Jets called Lions about Stafford. Mentioned in Albert Breer article.

Jetsbb

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/01/mmqb-super-bowl-week-matthew-stafford-trade-negotiations-los-angeles-rams

Real detailed write up by Albert Breer on the entire negotiations with every trade offer and timeline. Panthers offered 8th overall pick, Washington first and a third. There was this Jets nugget in the column.

"And finally, late Friday, the Jets checked in. The Lions circled back with New York on Saturday, but talks didn’t go very far."

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

Wait Detriot was offerend the Panthers 8th overall pick and they took the Rams offer? That cant be true.

It does seem odd but if you take a 'long game' perspective, if Goff works better in DET than in L.A. then it's a very good deal for DET.  Still, I think I would have taken the 8-spot.

6 minutes ago, undertow said:

Wait Detriot was offerend the Panthers 8th overall pick and they took the Rams offer? That cant be true.  Who's running Detroit dudes on this message board? lol

The first sentence of yours - I said exactly the same thing upon reading it. 

No way its true. 

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It does seem odd but if you take a 'long game' perspective, if Goff works better in DET than in L.A. then it's a very good deal for DET.  Still, I think I would have taken the 8-spot.

it can't be true. They would have drafted 7 and 8? and Panthers offered a later pick too.

Washington offered 2 high picks too. Things are going to get wild. 

3 minutes ago, JH Jet Fan said:

I can believe it as Holmes was in Rams FO when they traded up to draft Goff.  And I think once they had an idea of what they could get for a Stafford, they tried to do the right thing by him and deal him where he wanted to be.

Well yeah the only way the trade makes any sense now is if Detroit feels Goff is a guy to build around....otherwise it makes zero sense to pass on the Panthers offer.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, undertow said:

Wait Detriot was offerend the Panthers 8th overall pick and they took the Rams offer? That cant be true.  Who's running Detroit dudes on this message board? lol

thats because the Panther only offer one #1 and a late pick. the Rams had 2 and a 3rd and Goff.

they want picks, not some draft chart vaule BS. whoever gives the most 1s wins. doesnt matter if its 2nd , 8th or 12th pick.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, undertow said:

Well yeah the only way the trade makes any sense now is if Detroit feels Goff is a guy to build around....otherwise it makes zero sense to pass on the Panthers offer.

not that Detroit knows anything about the draft but, maybe they dont like any of the QBs this year. maybe thats the real reason you hear that maybe we keep Sam another year. not that Saleh likes him, they just dont like whats coming out this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Yea sounds like bull. Definitely a cat tale.

Or, they like Goff more than people on a jets message board do.  The lions gm was the director of college scouting when the rams took goff.  Believe it or not but the lions wanted goff.  They see him as an asset.  

• Upvote 1

Apparently, the Lions like Goff and see him as a legit starter for them for at least a couple of years. There's no accounting for taste.

Interesting that the Jets checked in with the Lions.  Looks like it was a due diligence situation, but Stafford would certainly have been an upgrade at QB for us.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Or, they like Goff more than people on a jets message board do.  The lions gm was the director of college scouting when the rams took goff.  Believe it or not but the lions wanted goff.  They see him as an asset.  

Didnt Macc try to swing a deal for Goff as well? Odd how he has fallen off the edge.

What’s truly amazing is how many chances QBs and CBs get in this league. Goff blows but apparently he’s still viewed “highly” around the league ?

Reminds me of Jeff George how these teams get enamored with physical tools and most fans can see the writing on the wall that the player blows 

7 hours ago, undertow said:

the main thing was the Goff salary dump. Maybe Carolina was unwilling to take on Goff.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

What’s truly amazing is how many chances QBs and CBs get in this league. Goff blows but apparently he’s still viewed “highly” around the league ?

Reminds me of Jeff George how these teams get enamored with physical tools and most fans can see the writing on the wall that the player blows 

I think the opposite is more often true. 

Fans clinging to a players name and that he may turn it around (Chiefs fans and Lev Bell), be the missing piece etc. Or fans seeing a player flash for 5 minutes and swearing he is the next Jerry Rice (David Clowney)

I can understand teams being enamored with physical tools, because a professional athlete good enough to make it to the pros doesnt grow off trees. 

In Goffs case he actually had a track record of success, he had superb seasons in 2017 and 2018. It stands to reason that he could possibly find that again. 

Goff does not "suck" as some would have everyone believe. His play just went down the last two years. I think theres a bit of a difference.

• Upvote 1