Dan Patrick: Zach Wilson Will Be 2nd QB Taken

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the second-best quarterback in the draft will be the second quarterback taken in the draft. It's hot takes like this that keep me in my Dan Patrick t-shirt. SAR I

So many "generational talents" so little time ...

exactly.  I just see Wilson being the classic "looked good on paper, but after 2 seasons of struggling to manage an NFL offense against NFL defenses, we should have seen the writing on the wall"

Posted Images

Been saying this for a while. I want the Jets to stay put and take him honestly.

Even by his own words he wants to play in the Shanahan system and thinks it is best fit for him

He is clearly a better prospect than Fields as a NFL QB

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

An entitled rich kid in NY that should go over well. He is impressive it just seems some of his throws would be easily picked by a halfway decent CB in the NFL. Him and his family being Pats fans  just another reason I can see a possible problem when the media starts putting pressure on him, can he handle it? It doesn’t help his dad tweeting BS even before he gets drafted. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 3
53 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Doesn't list who his source was - and lightens it by saying "if you took a survey" Zach Wilson going 2 would be the answer - but I still view this as a positive as it pertains to the Jets. 

Wilson has had pretty strong momentum since the season ended - you now see him ahead of Fields more often then not in most of the bigger draft scouts (DJ, Brugler, Kiper). If the Jets do opt to trade out of the pick having Wilson ahead of Fields/Lance will be beneficial as it'll make teams prioritize dealing with the Jets as opposed to Miami or Atlanta. Particularly for the Watson sweepstakes lets hope Wilson as a clear cut #2 theme emerges. 

He's most likely right.

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There is almost nothing to suggest that actually.

Yea there is. He has his critics out there. They all do. 

I get the attraction. He throws a pretty ball, and rifles it with plus accuracy. Seems like a gunslinger who will galvanize an offense... But he also holds on the ball far too long waiting for people to get open. Some of those touch passes will be easy picks for NFL defensive backs. I don't know enough about the intricacies of how that offense is demanding on the QB (cerebrally)... maybe it's nothing to be worried about - but I'd like to see a lot more anticipation and knowing what the defense is giving him - before waiting 3 seconds for his crossing routes to out run the linebackers and Nicklebacks.  He ignores too often his safety valves - going for homeruns. I dunno, maybe that's just the way the game is instructed to him though. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I get the attraction. He throws a pretty ball, and rifles it with plus accuracy. Seems like a gunslinger who will galvanize an offense... But he also holds on the ball far too long waiting for people to get open. Some of those touch passes will be easy picks for NFL defensive backs. I don't know enough about the intricacies of how that offense is demanding on the QB (cerebrally)... maybe it's nothing to be worried about - but I'd like to see a lot more anticipation and knowing what the defense is giving him - before waiting 3 seconds for his crossing routes to out run the linebackers and Nicklebacks.

Watch some of his full game clips you will see all of the things you seem to think he is missing. Yes he had a good oline and more than NFL time to throw. But he was also excellent in anticipation when needed and throwing into tight windows. FWW PFF does not agree with the interceptable ball thing and they are really anal about it. Watch a couple interviews where he breaks down film he is way more football smart than people think. His one real weakness seems to be pressure in his face but that should be coachable. I still maintain from a skills and accuracy standpoint he is the most impressive CFB QB I have seen in a very long time.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I get the attraction. He throws a pretty ball, and rifles it with plus accuracy. Seems like a gunslinger who will galvanize an offense... But he also holds on the ball far too long waiting for people to get open. Some of those touch passes will be easy picks for NFL defensive backs. I don't know enough about the intricacies of how that offense is demanding on the QB (cerebrally)... maybe it's nothing to be worried about - but I'd like to see a lot more anticipation and knowing what the defense is giving him - before waiting 3 seconds for his crossing routes to out run the linebackers and Nicklebacks.

But that's what he was being asked to do.  That was the play. 

He absolutely throws people open - with anticipation.  

He's a very good prospect and we should be excited if he ends up being our guy at 2.

Right now this all comes down to whether the Texans leadership wants Zach Wilson or not.

