Jets called Lions about Stafford. Mentioned in Albert Breer article.

Jetsbb

43 minutes ago, football guy said:

When I say a gentlemen's agreement I don't mean that it's already agreed upon, rather, they have an understanding... I don't think that understanding stops the Panthers from evaluating other options, just as the Jets will do their due diligence as well, but they agree at the very least what the price should be for #2 if the teams choose to act on it

Ultimately, I see them agreeing to a trade before the draft

So this is like if a friend zoned dude and his female friend had a "if neither of us are married by 30...." kind of agreement?

(Tagging @CTM, @Spoot-Face, @The Crusher, @Integrity28, @GATA and @JiF proactively on this softball.  The jokes are coming regardless)

16 minutes ago, doitny said:

no cause more picks equal more players.

that why teams trade down, they trade there 5 dollars bills for 2 or 3 one dollars cause there rebuilding and need the players

No, it doesn't.  As you say, teams trade down.  The Lions could have taken that # 8 pick from Carolina and traded down for a lot better picks than what they got from the Rams if they wanted "more players".  And they wouldn't have had to wait until 2022 and 2023 to draft them.  

Draft capital matters, not just the number of picks you get that are 1st rounders.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Huh?  We're talking about Stafford for the # 8 pick from Carolina or Stafford for the Rams package.  Goff would have had nothing to do with Carolina.  The Lions took on the Goff salary for no good reason.  

Slow down 80! Back-to-back-to back-to back posts....... you're on a mission today!! You must be snowed in.

Freezing Bill Murray GIF

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

are you saying that the jets and carolina have discussed a trade-day swap where the panthers get to 2, and the jets fall back to 8?

I'm saying that the teams have an understanding what it would take to go from 8 to 2, and Carolina sounds like they're OK with what the ask is (1st, 2nd, plus future 1st, 2nd and maybe a few pick swaps). They'll go after veterans (now that Stafford is off the market, all that's left who may interest them is Deshaun and Wentz, who probably won't be traded), but once it becomes clear that there is no veteran option I think they'll execute the trade before someone else does, but it would be foolish of them to do so without finalizing their reviews of the prospects.

I'm convinced that they already know this trade is inevitable, but I haven't been told that explicitly... I've explicitly been told that they both seem to be OK with the framework if a deal were to happen. I don't expect a trade until end of March/beginning of April, but would expect it to happen before draft-day. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So this is like if a friend zoned dude and his female friend had a "if neither of us are married by 30...." kind of agreement?

(Tagging @CTM, @Spoot-Face, @The Crusher, @Integrity28, @GATA and @JiF proactively on this softball.  The jokes are coming regardless)

Lol I would say this is a pretty perfect analogy. Douglas has a relationship with Fitterer and they understand each other's positions and realize the organic nature of these talks, which made the initial talks smooth.

I think both teams will do their due diligence - especially the Panthers - but once it becomes clear that no veteran options are available (Deshaun being really the last one out there), the Panthers will return and look to strike a deal before someone else does. The Jets can afford to be patient, but Carolina can't. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm saying that the teams have an understanding what it would take to go from 8 to 2, and Carolina sounds like they're OK with what the ask is (1st, 2nd, plus future 1st, 2nd and maybe a few pick swaps). They'll go after veterans (now that Stafford is off the market, all that's left who may interest them is Deshaun and Wentz, who probably won't be traded), but once it becomes clear that there is no veteran option I think they'll execute the trade before someone else does, but it would be foolish of them to do so without finalizing their reviews of the prospects.

I'm convinced that they already know this trade is inevitable, but I haven't been told that explicitly... I've explicitly been told that they both seem to be OK with the framework if a deal were to happen. I don't expect a trade until end of March/beginning of April, but would expect it to happen before draft-day. 

so let's say the jets trade back to 8 and keep darnold for at least 1 more year.  let's also say that in the first 7 picks, 3 qbs are taken, along with devonta smith, chase and sewell.  if the draft unfolds like this, and one other player is taken before the jets pick at 8, what do you think the jets do at 8?  sure they could always draft defense, but with the worst offense in the nfl, and no change at qb, who are the jets taking to infuse talent into their offense, which playmakers?

31 minutes ago, football guy said:

Ehhhhhh seems kinda skimpy for trading up to #2 for a QB. Future 1 and 2 two's? I want MORE. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so let's say the jets trade back to 8 and keep darnold for at least 1 more year.  let's also say that in the first 7 picks, 3 qbs are taken, along with devonta smith, chase and sewell.  if the draft unfolds like this, and one other player is taken before the jets pick at 8, what do you think the jets do at 8?  sure they could always draft defense, but with the worst offense in the nfl, and no change at qb, who are the jets taking to infuse talent into their offense, which playmakers?

If things unfold this way I'd say there's a big chance of Patrick Surtain or Kyle Pitts at #8

39 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Ehhhhhh seems kinda skimpy for trading up to #2 for a QB. Future 1 and 2 two's? I want MORE. 

I agree.  If you subscribe to the “future pick = 1 round lower” philosophy, moving down from #2 to #8 would get us 2 second rounders and a third.  That’s less than what we gave up for Sam, and that was a smaller jump.  By the draft value chart, we gave up more for a 600 point jump than Carolina would be giving up for a 1200 point jump - and there is much greater certainty of what will be available for our #2 than there was for the Colts’ #3.

4 hours ago, football guy said:

When I say a gentlemen's agreement I don't mean that it's already agreed upon, rather, they have an understanding... I don't think that understanding stops the Panthers from evaluating other options, just as the Jets will do their due diligence as well, but they agree at the very least what the price should be for #2 if the teams choose to act on it

Ultimately, I see them agreeing to a trade before the draft

Can you link me the post where you discuss this please?  I missed it!

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That would have been a far better move than what he did instead:

• stay at #20 to draft D.Lee
  • use 2nd round pick #51 to draft Hackenberg
  • hold onto, and then extend M.Wilkerson at $17MM/year (effectively $18.5MM/year x 2 yrs) -- he was to be part of the trade up to #1
  • re-sign Fitzpatrick right after that extension at $12MM
  • which then led to signing McCown for $8MM in 2017 and then another $10MM in 2018
  • which then led to using the #6 pick plus three more 2nd round picks for Darnold

Since passing on that trade-up, the Jets had win totals of: 5, 5, 4, 7*, 2. The * is because we were gifted that 7th win, playing against the Bills' backups & usually-inactive backups to the backups.

Meanwhile the supposedly dumber-by-comparison Rams haven't had a losing record since Goff's rookie season ended, and even went to a SB. If Darnold (or Smith or Sanchez or Pennington) had Goff's divisional-round game, the usual suspects would be blaming the coach and the defense while they absolved The Precious

You missed your calling - Horror movie critic.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Macc keeps coming up as the worst GM in history regarding the QB position.    Tries to sign Cousins, tries to trade way up for Goff, drafts Hackenberg, passes on Watson, passes on Mahomes, trades three #2s to trade up in a draft & picks the wrong guy in Darnold. You'd think he did something like this in 10 years! 

Add allowing Geno to start the season when he became GM and you have the worse Jets GM in history.  And he actually was voted Exec of the year in his first year. OMG

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, oatmeal said:

What’s truly amazing is how many chances QBs and CBs get in this league. Goff blows but apparently he’s still viewed “highly” around the league ?

Reminds me of Jeff George how these teams get enamored with physical tools and most fans can see the writing on the wall that the player blows 

I’m not a Goff guy but he has actually won playoff games and gotten to a super bowl while Matt Stafford has won donut