Quinnen Williams is The Prince That was Promised.

Shockwave

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Given the run success stats - 3 of the top 4 players are Jets - is there an element here of scheme vs. talent?

Not trying to take anything away from Q, but that suggests to me there's a certain amount of "plug and play" happening. 

Excited to see what Q can do next year ... he's still not reached his potential yet, so Year 3 should hopefully be a step up (even if there is a learning curve with the new coaches / scheme).

Really good question. 

The reason you try to use stats like "Win rate" hurries, Stuffs etc are to try to mitigate the system. But heres an opinion from Jon Gruden from last year. 

Raiders’ Jon Gruden claims Quinnen Williams the reason for Jets’ No. 1 rushing defense

“They’re the No. 1 rushing defense in football and he’s the reason why,” Gruden said on a conference call. “He’s healthy and moving around much better than he did earlier in the season.

“There’s a lot of stuff you got to learn in your first year in the NFL, especially when you play for Gregg Williams. It looks like he’s playing with a lot more confidence, energy. He’s a force in there. It’ll be a challenge for us.”

https://clutchpoints.com/raiders-news-jon-gruden-claims-quinnen-williams-the-reason-for-jets-no-1-rushing-defense/

This was during his rookie season when many here thought he was a bust at 21 years old. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, King P said:

Half this board hated the Q-Will pick, bashed Macc for going BPA instead of trading down, and labeled him a bust after his rookie season. Now all of a sudden we're scoffing at the idea of trading him lmao.

Not saying I'd definitely trade him.  But the fact that he's looked at as untouchable around year after the views of him last year are hilarious to me 

Q. Will was firmly planted on my "dont draft" list.  lol.   Thought he'd be a run stuffer at the next level which isnt worth the #3 overall pick.  I was wrong.  He's a violent disrupter who can penetrate and I love penetration.  He's really the only player I like on the Jets too because his personality is awesome.  Some of the interviews after he was drafted, so good, so loveable. 

That said, I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Watson.

lol

• Upvote 3

I'm really happy with Quinnen's development, and I think we're about to switch to a defense that maximizes his skillset even more. 

I don't want to deal him, I'd rather trade picks in a potential Watson deal.

That said, nobody is Aaron Donald. I think Quinnen could be a Chris Jones, though. And that type of player is a beast and worth signing long-term. 

7 hours ago, football guy said:

Amazes me how people are so willing to part with Q. After 10 years of drafting IDL types hoping they would be "special", the Jets finally find the one and segments of the fanbase were ready to move him last offseason and now this one.

There's not anyone you can compare him to because he's kind of the first of his kind... an elite game changing run defender and pass rusher... there were glimpses of Gerald McCoy, Joe Klecko, and Joe Greene when he was coming out, but even then you couldn't pinpoint a true comp. He's not like Aaron Donald the pass rusher, but he's in that stratosphere of player who impacts the game on an unworldly level; he very realistically can be equal the game-wrecker that Donald has become. 

If Jamal Adams was worth 2-firsts and a third, Quinnen is worth more. 

For a young guy you definitely know a ton. You need a Twitter - Great reads wether one is full agreement or not with your stance which is really hard to do. You'd do really well. 

Do you think theres any chance the Jets would make him available in a Watson deal? Obviously I am hoping not. Also what are you thoughts on him in Saleh's defense?

Lastly your thoughts on Franklin Meyers this year? Does he start?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, nycdan said:

I don't believe the Texans have mentioned any players.  This is pretty much media and fan speculation.  They look over the roster, pick a player or two that they want, and float the trade.  It's a total nothing-sandwich.  Someone else is floating that CHI might offer two 1sts plus Khalil Mack and Eddie Jackson.  Leaving aside that the cap makes that nearly impossible, does anyone outside of HOU actually believe that?  

There's an article, saying they want 2 #1s, 2 #2,s and 2 young starting defensive players.

16 minutes ago, chirorob said:

There's an article, saying they want 2 #1s, 2 #2,s and 2 young starting defensive players.

But I don't believe teams can mention 'specific' players by name publicly as that would seem to be tampering.  Saying you would be open to players is fine.  Saying you want Two 1sts, Two seconds, Quinnen Williams and Mekhi Becton?  that's fantasy-land and you can actually find it on the Texans fan board.

