Stafford traded to Rams

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, Ghost420 said:

They were just in the playoffs with sh*tty goff. Stafford is a much better qb

Goff is a decent mid tier NFL QB.  Stafford does have elite arm talent and will now be paired with a very good D and running game along with a HC who will put him in very good situations to utilize his arm talent.  This is a great opportunity for Stafford and McVay to take the step to the next level.   If they don’t do it Stafford will be looked at the same way Goff is.  Decent mid tier NFL QB. 

27 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

"People saying Stafford isn’t great here’s his rankings at age 32 all-time:

2nd in passing yards (Manning)
3rd in TDs (Manning, Marino)
1st in completions
1st in attempts
1st in game winning drives
1st in 4th quarter comebacks"

Y’all sleepin on this man’s greatness.

... stafford >>>>>>>> watson

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

If you look at Staffords and Goffs first 5 years, they are remarkably similar. 

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Was only a matter of time before NFL teams started doing what the Lions just pulled off. NBA teams have been doing it for a long time. Empty cap space is an asset and a smart GM can make taking on bad contracts work to their benefit. If the Jets were were smart they'd be doing sh*t like this. If I'm Douglas I'm calling up Philly right now and offering them the same deal for Darnold <-> Wentz.

We offer to take on Houston’s terrible Whitney Merciless and Randall Cobb contracts. Those two save the Texans $12 million in 2021 and over $20 million in 2022. We get Watson, we give them 2 overall + Darnold+ Cap space to rebuild.

• Upvote 2

Stafford is light years better than Goff....everything has to be coached, called well, blocked well and D caught off guard for Goff to succeed. Does that sound like anyone?

All those future firsts are much less valuable  posts....partially true....but they do become great assets what 25% of the time? Ask Miami

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

1st in completions
1st in attempts

The same people who think Rivers is an elite HOF Qb think Stafford sucks.  The guy is very good and has been asked to carry a crappy organization for a long time.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

This is a pretty good deal for the Rams.  Snead and McVay have been flipping 1st round picks for proven players their entire tenure in L.A.   McVay gets a QB that he can open up more of the playbook with, while clearing cap space.  They are right in the middle of a legit Super Bowl window, why not take advantage of that?   

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Calling it now, this will be another Vikings situation when they brought in cousins and got worse.

seriously.....i honestly don't think stafford is all that much better than goff. maybe somewhat better but not worth what they traded to switch from goff to him

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Stafford is light years better than Goff....everything has to be coached, called well, blocked well and D caught off guard for Goff to succeed. Does that sound like anyone?

All those future firsts are much less valuable  posts....partially true....but they do become great assets what 25% of the time? Ask Miami

Goff is light years better than Darnold.

• Upvote 3

One of these things isn't close to the other. Detroit taking on Goffs contract was worth a 1st & 3rd. Plus, the Rams are & will be playoff challengers for the next 2/3 years so those picks will be late 1sts! Hell, we had mid 1st & ended up with Darron Lee (20), and Calvin Pryor (15). 

If I was Joe Douglas & Caserio brought up this trade I wouldn't even respond to the comparison. These are future 1st (2022/2023), that's a long time in the NFL. A trade of our 2021 first, 2022 1st, 2023 1st & Darnold if they want him is a helluva deal! Or if they don't want Darnold, we give them this years 2021, #34 & trade Darnold for probably a #2 anyway. 

We go after 2 stud free agents & we bargain shop in the 2nd round of free agency for the hold out (dumb agents), who overpriced their clients & now realize most of the money is gone, 90% of clubs are at the cap & the Jets are the only ones with a big wallet & have a great QB. Where would you want to go? 

13 minutes ago, JetsRevival said:

When you consider that they haven't had a 1st round pick the last 4 years yet they're 43-21 with 2 division titles and a SB appearance over that same time period with an average QB you realize how overrated 1st round picks are pretty quickly.

Just look at the all of the Jets 1st round picks still on the team...wait..wut? 

9 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I think Les Snead is reckless. He's dealing the Rams future draft capital away like he's a degenerate gambler about to put a 3rd mortgage on his home. The Rams are not a Matthew Stafford away from winning a Super Bowl. Not even close. 

