Watson’s “people” are quiet now

Wit

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Don't fall for it.

His agent is playing you just like everyone else plays Jets fans.  Want to create maximum buzz?  Want to generate maximum panic in Houston?  Ignite the 20M people in the NYC Metro area, make them feel the Deshaun love, tell them Miami is a threat. 

For 10 minutes worth of uploads and likes, there you go, it's The Decision all over again.  Deshaun doesn't want to play in New York; he just wants to play New York.

SAR I

maybe.  Do you have any evidence besides your hunch?  Seems pretty baseless.

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

maybe.  Do you have any evidence besides your hunch?  Seems pretty baseless.

Yes. We suck and are historically dysfunctional, the very things he is upset with in Houston.

Elite filthy-rich players don’t force their way off bottom-feeding teams to join other bottom-feeding teams.  Winning and lifestyle are paramount.  SF and Miami  make far more sense for a player who controls where he goes.  There is nothing baseless about common sense.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, undertow said:

That's the popular opinion these days but if you think Watson wouldn't have more exposure and be a bigger star then on the Houston Texans I think you are wrong....people barely talk about the Texans it's like playing baseball for the Florida Marlins.

Cowboys are the main attraction in Tx. Houston is the warm-up band before the warm-up band before the Rolling Stones concert.

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes. We suck and are historically dysfunctional, the very things he is upset with in Houston.

Elite filthy-rich players don’t force their way off bottom-feeding teams to join other bottom-feeding teams.  Winning and lifestyle are paramount.  SF and Miami  make far more sense for a player who controls where he goes.  There is nothing baseless about common sense.

SAR I

So there is no evidence.  Just opinion.  As I said, baseless.  Common sense says Watson would be thrilled to come here. It's new management here.  Common sense to the contrary would apply to former failed managements.  I can see how Watson would be excited to come here.  

Agree to disagree.  These are both just opinions.  Watson would be delighted to come here, IMO.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes, you can.  Two separate sellers with two different motivations. 

Houston has to get a new quarterback and has to get quality draft picks to rebuild their team.  They have very few options and are desperate.  Zach Wilson, a future first rounder, and a couple of second rounders will be their best option. 

The Jets can do nothing, take Zach Wilson themselves, and dangle Darnold to one of the 5-7 teams needing a quarterback who can’t get one of the FA’s or draft elites.  They will overpay for Darnold out of desperation.  Or we can keep him and have a competition with Wilson.  

The Texans are desperate for a quality Watson replacement and the Jets aren’t desperate because Wilson falls in their laps at no charge.  That’s how we can get a haul for Darnold and a bargain on Watson. 

SAR I

Cool, now explain it again without the Jets bias.

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

So there is no evidence.  Just opinion.  As I said, baseless.  Common sense says Watson would be thrilled to come here. It's new management here.  Common sense to the contrary would apply to former failed managements.  I can see how Watson would be excited to come here.  

Agree to disagree.  These are both just opinions.  Watson would be delighted to come here, IMO.  

Listen, I'd be thrilled if Watson wanted to be a New York Jet.  Who wouldn't?  Would be the biggest vote of confidence and sign of respect this franchise has had in 50 years.

But if he chooses the Jets it means he's not committed to winning, he's committed to social outreach and followers.  So if that's his mindset, he can go to Miami, also not win, also get social outreach, and have a gorgeous yacht on a white sandy beach in weather that never goes below 70 degrees and enough tax money to make his extended family comfortable for their lifetimes.

That's why I just don't see it.  If football matters to him, the Jets don't make sense.  If lifestyle matters to him, New York doesn't make sense.  The only thing that makes sense is igniting the massive NY fanbase to make Miami nervous enough to blink first.  If they don't, well, being a Jet beats being a Texan, so he'll take it if given no other choice.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Cool, now explain it again without the Jets bias.

It's not Jets bias.  I'm right down the middle on this issue.  I can go either way.  I can go full-Watson love, I can go full-Wilson love.  Either decision will work for me.

If I'm Joe Douglas, I'll take Deshaun Watson if it makes fiscal sense, and I'm going to stick to my guns of Wilson + 2022 1st + 2022 2nd + 2022 3rd.  No bias.  Zach Wilson is the cure for the pissed off Houston fanbase.  A reset with a cheap, fresh quarterback is what fixes their ills, not someone else's question mark (Tua, Darnold) or a pricey old guy (Winston, Trubisky).

And the same goes for the Jets.  The fanbase can be satisfied with a Wilson/Darnold training camp battle and a rookie reset in sync with the rebuild timeline.  We don't need Deshaun Watson.  We're not the 49ers, Dolphins, or Colts who think they are a QB away from the Super Bowl.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Listen, I'd be thrilled if Watson wanted to be a New York Jet.  Who wouldn't?  Would be the biggest vote of confidence and sign of respect this franchise has had in 50 years.

But if he chooses the Jets it means he's not committed to winning, he's committed to social outreach and followers.  So if that's his mindset, he can go to Miami, also not win, also get social outreach, and have a gorgeous yacht on a white sandy beach in weather that never goes below 70 degrees and enough tax money to make his extended family comfortable for their lifetimes.

That's why I just don't see it.  If football matters to him, the Jets don't make sense.  If lifestyle matters to him, New York doesn't make sense.  The only thing that makes sense is igniting the massive NY fanbase to make Miami nervous enough to blink first.  If they don't, well, being a Jet beats being a Texan, so he'll take it if given no other choice.