Quinnen was great last year and if he doesn’t improve will remain a top 10 IDL. That’s great, that has value.

Quinnen was also a terrible draft pick because we were trying to build around a new HC and Sam Darnold. The focus should’ve been towards improving our offense and supporting the young QB. 

Now, going into season 3 of Quinnen, he is a foundational piece for this team. He’s important for the long term success of this defense. He can anchor the defense while we use assets to either get Deshaun Watson or build around a new QB. 

Quinnen’s value is a 1st rounder+ right now, throwing him plus 2 more first round picks for Watson is an over pay that hurts the team in the short term. 

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Really good question. 

The reason you try to use stats like "Win rate" hurries, Stuffs etc are to try to mitigate the system. But heres an opinion from Jon Gruden from last year. 

https://clutchpoints.com/raiders-news-jon-gruden-claims-quinnen-williams-the-reason-for-jets-no-1-rushing-defense/

This was during his rookie season when many here thought he was a bust at 21 years old. 

So in this case the reason for the other two being so high be be due to Q's presence ... kind of a "rising tide lifts all boats". 

I certainly like that idea more. :-)  

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

No disrespect to anyone here who thinks otherwise.   But the thought that we'd lose Watson in a trade because of Q or any other player is laughable.   Just another in the mountain of Jet blunders.

Watson is a transformational player we haven't had since Joe.  Maybe a wrung down from Mahomes, but who isn't?  

Watching a guy like Watson run our offense would immediately show everyone here how hamstrung the team was with Darnold's poor play.  Comparing the two is a joke.

If Im sending firsts to Houston, I m not adding another player-QW, the 3rd overall pick with those picks.

If theyre asking for 3 1sts and Quinnen I ask them who else is trading hight 1sts and a young stud DL.  

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

First off, thats speculation from the media

Second, all 1st round picks, 2nds etc are not created equal.  Are we talking 23rd.  Because thats a hell of a lot different than the 2nd overall pick

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If Im sending firsts to Houston, I m not adding another player-QW, the 3rd overall pick with those picks.

If theyre asking for 3 1sts and Quinnen I ask them who else is trading hight 1sts and a young stud DL.  

For Watson, I give them anything they want including support personnel, kitchen staff, janitorial members, anyone.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, have to say I dont agree.  

But thats fine. 

Of course.  It's just that there are so few QBs who can transform a team on their own.  Right or wrong, I believe Watson is one of them.   I don't want to lose the chance to sign him over draft picks or any player on our roster.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Of course.  It's just that there are so few QBs who can transform a team on their own.  Right or wrong, I believe Watson is one of them.   I don't want to lose the chance to sign him over draft picks or any player on our roster.

I love Watson, wanted the Jets to draft him when people would tell me that he sucked.  Thing is at some point when the demands turn to our picks and QW, I think the team is better off going a different way.

Thats all

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Do Jets fans know how good Quinnen Williams is and will be? No. 

Quinnen Williams is going to be compared to Aaron Donald this upcoming year in a-lot of conversations as the best DT in the game. As long as he's healthy he's going to put up a 10 sack season, make his first Pro Bowl and All Pro Team. Bold Statements? Not really and we'll break down why. 

For all you "Trade him to the Texans" fans. This post is for you. 

Lets start with the kid we drafted. The one PFF had neck and neck with Nick Bosa. 

In the Kollman video you might notice a phrase he uses around the 8:45m mark thats pretty interesting? Anyone catch it? Yes Quinnen is going to be the centerpiece of this defense. 

As far as his rookie season Quinnen apparently was playing on one leg most of the year per Greg Williams. Plus many rookies just don't produce right away. Even Warren Sapp only had 3 sacks his rookie year. Jet Fans immediately called him a Bust. Then he went on a diet, hit the weights and....

Here are some highlights of this year. 

1404915257_ScreenShot2021-01-31at4_34_38PM.thumb.png.006809478634dc107dd7a6639870fc03.png1061534738_ScreenShot2021-01-31at4_34_50PM.thumb.png.137d73e54639e125a2fc2ea738494107.png

I want you to focus on that last tweet. 

Overall this year Quinnen was number 1 win rate against the run. Overall he had the 4th highest win rate against the pass. Before I move on you notice he's like the only guy on Both list? He's the total package.

Whats important to note is these are averages. The light turned on mid season or so and when it did he had the number 1 pressure rate in the NFL after week 7. 