Lol.  A lot of people midway thru the season thought the Rams were favorites to win the SB.  They finished 10-6 and now they just upgraded the QB position by quite a bit.  They will be one of the betting favorites to win the SB next year.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Jet fans have been conditioned to think that you need to have multiple first round picks every year and it takes 5 years to build a roster, the Rams have done it differently.  They’ve flipped picks for veterans and have used free agency to fill some holes.  They have also drafted well with the picks they have made.   

Agreed.

Jets fans are convinced FA is disaster and using money there is a waste of money - because most of our signings have been busts.  But..our draft picks have worked out much better either.

The reality is, FA can work - you just need the right people to pick the right players.  We've had incompetence here on both the draft and FA front.

With the current resources we have this can be turned around in a year - but you need the right people to execute that plan.  I don't know if we have those people or not.  We'll find out soon enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This is a pretty good deal for the Rams.  Snead and McVay have been flipping 1st round picks for proven players their entire tenure in L.A.   McVay gets a QB that he can open up more of the playbook with, while clearing cap space.  They are right in the middle of a legit Super Bowl window, why not take advantage of that?   

First off here is a great breakdown of this trade from overthecap.com https://overthecap.com/stafford-and-goff-swap-teams-in-mega-trade/

This trade his almost no bearing on Watson, except to show how cap space is valued.  The Rams actually gained cap space in this deal and got out from a horrendous contract, while also improving at QB - thats why they paid such a price.

The rams now have 2 good WRs, a true lead RB in Akers and an elite QB to pair with a defense that has Donald and Ramsey.  They basically need to plug the OL and field a decent defense around their defensive stars and will be in the top 3/4 teams in the NFC.

The Lions must have done this for picks only because I cant imagine they think Goff can do anything without McVay.  His contract is awful and they likely have to keep him on the roster through 2022.  If they did want ammunition to trade up (possible to 2) then the extra firsts help but are you gonna play fields or wilson while keeping a $25 million a year backup?  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Jet fans have been conditioned to think that you need to have multiple first round picks every year and it takes 5 years to build a roster, the Rams have done it differently.  They’ve flipped picks for veterans and have used free agency to fill some holes.  They have also drafted well with the picks they have made.   

This is such a great point. You can pay me now or pay me later, either way very good players get paid! 

How many players get paid big bucks while your developing them? Take Mims for example. I know he's a 2nd rounder but we got zero production in his 1st year. So, let's say he has an OK 2nd year, and then in his 3rd he turns it on. Great, now we're going into his 4th year & he wants big bucks. 

What LA is doing is just taking PROVEN experienced guys that contribute IMMEDIATELY! Yes, they cost more but that's only because your getting them ALREADY DEVELOPED, without the wasted years. 

I actually feel that's how Sam Darnold will be looked upon, true or not, that he's got 3 years of experience minus the Mono that set him back,minus the terrible team & terrible coaching. Someone will take that chance that he's right on the cusp of GETTING IT. Say what you will about Darnold but going into his 4th year he CAN run an offense & has experience in the NFL already & obviously the biggest thing is age, he's still a puppy in some of these GMs eyes. Someone like Sean Payton coaching him up? Perfect match. 

This is good news for the Jets, not bad.  This all but eliminates any teams besides the Jets and Dolphins in the quest to trade for Watson.  Unless Houston is willing to take future 1st round picks 2-4 years down the road, which I doubt they will. I do think the winning bid will be:

2021 #2 overall

2021 3rd rd pick

2022 1st rd pick

2023 1st rd pick

This is the deal that the Lions got for Stafford with the #2 overall pick being put in on top of that.  This actually provides clarity to a potential Watson deal.

18 minutes ago, JetsRevival said:

When you consider that they haven't had a 1st round pick the last 4 years yet they're 43-21 with 2 division titles and a SB appearance over that same time period with an average QB you realize how overrated 1st round picks are pretty quickly.

You're ignoring that the best defensive player in the league was drafted in the first round in 2015 by the Los Angeles Rams.  I suspect that 43 and 21 record has something to do with that.  They also went to the SB with Todd Gurley who they drafted in the first round.  The last great Rams team to win a SB drafted Pace at 1 and Holt at 6.  

FYI Goff was not an average QB in their SB year.  He had an outstanding year as did Gurley, both first round picks, in their SB year in 2018.  Goff had 32 TD's that year had a YC of 12.9 and a QBR over 100 for the year.  He was in the top 10 in every QB statistical category. 

Like the deal for the Rams - Goff contract was a franchise killer - there was no way they were doing anything for the next 2-3 years that deal. Break the trade down in two different parts. 

