Texans’ Demands For Deshaun Watson Trade Revealed

Bronx

This is how it’ll look if/when Watson is traded, btw. Schefter and Rapoport will cast doubt upon it happening all the way up until actually announcing it happening, then they’ll spend the week following it doing interviews like this, where they’re all “well, it was weeks in the making but it came together quickly, which is why we were totally out of the loop (wink wink), but of course it makes perfect sense because blah blah blah and now the Jets/Whoever have their quarterback and the Texans get to start over!” Zero self-reflection or awareness on their parts. NFL media is little more than a tool for agents to negotiate in public and for the league office to whitewash their ****ery afterward. 

• Upvote 1

I would take this report with a grain of salt. 

I'm not saying that ask wasn't leaked.  But I'd argue, despite Jets inclusion in John McClain's tweet, that it does not apply to us or the Dolphins.  It applies to everyone else.

Jet & Dolphins multiple 2021 1sts put us far and away ahead of what any other team can offer.  The mention of young defensive players, in my opinion, is Texans way of drumming up trade interest in Watson.  The only way teams like 49ers (Bosa & Warner), Redskins (Allen & Young), and Panthers (Burns, Brown, and Chinn) can compete with present day value of Jet & Dolphin picks is to add young players still in the first, second, or third years of their respective rookie deals.

At least that's my take on it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The Texans have a franchise QB locked up for 4 years at a fair salary and would take a cap hit to trade him.  

If they can get their acts together in 2 years they can compete again.  

Plus, my guess is that the owner is not the type to let a player shoot his way out of his contract even their investment in him.   That does not fly well in Texas.  

I honestly don’t think the 2 pick is that great for the Jets, not surprisingly.  Imperfect QBs?  OT?  Small receiver?  This the draft you trade down from, keep Darnold, look for someone else.  

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is how it’ll look if/when Watson is traded, btw. Schefter and Rapoport will cast doubt upon it happening all the way up until actually announcing it happening, then they’ll spend the week following it doing interviews like this, where they’re all “well, it was weeks in the making but it came together quickly, which is why we were totally out of the loop (wink wink), but of course it makes perfect sense because blah blah blah and now the Jets/Whoever have their quarterback and the Texans get to start over!” Zero self-reflection or awareness on their parts. NFL media is little more than a tool for agents to negotiate in public and for the league office to whitewash their ****ery afterward. 

Hence why guys with some front office connections, like @Mogglez and @football guy, are highly valuable to have around here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yeah, it's great............ until they tell me something I don't want to hear. Then their HACK Wannabees!! JK

Michael Scott No GIF

Exactly, lol.  I've gone back and forth with @football guy a lot lately, but mostly because he seems to agree with the front office people he's connected to that the Jets should stick with Darnold another year.  But regardless of his opinions, the info he gives us is always welcome.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The insiders are full of it. Some of them say things like you mentioned ("it came together quickly"), others are more calculated and purposely fib because teams don't want them to shed light on the process in case they told other teams something different/don't want certain specifics being leaked.

For example, I'm pretty sure the Lions had wink-wink agreement with the Rams and simply used other teams to create leverage/a framework for a fair trade. If, say, the Panthers found out that they were just being used, then a bridge is burned between the two teams. So if someone like Rapoport were to report that when it still has the national attention, Lions would be pissed and could even blacklist said insider. Instead, he says this, and I bet in 3-6 months later when no one is paying attention, he'll disclose the real story.

• Post of the Week 2

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly, lol.  I've gone back and forth with @football guy a lot lately, but mostly because he seems to agree with the front office people he's connected to that the Jets should stick with Darnold another year.  But regardless of his opinions, the info he gives us is always welcome.

It's all in good fun; no one grows their intellectual capacity in an echo chamber. 

My perspective on Darnold does align with the thought that keeping him may be the best course forward to building a sustainable winner given the amount of talented players we can acquire by dealing #2. I don't know for sure that's what the team will do, but I certainly believe they're leaning that way based on everything I've learned over the course of the past 6 months. I also realize that the game is bigger than one position. I realize that past performance is not always predictive of future success. I realize that evaluating QBing/statistical performance in the 2010-20s is not nearly as accurate of an indicator of a player's ability as it was in the 1970s-2000s (see Goff, Trubisky... see Stafford, Allen pre-2020). 