In 5 out of 6 games Quinnen Williams had 5-6 Pressures. Over a 16 game season that pace is 80-96 Pressures. Thats Aaron Donald territory and what happens if he gets better?

So my question is what happens when he plays in a 4-3 ? When Saleh makes him the centerpiece of this defense. When he simply plays like he did last year after week 7 for the whole year?

Your looking at an All Pro. You're looking at comparisons to Aaron Donald. Perhaps a more complete Aaron Donald as Quinnen is already better than him against the run. You're looking at the centerpiece to this defense and he just turned 23. 

You do not trade this guy to the Texans no matter what. We have more Draft ammo than anyone in the league - Get the deal done that way. Because theres one question after you get Deshaun Watson. That is: How do you beat Mahomes? I promise you some part of that answer is a superstar DT that can get interior pressure and stop the run without blitzing which is Quinnen. 

The funny part of this whole thing is years of reading this board and JI and seeing so many fans in love with Dewayne Robertson, Sheldon, and Leonard Williams. Ready to give them Goat Status. Quinnen is going to be the player you all wished those guys would become and people are like "Trade him to the Texans". 

Lastly Lets talk Breakout age. Quinnen's BD is December 21st which is just nuts. He played the vast majority of this year at 22 years old. 

Quinnen put up these numbers at 22: 7 Sacks. 55 Tackles and 14 QB Hits and 10 TFL in 13 Games. Aaron

Donald was still in College at 22.

Warren Sapp was still in College at 22. 

But for arguments sake let's say this was his age 23 season. 

Quinnen put up: 7 Sacks. 2 FF, 55 Tackles. 14 QB hits in 13 games. 

at 23 Donald put up: 9 Sacks. 2 FF, 48 tackles and 13 QB hits in 16 games. 

at 23 Warren Sapp put up: 3 Sacks, 1 FF, and 27 tackles. 

Quinnen is the Prince that was promised. At this time next year we're going to be talking about extending him for 100m. We can not trade this man. 

I wouldn’t necessarily go that bullish (maybe), but  agree on this. Whether he is Aaron Donald or Snacks Harrison, keep him. You don’t get better sending your best most affordable talent away in search of the next best thing. Look at Leonard Williams. Looks right now like John Abraham. What’s the point of drafting at all of your going to do that. Just assemble a team of free agents every couple of years like Tannenbaum did (sarcasm)

TLDR you have to retain team friendly talent and work harder at getting better deals and drafting betteR 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I love Watson, wanted the Jets to draft him when people would tell me that he sucked.  Thing is at some point when the demands turn to our picks and QW, I think the team is better off going a different way.

Thats all

Totally respect your viewpoint, JN.  I just don't see "a different way".   And over what, an extra player or pick?

Unlike the college guys, Watson steps in and performs on day one. Ah, but I bet all this Watson talk isn't going to amount to anything anyway.  I'll believe it when I see him signing the contract.  And even then I figure something would go wrong.

10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Totally respect your viewpoint, JN.  I just don't see "a different way".   And over what, an extra player or pick?

Unlike the college guys, Watson steps in and performs on day one. Ah, but I bet all this Watson talk isn't going to amount to anything anyway.  I'll believe it when I see him signing the contract.  And even then I figure something would go wrong.

Same here.  And beyond the opening line, I agree with the idea that Watson would just strep in throwing TD passes.  But at what cost?   I dont want to do it to the detriment of the team.  I'm not trading QW with the 2nd overall.  Those demands have to become sensible, not what's being tossed around as if picks and players have no value

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I wouldn’t necessarily go that bullish (maybe), but  agree on this. Whether he is Aaron Donald or Snacks Harrison, keep him. You don’t get better sending your best most affordable talent away in search of the next best thing. Look at Leonard Williams. Looks right now like John Abraham. What’s the point of drafting at all of your going to do that. Just assemble a team of free agents every couple of years like Tannenbaum did (sarcasm)

TLDR you have to retain team friendly talent and work harder at getting better deals and drafting betteR 

Many on the board thought he was a JAG and wanted him gone.. If some posters lived in Spain in the 15th century they would have been proud members of the Inquisition.:eek:

Do you guys know that you can just go get the actual Gerald McCoy and Fletcher Cox right now? They’re both available, one as a free agent and the other as a salary dump. You can wait a few weeks and get JJ Watt. Or, more good news, you can get the actual Aaron Donald next year when the Rams can cut him. 