SAR I

I disagree with that! Did you forget the guy won a championship at Clemson, and literally put that school on the map in NCAA!! Deshaun is a proven winner

1 hour ago, jetsQuebec said:

I disagree with that! Did you forget the guy won a championship at Clemson, and literally put that school on the map in NCAA!! Deshaun is a proven winner

So you're saying he wants to leave a tough rebuild in Houston to start a tough rebuild in New York because he enjoys a challenge?

He's paid his dues and gotten beat up like a tackling dummy.  It would make more sense that he wants a talented, win-now roster in a warm climate.

SAR I

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

This is just the lull before the storm.  I’d expect a few more weeks of quiet, and then IF Deshaun still wants out they will go all scorched earth a week or two before free agency starts.  

Found a real video of Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh riding an elevator while Jet fans gather outside demanding to know why Watson isn't on the team yet.  Confirmed authentic by multiple sources.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

So you're saying he wants to leave a tough rebuild in Houston to start a tough rebuild in New York because he enjoys a challenge?

He's paid his dues and gotten beat up like a tackling dummy.  It would make more sense that he wants a talented, win-now roster in a warm climate.

SAR I

He's from Georgia it makes sense if everything was equal the Fins with a minority coach who has done a fine job going 10-6 last season plus no state tax, warm weather etc would be the place to go.. I think the Jets with JD and Saleh are finally on the right track but the Fin's are several steps ahead at this point.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

He's from Georgia it makes sense if everything was equal the Fins with a minority coach who has done a fine job going 10-6 last season plus no state tax, warm weather etc would be the place to go.. I think the Jets with JD and Saleh are finally on the right track but the Fin's are several steps ahead at this point.

Agreed.

I believe we are his lifeboat if the Niners/Fins and Texans can't work out a deal.

SAR I

There's no reason to try to make a stir this week. It's the SB week and the news is going to be dominated by the SB. It's also going to turn into comparisons of the Stafford/Goff trade and Watson. Watson's people are going to want the story to be about Watson, not comparisons to other trades or the SB. A week or two after the SB we'll probably see the issue reemerge. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

It's not Jets bias.  I'm right down the middle on this issue.  I can go either way.  I can go full-Watson love, I can go full-Wilson love.  Either decision will work for me.

If I'm Joe Douglas, I'll take Deshaun Watson if it makes fiscal sense, and I'm going to stick to my guns of Wilson + 2022 1st + 2022 2nd + 2022 3rd.  No bias.  Zach Wilson is the cure for the pissed off Houston fanbase.  A reset with a cheap, fresh quarterback is what fixes their ills, not someone else's question mark (Tua, Darnold) or a pricey old guy (Winston, Trubisky).

And the same goes for the Jets.  The fanbase can be satisfied with a Wilson/Darnold training camp battle and a rookie reset in sync with the rebuild timeline.  We don't need Deshaun Watson.  We're not the 49ers, Dolphins, or Colts who think they are a QB away from the Super Bowl.  

SAR I

Literally none of these words address your silly rebuttal. You are simply moving the discussion another direction. I’m good.

53 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Literally none of these words address your silly rebuttal. You are simply moving the discussion another direction. I’m good.

From what I can tell you're telling me that 1) I wrongly believe Darnold is worth more than believed and 2) I wrongly believe we can get Watson for less than believed because 3) I have Jets bias.

And I am rebutting by saying 1)  I am good with either Wilson or Watson with no preference, 2) The Jets have no urgency whereas the Texans must get a new QB, and 3) there is no Jets bias as a result.

It's common sense.  The Texans have no leverage because the Jets are only casually interested.  The pressure is on the Texans to make something happen on the Jets terms and that's only if Watson actually wants to come here (I don't think he does).

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Well, there was this from Watson's agent this afternoon.  lol.

Looks like they’re talking again. We may need to change the title...”Watson’s people were quiet but are now talking”.

Or we may need a new Watson thread to address this new development.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Cowboys are the main attraction in Tx. Houston is the warm-up band before the warm-up band before the Rolling Stones concert.

I dunno about that.  I used to live near Houston and the Texans pretty much own that city now. 

Astros and Rockets have big followings but it’s a Texans city

47 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Looks like they’re talking again. We may need to change the title...”Watson’s people were quiet but are now talking”.

Or we may need a new Watson thread to address this new development.

This is pretty quiet to me. He said this to shut down the notion that Watson is holding out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

From what I can tell you're telling me that 1) I wrongly believe Darnold is worth more than believed and 2) I wrongly believe we can get Watson for less than believed because 3) I have Jets bias.

And I am rebutting by saying 1)  I am good with either Wilson or Watson with no preference, 2) The Jets have no urgency whereas the Texans must get a new QB, and 3) there is no Jets bias as a result.

It's common sense.  The Texans have no leverage because the Jets are only casually interested.  The pressure is on the Texans to make something happen on the Jets terms and that's only if Watson actually wants to come here (I don't think he does).

SAR I

I’m saying that it’s typical Jets fan foolery to think we’re going to get a ‘haul’ for Darnold and a ‘desperation bargain’ for Watson. No amount of make-believe or rationalization changes that the expectation that both scenarios absurdly favor the Jets are 1) improbable and 2) historically proven to be unrealistic.

The rest is just SAR hot air.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Thank you for your opinion

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m saying that it’s typical Jets fan foolery to think we’re going to get a ‘haul’ for Darnold and a ‘desperation bargain’ for Watson. No amount of make-believe or rationalization changes that the expectation that both scenarios absurdly favor the Jets are 1) improbable and 2) historically proven to be unrealistic.

The rest is just SAR hot air.

If you were Jets Fan platinum this might be worth continuing.  

SAR I

• Haha 1