Multiple teams have contacted NYJ about Sam Darnold

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I think a lot of people on here totally underestimate how this team and the previous coaching staff was viewed around the league.

Just watch the Adam Gase offense vs any other offense in the NFL or even the good college teams.

Just watch the talent level of the Jets vs other nfl teams.

Just watch the amount of time QBs have to throw the ball vs how long jets QBs had to throw the ball.

There are a lot of QB needy teams and teams are simply doing due diligence and gauging cost.

Teams that miss out of the big fish may circle back, teams that face too high of a cost to trade up will circle back.

If Sam is traded he has 1 year left so a team could see what he does in year 4 and go from there if he stays or not?? 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He signed this contract in September 2020. He's shooting his way out of Houston in January 21.

That's a pretty fast turnaround for a 30 million dollar dude to get unhappy 

The owners do not care about public relations. Woody wasn't even in the country for a while. They don't even care about winning. All they want is slow and steady paychecks from the TV deal 

At no point does trading for Watson make the Johnsons more money 

did Chris Johnson steal your GF?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh, yeah, for sure....0% chance he goes for a 1st.  see my post above.

It may have been just to see what it costs...who knows, but I just cant see any team wanting to start Sam Darnold.  Maybe take a flier as a back up but start?  Only the Jets are dumb enough to do that all over again.

Agreed fully.  Darnold is being brought in by one of these teams to be a project who competes for the QB1 job but is by no means guaranteed the job in 2021.  Hence why a 3rd round pick, maybe a late 2nd, is my estimated going price. 

Trading a pick like that doesn't lock Darnold in to anything but being given a shot in a new location.

2 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

It's fun to watch JD work.  Head coach, leadership behind Sam.  Now other teams starting to "inquire".  My view is JD is leveraging all the avenues he can to strengthen his bargaining position.  No emotion.  Methodical.  

What a departure from the amateur hour leadership we've had in previous years.  

All conjecture bc none of us know what's really happening but from afar I really like what I see in this guy.

I know what’s really happening. He’s throwing darts at football cards. That’s how he makes his picks. You didn’t know that! Wow man Wow!

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure but again, where?  I legit cant think of one team where he'd be an upgrade and if by chance he does fit this system,  you're going to have pay him very soon anyway.  Strange to me....like even the teams who are QB needy, I'd rather have their back ups.  lol   Colts - Brissett.  Saints - Winston.  I guess San Fran but when Jimmy G. is healthy, they're winning % is ridiculous...maybe as a backup?

idk - cant imagine anyone trading to start him and I cant imagine getting anything more then a 3rd/4th round pick.

I can see him going to a team to back up a veteran approaching retirement, where you can give him a season to sit behind a Roethisberge in Pitt, or Brees in NO (if he returns), or maybe even to Atlanta with Ryan being 35 years old.  Let him sit behind an established vet, work with the coaching staff to unlearn some of the bad habits, and maybe in a year or two he can get another shot as a starter.  But I agree, I don't see any spot where he is likely to be a starter next year.

But throw a day 2/early day 3 pick at the Jets, get him in your building for $5MM for the 2021 season, and maybe you have a QB you can groom behind an older vet.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Multiple teams inquiring about Darnold because he's 23, cheap and has potential. Most importantly he shuts his mouth and plays 

Watson is 25, expensive and has demands about how the team should be run. He's on the verge of a holdout and shooting his way out of town. 

Yes Watson is the guy who is better at football. He's also a high maintenance guy. 

The Jets get paid the same for wins and losses. They don't need to be hassled by qb1 making the most money in team history 

Fans see darnold as a problem but he's actually super low maintenance. Watson is someone else's problem, at least from the owner perspective. The last thing woody Johnson wants to do is talk to an employee about how he should run his business. Woody would rather lose for a decade straight than do that. And in fact he has done exactly that 

Interesting assessment. And I tend to agree.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It's the NFL "label" thing. Sam Darnold was number 1 on many if not most teams QB boards. He was drafted at #3 but was expected to go #1

He has the "high first round draft pick" label as well as the "potential FQB label"

Teams very much value their initial evaluations of players, so many teams will just think that Sam is a victim of horrible coaching but under "our better" coaching he will see his potential. I would not be shocked to see a first for Sam if there is a few teams involved.

Remember Sam Bradford?

He had the #1 pick in the draft label and was able to get several really big contracts despite being made of glass and really just being a complete JAG

And yet even Bradford was way better than Darnold.  Just look at Bradford's 7 healthy games in 2013 and full season with Minnesota in 2016:

• 2013 (7 games):  60.7 % completions, 14 TDs, 4 INTs
  • 2016:  71.6 % completions, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 7.0 Yards/Attempt

If Darnold put up anything resembling those numbers, there would be people here demanding Douglas hands him top 10 QB money.  

