Texans’ Demands For Deshaun Watson Trade Revealed

Bronx

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm not too dissatisfied. I think the Jets are in the best position they could be in possibly ever. 

Either they're sticking with Darnold and will have +5 Day 1 picks, +5 Day 2 picks over a 2 year span, drafting Wilson (my man-crush) and still have 3 additional Day 1 picks and 5 Day 2 picks over the next 2 years.

Fans should've never gotten their hopes up the way they have for Watson. It diminished how well positioned the Jets are to build a sustainable winner from the jump. 

Picks.

Awesome.  A team full of Denzel Mim'es and Ashtyn Davis'es.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If I had any responsibility for this decision, one person I would definitely reach out to is Jordan Palmer.  He worked with both Sam and Josh Allen last summer.  He might have the most insight of anyone on the planet to share on these two young QBs.  I would assume that conversation has already happened and therefore the Jets have insight we don't have. 

I would strongly assume that conversation has not taken place, nor should it.  Darnold is Palmers client.  He probably makes $100,000 a year or more off Darnold.  That would be like asking Darnold's agent if they should exend him for a monster contract.  LOL

19 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I would strongly assume that conversation has not taken place, nor should it.  Darnold is Palmers client.  He probably makes $100,000 a year or more off Darnold.  That would be like asking Darnold's agent if they should exend him for a monster contract.  LOL

It would be like this dude having Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, and Patrick Mahomes rated lower than every statuesque redhead this side of Andy Dalton.

douglas_joe.0.0.jpeg

2 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm not too dissatisfied. I think the Jets are in the best position they could be in possibly ever. 

Either they're sticking with Darnold and will have +5 Day 1 picks, +5 Day 2 picks over a 2 year span, drafting Wilson (my man-crush) and still have 3 additional Day 1 picks and 5 Day 2 picks over the next 2 years.

Fans should've never gotten their hopes up the way they have for Watson. It diminished how well positioned the Jets are to build a sustainable winner from the jump. 

I'm optimistic too.  But until the team has a QB, all of this mostly means d**k.  And all these reports suggesting the Jets might just enter 2021 with Darnold as the unquestioned starter are concerning.  But provided that isn't the end result of the offseason, I'll continue to be optimistic.  

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm optimistic too.  But until the team has a QB, all of this mostly means d**k.  And all these reports suggesting the Jets might just enter 2021 with Darnold as the unquestioned starter are concerning.  But provided that isn't the end result of the offseason, I'll continue to be optimistic.  

Someone's delusional. Glad you found your Q but there's no such thing as a charlatan with a shelf life.

11 hours ago, football guy said:

I think it's Darnold or QB at #2. I don't think they'll get cute, nor do I think a QB will be worth taking at #23 that fits what the Jets need at QB. 

I think there exists a scenario where a team overpays for Darnold and Jets grab a veteran from somewhere. But ultimately I think it comes down to Darnold or Wilson. If they get a lot of value for Darnold, they may be willing to part and grab Wilson, maybe pair him with a veteran QB. Andy Dalton immediately comes to mind. In percentages. Below is my pie chart of scenarios: 

image.thumb.png.ab57b97ae255f1358cc6f453699a59d5.png

Do you see any chance of them drafting Fields instead of Wilson if they draft a QB?

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

WhY wOuLd DeShAuN wAnT oUt?!?!

"Time to throw out every cliche stereotype about groups of people because I don't actually talk to people and I don't know what they're like."

Even a polite church crowd sounded like they were saying "uh, wtf is this"....

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There is something to be said for the following:

1) Keeping Darnold and anointing him the starter

2) Trading out of #2 and getting a haul of picks

3) Using #23 (or another pick from trading out of #2) and drafting another QB NOT named Zach Wilson or Justin Fields.  Then, let's see what Darnold looks like with a real offence AND a QB waiting in the wings to take his job.  If it pushes him to be better, that is good for the team.  If he fails, but there has been a QB waiting in the wings for a year to take his job, that is good for the team.    All the while, you capitalized on that #2 pick and (hopefully) will fill multiple starter positions with the assets gained. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Time to throw out every cliche stereotype about groups of people because I don't actually talk to people and I don't know what they're like."

