, why not draft a QB at 2 for insurance. Might even beat out Sam for the starting position. I’m glad JD will be making the call backed by Salah. I’m sure they will get it right. 
At this point I don’t think the Jets can get any worse. 
Not sure how Salah transitions into the HC slot but I feel better about the organizational chart than I have in many years. 

On 1/30/2021 at 1:12 PM, T0mShane said:As it turns out, “ghosts” are the product of smoking weed resin out of a repurposed Gerber baby food jar the night before.:

I’ve actually done that, but never saw ghosts. Probably didn’t smoke enough.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

Steve Young started 3 games in his 3rd year and went 2 and 1 with 10 TD's and 0 INT's and a QBR of 120.  Statistically irrelevant.    

John Elway in year 3 lead the league in attempts he was 2nd in total yards 4th in YPG, 7th in TD's and 18th in QBR.   FYI the Bronco's went 12 and 2 in his second year and 11 and 5 in his third year.  They were in the top 10 in offense with Elway asked to carry the offense in years 3.  S

Elway in year 3 had 22 td's and 23 picks and a 54% completion avg Yes the Team did well they had a pretty good defense. Take Marino in year 2 48 td's 17 picks 64% and over 5,000 yds . Elway never passed for more then 27 tds in his career and made 4,000 just once. Steve Young in year 3 was on a stacked 49'er Bowl team he wasn't that hot in Tampa..

18 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Elway in year 3 had 22 td's and 23 picks and a 54% completion avg Yes the Team did well they had a pretty good defense. Take Marino in year 2 48 td's 17 picks 64% and over 5,000 yds . Elway never passed for more then 27 tds in his career and made 4,000 just once. Steve Young in year 3 was on a stacked 49'er Bowl team he wasn't that hot in Tampa..

Elway's stats on a comparative basis with other NFL QB's in year 3 was miles better than Sam.  Stats without context are simply meaningless.  Sam on a comparative basis with today's NFL QB's is a bottom feeder.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:42 AM, MaxAF said:

If Darnold does stay, why not draft a QB at 2 for insurance. Might even beat out Sam for the starting position. I’m glad JD will be making the call backed by Salah. I’m sure they will get it right. 
At this point I don’t think the Jets can get any worse. 
Not sure how Salah transitions into the HC slot but I feel better about the organizational chart than I have in many years. 

Because if you're drafting a QB at 2 it's to make him your franchise QB - and if you do that you want to do everything in your power to help him succeed.  

Having another young - first round QB taking practice reps, coaches attention and overall distraction is harming his growth.  

• Upvote 1

The fact that so many believe they know exactly what JD and Saleh intend to do for the QB position is laudable... I mean laughable, because frankly I do not think that either of them knows with 100% certainty what they will be doing at QB for the 2021 season. Suffice it to say, that if they feel Sam is the best option for the team on a whole, I am certain it will be Sam, but if a better option for the team becomes available, I am certain that they will choose that option.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Because if you're drafting a QB at 2 it's to make him your franchise QB - and if you do that you want to do everything in your power to help him succeed.  

Having another young - first round QB taking practice reps, coaches attention and overall distraction is harming his growth.  

Darnold is still on the cheap. A rookie QB will be short money. If the Jets are interested in Fields or Wilson they will pick him up at 2. If one of those guys proves to be a diamond in the ruff, and they pick the right one, it’s a win for the Jets. If not, he’s a backup. If Darnold continues to decline or gets injured you have a rookie to throw in. Team has to give 2 QB’s reps regardless of who they are. They might trade down or give their DP’s to Houston. Who knows, but my first guess is where JD is heading if he doesn’t make a blockbuster deal with the Texans. Hell QB’s used to be groomed for years before they saw any real game time. Steve Young is one that comes to mind. Sat behind Montana for years.