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet even Bradford was way better than Darnold.  Just look at Bradford's 7 healthy games in 2013 and full season with Minnesota in 2016:

• 2013 (7 games):  60.7 % completions, 14 TDs, 4 INTs
  • 2016:  71.6 % completions, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 7.0 Yards/Attempt

If Darnold put up anything resembling those numbers, there would be people here demanding Douglas hands him top 10 QB money.  

True but Bradford actually wasnt on teams with bad coaching. And he did have that one really good year with Minnesota. Amazing thing about Bradford is that he is still only 33 Wasn't directly comparing them but the label thing can cause them to be overvalued.

Maybe the Jets should hold onto a 23 year old quarterback that multiple teams are interested in acquiring?  I know, crazy concept.

Darnold admittedly played horribly last season.  Naturally, Jets fans want to trade him when his value is lowest.

Let's see how he does under new leadership in a new system even if it's just as a backup.  If the Jets draft a rookie quarterback this season, they can ease him in instead of throwing him into the fire from day 1.

If the Jets can get a high pick for him, go ahead and pull the trigger.  If you are getting a mid round pick, they might as well just keep him and see what he can do under LaFleur.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

C'mon, man! ;) Watson is not a high maintenance guy. The Texans management deserves what they've gotten themselves into. This is just the last straw. Deshaun is a person any community would want to have. I didn't think Jamal was right, but this situation is very different and ex great Houston players can attest to that. Texans ownership is getting what they truly deserve. 

lol

Watson = problem personality / psycho / egomaniac / jerk

Adams = not a problem personality / not a psycho / not an egomaniac / not a jerk

Hey, I have this bridge for sale...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

True but Bradford actually wasnt on teams with bad coaching. And he did have that one really good year with Minnesota. Amazing thing about Bradford is that he is still only 33 Wasn't directly comparing them but the label thing can cause them to be overvalued.

At this point anytime somebody uses the word 'coaching' I do a mental find+replace it with SORCERY.

Multiple Teams (could be 2 teams) called to see if Genold is available.  When the answer is yes for a first or second rounder they hang up immediately.

No one is trading a high draft pick for a QB who is a project and is a free agent next year.  

• Upvote 1

Best situation would be to ship him to Washington so he won’t get any better. I like Sam but I don’t think I can handle him being a world beater on the Steelers or 49 ers.

Who am I kidding, he sucks and it’s over wether he stays here for another year or gets traded. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wit said:

Best situation would be to ship him to Washington so he won’t get any better. I like Sam but I don’t think I can handle him being a world beater on the Steelers or 49 ers.

Who am I kidding, he sucks and it’s over wether he stays here for another year or gets traded. 

He sucks and it's over and he's staying a lot longer than another year.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Multiple Teams (could be 2 teams) called to see if Genold is available.  When the answer is yes for a first or second rounder they hang up immediately.

No one is trading a high draft pick for a QB who is a project and is a free agent next year.  

He's not a free agent, and they would control Sam for 4 years. I think people will be surprised what we get for him

Gase has gifted us a possible FIRST rounder with Tannehils resurgence in a normal system. Darnold isn’t as bad as he has been the last two years, but he isn’t that great either. Time to cut him loose and fleece some poor unsuspecting team. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Maybe the Jets should hold onto a 23 year old quarterback that multiple teams are interested in acquiring?  I know, crazy concept.

Darnold admittedly played horribly last season.  Naturally, Jets fans want to trade him when his value is lowest.

Let's see how he does under new leadership in a new system even if it's just as a backup.  If the Jets draft a rookie quarterback this season, they can ease him in instead of throwing him into the fire from day 1.

If the Jets can get a high pick for him, go ahead and pull the trigger.  If you are getting a mid round pick, they might as well just keep him and see what he can do under LaFleur.

I want him gone, but they are never going to trade him for less than a 2. Bank on it. They can get a 3 comp pick by just letting walk after next yr, and his cap hit next yr is not high... That said, he will be traded by mid march..

Snoop Dogg Gravy GIF

I don't care how this situation ends up.... I'm good with keeping him I'm good with moving one. Hes been stuck in a $***show from day one but he has most definitely contributed to it being a $***show.

I'll be alright with it if new management wants to give him another shot. 

I'll be alright with drafting a QB at 2

I'll be alright with going after Watson as long as the cost is not ridiculously prohibitive and as long as it takes our leverage into account.

