Jump to content

Jets called Lions about Stafford. Mentioned in Albert Breer article.


Jetsbb

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If this was tanny and rex they would immediately give darnold a fat long term extension because they might have hurt his feelings.

Then give him another one after they call Houston about Watson. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

What’s truly amazing is how many chances QBs and CBs get in this league. Goff blows but apparently he’s still viewed “highly” around the league ?

Reminds me of Jeff George how these teams get enamored with physical tools and most fans can see the writing on the wall that the player blows 

I dont think hes viewed highly "around the league" I think the Detroit brass somehow likes him at $40+ million which I just dont see.

l also dont know why a team would prefer 2022 and 2023 picks in the 20s over a 2021 8th overall, but what do I know.  Just doesnt like the best way to go about a rebuild.  Picking 7 and 8 really could have given the Lions a lot of flexibility and the chance to add 2 elite players to their team.

  • Sympathy 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Didnt Macc try to swing a deal for Goff as well? Odd how he has fallen off the edge.

Macc keeps coming up as the worst GM in history regarding the QB position.    Tries to sign Cousins, tries to trade way up for Goff, drafts Hackenberg, passes on Watson, passes on Mahomes, trades three #2s to trade up in a draft & picks the wrong guy in Darnold. You'd think he did something like this in 10 years! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I think the opposite is more often true. 

Fans clinging to a players name and that he may turn it around (Chiefs fans and Lev Bell), be the missing piece etc. Or fans seeing a player flash for 5 minutes and swearing he is the next Jerry Rice (David Clowney)

I can understand teams being enamored with physical tools, because a professional athlete good enough to make it to the pros doesnt grow off trees. 

In Goffs case he actually had a track record of success, he had superb seasons in 2017 and 2018. It stands to reason that he could possibly find that again. 

Goff does not "suck" as some would have everyone believe. His play just went down the last two years. I think theres a bit of a difference.

Agreed, the guy is a two time pro bowler and went to a superbowl. I do not know where his reputation as "sucking" happened 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, JH Jet Fan said:

I don't we had any interest in Stafford.  Joe D was probably calling Lions for recon mission to get an idea of what teams he may be competing against for Watson and what their bids were for Stafford and what they may be for Watson.

Honestly, I don't  think Douglas gives a crap about Watson.  The deal woukd have been made by now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, I don't  think Douglas gives a crap about Watson.  The deal woukd have been made by now.

Patience.  Texans in a tough spot.  They may still be in denial mode.  There's plenty of time before league years starts on 3/17.  Once they commit to dealing him, they absolutely gotta maximize their return.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, JH Jet Fan said:

Patience.  Texans in a tough spot.  They may still be in denial mode.  There's plenty of time before league years starts on 3/17.  Once they commit to dealing him, they absolutely gotta maximize their return.  

Nope, what happens when you  show patience for an asset like Watson is you open the door to other teams and the price gets driven up. JD is not looking at Watson as a deal that he needs to make.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JH Jet Fan said:

I don't think we had any interest in Stafford.  Joe D was probably calling Lions for recon mission to get an idea of what teams he may be competing against for Watson and what their bids were for Stafford and what they may be for Watson.

Bingo.

Why would we take on an aging QB in the middle of a major rebuild?  Makes absolutely no sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Didnt Macc try to swing a deal for Goff as well? Odd how he has fallen off the edge.

That would have been a far better move than what he did instead:

  • stay at #20 to draft D.Lee
  • use 2nd round pick #51 to draft Hackenberg
  • hold onto, and then extend M.Wilkerson at $17MM/year (effectively $18.5MM/year x 2 yrs) -- he was to be part of the trade up to #1
  • re-sign Fitzpatrick right after that extension at $12MM
  • which then led to signing McCown for $8MM in 2017 and then another $10MM in 2018
  • which then led to using the #6 pick plus three more 2nd round picks for Darnold

Since passing on that trade-up, the Jets had win totals of: 5, 5, 4, 7*, 2. The * is because we were gifted that 7th win, playing against the Bills' backups & usually-inactive backups to the backups.

Meanwhile the supposedly dumber-by-comparison Rams haven't had a losing record since Goff's rookie season ended, and even went to a SB. If Darnold (or Smith or Sanchez or Pennington) had Goff's divisional-round game, the usual suspects would be blaming the coach and the defense while they absolved The Precious

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

They said no to the 8th pick! Could be because they wanted to send Stanford to a well established team.

But this shows Carolina is going to be aggressive this year to upgrade their QB.