He's the best choice for a new GM/HC regime that wants to blow it up and start over with a QB on his rookie contract.  It's just a question of whether the rather incompetent Texans see it that way, too.  Maybe the Mormon thing plays into it, hopefully it doesn't.  Hopefully Caserio steps up as the adult in the room and lets McNair and Easterby know.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Right now this all comes down to whether the Texans leadership wants Zach Wilson or not.

He's the best choice for a new GM/HC regime that wants to blow it up and start over with a QB on his rookie contract.  It's just a question of whether the rather incompetent Texans see it that way, too.  Maybe the Mormon thing plays into it, hopefully it doesn't.  Hopefully Caserio steps up as the adult in the room and lets McNair and Easterby know.

It comes down first whether or not Saleh and JD views Wilson as "his guy". If he does we will just take him and not pursue Watson.

I have said it before, I am not sure Saleh will prefer Watson

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Watch some of his full game clips you will see all of the things you seem to think he is missing. Yes he had a good oline and more than NFL time to throw. But he was also excellent in anticipation when needed and throwing into tight windows. FWW PFF does not agree with the interceptable ball thing and they are really anal about it. Watch a couple interviews where he breaks down film he is way more football smart than people think. His one real weakness seems to be pressure in his face but that should be coachable. I still maintain from a skills and accuracy standpoint he is the most impressive CFB QB I have seen in a very long time.

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

But that's what he was being asked to do.  That was the play. 

He absolutely throws people open - with anticipation.  

He's a very good prospect and we should be excited if he ends up being our guy at 2.

Trying to talk to his 2 biggest boosters about why his game has holes appears to be an exercise in futility. 

Let me put it this way - The way he played the position at BYU will not work in the NFL. That doesn't mean he can't make the transition successfully. He holds on to the ball for too long, waiting for big plays to open up. That goes beyond what the play call was. He ignores the RB in flat for 5 and waits for flanker to make a 25 yard cross. One that he could have hit in the first LB window, but waited for the 2nd window... that sh*t won't fly. 

I got no more insight than that. Maybe interviews and white board workouts reveal that some of this stuff was asked of him - but you, me and others here can't pretend to know that. That's just making stuff up to suite your narrative. 

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think Wilson is a nice prospect and he’s really fun to watch and makes a lot of NFL style throws.

Wholeheartedly disagree with you just kind of casting the dealing with pressure concern aside though. I think ability to handle pressure is really hard to coach and a major concern. It’s ruined a lot of good quarterback prospects.

Doesn’t mean he can’t be good, but NFL teams will just blitz you until you prove you can play against pressure and beat it.

• Upvote 1

Makes more sense than trading a boatload high picks and QW for a QB.  I’m also for trading down but I’m fine with Wilson or Fields Just gotta build around them correctly this time.  We put Sam in an awful situation do it can’t happen again.  But I trust JD

• Upvote 2
Just now, Jetlife33 said:

If the Jets trade back like I think they will this board is going to explode. 

Honestly they could technically trade back and still get  Fields or Wilson  possibly 

• Upvote 4
41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, it's pretty clear at this point.

It's Watson or Wilson for the Jets.

Yes more and more people are beginning to recognize Fields is similar to Geno. We know how that worked out.

Fields  // aka Geno 2.0

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Doesn't list who his source was - and lightens it by saying "if you took a survey" Zach Wilson going 2 would be the answer - but I still view this as a positive as it pertains to the Jets. 

Wilson has had pretty strong momentum since the season ended - you now see him ahead of Fields more often then not in most of the bigger draft scouts (DJ, Brugler, Kiper). If the Jets do opt to trade out of the pick having Wilson ahead of Fields/Lance will be beneficial as it'll make teams prioritize dealing with the Jets as opposed to Miami or Atlanta. Particularly for the Watson sweepstakes lets hope Wilson as a clear cut #2 theme emerges. 

He may go second but not likely he go’s to Jets. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

exactly. 

I just see Wilson being the classic "looked good on paper, but after 2 seasons of struggling to manage an NFL offense against NFL defenses, we should have seen the writing on the wall" situations. 

Colt McCoy-ish

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Paradis said:

exactly. 

I just see Wilson being the classic "looked good on paper, but after 2 seasons of struggling to manage an NFL offense against NFL defenses, we should have seen the writing on the wall" situations. 

If we don’t take Wilson, he will become Josh Allen. If we do take him, that glass shoulder will have him out by Game 3.  

• Haha 2