Dan Patrick: Zach Wilson Will Be 2nd QB Taken

I think Lafleur can work wonders with this Wilson kid. He's accurate like Garapolo but much more versatile. Way faster. Based on the offense we're running, stretch runs, ball handling, throwing on the run, quick releases where the WR has time to make a move, Wilson I think IS THE GUY if we don't get Watson & I also think a 2nd is a sure thing for Darnold & it may be a 1st. 

So many teams needing QBs going forward & at least a guy with some NFL games under their belt that can give a fanbase hope so they show up or tune in. Bills fans were sick of Fitzy but we took him in with open arms. Redskins fans were sick of Cousins but Vikings fans were dancing over getting him. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Trying to talk to his 2 biggest boosters about why his game has holes appears to be an exercise in futility. 

Let me put it this way - The way he played the position at BYU will not work in the NFL. That doesn't mean he can't make the transition successfully. He holds on to the ball for too long, waiting for big plays to open up. That goes beyond what the play call was. He ignores the RB in flat for 5 and waits for flanker to make a 25 yard cross. One that he could have hit in the first LB window, but waited for the 2nd window... that sh*t won't fly. 

I got no more insight than that. Maybe interviews and white board workouts reveal that some of this stuff was asked of him - but you, me and others here can't pretend to know that. That's just making stuff up to suite your narrative. 

Fair enough.  There's still a lot to learn about him. Combine, interviews, things will leak.

I really do like his skill-set.  He just fits the mold of what the better QB's are doing right now.  explosive arm, quick release, very accurate, even when on the run - heads always up.

And he just seems like he has the intangibles.  

We will see, If we don't get Watson - I think ultimately he's going to be our guy - so we'll see.  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think Lafleur can work wonders with this Wilson kid. He's accurate like Garapolo but much more versatile. Way faster. Based on the offense we're running, stretch runs, ball handling, throwing on the run, quick releases where the WR has time to make a move, Wilson I think IS THE GUY if we don't get Watson & I also think a 2nd is a sure thing for Darnold & it may be a 1st. 

So many teams needing QBs going forward & at least a guy with some NFL games under their belt that can give a fanbase hope so they show up or tune in. Bills fans were sick of Fitzy but we took him in with open arms. Redskins fans were sick of Cousins but Vikings fans were dancing over getting him. 

I don’t see the Jimmy G • Wilson comp, unless you mean projected production, instead of style of play.

I actually Darnold (in this sytem) can be a Garropollo in terms of production•status.   

But I think Wilson can be big time, like top 10 in the league. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

not at 8.  but if the jets trade back to 8, they're not targeting a qb.

They may not be targeting a QB, but it doesn’t mean that they wouldn’t take one at 8 if the opportunity presents itself.

Hypothetical: Fields is #5 on the Jets board.  The Jets don’t take him at #2, staying true to their board, and they trade down to 8, confident that someone they value will be there.  Fields drops to 8 and is their highest-ranked player at that point.  They pivot, take Fields, and execute the “trade Sam” deal they had in place with another team in advance.

If they definitively like Fields better than Darnold, maybe they go about this differently.  But if it’s close, being OK with keeping Sam gives Douglas the ability to let the board come to them on Draft Day

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

An entitled rich kid in NY that should go over well. He is impressive it just seems some of his throws would be easily picked by a halfway decent CB in the NFL. Him and his family being Pats fans  just another reason I can see a possible problem when the media starts putting pressure on him, can he handle it? It doesn’t help his dad tweeting BS even before he gets drafted. Just my opinion.

Real easy to put up stats facing East Tampon State

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

But that's what he was being asked to do.  That was the play. 

He absolutely throws people open - with anticipation.  

He's a very good prospect and we should be excited if he ends up being our guy at 2.

Lest we forget James Morgan? 

4 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Doesn't list who his source was - and lightens it by saying "if you took a survey" Zach Wilson going 2 would be the answer - but I still view this as a positive as it pertains to the Jets. 

Wilson has had pretty strong momentum since the season ended - you now see him ahead of Fields more often then not in most of the bigger draft scouts (DJ, Brugler, Kiper). If the Jets do opt to trade out of the pick having Wilson ahead of Fields/Lance will be beneficial as it'll make teams prioritize dealing with the Jets as opposed to Miami or Atlanta. Particularly for the Watson sweepstakes lets hope Wilson as a clear cut #2 theme emerges. 

