New Coaching Staff may not Bode Well for These Three Jets Players

JetNation

lamical-perine-1.jpg

While much of JetNation was celebrating the arrival of new head coach Robert Saleh along with the arrival of offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur, there may be a few players who may not share in the joy of this particular shuffling of the coaching staff when taking a closer look at how they may or may not fit the team’s new scheme.

In fact, there are a few players whose short time with the Jets could come to an abrupt end if LaFleur installs a version of Kyle Shanahan’s offense as expected.  Who could find themselves out of work under the new offense along with converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3 base defense?

RB LaMical Perine:

The 49ers offense suffered multiple injuries at running back last year but got decent production out of each back who stepped up.  This is likely due to the fact that their offense is built for a specific type of running back that they stacked their roster with in Raheem Mostert, Jerick McKinnon, Tevin Coleman and company.

In each of those backs, the 49ers had runners who possessed a significant amount of both speed and burst in hitting the hole and getting to the second level.  And all of them, at least in terms of measurables, were better than Perine in this respect.  In looking at combine and pro day results for every back the 49ers carried on their active roster and practice squad last season, Perine would rank dead last in almost every category indicating speed and quickness.  Comparing Perine to Coleman, McKinnon, Mostert, Austin Walter, Jeff Wilson Jr and Jamycal Hasty, here’s how he would have stacked up against those who participated in each respective drill.

40 Time: 4.62 (7th of 7 participants)

3 Cone drill: 7.13 (4th of 5 participants)

20 yd shuttle: 4.31 (5th of 5 participants)

10 yd split: 1.66 (6th of 6 participants)

20 yd split: 2.74 (6th of 6 participants)

This isn’t to say the new Jets staff won’t be able to find a role for Perine, but if they do, he would be the opposite of what they’ve looked for and utilized in the past.

QB James Morgan:

In terms of quarterback play, Shanahan’s offense prioritizes accuracy over arm strength.  Just look at what the 49ers paid Jimmy Garoppolo after trading for him watching him in just a handful of pro starts.  In Morgan, the Jets have a quarterback who earned a reputation as a gun slinger in college who completed just 57.2% of his passes at the collegiate level.

As Morgan is viewed as little more than a backup, he may get a chance to hang around and try to adjust his game to LaFleur’s offense, but if he’s completing passes at a sub 60% rate again, the Jets may have to cut ties after just one season of Morgan.

DL Henry Anderson:

Anderson’s departure was a foregone conclusion in looking at his whopping $8 million cap hit, but as a solid all-around defender, there was a chance he could be asked to return at a reduced rate.  However, the fact that he was initially traded to the Jets due to his poor fit for the 4-3 defense the Colts were moving to tells us that even that slight chance at a return is no more.

Plenty of moves to be made between now and next season, but these are three players worth keeping an eye on.

The post New Coaching Staff may not Bode Well for These Three Jets Players appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
3eGnp281pOU

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3

I mean you keep Perine for depth. Also Josh Adams could become an interesting keep. Decent size and runs in 4.4s. This shannahan offense is going to make the off-season evaluations very interesting. 
On top of the fact that Gase couldn’t figure out how a player could be used and identified their strengths I’m not sure we don’t already have better players than we know. 

im not saying we’re set at RB or any positions but I won’t be surprised if next season some guys surprise us to some degree 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, JetNation said:

20 yd split: 2.74 (6th of 6 participants

I wonder how Frank Gore would have scored

• Haha 1

I'll add the following: 

• EDGE Bryce Huff: Huff flashed as a flex EDGE/SLB in college and during his first season in New York. He's not going to fit as a SLB in this defense and I'm not sure he can he be an every down LEO/DE?

• DE Kyle Phillips: he could have a role in the 4-3 under/over as a 5-tech, but he’s too much of a LEO/5-tech tweener and faces staunch competition for reps.

• CB Javelin Guidry: Guidry flashed as a nickel corner, but the cover 3 may not be the best fit for him. He struggled playing zone defense in college, and this scheme doesn’t accommodate “slot-only” corners.

• CB Brian Poole (UFA): like Guidry, Poole is a slot-only corner which the cover 3 doesn’t necessarily accommodate. He becomes expendable as the Jets would likely hold Guidry as their one specialty nickel corner. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, JetNation said:

lamical-perine-1.jpg

While much of JetNation was celebrating the arrival of new head coach Robert Saleh along with the arrival of offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur, there may be a few players who may not share in the joy of this particular shuffling of the coaching staff when taking a closer look at how they may or may not fit the team’s new scheme.

In fact, there are a few players whose short time with the Jets could come to an abrupt end if LaFleur installs a version of Kyle Shanahan’s offense as expected.  Who could find themselves out of work under the new offense along with converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3 base defense?

RB LaMical Perine:

The 49ers offense suffered multiple injuries at running back last year but got decent production out of each back who stepped up.  This is likely due to the fact that their offense is built for a specific type of running back that they stacked their roster with in Raheem Mostert, Jerick McKinnon, Tevin Coleman and company.

In each of those backs, the 49ers had runners who possessed a significant amount of both speed and burst in hitting the hole and getting to the second level.  And all of them, at least in terms of measurables, were better than Perine in this respect.  In looking at combine and pro day results for every back the 49ers carried on their active roster and practice squad last season, Perine would rank dead last in almost every category indicating speed and quickness.  Comparing Perine to Coleman, McKinnon, Mostert, Austin Walter, Jeff Wilson Jr and Jamycal Hasty, here’s how he would have stacked up against those who participated in each respective drill.

This isn’t to say the new Jets staff won’t be able to find a role for Perine, but if they do, he would be the opposite of what they’ve looked for and utilized in the past.

QB James Morgan:

In terms of quarterback play, Shanahan’s offense prioritizes accuracy over arm strength.  Just look at what the 49ers paid Jimmy Garoppolo after trading for him watching him in just a handful of pro starts.  In Morgan, the Jets have a quarterback who earned a reputation as a gun slinger in college who completed just 57.2% of his passes at the collegiate level.

As Morgan is viewed as little more than a backup, he may get a chance to hang around and try to adjust his game to LaFleur’s offense, but if he’s completing passes at a sub 60% rate again, the Jets may have to cut ties after just one season of Morgan.

DL Henry Anderson:

Anderson’s departure was a foregone conclusion in looking at his whopping $8 million cap hit, but as a solid all-around defender, there was a chance he could be asked to return at a reduced rate.  However, the fact that he was initially traded to the Jets due to his poor fit for the 4-3 defense the Colts were moving to tells us that even that slight chance at a return is no more.

Plenty of moves to be made between now and next season, but these are three players worth keeping an eye on.

The post New Coaching Staff may not Bode Well for These Three Jets Players appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

3eGnp281pOU

2 busts from the draft and anderson?

Yea we could live without em

36 minutes ago, Stark said:

I mean you keep Perine for depth. Also Josh Adams could become an interesting keep. Decent size and runs in 4.4s. This shannahan offense is going to make the off-season evaluations very interesting. 
On top of the fact that Gase couldn’t figure out how a player could be used and identified their strengths I’m not sure we don’t already have better players than we know. 

im not saying we’re set at RB or any positions but I won’t be surprised if next season some guys surprise us to some degree 

Yup.  Perine is on a cheap rookie deal and is still a bit of an unknown, but he's a body and a depth piece.  You keep him as RB3 until you know what you have (or don't) with him.  A Ty Johnson or Josh Adams would be a good keep as well, and then the Jets can hit FA for a "check the box" veteran starter who won't be very expensive.  Could still even draft a player into that mix, go to camp, see who shakes out.  I think Perine would still be eligible for the PS, possibly Ty Johnson as well.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'll add the following: 

• EDGE Bryce Huff: Huff flashed as a flex EDGE/SLB in college and during his first season in New York. He's not going to fit as a SLB in this defense and I'm not sure he can he be an every down LEO/DE?

• DE Kyle Phillips: he could have a role in the 4-3 under/over as a 5-tech, but he’s too much of a LEO/5-tech tweener and faces staunch competition for reps.

• CB Javelin Guidry: Guidry flashed as a nickel corner, but the cover 3 may not be the best fit for him. He struggled playing zone defense in college, and this scheme doesn’t accommodate “slot-only” corners.

• CB Brian Poole (UFA): like Guidry, Poole is a slot-only corner which the cover 3 doesn’t necessarily accommodate. He becomes expendable as the Jets would likely hold Guidry as their one specialty nickel corner. 

Have to disagree. Saleh has already said a few times that Cover 3 is just a base and that they will adjust to their players. All of these guys are among the most promising of our players and one of the best players in Poole and you want to dump all of them. Not going to happen. Also, Williams once stated that Kyle Phillips was the most scheme adjustable lineman on the Jets.  And Huff MORE than flashed after making the leap from a small college. He was consistently winning his assignment.

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

2 busts from the draft and anderson?

Yea we could live without em

I wonder how JD would honestly evaluate his 1st “lead dog” draft and FA.

I would give it a “C” The Adams trade an A+. That moves him to a low C+ 

Better than we’ve had in a decade. I hope he learns from his mistakes.

Regarding Perine I thought JD placed a high value on athleticism, something Perine lacks.

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

lamical-perine-1.jpg

RB LaMical Perine:

QB James Morgan:

DL Henry Anderson:

3eGnp281pOU

No one should give a sh*t about Henry Anderson. He's already a way overpaid BUM that's been scheduled mercifully CUT. He's just another Mike Macagnan f*ck up...

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Have to disagree. Saleh has already said a few times that Cover 3 is just a base and that they will adjust to their players. All of these guys are among the most promising of our players and one of the best players in Poole and you want to dump all of them. Not going to happen. Also, Williams once stated that Kyle Phillips was the most scheme adjustable lineman on the Jets.  And Huff MORE than flashed after making the leap from a small college. He was consistently winning his assignment.

I'm not suggesting we scrap these guys, I just see them as questionable fits for the defense and may not be utilized as much in a new scheme. I think Poole is going to walk, and if these are among our most promising players we have significant problems (which we do defensively). Kyle Phillips is coming off an injury and while versatile, I wonder if the Jets will look to replace him with a better talent. Otherwise he fits as a bear DE/5-tech. I like Huff but the Jets will look to add multiple upgrades ahead of him, and he's best as a standup 3-4 OLB. Doesn't mean he can't have a role, but I think it'll be diminished

This is crazy talk.

There is going to be a lot of turnover on the roster.  Who gets dumped is in large part determined by the FA's and draft choices made by JD.  The fact that a rookie didn't start in year 1 or there is some other reason a fan doesn't like a player is not a reason to cut him.

Of those mentioned, Anderson is the most likely to go based on contract.  But who knows?

We bring 90 players to camp.  Why would you cut Perine now?  This is only a rumor, but some players improve between year 1 and year 2.  Might be smart to wait and see.

Perine was a terrible pick-Gase “system” player, whatever that is.  

Same with Morgan.  

I thought Kyle Phillips could find a role. 

But what this tells me is that a lot of the players on the roster don’t fit the new system.  So trading for a QB does not make a heck of a lot of sense.  

• Upvote 1