Stafford for NEXT years 1st + this years 3. Considering most people were saying teams were offering mid 1s THIS Year - I'd say this is good value for Stafford who I believe is a top 10 win a game tomorrow QB in this league still. 

A 2023 first rounder for the right to free up roughly (I don't really get all the cap stuff) $25mm per year for the next two years? So If I'm the Rams would I pay a 2023 first rounder for the right to sign Allen Robinson + a middle tier FA to a full market contract this off-season. Yea I think given where their team is at I'd do that. Long term I'm sure it will hurt them but I think they were hurt long term as soon as they signed the Goff deal - I'd rather double down and try and be more competitive now than hope for the best later. Its a gamble but given where they were with the Goff deal one I think they had to take as I don't see a lot of other moves that make them legit contenders next 2-3 years and this one does. 

I don't really love it for Detroit but I am pretty out on Goff. I guess if you think Goff can be salvaged then its worth the flier, but Detroit is in total rebuild mode and I think its going to be hard to rebuild with a mediocre QB getting a fat contract. I'd rather do the Jets rebuild and dump all of the salary, bottom out in 2021 and be in a position to draft a QB early next year with a flexible cap structure. Maybe there is a way to restructure Goff or maybe you can trade him and not have to eat as much cap but pledging 1/8th of your cap space over the next two years to a QB like Goff with a depleted roster would not get me excited as a Lions fan. Things change fast in the NFL and the Rams could easily be a bad team in 2023 so who knows - but if I'm a lions fan I don't see a way my team is competitive until like 2023 when you're out of the Goff deal...

20 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

To be fair Rams were spoiled with 1st round picks from the RG3 trade years ago. They got Donald from one of the 1sts from that trade.

Rams have been using both strategies to build their teams over the past decade.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

1st in completions
1st in attempts

Where’s Brady & Brees?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Like the deal for the Rams - Goff contract was a franchise killer - there was no way they were doing anything for the next 2-3 years that deal. Break the trade down in two different parts. 

Stafford for NEXT years 1st + this years 3. Considering most people were saying teams were offering mid 1s THIS Year - I'd say this is good value for Stafford who I believe is a top 10 win a game tomorrow QB in this league still. 

A 2023 first rounder for the right to free up roughly (I don't really get all the cap stuff) $25mm per year for the next two years? So If I'm the Rams would I pay a 2023 first rounder for the right to sign Allen Robinson + a middle tier FA to a full market contract this off-season. Yea I think given where their team is at I'd do that. Long term I'm sure it will hurt them but I think they were hurt long term as soon as they signed the Goff deal - I'd rather double down and try and be more competitive now than hope for the best later. Its a gamble but given where they were with the Goff deal one I think they had to take as I don't see a lot of other moves that make them legit contenders next 2-3 years and this one does. 

I don't really love it for Detroit but I am pretty out on Goff. I guess if you think Goff can be salvaged then its worth the flier, but Detroit is in total rebuild mode and I think its going to be hard to rebuild with a mediocre QB getting a fat contract. I'd rather do the Jets rebuild and dump all of the salary, bottom out in 2021 and be in a position to draft a QB early next year with a flexible cap structure. Maybe there is a way to restructure Goff or maybe you can trade him and not have to eat as much cap but pledging 1/8th of your cap space over the next two years to a QB like Goff with a depleted roster would not get me excited as a Lions fan. Things change fast in the NFL and the Rams could easily be a bad team in 2023 so who knows - but if I'm a lions fan I don't see a way my team is competitive until like 2023 when you're out of the Goff deal...

Let me break this down into simple terms...strike while the irons hot! Look at the Jets after 2010. The Sanchez contract blew up the whole team. And Goff is a way better QB than Sanchez. 

How many times do really good QBs become available? Ready made, step right in 32 year old QBs? Just look what OLD MAN Rivers did for the Colts, and Stafford is much younger. 

The Rams management has vision & BALLS, they have come to the conclusion, rightly so that Goff isn't good enough to get the a Super Bowl, and his contract would keep them from improving the team short term, while they are still talented enough to compete for Championships. I applaud them! 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I think Les Snead is reckless. He's dealing the Rams future draft capital away like he's a degenerate gambler about to put a 3rd mortgage on his home. The Rams are not a Matthew Stafford away from winning a Super Bowl. Not even close. 

The Rams are nearing the end of their window and trying to win it all right now is the right strategy. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1