Stafford traded to Rams

Rhg1084

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Was only a matter of time before NFL teams started doing what the Lions just pulled off. NBA teams have been doing it for a long time. Empty cap space is an asset and a smart GM can make taking on bad contracts work to their benefit. If the Jets were were smart they'd be doing sh*t like this. If I'm Douglas I'm calling up Philly right now and offering them the same deal for Darnold <-> Wentz.

Cleveland was one of the 1st teams to do that when they took on osweiler a few years back and got a 2nd rounder for it.  I agree teams should use cap room if they have an abundance of it.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The number 2 pick alone is worth more than everything the Rams traded.

Houston is going to receive backlash because everyone seems to just quote x number of 1st round picks without factoring how high or low those picks might be.

well that 2OA value just took a hit. another top 10 team in Detroit isnt drafting a QB.

now if Atlanta doesnt draft a QB were screwed. and i dont think they will. i was just reading they take a huge cap hit weather the keep him or trade him. so do they draft a QB so high at 4 and keep him on the bench? or make Ryan the most expensive backup in the history of football.  if they trade him after the season the cap hit in dead money at 49.9m so Ryan isnt going anywhere. i cant see them drafting a QB.

next chance is Carolina at 8th. they could keep Bridgewater. but if they traded with Houston then they only got the 2OA pick to worry about someone taking there QB. then there always a possibility someone with the 2OA picks that OT or WR people like. then Houston gets there QB1

Denver at 9 could keep Lock for his 3rd yr. hey dont laugh, some of us want Sam for a 4th yr. 

then its 12.SF, 14.MINN, 15.NE, 19. WASH

isn't Houston suppose to be in a rebuild? so 4 #1s is 4 bodies. but the jets give 3 and say one of them is worth 2, but thats still just 3 players. Houston has many holes to fill. there going to want the deal that gets them more players.

Houston could turn around and trade Watson to anyone else but us and say...screw it, we will draft our QB next year. hell thats what some of us were saying about us. keep Sam another year, upgrade the roster in the draft and if Sam still sucks we will draft a QB next year. doesnt have to be this year Houston drafts a QB. they might not even like any of the QBs this year. again just like some of us.

your not going to bully Houston with some " trade value chart "  not with a QB like Watson.

hello Houston, this is JD. i got this 2OA which the chart says is actually worth 2 number.....Click .hello....Houston?...are you there. i think we got disconnected .lol

• WTF? 1

This off season is going to be like your playing Madden with trades.

The first domino has fallen, who’s next? - Jets sitting at #2 is going to garner a lot of trade interest, from QB hungry teams. Personally I want to trade down, the Watson deal will be crazy, we’d sell too much of the farm to get him, that we’d have no team to play with him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, QB1 said:

You guys understand that taking on Goff is a negative for the lions right? They have to take on that contract. It’s similar to the Texans giving up a second for someone to take osweiler 

Lions robbed the Rams.  2x first round picks plus a third.  Goff isn’t great. Neither was Stafford so they are basically the same at qb

11 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Jesus Christ. Thanks for ******* up the market. I guess I'm out on Watson if this is what Staffords going rate is

This set the market no doubt.  Now the Texans, who were already demanding 4x first round picks plus will want even more

F that.  Draft Jones, Lance or Trask at 23 to compete with Sam

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Lions robbed the Rams.  2x first round picks plus a third.  Goff isn’t great. Neither was Stafford so they are basically the same at qb

These aren’t first round picks, they are future first round picks 

Basically the value of our Seattle pick

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Was only a matter of time before NFL teams started doing what the Lions just pulled off. NBA teams have been doing it for a long time. Empty cap space is an asset and a smart GM can make taking on bad contracts work to their benefit. If the Jets were were smart they'd be doing sh*t like this. If I'm Douglas I'm calling up Philly right now and offering them the same deal for Darnold <-> Wentz.

So they would be giving us Wentz and 2 first rounders?

the qbs are reversed in this situation

detroit had the cap space and the better QB

we have the cap space and Sam Darnold

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

This set the market no doubt.  Now the Texans, who were already demanding 4x first round picks plus will want even more

F that.  Draft Jones, Lance or Trask at 23 to compete with Sam

Drafting Trask at 23 would be retarded.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Cleveland was one of the 1st teams to do that when they took on osweiler a few years back and got a 2nd rounder for it.  I agree teams should use cap room if they have an abundance of it.

