Texans’ Demands For Deshaun Watson Trade Revealed

Bronx

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Two firsts and an established player:

54B3043C-512B-439D-8A43-4E17B7BF2C3B.jpeg

McClain is basically the guy the organization uses to leak out sh*t.  He’s their mouth piece.  His proposal is probably closer to what Houston would actually want.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mogglez said:

McClain is basically the guy the organization uses to leak out sh*t.  He’s their mouth piece.  His proposal is probably closer to what Houston would actually want.

Agreed, but assuming that’s Houston’s actual baseline cost, which can be manipulated and whittled down, it’s still pretty cheap, IMO. The #2 this year is only appealing as trade bait for someone in love with Zack Wilson, and the players predicted to be available at 23 are eh. If you want start building out your offer with those two picks, I think that’s ok. If the rest of it is a second rounder and Quinnen, I don’t see how you can pass that up, especially with the reciprocal trade of Darnold to somewhat make up for the loss of picks. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed, but assuming that’s Houston’s actual baseline cost, which can be manipulated and whittled down, it’s still pretty cheap, IMO. The #2 this year is only appealing as trade bait for someone in love with Zack Wilson, and the players predicted to be available at 23 are eh. If you want start building out your offer with those two picks, I think that’s ok. If the rest of it is a second rounder and Quinnen, I don’t see how you can pass that up, especially with the reciprocal trade of Darnold to somewhat make up for the loss of picks. 

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If it's three firsts or two firsts and Quinnen, wouldn't you prefer giving away three firsts?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah I get that.  How much they’re willing to wiggle is the big question, and with Houston being so willing to potentially play hardball, I don’t know if there is that much wiggle room.  I don’t know how you feel about the value of the 2nd overall pick, but there is the potential for a MASSIVE haul if they trade down.  That certainly has to be weighed.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If it's three firsts or two firsts and Quinnen, wouldn't you prefer giving away three firsts?

Three firsts.  23OA and both picks next year.  Then I’d trade down from 2OA and get back, at least, a first for next year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Three firsts.  23OA and both picks next year.  Then I’d trade 2OA and get back a first for next year.

That would be the ideal, but I think I'd still be willing to trade the #2, the #23 and one of next years firsts if it came down to it.

Either way, I'd prefer either your proposal or mine to one including Quinnen.

How high are the Jets internally on Q?

• Upvote 3

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

That would be the ideal, but I think I'd still be willing to trade the #2, the #23 and one of next years pick if ti came down to it.

Either way, I'd prefer either your proposal or mine to one including Quinnen.

How high are the Jets internally on Q?

Given how much 2OA could bring back in a trade down, I’d say “fine, then you’re just getting 2OA and 23OA, and we’ll throw in someone like Foley Fatukasi, but nothing or no one else of significance, that’s more than enough for a player that refuses to play for you.”

As for Q?  Incredibly high.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I would guess so, because unless Saleh is absolute garbage, next year’s first rounder should be in the 18-25 range with Watson as his starting QB. 

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah I get that.  How much they’re willing to wiggle is the big question, and with Houston being so willing to potentially play hardball, I don’t know if there is that much wiggle room.  I don’t know how you feel about the value of the 2nd overall pick, but there is the potential for a MASSIVE haul if they trade down.  That’s certainly has to be weighed.

Here’s my problem on that, and why I’m so gung-ho to go scorched earth on this deal: even if the Jets get six first rounders over the next three years, the chances of any of those six being as good as Watson are negligible, and I don’t think you can expect Saleh to compete without a plus quarterback, but you can realistically expect playoff runs with Watson. I am of the belief that the talent level isn’t *that far away* and what we witnessed this year was a Gase/Darnold-induced malaise that made everyone look like sh*t. Additionally, given McClain’s tone shifts, I don’t think the Texans have the will or desire to drag this out, so juicing the offer a bit to lock this up quickly would be ok. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Given how much 2OA could bring back in a trade down, I’d say “fine, then you’re just getting 2OA and 23OA, and we’ll throw in someone like Foley Fatukasi, but nothing or no one else of significance, that’s more than enough for a player that refuses to play for you.”

As for Q?  Incredibly high.

Agreed

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah I get that.  How much they’re willing to wiggle is the big question, and with Houston being so willing to potentially play hardball, I don’t know if there is that much wiggle room.  I don’t know how you feel about the value of the 2nd overall pick, but there is the potential for a MASSIVE haul if they trade down.  That certainly has to be weighed.

If the Texans are looking to trade the 2nd overall, and they are competent,  they'll have that trade-down negotiated before they trade Watson for it.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

They want two first? Fine, give them both Seattle first and their Third and Ashtyn Davis and a DL not named Q. This essentially  replaces Adams with Watson correcting a Mac mistake.

Why bother even calling in this offer?   Twenty teams can beat that.

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

They want two first? Fine, give them both Seattle first and their Third and Ashtyn Davis and a DL not named Q. This essentially  replaces Adams with Watson correcting a Mac mistake.

crazy right.....  we could have and should have had him 4 years ago but NO.... MAC wanted a safety for a team with a journeyman QB.   THEN he trades 3 seconds to draft Darnold.   

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Three firsts.  23OA and both picks next year.  Then I’d trade down from 2OA and get back, at least, a first for next year.