Even a polite church crowd sounded like they were saying "uh, wtf is this"....

I was once a guest at an Easter church service. Pastor/Hireling was preaching a heretical message and I raised my hand and challenged him on what he was preaching. Unlike the members of the church I knew scripture. At the end of the service he was outside shaking hands and I took his hand, looked him in the eye and told him that he would be held to account for the fallacies he was teaching. I was there (getting married ) several weeks later to my wife (by a a pastor I knew) and a guy came up to me and thanked me. My wife was thinking they were going to cancel our using the church to get married in so even up to the wedding day we weren’t sure if we would be locked out!

Good memories!

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

I was once a guest at an Easter church service. Pastor/Hireling was preaching a heretical message and I raised my hand and challenged him on what he was preaching. Unlike the members of the church I knew scripture. At the end of the service he was outside shaking hands and I took his hand, looked him in the eye and told him that he would be held to account for the fallacies he was teaching. I was there (getting married ) several weeks later to my wife (by a a pastor I knew) and a guy came up to me and thanked me. My wife was thinking they were going to cancel our using the church to get married in so even up to the wedding day we weren’t sure if we would be locked out!

Good memories!

That had to take a lot of courage.  Well done.  People can't be misleading their flocks.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

There is something to be said for the following:

1) Keeping Darnold and anointing him the starter

2) Trading out of #2 and getting a haul of picks

3) Using #23 (or another pick from trading out of #2) and drafting another QB NOT named Zach Wilson or Justin Fields.  Then, let's see what Darnold looks like with a real offence AND a QB waiting in the wings to take his job.  If it pushes him to be better, that is good for the team.  If he fails, but there has been a QB waiting in the wings for a year to take his job, that is good for the team.    All the while, you capitalized on that #2 pick and (hopefully) will fill multiple starter positions with the assets gained. 

The Jets need a QB.  Trading out of 2 just to take a QB later makes no sense to me.  Take the best QB on your board at 2, or don't take one at all (at least not in the 1st round), and go with a veteran option to compete with Darnold for the job.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets need a QB.  Trading out of 2 just to take a QB later makes no sense to me.  Take the best QB on your board at 2, or don't take one at all (at least not in the 1st round), and go with a veteran option to compete with Darnold for the job.

Again, that is one way of thinking about it Jetsfan80.

If JD doesn't think this team can compete, you don't risk everything on hoping you find ONE of the top five QB's in football.  Mahomes isn't so Patrick Mahome-y if he was drafted by the Jets.  Being put in the ideal system that he was put in helped him become what he has become.

So, if you think you are still another season or two from having a good enough team, you are wasting such high draft capital.  Pushing all your chips into the table when clearly you are bluffing.

There is another way to look at it:  Run with Darnold, who now possibly has a real NFL coach for once in his career coaching him.  If he can't do anything, you have (hopefully) put another 2-3 pieces in place.  It seems that most of the QB's that have been truly successful this past decade are ones who come into a MUCH better situation than the #1 overall pick.  There are more Robert Griffin's who were drafted in the top three rather than Andrew Luck's. 

Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Jarred Goff, Carson Wentz, Mitch Trubinsky, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold.  QB's arent' coming out of college anymore and saving franchises because the QB play isn't up to snuff making the jump from college to the pro's.  Players seem to be maturing later.  

So, drafting a guy a little later, let him sit for a year, put more talent at positions where it isn't as hard to bust, and build a better team.  Then, when the QB comes in, he already has enough talent around him to look good.  Its the exact same in college.  Some of these guys look fantastic in college because the teams are so stacked they can't NOT look anything like the next big QB thing.  

So yes, don't take one at all.  But if you trade out of #2, you will have that first round pick (wherever it is) from this year to fill a major hole AND have an option of taking another QB later in the first round.  Then you have a high second and two thirds this year to fill holes. 

Then, you have at least two firsts next year, possibly more, for moving out of #2.  That gives you ammunition to go get a QB and still have draft capital to fill holes.  I get it; its a long wait, and there is no guarantee it will work.  But the way we haven't been doing it for a decade hasn't worked either.  Its time to try a different strategy.