Glad to be out of the last decade of Jets football either way.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Huh?  The 2013 Rams were coached by Jeff Fisher.  They were horrible.  Remember how bad Goff was his rookie year under Fisher?  Fisher demonstrated he was a dinosaur in this league in his years with the Rams.

I can't find a comp for this kind of trade.  Most QB's that are traded with one year of contract remaining are backups and the compensation is very low.  

Bridgewater got us a 3rd and we gave them a 6th back.  I'd do that. He was signed for $1M for 1 year.

Anyone have a better comp?  Rosen had 4 years of control left when Miami was fleeced.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Glad you are not the GM, never let emotion get in the way of business.

Jamal Adams would have garnered a 3rd rounder by many.

I just said "fortunately his market value will be higher".  Saying how low I'd be willing to go does not mean I wouldn't shoot for maximum value.

Obviously, I'm not a GM in the league.  We're all just fans on a message board, posting our opinions.  My opinion is Darnold sucks, and I'll take whatever pick I can get for him.  Even if its as low as a 5th rounder.  That's a better option than keeping him another year and then trying to get a 2023 comp pick out of the deal.

I fully expect Douglas to get maximum value, just like he did with Adams.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, prime21 said:

They cant just trade him now because they would have to figure out if he is part of a possible Watson deal.   Also there is the possibility of trading down and no QB s drafted so he may still be part of the plan this year. 

But speaking with other teams does give them the general idea of what they can probably get.   The next 3 months will be the most intriguing nail biting off season we have had in perhaps our entire history.

At first I was like you can't trade Sam now because then you lose the leverage in the Watson scenario.

But if they trade Sam now the leverage they would lose is for the draft. Because they are committed to a QB at 2 if they trade Sam (and don't get Watson).  So it will be interesting.

@KRL said it the day the season ended. Joe Douglas controls this draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I just said "fortunately his market value will be higher".  Saying how low I'd be willing to go does not mean I wouldn't shoot for maximum value.

Obviously, I'm not a GM in the league.  We're all just fans on a message board, posting our opinions.  My opinion is Darnold sucks, and I'll take whatever pick I can get for him.  Even if its as low as a 5th rounder.  That's a better option than keeping him another year and then trying to get a 2023 comp pick out of the deal.

I fully expect Douglas to get maximum value, just like he did with Adams.  

This is how we find out.

<------ puts JetsFan80 on Ignore.  :)

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Nearly half the NFL has at least reached out to gauge the Jets interest in trading him. 

Rams called about a deal sending Goff and picks to the Jets for Darnold, likely as a contingency if they couldn't get Stafford. Jets weren't interested. 

This is really interesting, Goff would certainly have been an upgrade, but the salary is crazy..

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Sure but again, where?  I legit cant think of one team where he'd be an upgrade and if by chance he does fit this system,  you're going to have pay him very soon anyway.  Strange to me....like even the teams who are QB needy, I'd rather have their back ups.  lol   Colts - Brissett.  Saints - Winston.  I guess San Fran but when Jimmy G. is healthy, they're winning % is ridiculous...maybe as a backup?

idk - cant imagine anyone trading to start him and I cant imagine getting anything more then a 3rd/4th round pick.

Darnolds worth is based on a notion that he has been surrounded by incompetency. Would anyone on these boards question that notion? 
We all agreed with the media that the Jets are a talentless team who have drafted horribly the last 10 years. 
The Saints in the Kamara draft, hit on more starters than the Jets had in 10 years! In one draft! 
Check this out: 

1- Marshon Lattimore, 1B- Ryan Ramczyk, 2- Marcus Williams 2B- Alvin Kamara 3- Alex Anzalone 3B- Trey Hendrickson

OMG! Look at that draft! 

We didn’t have all 3 of our WRs with no camp & no preseason together once in the 1st half of the season. Our #1 RB was the 37 year old Frank Gore! 
Sam Darnold will only be 24 this June. These teams looking into Darnolds availability aren’t sitting at #2 in the draft like us, and don’t have a chance of maybe getting a Deshaun Watson like us. 
Baker Mayfield had way better offensive talent & it took him 3 years to get them a playoff berth at a much older age & with way more games under his belt. 
Bottom line is finding guys to play in this league isn’t easy. Finding a 24 year old with 38 NFL games under his belt with a terrible team is probably worth a swing for a 2nd round pick! 

• Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Actually, his value will only drop over time, given that he's a free agent after the season.  

If the Jets are going to trade him, from a value perspective, the earlier the better.