Multiple teams have contacted NYJ about Sam Darnold

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

I do get the notion that fans are sometimes right on certain players, and that "people in the league" don't always make the right decisions. Trust me. Having the fortune to know some of these people, they're not all rocket scientists and there are many "people in the league" who don't even really know football all that well. Sam Bradford was a good example of that, but a lot of his issues derived from injury. I don't think anyone could comprehend that he'd become so fragile. 

That being said, the belief that Sam Darnold can be an elite QB is still pretty unanimous. People see what has happened the past 3 years as an opportunity buy because it is their belief that if Darnold didn't land in such a poor situation he'd be an untouchable player. 

Part of this has to do with people trusting the person. One of the things people lauded Sam for as a prospect was his psyche. He's calm and collected; he'll never let the lows affect him too much just as much as he won't let the highs affect him too much, and has the qualities that QBs - or any profession for that matter - need to be successful. Somewhat funny story: I was with Berrios this summer. He and Sam are close, and we were talking about the team and whatnot and he said that guys in his room didn't even know the names of each other. He's definitely a good guy and don't want to make him seem sound like a douche, but said so in somewhat of a mocking/self-deprecating manner. So I asked him how Sam felt about it and he said Sam refused to look at it as an excuse. Sam has a personality too... he jokes around with teammates and talks some trash here and there... he knows how to have fun and when to joke around, but even in lighthearted moments Berrios said he acknowledges that it's on him... doesn't matter who he's throwing to.

That's the kind of stock people want to buy. They see a guy with a lot of talent and traits who hasn't been coached properly and hasn't had help. They project he could shock people in the right environment because he really does have everything you can ask for in terms of leadership ability, intangibles, smarts, dedication, and skill set... he just needs to be with a staff who will hammer the details mechanically and will teach him how to better process the field. Gase put too much on him and I think "people in the league" believe that scaling those things back will result in a big uptick in production. 

I'm not saying any of this means the "Anti-Darnold" guys will be wrong, or that the "Pro-Darnold" guys will be right. But I think that it says something when 15 teams are interested in a player who has been pretty trash in their first 3 seasons production-wise. Not all these teams/personnel guys are dumb, and when you have that much of a consensus it usually speaks volumes. 

so half the league wants darnold?  

I don’t see getting better than a bottom of the first round pick for Sam but if they got an offer in the 20s it might be hard not to make that deal. I’m not for giving away our draft for Watson or using our overall 2 on a Qb other than Lawrence. I wouldn’t be against making a deal for someone like Tyrod Taylor or a Minshew. And drafting a QB at 23 or maybe trading up in the teens. 

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

The offer I referred to earlier was from Indianapolis and, as of January, I heard the proposal from the Colts was a 2nd and 5th for Sam.  Since then Rivers has retired, Brees is planning on retiring, Watson has decided he wants out, and Stafford has gone to LA.  

IMHO, the Jets are in great position here.  As of today I think it’s a 55/45 chance Sam is back next season, and that tilts to 45/55 in favor of another signal caller being drafted on any given day.  That being said, if they could get a mid to late 1st for Darnold, I think they trade him.  Back in January I didn’t think they could get that much but, obviously, circumstances have changed.

it may come down to how much they like wilson.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it may come down to how much they like wilson.

I agree.  Losing the combine really hurt teams and players alike.  Wilson was a guy that I believe was going to firmly cement himself as QB2 in this draft if he got face-to-face interviews and proper whiteboard work.

I could still see them taking a 2nd for Sam, but I honestly couldn’t tell you if Indianapolis still has that offer on the table as of today.  Trade negotiations are incredibly organic and can fall apart quickly.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I agree.  Losing the combine really hurt teams and players alike.  Wilson was a guy that I believe was going to firmly cement himself as QB2 in this draft if he got face-to-face interviews and proper whiteboard work.

I could still see them taking a 2nd, but I honestly couldn’t tell you if Indianapolis still has that offer on the table as of today.

i think the price for darnold will only go up with all this qb uncertainty.  but i do think the jets will stay at 2 and take wilson, i think his skill sets are perfect for the offense they want to run and they can still get adequate compensation for darnold.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i think the price for darnold will only go up with all this qb uncertainty.  but i do think the jets will stay at 2 and take wilson, i think his skill sets are perfect for the offense they want to run and they can still get adequate compensation for darnold.  

I could see all of that happening.  There still such a long way to go.  Pro-days are going to be more in-depth than ever before because these prospects have to leave everything out there for teams to believe in them. 

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so half the league wants darnold?  

Have checked in to see if he's available/assess value. I doubt that means half the league is going to submit an offer, but the following have at least reached out.