The Jets call seems like Joe Douglas was doing his due diligence.  

So I guess the gentleman's agreement between Carolina and the Jets (per @football guy) is not as solid as thought if they tried to obtain Stafford. Watch your back JD.... there are no guarantees in the NFL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So I guess the gentleman's agreement between Carolina and the Jets (per @football guy) is not as solid as thought if they tried to obtain Stafford. Watch your back JD.... there are no guarantees in the NFL

When I say a gentlemen's agreement I don't mean that it's already agreed upon, rather, they have an understanding... I don't think that understanding stops the Panthers from evaluating other options, just as the Jets will do their due diligence as well, but they agree at the very least what the price should be for #2 if the teams choose to act on it

Ultimately, I see them agreeing to a trade before the draft

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, doitny said:

thats because the Panther only offer one #1 and a late pick. the Rams had 2 and a 3rd and Goff.

they want picks, not some draft chart vaule BS. whoever gives the most 1s wins. doesnt matter if its 2nd , 8th or 12th pick.

I don't know why people are having such a hard time understanding the value of picks and what they are worth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, doitny said:

thats because the Panther only offer one #1 and a late pick. the Rams had 2 and a 3rd and Goff.

they want picks, not some draft chart vaule BS. whoever gives the most 1s wins. doesnt matter if its 2nd , 8th or 12th pick.

This comment is the equivalent to saying I would rather have two single then a five dollar bill because it's more bills.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, undertow said:

This comment is the equivalent to saying I would rather have two single then a five dollar bill because it's more bills.

no cause more picks equal more players.

that why teams trade down, they trade there 5 dollars bills for 2 or 3 one dollars cause there rebuilding and need the players

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, doitny said:

thats because the Panther only offer one #1 and a late pick. the Rams had 2 and a 3rd and Goff.

they want picks, not some draft chart vaule BS. whoever gives the most 1s wins. doesnt matter if its 2nd , 8th or 12th pick.

It matters a great deal, actually.  Considering that this was a 2021 number 8 overall pick we're talking about as opposed to very late 1sts in 2022 and 2023.  

No GM would ever trade the # 8 pick in this draft for late 1sts in the subsequent 2 drafts, a 2021 3rd, and an expensive Jared Goff.

The Lions are dumb.  

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

What’s truly amazing is how many chances QBs and CBs get in this league. Goff blows but apparently he’s still viewed “highly” around the league ?

Reminds me of Jeff George how these teams get enamored with physical tools and most fans can see the writing on the wall that the player blows 

Remember how many chances Sam Bradford got?

The league is obsessed with bad Rams QB's taken # 1 overall, apparently.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Maybe they’re looking to draft a rookie? Stafford would’ve been the perfect bridge QB.. hmmm ????

Too expensive and too good to be a bridge QB.  Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyrod Taylor (all scheduled free agents this offseason) are bridge QB's.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

the main thing was the Goff salary dump. Maybe Carolina was unwilling to take on Goff.

Huh?  We're talking about Stafford for the # 8 pick from Carolina or Stafford for the Rams package.  Goff would have had nothing to do with Carolina.  The Lions took on the Goff salary for no good reason.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, football guy said:

When I say a gentlemen's agreement I don't mean that it's already agreed upon, rather, they have an understanding... I don't think that understanding stops the Panthers from evaluating other options, just as the Jets will do their due diligence as well, but they agree at the very least what the price should be for #2 if the teams choose to act on it

Ultimately, I see them agreeing to a trade before the draft

are you saying that the jets and carolina have discussed a trade-day swap where the panthers get to 2, and the jets fall back to 8?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

They said no to the 8th pick! Could be because they wanted to send Stanford to a well established team.

But this shows Carolina is going to be aggressive this year to upgrade their QB.

The Jets call seems like Joe Douglas was doing his due diligence.  

Stafford reportedly told Detroit they could trade him to any team EXCEPT New England.  So I don't think this is true.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JH Jet Fan said:

I don't think we had any interest in Stafford.  Joe D was probably calling Lions for recon mission to get an idea of what teams he may be competing against for Watson and what their bids were for Stafford and what they may be for Watson.

That plus an idea for what he might get in a Darnold trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

They said no to the 8th pick! Could be because they wanted to send Stanford to a well established team.

But this shows Carolina is going to be aggressive this year to upgrade their QB.

The Jets call seems like Joe Douglas was doing his due diligence.  

LA was apparently Stafford's preferred destination. They may have taken less draft compensation to do him a solid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...