Stafford traded to Rams

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/85749/run-it-back-with-sam-darnold-or-start-fresh-jets-have-multiple-options%3fplatform=amp

^^
Rich seems to agree with us.

And trust me I believe you when you say Sam is returning because our GM is compromised by Jimmy Sexton. I have no doubt his goal is to get Sam a lucrative contract and he is behind the scenes manipulating thus entire situation. Call crazy but this is just my opinion 

Jetsgate, like pizzagate

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

He has a $2.5 million bonus that becomes guaranteed on March 19, which they will pay one way or another. Now the question is whether they restructure his contract in order to facilitate another trade.

It sounds like the plan is to trade him, but it comes down to who's left standing in the game of musical chairs

Lions trade up to #2 swapping Goff (w/roster bonus paid by Detroit) for Darnold (dependent upon Saleh/Lefleur opinion of Goff) Jets also get additional draft capital from Detroit.

Just throwing some ideas around. Can Goff be fixed? I’d prefer Watson or Wilson but worth consideration. Would Detroit be ok rolling with Goff and building around him?

7 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/85749/run-it-back-with-sam-darnold-or-start-fresh-jets-have-multiple-options%3fplatform=amp

^^

And trust me I believe you when you say Sam is returning because our GM is compromised by Jimmy Sexton. I have no doubt his goal is to get Sam a lucrative contract and he is behind the scenes manipulating thus entire situation. Call crazy but this is just my opinion 

Imagine feeling good about a beat reporter agreeing with you. 

You choose a team to root for come September?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

^^

Douglas already has his 6 year contract. Plus there are other agents out there. Why would he be beholden to Sexton?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Lions trade up to #2 swapping Goff (w/roster bonus paid by Detroit) for Darnold (dependent upon Saleh/Lefleur opinion of Goff) Jets also get additional draft capital from Detroit.

Just throwing some ideas around. Can Goff be fixed? I’d prefer Watson or Wilson but worth consideration. Would Detroit be ok rolling with Goff and building around him?

Just my opinion, but instead of trying to fix Goff, I would instead try to fix Darnold, and keep the #2 pick.  If you're going to trade the #2 pick, it has to be someone who doesn't need fixing.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Not according to many on this site.  He's a can't miss franchise QB who many HCs are absolutely salivating at the prospect of adding Darnold to their roster.  

Remember Rich Gannon?? A Pat pick that went to the Vikes, Skins, KC and finally the Raiders in a system that  was right for him and made 4 pro bowls and All Pro twice and the Bowl.. Did Gase have the right system for Sam?? I think not...

• Upvote 3

Just now, Alka said:

Just my opinion, but instead of trying to fix Goff, I would instead try to fix Darnold, and keep the #2 pick.  If you're going to trade the #2 pick, it has to be someone who doesn't need fixing.

I got news for everybody: Darnold and Goff can't be "fixed".  They are exactly the QBs anybody looking objectively saw.  Neither is a good fit for the Jets.  

Time to cut bait on Darnold who is alike a rusty, two ton anchor around this franchise.  Get what you can for him or just outright release the guy.  Move on with either Watson (if that's even a dream of a possibility) or one of the QBs coming out in this year's draft.  

Keep this trade in mind when trying to understand how NFL teams work:

The Lions would've gotten a 1st & 3rd from Washington this year had they moved him there. They opted for the future 1sts. Why? Many teams say that future firsts grade like the 40th pick in present-day trades. However, rebuilding teams value them higher.

Holmes and Campbell have 6-year contracts

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Douglas already has his 6 year contract. Plus there are other agents out there. Why would he be beholden to Sexton?

Because oatmeal is brain dead, trying to rationalize something he doesn't agree with by means of conspiracy theories and irrational narratives. 

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

Remember Rich Gannon?? A Pat pick that went to the Vikes, Skins, KC and finally the Raiders in a system that  was right for him and made 4 pro bowls and All Pro twice and the Bowl.. Did Gase have the right system for Sam?? I think not...