We went from being the laughing stock of the NFL to the most intriguing. Impressive what a well respected coach can bring the team.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don’t see the Jimmy G • Wilson comp, unless you mean projected production, instead of style of play.

I actually Darnold (in this sytem) can be a Garropollo in terms of production•status.   

But I think Wilson can be big time, like top 10 in the league. 

Garapolo has cement feet but he gets rid of the ball clean & accurately. Stance, quick release but Wilson can do all of that & move around really quickly. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Garapolo has cement feet but he gets rid of the ball clean & accurately. Stance, quick release but Wilson can do all of that & move around really quickly. 

I always liked Garropollo, but it looks like he’s hurt too often...still a good QB.

I’d take him for a year while Wilson sits if San Fran cuts him or is looking to offer us a pick to take on his contract.

5 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:
Doesn't list who his source was - and lightens it by saying "if you took a survey" Zach Wilson going 2 would be the answer - but I still view this as a positive as it pertains to the Jets. 

Wilson has had pretty strong momentum since the season ended - you now see him ahead of Fields more often then not in most of the bigger draft scouts (DJ, Brugler, Kiper). If the Jets do opt to trade out of the pick having Wilson ahead of Fields/Lance will be beneficial as it'll make teams prioritize dealing with the Jets as opposed to Miami or Atlanta. Particularly for the Watson sweepstakes lets hope Wilson as a clear cut #2 theme emerges. 

Completely agree with this.  If the Texans want Wilson (or Fields) they definitely have to do a deal with the Jets because that's the only way they can assure themselves of getting him.  And I really think the Jets will take Wilson or trade out to another team (Atlanta) that will. To me, this really makes Miami's third overall pick a lot less valuable to Houston, but again that's all contingent on Houston wanting Wilson or Fields.

• Upvote 2

Another twist to this I wonder about is the 2022 QB draft class.

The Texans might want to stay with Watson, but there's a good chance they are just putting off the inevitable.  And his trade value will never be higher than it is now, with that juicy low salary coming up this year.  So I look ahead to 2022 and it looks like the best QB prospect is Sam Howell with Spencer Rattler's name being mentioned as well.  I don't follow these guys and know nothing about them except they are both not big guys.  

So the question is, are these prospects on par with Wilson and Fields?  If so, HOU can gamble on waiting a year, knowing they will suck and get a high pick they can use.  On the other hand, if the '22 class isn't as respected as this one, then that should put more urgency on HOU to make the switch now.

Anyone have insight on Howell, Rattler and/or anyone else coming up?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Trying to talk to his 2 biggest boosters about why his game has holes appears to be an exercise in futility. 

Let me put it this way - The way he played the position at BYU will not work in the NFL. That doesn't mean he can't make the transition successfully. He holds on to the ball for too long, waiting for big plays to open up. That goes beyond what the play call was. He ignores the RB in flat for 5 and waits for flanker to make a 25 yard cross. One that he could have hit in the first LB window, but waited for the 2nd window... that sh*t won't fly. 

I got no more insight than that. Maybe interviews and white board workouts reveal that some of this stuff was asked of him - but you, me and others here can't pretend to know that. That's just making stuff up to suite your narrative. 

I havent watched Wilson all that much, but I think what you said is what makes these QB evaluations so difficult.

If he does have a really good arm, accuracy, quick release etc and yet his flaws are that he takes too many chances, needs to speed up his internal clock and and has to learn to take checkdowns, those things are ALL easily coachable.

I loved Darnold as a prospect because I believed his ability to feel pressure, make plays off schedule and his innate ability to throw on the run were things that just couldnt be taught and I figured given his lack of coaching (was a LB in HS) and age, he would learn the other things.  For whatever reason he hasnt and his lack of understanding how to play the position (ie taking checkdowns, throwing the ball away, not throwing across your body into the middle of the field) has not only never improved but it has sapped his ability to do the things he used to do well.

All these guys have flaws.  JD needs to know what Saleh and LaFleur want in a QB and determine whether Fields or Wilson is the best fit to do the things they want to do. Its a tough job to pick these guys.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The Texans might want to stay with Watson, but there's a good chance they are just putting off the inevitable.  And his trade value will never be higher than it is now, with that juicy low salary coming up this year.  So I look ahead to 2022 and it looks like the best QB prospect is Sam Howell with Spencer Rattler's name being mentioned as well.  I don't follow these guys and know nothing about them except they are both not big guys.  