8 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Darnold is still on the cheap. A rookie QB will be short money. If the Jets are interested in Fields or Wilson they will pick him up at 2. If one of those guys proves to be a diamond in the ruff, and they pick the right one, it’s a win for the Jets. If not, he’s a backup. If Darnold continues to decline or gets injured you have a rookie to throw in. Team has to give 2 QB’s reps regardless of who they are. They might trade down or give their DP’s to Houston. Who knows, but my first guess is where JD is heading if he doesn’t make a blockbuster deal with the Texans. Hell QB’s used to be groomed for years before they saw any real game time. Steve Young is one that comes to mind. Sat behind Montana for years.

A rookie QB taken at 2 will cost roughly 6.5 million against the cap next year with a 35 million dollar dead cap hit.  Darnold will make about 9.7 on next years cap and will cost us a minimum of 25 million the following year if he's on the roster possibly in the 30's.  

Darnold value in trade drops the minute we use the 2 to pick a QB.  He's value is the highest before the draft and QB needed teams have made a decision to draft a QB.  Once an organization has decided to draft a QB they are less likely to dumpster dive.  The Cardinals might well have gotten a higher pick for Rosen from the Giants or the Redskins if they weren't committed by draft day.  

11 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Tom Shane sat behind Pamela Anderson at a game..:sheepf:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

A rookie QB taken at 2 will cost roughly 6.5 million against the cap next year with a 35 million dollar dead cap hit.  Darnold will make about 9.7 on next years cap and will cost us a minimum of 25 million the following year if he's on the roster possibly in the 30's.  

Darnold value in trade drops the minute we use the 2 to pick a QB.  He's value is the highest before the draft and QB needed teams have made a decision to draft a QB.  Once an organization has decided to draft a QB they are less likely to dumpster dive.  The Cardinals might well have gotten a higher pick for Rosen from the Giants or the Redskins if they weren't committed by draft day.  

So what do the Jets do strategically if they don’t sell the farm for Watson? Dump Sam and roll the dice on a rookie? Or go with Sam, dump the 2nd for more DP’s and get a later round QB scrub? IMHO the Jets are building their team in 2021, 2022....so grab a very good prospect QB at 2 and see how the season plays out. Darnold has gone down every year so far and if the Jets don’t have a viable replacement for him, the season goes in the dumpster. No easy answers on this one. Just playing out one of many scenarios. 

On 2/1/2021 at 7:23 AM, Biggs said:

John Elway in year 3 lead the league in attempts he was 2nd in total yards 4th in YPG, 7th in TD's and 18th in QBR.   FYI the Bronco's went 12 and 2 in his second year and 11 and 5 in his third year.  They were in the top 10 in offense with Elway asked to carry the offense in years 3.  

Sam in year 3 was 31st in YPG and the offense showed a steady progression downward from his first year to his 3rd year.  

Sam was asked to do nothing and produced nothing in his 3rd year.  Elway carried a mediocre team on his back in his 2nd and 3rd year in the league.   

Vinny was an absolute bust who didn't become a mediocre NFL QB until year 10 and had a nice run at the end of a career that was mostly crappy.  If you're willing to wait for year 10 with Sam the Vinny comparison might be a good one.  

The Gase factor in year 3.

19 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

So what do the Jets do strategically if they don’t sell the farm for Watson? Dump Sam and roll the dice on a rookie? Or go with Sam, dump the 2nd for more DP’s and get a later round QB scrub? IMHO the Jets are building their team in 2021, 2022....so grab a very good prospect QB at 2 and see how the season plays out. Darnold has gone down every year so far and if the Jets don’t have a viable replacement for him, the season goes in the dumpster. No easy answers on this one. Just playing out one of many scenarios. 

There's multiple approaches to building a good team. If they evaluate the QB's available in the draft and decide they want to take one with the 2nd pick you have to get as much value for Sam as you can.  That means trading him before the draft.

The No. 2 pick is a very valuable asset.  We don't use it on a QB to have him in a competition with Sam.  We can get a cheap vet for development or let the Captain start.