Great.  Good luck to Darnold finding himself with some other team.  I no longer give a fuk about the guy and his potential. 

He succeeds somewhere else?  Don't give a fuk either.   But I will bet the house that Darnold will never become what some here hope.  The Jets went Sanchez Mach II and deserve ridicule.   But now it's time to turn the page and not care about the dim prospect of Darnold achieving Gannon's level.  'Cause it's not gonna happen no matter how much some dream.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

Imagine feeling good about a beat reporter agreeing with you. 

You choose a team to root for come September?

LOL

Jet fans are about to get Hackenberg’ed again, then next year hope DET will trade out of 1 so we can select Baker Mayfield’s clone. So many good laughs ahead why would I leave now? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

Goff can be easily cut 2 years from now if he can’t be fixed or You can pick up Sam 5th yr. option at $25mil or let him play out his 4th yr and hit FA. There are so many variables to consider on multiple levels it’s like 3 dimensional chess. That’s why the safest bet, in my estimation, is getting Watson and build around him. He is the common denominator for success. 

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I got news for everybody: Darnold and Goff can't be "fixed".  They are exactly the QBs anybody looking objectively saw.  Neither is a good fit for the Jets.  

Time to cut bait on Darnold who is alike a rusty, two ton anchor around this franchise.  Get what you can for him or just outright release the guy.  Move on with either Watson (if that's even a dream of a possibility) or one of the QBs coming out in this year's draft.  

Yeah, that Zach Wilson kid is sure impressive...

He racked up impressive stats at BYU, but his numbers against ranked teams were pedestrian -- a 2-4 record, with 1,569 yards, eight touchdowns and five interceptions.

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

A conflict of interest is not a conspiracy theory. A conflict of interest is not an irrational narrative. Keep punching down though.

The Netflix series identifying Jimmy Sexton as the Robert Moses puppeteer-esque figure of football in America - controlling 30% of the NFL and 85% of the SEC - will make a great seller. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

Yeah, that Zach Wilson kid is sure impressive...

He racked up impressive stats at BYU, but his numbers against ranked teams were pedestrian -- a 2-4 record, with 1,569 yards, eight touchdowns and five interceptions.

How's the building of the Darnold shrine going?  That kid has just been aces.  Why waste the team's time drafting a new guy--or trading for Watson--when Sammy Boy is already here?  

• Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, football guy said:

You and @oatmeal can continue to persuade yourself this to be the case if it makes you feel better. Question I have is what team will you be rooting for come September if (when) that doesn't happen?

I always root for my team.  My point is there is no other logical conclusion to come to other than using #2 overall to take a QB. 

This isn't even about what I want.  It's just what's going to happen. 

Anything else other than using 2 for a QB is just noise.  That's all I'm saying.

• Sympathy 1

I really don't understand what all the hoopla is about with this trade.  It was a decent trade for the Rams.

Look at what the Jets traded for Darnold back in 2018.  To move up 3 spots, the Jets surrendered the #6 pick , and 3 2nd rounders.  In current value that would be the #6 pick, 2nds and a thrid.  Sam turned out to be one of the worst QB's in the league 3 years later.

The Rams in CURRENT VALUE, have given up 0 first round picks in the current draft.  Value wise in this draft they have given up what would be valued at a very late 2nd rounder, and 2 late 3rd rounders.   The value of eating that contract is at least a 2nd.  That means all the Rams actually gave up for him value wise is two 3's.

It's reasonable to expect as good as the Rams are, and the fact that Stafford is close to an elite QB, those future picks will be estimated to be 30+.

Rams FO has gambled that for that value they have a shot at a Super Bowl.  Good for them.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

A conflict of interest is not a conspiracy theory. A conflict of interest is not an irrational narrative. Keep punching down though.

If my agent started pushing me to make potentially career-threatening moves to earn him some extra money, it wouldn’t be a conflict of interest.  It would be a sign to get another agent.

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

How's the building of the Darnold shrine going?  That kid has just been aces.  Why waste the team's time drafting a new guy--or trading for Watson--when Sammy Boy is already here?  