But the 2 is what gives us the potential edge over other teams.  Carolina, Miami, or Atlanta could all outbid us with top 10 picks this year.  I can't see any way of making the deal without including the 2.

• Upvote 3

It’s funny how some here were calling Q a fat lazy slob last year and how we should have traded him for a mid round pick. Bust of epic proportions. 

Now folks are starting to see his true value. Took 1 year to get him to take the next step. Next year he’ll be even more beastly. 

I’m not including him in any deal. He’s 23 and on his way to being our Aaron  Donald. 

Watson can go cry elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

Gaining Watson provides more offense than losing QW is preventing oppo offenses. No matter how good QW is, his net effect on D, and his individual sacks and TFL etc don’t close the margin vs Watson.

Also when you look at their value vs replacement — again, it’s not close. There are several DL on the team RIGHT NOW that may not be superstars, but are quite serviceable DTs. The team has been adept at developing mid-level DL talent.

Finally, if you get Watson, you don’t also keep Darnold. Getting rid of Darnold offsets the trade package to Texans.

I would trade two #1s and QW at the end of the day (although I would try to avoid sending QW, and dangle Maye, Fatu, Jenkins, Hall, etc), knowing that Darnold offsets this package with an additional first or second rounder coming back and that Watson > QW net effect on the scoreboard.

• Upvote 1

Like so many here, I’ve allowed myself at times to get really worried about what might happen in the DW4 saga. At some point, I have to ground myself in reality.

My reading of reality is that the Jets are a bad team but, having reached rock bottom, we’ve put ourselves on a hopeful path. We have high picks this year and extra picks this year and next. We have a large amount of cap room. We have a new head coach who garners universal praise. The new staff seems top notch as well. Sounds pretty good.

So along comes DW4 and we now actually fear that the GM who put us in the advantageous position will sell the farm based on a Manish-level tweet from a Houston reporter. So I’ll throw in a prediction: No way we’ll be part of such a ridiculous deal that probably even has the feeble-minded Texan’s FO laughing.

Like Greenbean’s latest vid, I believe we’re driving the bus. JD put us in exactly the right position for an orderly rebuild. He will either cut a deal that advances our position (in his opinion that I am trusting more over time) or he’ll tell Houston to find another buyer and let that team make a foolish deal.

Oh no...what if a division rival makes a foolish deal instead of us? Ummmm...this is what we usually desire.

Houston is the group under pressure here, not us. They will either make a reasonable deal with us (the best team in a position to offer a reasonable deal) or they will fleece some other team. All good for us!

So without worry, if I were JD, I would believe that pick #2 is too low for DW4 because you go from known young talented QB to a guess. I offer that and one of our two #1’s next year along with Sam and Henry Anderson who won’t fit as well in Saleh’s D as he fits now. This my my guess for a trade that advances us and would help Houston recover from DW4 and their present cap hell.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Go cry?

He's making ownership pay for lies.

It'd be pretty cool having a QB that could whip the d!cks (Johnsons) into shape.

He signed a contract knowing who the owner was, how dysfunctional the organization was, AFTER they traded away Hopkins. 

He knew ALL of this and he still took the money. Verbal promises are worth the paper they are written on. If he wanted say in coaching decisions, he should have gotten it in his contract. Like his guaranteed money. And his no trade clause. 

He’s crying now because he has buyers remorse. After he took $70 mill guaranteed. I’m sorry, I have no sympathy for him. He knew exactly what he was signing up for. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

He signed a contract knowing who the owner was, how dysfunctional the organization was, AFTER they traded away Hopkins. 

He knew ALL of this and he still took the money. Verbal promises are worth the paper they are written on. If he wanted say in coaching decisions, he should have gotten it in his contract. Like his guaranteed money. And his no trade clause. 

He’s crying now because he has buyers remorse. After he took $70 mill guaranteed. I’m sorry, I have no sympathy for him. He knew exactly what he was signing up for. 

I don't think he cares if you have sympathy for him or not.

He's doing everything he's allowed to do.

If ownership wanted to avoid this, they shouldn't have lied.

Now they face the consequences. 

There’s no other team that match what the Jets can offer.  Some might say Miami, but they don’t have a “young” defensive player (i.e., first contract player) up there with QW and the Jets’ second overall pick would guarantee them that they can have their pick of Wilson or Fields.  If I’m Douglas, I’m not overpaying (the McClain proposal qualifies as overpaying) because he is just bidding against himself.

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’d have a hard time parting with Q, but if that’s what it takes might have to do it. Tough call

Was not a QW fan. Wanted him out. I was WRONG WRONG WRONG. No way - in you know where - does QW become part of a package for Watson. Tell the Texans to go jump in a lake and draft a QB next year since they won’t be drafting one this year if they trade Watson. No one is going to give them that and even if a trade like that went down, they’d still probably lose out on the next 2 of 3 QB prospects (Fields, Lance, Wilson) - because YOU KNOW we are taking one of either Fields or Wilson if we don’t trade for Watson. 

56 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Until I hear from the Texans I make no offer. It's just media chatter.

If they do signal directly that they are interested, I would want them to name their price. Then we could see if there is a deal to be done.

(And I might get excited!)

Ahh common sense so rare around here...:beer: