Stafford traded to Rams

Rhg1084

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, just no this thought that high end fa flock to top end guys like lemmings is faulty.

Dollars and term over rule all else.  With so few really god high end FA each year there is big completion.

We are not getting a flood of Fa no matter who we have at QB.

Disagree BF......even ARob is liking Watson to Jets along with their cap space. With the cap going down this year the Jets are well positioned to be the top destination if Watson comes. If we’re rolling with Sam, we’ll get the leftover FA or overpay.

39 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If Sam were going into his 3rd year I would agree. Unfortunately he is going into his 4th year and has disappointed on every level. He will be a FA after this season so let’s prepare for ‘22 by getting our Qi now (rookie) or win now with Watson for the next 5 years

Its not about what we think.  Add in its now what we think about a Fields or Wilson. 

You just cant say we can draft the #rated QB on our board so lets do it, its best for the team.  Its only best for the team if you believe hes better than Sam.

And it may be that hes going into year 4 to some but I have no idea how 3 would have been fine but 4 is a throw away player. 

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Disagree BF......even ARob is liking Watson to Jets along with their cap space. With the cap going down this year the Jets are well positioned to be the top destination if Watson comes. If we’re rolling with Sam, we’ll get the leftover FA or overpay.

Liking goes as far as:  Agent just told the player team B is offering more guaranteed money and term and are a true contender now.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Liking goes as far as:  Agent just told the player team B is offering more guaranteed money and term and are a true contender now.

Once Deshaun places his home on the market the Texans bargaining power goes in the toilet. Things can only get worse from here. The quicker they get a deal in place the better for them. Every day presents an opportunity for things to go south. Lock in the trade while you still have a chance to salvage 3 #1 picks

19 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If we’re rolling with Sam, we’ll get the leftover FA or overpay.

Nonsense, make the best offer and 99.9% of the time thats where players go. 

I would bet that there arent many who think Sam all be a detriment to their career.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I understand your thought process. You are assuming, based on what you know about Joe Douglas, that he has a business process reflecting what you believe is an inarguable truth...That Sam Darnold is a bad investment.

The data available to you,  from what I can see is inclusive.

I have my own projection, but me framing my projections as an inalienable end result...I struggle with.

You're very close but not quite there.

Joe Douglas will view this in very basic terms (if he hasn't already) He can roll the dice with Sam or roll the dice with a QB at 2 (DW is a whole other story). Both are a risk....

The conclusion he'll inevitably come to is - "If I'm wrong about Sam I'm fired in a year" - "If I draft Justin/Zach I have at least a three year window"...With Sam they HAVE to produce this year.  With a rookie there's time to build.

The ONLY way he sticks with Sam is if he believes Sam is still a substantially better prospect and there's virtually zero chance he can with either of these other two...

From what I've seen of Sam (which is plentiful) and the little I've seen of Justin/Zach that is not the case.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The conclusion he'll inevitably come to is - "If I'm wrong about Sam I'm fired in a year" -

"If I draft Justin/Zach I have at least a three year window".

The ONLY way he sticks with Sam is if he believes Sam is still a substantially better prospect and there's virtually zero chance he can with either of these other two...

From what I've seen of Sam (which is plentiful) and the little I've seen of Justin/Zach that is not the case.

All I am reading here are your opinions, projections and your conclusions, not Joe Douglas's conclusions.

You have not talked about the factoring in of different rebuilding approaches with completely different timelines on qb replacements. The permutations are endless, you have pinned your colors to one of them.

You are possibly right, you are possibly wrong. You have strongly held convictions but these are not yet truths. It's awkward not knowing but that is the only truth here.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The conclusion he'll inevitably come to is - "If I'm wrong about Sam I'm fired in a year" 

I don't think there's any scenario where JD is fired in a year. Even if he rolls with Darnold and Darnold is abysmal, he'll def get a chance to pick a guy in 2022.

The risk on his end is that it seems likely that his first choice of Fields/Wilson will be better than whoever he can draft in 2022.

• Upvote 2

I'm really intrigued to see what Stafford looks like on the Rams. He's kind of a tough guy to evaluate given that he's obviously physically gifted and has put up great numbers but hasn't really had a chance to showcase them in big games against good teams given the Lions ineptitude. I could see him having a "2016 Matt Ryanesque" MVP type season or only being pretty good. Rams are banking on the former.

It's funny, as bad as the Jets have been we've had limited success in spurts despite never having anything at QB. Imagine having Stafford and still never winning a playoff game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

All I am reading here are your opinions, projections and your conclusions, not Joe Douglas's conclusions.

You have not talked about the factoring in of different rebuilding approaches with completely different timelines on qb replacements. The permutations are endless, you have pinned your colors to one of them.

You are possibly right, you are possibly wrong. You have strongly held convictions but these are not yet truths. It's awkward not knowing but that is the only truth here.

Yes.  I’m not JD and of course I’m using hyperbole...

But when I look at the situation.  Understanding the NFL, the Jets and basic human nature.  It really is he only logical conclusion.
Sure I can be wrong, but I’m not :-)  

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think there's any scenario where JD is fired in a year. Even if he rolls with Darnold and Darnold is abysmal, he'll def get a chance to pick a guy in 2022.

The risk on his end is that it seems likely that his first choice of Fields/Wilson will be better than whoever he can draft in 2022.

You’re right.  If Sam is a disaster and Fields and Wilson are battling for Rookie of the year - He still doesn’t get fired...

But his seat will really start to heat up if Sam bombs...Banners will be flying, sport radios will have the lunatics screaming for his head.

All of the people giving him a pass for taking over a bad team and making it worse - will turn on him very quickly.

And you can say all you want that these guys don’t care about that stuff.  They do. It matters and makes their job harder.

6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

2017 11-5

2018 13-3

2019 9-7

2020 10 - 6

All without first round picks....always staying in a win now mode. I wish I was a Rams fan.....

That's 4 years. You said 7 years. 

I understand what you're saying .