I like real QBs such as Watson. We have capital, players would love Saleh/Watson combo and will probably take a pay cut and a top 5 QB. I don't care about the others.

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

^^

Dude...you are black helicoptering like a boss.  Untethered from reality, but I've got to respect your commitment to the story you've built up.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Goff can be easily cut 2 years from now if he can’t be fixed or You can pick up Sam 5th yr. option at $25mil or let him play out his 4th yr and hit FA. There are so many variables to consider on multiple levels it’s like 3 dimensional chess. That’s why the safest bet, in my estimation, is getting Watson and build around him. He is the common denominator for success. 

Getting Watson may be the safest bet, but everything depends on what we have to give up for him.  There has to be limits, or it just isn't feasible.  Imagine if we didn't have our last 2 first round picks.  No Becton, no Quinnen.  I can't imagine how much worse we would be without both of them.

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Netflix series identifying Jimmy Sexton as the Robert Moses puppeteer-esque figure of football in America - controlling 30% of the NFL and 85% of the SEC - will make a great seller. 

The good news is that Sam isn’t as bad a QB as his numbers suggest.  Most of his interceptions were thrown deliberately to pad the numbers of defensive players who were also represented by Sexton.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Anytime someone challenges they're a racist?

How deep was the peg this AM baizuo? 

Just reread one of your posts from yesterday on Stafford, before the trade. That we may see a report that the Rams offered Goff + 2/3 this year for Sam. Did that , in fact, happen? Or would that have been a fallback if they struck out with Detroit?

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

If we're using the Stafford trade as a reference for what it would cost to acquire Deshaun Watson? Then, I think the price is beyond JD's means. Stafford is a bit of a senior player and Watson is just hitting his prime. That would obviously, more than likely, make the price for Watson beyond the Jets means. Or should I say Joe Douglas.

Douglas has a 6 year contract. If he trades what it would take to get Watson, then I submit he simply won't have enough decent picks to build the team before his contract expires. It's possible the Jets just wouldn't be a very competitive team because Joe is unable to build the team around Deshaun. 

Unless the Texans are idiots, they're going to want Sam Darnold, 3 first round draft choices, and probably a 3rd as well. I submit to you that's simply too much for a player with two ACL's. 

The way I see it is the only way Deshaun Watson becomes a Jet is if he's demanding a trade to the Jets? Greenbean's surmised price for Watson, I think the Jets could deal with and build a decent team around Deshaun? Anything more than that I think becomes too much.

This is a legacy defining moment for Joe Douglas. If he gives up too much to get Deshaun, then he eventually gets fired because he can't win a chapionship.

You don't need 1st round picks to build a team.  In fact, statistically, if the Jets took all 4 1st round picks the next two years only 2 of them will actually wind up being a contributing starter.  And less than 1 of them would be a Pro Bowl player.  You build your team rounds 3-7.  If you sign 1 big time FA per year or trade for one you're basically substituting that as your 1st round talent except the bust rate is much lower with an established FA.  The Jets have 4 picks in the next 2 1st rounds and what you're telling me is that if they give up 1 this year, a 3rd this year (they have 2), a 2022 1st and 2023 1st that they wouldn't be able to build a team?  They would still have picks in every round this year and next.  How is that not enough to build a roster around the QB?  Or is this all bc you're in love with Darnold?

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The Rams haven’t had a first round pick in 7 years and doing quite well for themselves 

On the other hand jet fans are literally rooting for loses to improve draft position annually ?‍♂️?

4 years. Now they won't have one for the next 3. That's where the 7 years comes from.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Just reread one of your posts from yesterday on Stafford, before the trade. That we may see a report that the Rams offered Goff + 2/3 this year for Sam. Did that , in fact, happen? Or would that have been a fallback if they struck out with Detroit?

Would've been a fall back. They also inquired on Marcus Mariota. A lot of these moves are organic so while they don't make official offers, they try to gauge interest in potential deals as contingencies

• Upvote 1