Personally/emotionally, I would love Zach Wilson. I think he has the kind of ability to be the next Mahomes if he's coached and supported properly. I do think because of the kind of player he is, he'll have a harder time adjusting to an NFL offense/has a lower floor, but you have to risk-it for the biscuit. I'll be a supporter of his wherever he goes... I think he's best fit in Carolina with Joe Brady, but he'd absolutely be a fit in a Shanahan scheme too. Being said, we are looking at a 2-3 year rebuild if we draft a QB, and while the rookie contract has its advantages, it means less for us because by the time the roster is ready to be a perennial contender the QB will need to get paid. No team has ever won the SB with a QB who accounted for more than 12-14% of the team's cap in that given year (I forget which number but clearly the Chiefs recognized that given the unique structure of Mahomes contract). For those reasons, despite liking Wilson a lot more than any of the QBs next year (so far), I appreciate the value of resisting drafting him in place of acquiring tons of talent/future picks... if this team can hit on some of our picks these next 2 years, we could have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL by 2023. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, football guy said:

It's all in good fun; no one grows their intellectual capacity in an echo chamber. 

My perspective on Darnold does align with the thought that keeping him may be the best course forward to building a sustainable winner given the amount of talented players we can acquire by dealing #2. I don't know for sure that's what the team will do, but I certainly believe they're leaning that way based on everything I've learned over the course of the past 6 months. I also realize that the game is bigger than one position. I realize that past performance is not always predictive of future success. I realize that evaluating QBing/statistical performance in the 2010-20s is not nearly as accurate of an indicator of a player's ability as it was in the 1970s-2000s (see Goff, Trubisky... see Stafford, Allen pre-2020).

We just call this whole line of nonsense 'Actually Good.'

The echo chamber does more for economy than capacity.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, football guy said:

Personally/emotionally, I would love Zach Wilson. I think he has the kind of ability to be the next Mahomes if he's coached and supported properly. I do think because of the kind of player he is, he'll have a harder time adjusting to an NFL offense/has a lower floor, but you have to risk-it for the biscuit. I'll be a supporter of his wherever he goes... I think he's best fit in Carolina with Joe Brady, but he'd absolutely be a fit in a Shanahan scheme too. Being said, we are looking at a 2-3 year rebuild if we draft a QB, and while the rookie contract has its advantages, it means less for us because by the time the roster is ready to be a perennial contender the QB will need to get paid. No team has ever won the SB with a QB who accounted for more than 12-14% of the team's cap in that given year (I forget which number but clearly the Chiefs recognized that given the unique structure of Mahomes contract). For those reasons, despite liking Wilson a lot more than any of the QBs next year (so far), I appreciate the value of resisting drafting him in place of acquiring tons of talent/future picks... if this team can hit on some of our picks these next 2 years, we could have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL by 2023. 

why do you think wilson would have a hard time adjusting to the nfl?  he actually said in an interview he already knows the SF offense and could step right into that offense.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Jets will trade Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jamax99 said:

JETS could get 3 late round picks for the #2 pick.  Plenty of teams will give 3 to get QB prospect at 2 .   I think # 2   Seattle 2022 1st and 3rd .  QW  will get it done. 

They aren't trading willians. If they do Douglas needs to be fired

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

why do you think wilson would have a hard time adjusting to the nfl?  he actually said in an interview he already knows the SF offense and could step right into that offense.

I read this recently myself.  It was said before the Saleh hire but it makes me believe if the Watson deal falls through, we take him over Fields.

When asked which NFL system he felt might be best suited for him.

"Yeah, I haven't watched a ton of specifics with NFL teams as far as what offenses they're running," Wilson responded. "One, just off the top of my head, is the 49ers, just because I'm very familiar with what coach Kyle Shanahan does and the system they have in place, and I think I'd fit in well there."

On 1/31/2021 at 11:03 AM, Bronx said:

After the Los Angeles Rams gave up two first-round picks and QB Jared Goff to land Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford, attention is once again on the Houston Texans and what they’ll want in a Deshaun Watson trade.

But Texans insider John McClain seems to know what the Texans want for the three-time Pro Bowler. Taking to Twitter this morning, McClain declared that the Rams-Lions trade will have no impact on a Deshaun Watson trade.

McClain revealed that Houston will want two first-round picks, two second-round picks and two “young defensive starters, at the least” for Watson. He pointed out all of the qualities that Deshaun Watson has which make him unique as a trade prospect.

Naturally, one particular team came to mind. “Start with the Jets,” McClain concluded.

The Rams-Lions trade will have nothing to do with a Watson trade if the Texans do it. They'll want 2 ones, 2 twos and 2 young defensive starters, at the least. Watson, 25, under contract, great QB, team leader, beloved by fans, pillar of the community. Start with the Jets.

Share this Tweet

McClain isn’t too far off. If there’s one team in the NFL that can afford a Deshaun Watson trade right now and meet all of those “requirements,” it’s the Jets.

The Jets have four first-round picks over the next two seasons.

As for “young defensive starters,” the Jets don’t have too many. But Quinnen Williams, Folorunso “Foley” Fatukasi, Ashtyn Davis and Bryce Hall are some potential bargaining chips.

Combine all of that with the belief that Watson likes newly-hired Jets head coach Robert Saleh, and you have a recipe for a no-brainer trade.

Which team will pull off a Deshaun Watson trade?