My friend said "12-15 teams" the other day, but I've been tracking our conversations RE: Sam for a long time now and cross referencing. SF, CHI, and WAS reached out at the trade deadline and presumably since. NE and IND sometime either before or after the deadline and presumably since. CAR, DEN, DET, LAR, LV since the season ended. PIT rumored by agents but wasn't told them directly. NO/Sean Payton thinks highly of him but not sure they're going to be in the QB market this offseason... they're prob looking to have a competition between Jameis and Tysom. Not sure who the rest of the teams are. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How do you get there from "this" rumor? This is what was posted:

Teams that have no interest in trading their existing QBs don't call the Lions to inquire about their QB, then field calls about the existing one, then generate a buzz by leaking that multiple teams have already called in so far. 

They tend to leak nothing and tell every team - followed by a formal statement - that Darnold is not for sale & is one of the team's "untouchable" players.

Completely agree. 

If the Jets really called Detroit over Stafford, we can be sure that they aren't sold on Darnold here long term. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I could still see them taking a 2nd for Sam, but I honestly couldn’t tell you if Indianapolis still has that offer on the table as of today.  Trade negotiations are incredibly organic and can fall apart quickly.

I mentioned in another thread today that I just sense that the league as a whole has pretty much settled on who the consensus #2 QB is in this draft, and that if you want him, you are gonna have to get to #2, in front of Miami. I see Miami all in for Watson for that reason. I would be interested if your sources have heard anything like this.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

I mentioned in another thread today that I just sense that the league as a whole has pretty much settled on who the consensus #2 QB is in this draft, and that if you want him, you are gonna have to get to #2, in front of Miami. I see them all in for Watson for that reason. I would be interested if your sources have heard anything like this.

and i also wouldn't be surprised if fields falls a bit and the gap narrows between him and the other qbs.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

I mentioned in another thread today that I just sense that the league as a whole has pretty much settled on who the consensus #2 QB is in this draft, and that if you want him, you are gonna have to get to #2, in front of Miami. I see them all in for Watson for that reason. I would be interested if your sources have heard anything like this.

I don’t know if the rest of the league has a consensus, but I do think that these teams feel there is a drop off when you get to whoever they have as QB3 and QB4 and they’d rather just get their pick of the litter.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, our biases as fans aside, it shouldn’t be shocking to anyone who has followed this team since Sam was drafted that the league looked at Maccagnan/Gase, who this fanbase had pegged as awful from the very start, as utter disasterpieces for a young QB and that a 23 year old Darnold is still plenty salvageable, especially in the right system.  Shoot, our own GM and (new) coaches view him in that light going off of everything I’ve heard.

The offer I mentioned from Indianapolis, if we were to take it, scares me more than any other team not named the 49ers, because I think that is the team that could really help him reach his full potential.  I believe Reich would do wonders with Sam.

Look at Wentz. Right now, he's way more fu*ked up than Sam, and Reich had him at an MVP level.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How do you get there from "this" rumor? This is what was posted:

Teams that have no interest in trading their existing QBs don't call the Lions to inquire about their QB, then field calls about the existing one, then generate a buzz by leaking that multiple teams have already called in so far. 

They tend to leak nothing and tell every team - followed by a formal statement - that Darnold is not for sale & is one of the team's "untouchable" players.

With all due respect to your opinion.  The precedent was set with JA, JD said then he will listen to any and all offers. IMHO that is what they are doing, its call due diligence. Nothing more, nothing less. Drawing conclusions beyond that is just speculation and not based on facts.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

Have checked in to see if he's available/assess value. I doubt that means half the league is going to submit an offer, but the following have at least reached out.

My friend said "12-15 teams" the other day, but I've been tracking our conversations RE: Sam for a long time now and cross referencing. SF, CHI, and WAS reached out at the trade deadline and presumably since. NE and IND sometime either before or after the deadline and presumably since. CAR, DEN, DET, LAR, LV since the season ended. PIT rumored by agents but wasn't told them directly. NO/Sean Payton thinks highly of him but not sure they're going to be in the QB market this offseason... they're prob looking to have a competition between Jameis and Tysom. Not sure who the rest of the teams are. 

Also want to single out that I don't think the Raiders reaching out is a sign that they're moving on from Carr. They - and the Saints - have become the NFL's "quarterback rehab" of sorts, and I think that they realize that they will be forced into trading Marcus Mariota this offseason due to overwhelming demand. Thus, they will likely have interest in knowing what other young QBs are out there that they can bring in as a backup/potential long-term option if they were ever to move off Carr. More likely than a trade, I see them signing Mitchell Trubisky. 

22 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Serious question: I assume they can do Zoom?Teams meetings with prospects so wouldn't they still be able to do all the interview and white board stuff?

3 hours ago, JiF said:

It's unbelievable to me that Sam Darnold is a hot commodity.

Where is he an upgrade? 

I'm going to be on the opposite side of a lot of my favorite posters on this one, but I think coaches, GMs, scouts etc look far more at physical traits than statistical results, even after 3 years in the league.  I think, and have a bit of first hand experience, that coaches think they can eliminate mental issues.  Give them the physical traits they want and they think they can cure the rest.  I used to believe that as well, but am not so sure anymore.