So the question is, are these prospects on par with Wilson and Fields?  If so, HOU can gamble on waiting a year, knowing they will suck and get a high pick they can use.  On the other hand, if the '22 class isn't as respected as this one, then that should put more urgency on HOU to make the switch now.

Rattler will be a 2 year starter with somewhat of an attitude issue. Howell seems like a good prospect as does Kedon Slovis, but I highly doubt anyone on this board wants another USC QB.

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I havent watched Wilson all that much, but I think what you said is what makes these QB evaluations so difficult.

If he does have a really good arm, accuracy, quick release etc and yet his flaws are that he takes too many chances, needs to speed up his internal clock and and has to learn to take checkdowns, those things are ALL easily coachable.

I loved Darnold as a prospect because I believed his ability to feel pressure, make plays off schedule and his innate ability to throw on the run were things that just couldnt be taught and I figured given his lack of coaching (was a LB in HS) and age, he would learn the other things.  For whatever reason he hasnt and his lack of understanding how to play the position (ie taking checkdowns, throwing the ball away, not throwing across your body into the middle of the field) has not only never improved but it has sapped his ability to do the things he used to do well.

All these guys have flaws.  JD needs to know what Saleh and LaFleur want in a QB and determine whether Fields or Wilson is the best fit to do the things they want to do. Its a tough job to pick these guys.

I would agree.

Sometimes even the obvious ones struggle... I stopped trying to figure them out.  A guy like me doesn't have any acccess/face time to get 40% of evaluation material needed - like interviews, chalk talk, private work outs etc.

Most QBs probably fit somewhere in between and a lot of variables could tip scales one or another.  ...Though there is still some that feel overtly bad... just what the hell were you think picks -- Like Hackenberg...Christian Ponder... Gabbert... ... i have no idea what those teams saw in them. I haven't felt that strongly about any of these guys. 

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I would agree.

Sometimes even the obvious ones struggle... I stopped trying to figure them out.  A guy like me doesn't have any acccess/face time to get 40% of evaluation material needed - like interviews, chalk talk, private work outs etc.

Most QBs probably fit somewhere in between and a lot of variables could tip scales one or another.  ...Though there is still some that feel overtly bad... just what the hell were you think picks -- Like Hackenberg...Christian Ponder... Gabbert... ... i have no idea what those teams saw in them. I haven't felt that strongly about any of these guys. 

Big QB need that forced up value of suspect QBs and if I recall both Ponder and Gabbert had knock it out of the park pro days.

Beware the pro day I always say.  I like watching combine drills to compare QBs rather than these can't look bad pro days (cept bridgewater)

This is also why unless the Jets LOVE one of these draft QBs they should pass for this year.

18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Rattler will be a 2 year starter with somewhat of an attitude issue. Howell seems like a good prospect as does Kedon Slovis, but I highly doubt anyone on this board wants another USC QB.

Not us.  I'm talking about HOU.  But yeah, if we run with Sam again and it doesn't work out, are we looking at a thin crop?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

eh. A lot can happen in a year, but there's no mustangs like TL on the horizon. Howell and Rattler are the two biggest names at the moment.

These (to me) are the ones who could easily rise into first rnd names if they shine--

• Slovis (USC)
  • Shough (ORE)
  • Daniels... maybe (georgia)

Personally i'm going to be interested to see if Shough can take a leap next year. 6'5 220... I hope College ball can have a more conventional summer/season. He's just a tall drink of water with all the physical ability in the world if it all comes together

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

eh. A lot can happen in a year, but there's no mustangs like TL on the horizon. Howell and Rattler are the two biggest names at the moment.

These (to me) are the ones who could easily rise into first rnd names if they shine--

• Slovis (USC)
  • Shough (ORE)
  • Daniels... maybe (georgia)

Personally i'm going to be interested to see if Shough can take a leap next year. 6'5 220... I hope College ball can have a more conventional summer/season. He's just a tall drink of water with all the physical ability in the world if it all comes together

Slovis!? SLOVIS!? SLOVIS!!?

Dear God...

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

some people still believe in him *shrugs*

I buy Shough but SLOVIS!!? 5 QBs should go in the top 15 of this year’s draft... if we pass on any of them for Slovis, I’m gonna get married and dedicate myself to “date night” instead of caring about football.

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

There is almost nothing to suggest that actually.

correct.  there are ppl who will NEVER trade draft picks.  Even when it provides a far better chance of getting you what you need than Zach Wilson.  Glad they are armchair GMs like the rest of us.