Screw this McLain Idiot ... sounds like a homer trying to sweeten the deal for the Idiot team he roots for.

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

He's never had to deal with pressure. His entire career has practically been 7-on-7 given the lack of competition/scheme he plays in/elite level OL play at the college level. Only game he faced pressure that I can think of is against Coastal Carolina. Couple that with his frame and preexisting injury issues, I'd be concerned rushing him onto the field too early in a scheme that places a heavy emphasis on OL chemistry and timing. I'd prefer he spends time in his rookie year learning the protection scheme, blitz pickup, and how NFL defenses will attack him.  

Lesser concern to monitor: despite all of Wilson's impressive throws, he did have a lot of guys that were running wide open. That's not as much of a concern for him given that he's shown a consistent ability to make ridiculous instinctual throws with rare anticipation, but he did throw way too many yolo/hospital balls that won't work in the NFL. His arm is better than Darnold's, but he's very similar in that he throws off-platform, doesn't step into throws, and displays inconsistent throwing mechanics. He got away with it at BYU, but I'm sure scouts would say these issues would have resulted in more turnovers against better competition. Personally, that doesn't bother me because he's likely headed to a good coaching staff (better than Sam's ever had), but it'll be hard for him to adjust starting from day 1.

Ideally, whoever drafts Wilson should have a veteran stop-gap. Force him to outplay the veteran in order to get on the field. You know he's eventually going to get on the field in his rookie year so don't worry too much about when (strategically the Dolphins plan to set a predetermined date was good even though I wasn't a fan of it at the time nor am I a fan of Tua), but I'd like to keep the competition honest. Feel like it forces younger players to focus and compete that much more, especially in training camp, while allowing them to focus less on 1st team reps and more on fundamentals and enhancing their recall. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Yes you do..... It's insane especially when Watson can veto any trade. 

What about CJ Mosley? He’s young and has name value.  Because of the opt out I’m pretty sure he can be cheap to trade. 

The other, Marcus Maye.
He’s been publicly endorsed by JD (which actually indicates value); and Saleh can easily lure some free agent 49er DBs, one of whom, was a probowl FS. 

If not them, it would be easy to move some talented 3-4 guys that wouldn’t necessarily fit the 4-3 under. 

On 1/31/2021 at 6:26 PM, Wonderboy said:

So funny! Last I heard just the other day was Texans have ZERO interest in trading Watson. ? LOL ? Watson must have contacted Tex GM and let him know what he thought about that. All of a freaking sudden, they list their demands like they think they can bully any team around. Give them a fair offer - #2, a #1 NEXT year, and a #3 and a player not named QW. If they refuse EFF em. I’ll stay with our picks, draft a QB @ 2, get a edge @ 23, a CB at 34 and a few Free agents. We are REBUILDING. We are not a playoff caliber team right now. Getting Watson is not making that happen overnight.  Id love to get him but not at the expense of getting ripped off.  

Adam Gase had no interest in losing games last year. Sometimes these things take on a life of their own lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

What about CJ Mosley? He’s young and has name value.  Because of the opt out I’m pretty sure he can be cheap to trade. 

The other, Marcus Maye.
He’s been publicly endorsed by JD (which actually indicates value); and Saleh can easily lure some free agent 49er DBs, one of whom, was a probowl FS. 

If not them, it would be easy to move some talented 3-4 guys that wouldn’t necessarily fit the 4-3 under. 

I'd love to trade Mosley, he's only like $7.5m this year so that's awesome. The Texans would just need to have the cap in 2022. Maye is a FA so I think they'd have to sign him or do a tag and trade. I hope we keep Maye though, I'd really prefer just to give up picks.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd love to trade Mosley, he's only like $7.5m this year so that's awesome. The Texans would just need to have the cap in 2022. Maye is a FA so I think they'd have to sign him or do a tag and trade. I hope we keep Maye though, I'd really prefer just to give up picks.

I don’t think the market for CJ is that hot after not playing for 2 years

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You should add the words “3 to 5 first round picks” to your rhetorical question 

3-5 first round picks is for any team but us. The #2 pick carries more weight than anything anyone else can offer. If Houston likes Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, trading with Miami doesn't guarantee they get their guy. Only moving up to #2 does this.

That gives the Jets more leverage than anyone else. 

If packaging Quinnen Williams with the #2 pick gets us Watson, then I say "Bless you, screw you," and ship his Alabama ass to Houston.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You could spend all five of those picks on quarterbacks and the chances that one of those ends up being better than Deshaun Watson is effectively .00004%

[leaping to my feet with such fury I knock the table over and my Mountain Dew and cheese fries spill everywhere]

Excuse me, sir. Sir. Sir. Are you familiar with the play of Michael McCorkle Jones? The Lion of Tuscaloosa? Mr. Yellowhammer? The Beating Heart of Dixie? Have you seen him play, sir? Sir. Sir? Sir!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2