Most are framing it as LA got fleeced but this is one of those deals where if the Rams execute it properly, who knows? Rams have a Super Bowl caliber team for the next 2-3 years, if they load up on a few guys with the cap space they cleared and get back to a Super Bowl that's definitely worth a pair of late first rounders. What if they go and get Godwin or Robinson and a top OL? Is it a fleecing then?

Also worth noting the Rams have been pulling off wacky deals the entire McVay era and yet there they are every January. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Most are framing it as LA got fleeced but this is one of those deals where if the Rams execute it properly, who knows? Rams have a Super Bowl caliber team for the next 2-3 years, if they load up on a few guys with the cap space they cleared and get back to a Super Bowl that's definitely worth a pair of late first rounders. What if they go and get Godwin or Robinson and a top OL? Is it a fleecing then?

Also worth noting the Rams have been pulling off wacky deals the entire McVay era and yet there they are every January. 

Stafford has been on better teams and still never even won a playoff game

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

LA didn't trade for Stafford. They paid to get rid of Goff.

I think it’s both. They needed a QB, so they took Stafford, but only if they could get rid of Goff, which they were (did) willing to pay extra to do. It’s a good move for both teams here if you considered Salary Cap room an asset (which it is)

Rams get rid of an albatross of a contract for the back up QB, a starting QB for a win now playoff team 

Lions get decent haul of picks for a QB that was gone no matter what, they get more picks to take on a bad contract (which they had the cap space for and probably wouldn’t need for the next 2 years) and they get a qb that can either A play the position while they tear the team down or B eat some of the contract and flip for more picks to speed up the rebuild a little 

• Upvote 2

That is A LOT.
"People saying Stafford isn’t great here’s his rankings at age 32 all-time:

2nd in passing yards (Manning)
3rd in TDs (Manning, Marino)
1st in completions
1st in attempts
1st in game winning drives
1st in 4th quarter comebacks"

Y’all sleepin on this man’s greatness.

... stafford >>>>>>>> watson

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

God question.  And, if a supposed offense/QB guru like McVay doesn't think he can win with Goff then who the hell thinks Dan Campbell can win with him?

The new GM of the Lions was the Director of College Scouting with the Rams.  Goff was the highest pick the rams made during his tenure.  Obviously he feels differently.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, undertow said:

If the Jets don't take a QB I wonder what the price would be for Detroit to trade from 7 to 2 and take a QB?  Goff is basically a salary dump I'm sure they are gonna groom a QB behind him.

I don’t think he is going to be a salary dump for the lions, and I don’t think the lions draft another qb.  The guy that was responsible for scouting goff is now the lions gm.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Imagine thinking anyone wants darnold. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I don’t see why people think this relates to Watson and our 2.

would you trade 2 overall to the Rams for that package?

so if we were to give up the 2 + not sending bad contract back + 2 more 1s? Yeah that’s a different type of deal.

Thank you! This was more about getting Goffs contract off their ledger than Stafford. Don’t get me wrong, the Rams upgraded at qb pretty handsomely. But the extra 1 is for taking Goff. More importantly, I really don’t think this has any bearing on what the Texans do. 

• Upvote 2

Great deal for the Rams.  They upgraded the QB position and cleaned up there balance sheet.  It reopens a window of being able to compete for a championship that was closing on them because of a horrible contract on a good not great QB. 

This is the Jets in 1998 with Vinny all over again with a much better defense.  Stafford is as good as anyone in terms of arm talent.  He won’t have to carry the Rams. He will be asked to take the top off of the defense which he can do easily.  I think with Mcvays O and the Rams D Stafford will be very hard to stop.  

• Upvote 3

Value of the two future (late) firsts is equivalent to a second and a second next year.

Or a second and a third this year. 

Our 2nd overall This year is easily worth  3-5x worth the total sum paid for Stafford (getting Goff and his contract is a wash against getting the additional 3rd). 

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

LA didn't trade for Stafford. They paid to get rid of Goff.

Like you said, it was a straight up NBA money-laundering salary dump. The Rams paid one first for Stafford and the other first was for taking the Goff salary. I don’t get these lazy people who know better saying “Wow if that’s what Stafford costs, how much will DESHAUN cost??!” Like, yes, if the Texans were taking back an awful contract, the Jets would have to toss in some vig. 

• Upvote 1