16 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Q will turn out to be a huge Pro Bowl D lineman for the Jets. He'll prove those mOrons who called him a bust totally wrong. 

Couldn't help but notice that we had 3 of the top 4 in run stop rate. 

I think you’re right.  And hopefully the mOrons who called Mims, Davis, Perrine and Zuniga will be just as wrong.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Q. Will was firmly planted on my "dont draft" list.  lol.   Thought he'd be a run stuffer at the next level which isnt worth the #3 overall pick.  I was wrong.  He's a violent disrupter who can penetrate and I love penetration.  He's really the only player I like on the Jets too because his personality is awesome.  Some of the interviews after he was drafted, so good, so loveable. 

That said, I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Watson.

lol

Ok !? 

• Haha 1

Quinnen Williams is well on his way of being a great player in the league.  As he develops, he will garner more attention, which frees up the other players.  The thing that stands out about Aaron Danold is that he faces double teams 70% of the time and still manages that 24% pressure.  It would be outstanding if Williams were to have a Calais Campbell or Fletcher Cox type of career.

8 hours ago, football guy said:

Amazes me how people are so willing to part with Q. After 10 years of drafting IDL types hoping they would be "special", the Jets finally find the one and segments of the fanbase were ready to move him last offseason and now this one.

There's not anyone you can compare him to because he's kind of the first of his kind... an elite game changing run defender and pass rusher... there were glimpses of Gerald McCoy, Joe Klecko, and Joe Greene when he was coming out, but even then you couldn't pinpoint a true comp. He's not like Aaron Donald the pass rusher, but he's in that stratosphere of player who impacts the game on an unworldly level; he very realistically can be equal the game-wrecker that Donald has become. 

you cant not let Watson go to another team cause you dont want to part with QW, 2 1st and 2 2nd rd picks.

2/3 of picks are busts. 

and QW only had 7 sacks last year in his 2nd year. 33 people had 7 or more. the OP put up that chart which had QW as 4th in wining vs the pass. well if thats so why did he only get 4 sacks? 

your looking at QW with the glass half fill. but what if 7 sacks a year is all he is. he COULD BE GREAT, GOOD, or just like he is now. a nice player.

if we get the QB thing wrong, whether its Sam or drafting one, we could be looking for another QB in 3 years, QW will be done with his rookie contract by then. do we pay him big money when we are in ANOTHER rebuild? he probably wont sign here if were doing that.

so you dont want to trade 4 picks who COULD BE great , most likely 1 or 2 will be busts. and QW, who COULD BE great or not. might not even be on the team in 3 years if were not good. over Watson who IS GREAT RIGHT NOW! and will be here 10 plus years.

plus we have to play defense. not talking about on the field, but we cant let Miami get him. we cant face him and ALLEN twice a year for 10 plus years. we will never win this divison much less make the playoffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, doitny said:

you cant not let Watson go to another team cause you dont want to part with QW, 2 1st and 2 2nd rd picks.

2/3 of picks are busts. 

and QW only had 7 sacks last year in his 2nd year. 33 people had 7 or more. the OP put up that chart which had QW as 4th in wining vs the pass. well if thats so why did he only get 4 sacks? 

your looking at QW with the glass half fill. but what if 7 sacks a year is all he is. he COULD BE GREAT, GOOD, or just like he is now. a nice player.

if we get the QB thing wrong, whether its Sam or drafting one, we could be looking for another QB in 3 years, QW will be done with his rookie contract by then. do we pay him big money when we are in ANOTHER rebuild? he probably wont sign here if were doing that.

so you dont want to trade 4 picks who COULD BE great , most likely 1 or 2 will be busts. and QW, who COULD BE great or not. might not even be on the team in 3 years if were not good. over Watson who IS GREAT RIGHT NOW! and will be here 10 plus years.

plus we have to play defense. not talking about on the field, but we cant let Miami get him. we cant face him and ALLEN twice a year for 10 plus years. we will never win this divison much less make the playoffs.

No doubt Watson would look great going 4-12 on the Jets rather then the Texans..

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, football guy said:

Lol. Because we been waiting way longer then 10 years for a legit QB. 

But sure we can take these small victories in finally finding a good IDL. 

• Haha 1