Darnold has been bad.  No discounting that.  Very bad.  I think lots of coaches would look at his circumstances and think he's not as bad as his stats would show and they could unlock his potential.

It's the same reason baseball pitchers who throw gas but can't throw strikes get chance after chance.  

I know some don't think Darnold's physical traits are that exceptional and that is where I disagree more than anything.  

That said, I don't think it's very likely any team is giving up much to annoint Darnold a starter simply because the optics would be bad.  It's one thing for JD to keep him another year and he washes out.  It's another to trade for him only to watch him wash out.  That's a one way ticket to unemployment.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, our biases as fans aside, it shouldn’t be shocking to anyone who has followed this team since Sam was drafted that the league looked at Maccagnan/Gase, who this fanbase had pegged as awful from the very start, as utter disasterpieces for a young QB and that a 23 year old Darnold is still plenty salvageable, especially in the right system.  Shoot, our own GM and (new) coaches view him in that light going off of everything I’ve heard.

The offer I mentioned from Indianapolis, if we were to take it, scares me more than any other team not named the 49ers, because I think that is the team that could really help him reach his full potential and have us feeling regretful.  I believe Reich would do wonders with Sam.

I don't doubt Indianapolis at all. I haven't heard that an offer was submitted so kudos on that scoop. Ballard felt he was by far the best prospect coming out and still thinks highly of him. Otherwise, I have heard that they have the hots for Trey Lance. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm going to be on the opposite side of a lot of my favorite posters on this one, but I think coaches, GMs, scouts etc look far more at physical traits than statistical results, even after 3 years in the league.  I think, and have a bit of first hand experience, that coaches think they can eliminate mental issues.  Give them the physical traits they want and they think they can cure the rest.  I used to believe that as well, but am not so sure anymore.

Darnold has been bad.  No discounting that.  Very bad.  I think lots of coaches would look at his circumstances and think he's not as bad as his stats would show and they could unlock his potential.

It's the same reason baseball pitchers who throw gas but can't throw strikes get chance after chance.  

I know some don't think Darnold's physical traits are that exceptional and that is where I disagree more than anything.  

That said, I don't think it's very likely any team 7s giving up.much to annoint Darnold a starter simply because the optics would be bad.  It's one thing for JD to keep him another year and he washes out.  It's another to trade for him only to watch him wash out.  That's a one way ticket to unemployment.

i agree, i don't see darnold as having elite physical skill sets and he clearly has failed in the mental.  maybe he becomes like garropolo.  maybe.

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

Look at Wentz. Right now, he's way more fu*ked up than Sam, and Reich had him at an MVP level.

Shoot, I don’t even need to go that far back.  Look at Rivers’s last year in LA and his numbers from this year under Reich.  He had him playing phenomenal ball and, basically, halved his INTs:

A6377376-82EB-4065-B605-A80AC44FD707.thumb.jpeg.820021c715658745adcf1a844788db10.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

I don't doubt Indianapolis at all. I haven't heard that an offer was submitted so kudos on that scoop. Ballard felt he was by far the best prospect coming out and still thinks highly of him. Otherwise, I have heard that they have the hots for Trey Lance. 

Yup, and thanks.  Like I said, it was a little while back, so who knows where those talks are at now, but I had heard them mentioned for a while as a potential spot for Sam, so it didn’t shock me at all when I got that news.

Trey was my QB2 going into this season.  I don’t think I could come up with a name that was more harmed by the COVID process than Lance.  I love the kid.  He may need to sit for a little while but his potential is off the charts.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just like Douglas was going to re-sign Jamal Adams?

I wasn't even predicting what was going to happen in that post, you disgusting creature.  I was saying what the Jets SHOULD do.  As usual, you take the wrong side of the argument.

disgusted steve carell GIF

JiF's new avatar or everyone else's?

Whether or not Darnold can be redeemed is one thing. But isn't the core issue we have to learn here about team building? 

Assuming that Saleh, his staff and that Shanny offensive scheme is an upgrade, that still leaves the roster/talent part of the equation.

I think the main question for the Jets as an organization this offseason is whether or not they believe we have enough, or can bring enough, talent that could support developing another prospect.

Do you really want to see Fields or Wilson behind this offensive line? Both enjoyed incredible protection over their collegiate careers, and Fields had two stud receivers and an excellent rushing attack at his disposal. 

I'm still holding out for a Watson deal, but if that doesn't materialize, the best long term move could easily be spending one more season bolstering the roster before throwing another QB prospect into the fire.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm still holding out for a Watson deal, but if that doesn't materialize, the best long term move could easily be spending one more season bolstering the roster before throwing another QB prospect into the fire.

This.... but..... I cannot name one QB coming out next year and that worries me about putting off getting our QB. Let Wilson sit a year while Sam either raises his value (comp pick) or takes a beating. That gives us 2 full off-season's to build around our new young QB.

One in the hand is worth two in the bush!!

• Upvote 2