Does anyone else want Justin Fields?

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

I want Fields, I still like him over Wilson.  

I don't think he's a finished product, but I don't think anyone in this class is ready to come in day 1 and be a stud, including Lawrence.  He has all the physical tools to be a stud, with very good accuracy.  

There are a few things he needs to work on, but I think that's true for every QB.  One, as most QBs in college, he played in a simple read offense that determines reads based on a single defender.  If defender X does Y, you go to 1, if defender X does Z, you go to 2.  Therefore, he has a tendency to stare down receivers, when he should be scanning the field.  If you look at Murray, Mayfield, Watson, or even Herbert in college, they did the same thing.  

He needs to be more patient in the pocket, sometimes relying too much on his athleticism to make running plays.    

I think the biggest reason I want him is because I think he's perfect for the system.  I think having mobility with down field accuracy is much more useful in an outside zone rush offense because you can use his mobility to hold the LBs.   I think that's why Watson/Wilson have such success in the league as well, because they throw accurate deep passes, while holding defenses honest with their mobility.  In a different vein, that's the weakness of Lamar Jackson, he's not accurate throwing the ball down the field, thus his passing game suffers.  

I'm not going to be sad if it's Wilson, but I love the potential of Fields in this offense.  

Are you saying that Watson/Mayfiled/Herbert all played in similar offenses to what Fields is running?

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yes I like and want Fields.  This silly discussion reminds me of Mahomes when I wanted him and folks made up stuff to downgrade him for another so called can’t miss guy at #1, who was overrated   

While I like Wilson you can’t honestly compare him in terms of production to Fields.  Wilson had one good year after stinking before and was not so good against coastal this year.

Fields has played against far superior opponents than Wilson, has statistics that match Lawrence’s, is bigger, stronger and faster QB than Wilson and outperformed the  #1 QB in the world head to head when his team was the underdog. 

So yes, I want to have Fields.  I will await, all those 5 years from now who say “Oh no one knew he would be this good” yet again.  

Sorry but Fields couldn't even beat out Jake Fromm.

Don't think either is worthy of a #2 pick. Really hope we can find a trading partner.  Talents like Sewell, Smith or Chase are far more interesting.

• WTF? 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Wall Street is going short on Fields. They are sending him to the moon. Other teams will pass as they hold the line. Then the Jets will take Fields in the 3rd round.

:)

..in the 3rd round - fine.  NO SOONER...  please    ?

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

I went back and watched every play of Fields last year. I honestly don’t remember him throwing a pass to his second option. Maybe a handful at most. And he does hold the ball forever and suffers from hero syndrome a la Sam (will throw a ball into danger when he should just throw it away). 

If you truly believe you can coach him up to have a quicker release, play smart and read defenses, then I agree, the raw physical talent is there.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I’d be totally ok if Fields was the pick even though most people are assuming and mocking Wilson.  I think Fields’ accuracy is under appreciated.  2 games caused him to slide out of the 2nd QB spot.  He didn’t look good in Northwestern game because OSU was missing 21 players including Olave.  Against Alabama, I think he wasn’t able to play his normal game because of injuries.  

29 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Sorry but Fields couldn't even beat out Jake Fromm.

Don't think either is worthy of a #2 pick. Really hope we can find a trading partner.  Talents like Sewell, Smith or Chase are far more interesting.

And? Joe Borrow couldn’t beat out Dewayne Haskins.

And just because someone is “beat out” from a job doesn’t mean that they weren’t the most qualified candidate for said job 

• Upvote 2

If we draft Fields at #2, I would be excited. I’ll be happy with a few scenarios actually. But he’s not who I would draft at 2.

Fields is a better prospect than Darnold. He does a lot of the same things but has a great deep ball and is more of a threat running the ball.

My preferred scenarios: reasonable trade for Watson > draft Wilson at #2 > draft Fields at #2 > trade back and build around the QB position while giving Sam another shot. I’ll be fine with any of those.

The only thing that’ll get me hating JD is sticking with Sam and taking a non-QB at #2.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's easily the 2nd best QB in the draft.  Some dumbass team is going to take Zach Baker Manziel ahead of him and it will be just like when the Bears took Trubisky over Watson and Mahomes because he was a 1 year wonder who did some neat things and is now being way over sold to the point of absolute absurdity.  Someone on this very site called the Zach Baker Manziel the greatest down field passer...wait for it.....EVER!!!  lmfao.  This and the battle of dont pass on Watson/Mahomes for the next class debates is why I stopped having QB conversations.  The sh*t that comes out is so absolutely stupid and wrong and people just eat it up that there is really no point in having a debate.  

Here a real mind **** for you; when Fields undoubtedly looked head and shoulders the better prospect over Lawrence in both meetings they've had...do a quick swap a roo for Zach Baker Manziel and imagine the absolute embarrassment he'd put up on display for the world....and now, put Fields on BYU and let him run through the cream puff schedule.  lmfao.  This is why I dont, bro.  Dumb AF.  Straight up.  Lets these bozos battle out who's pubic hair is longer, I'm good.  

What I find the most alarming is the fact that none of the mainstream talking heads  mention Zach‘s alarming injury history. Usually injuries(especially a QB with shoulder injuries) would tank any draft prospects stock but for whatever reason not this kid. On top of the small frame and weak competition.. IDK how anyone can seriously put him over Fields 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Wall Street is going short on Fields. They are sending him to the moon. Other teams will pass as they hold the line. Then the Jets will take Fields in the 3rd round.

:)

I read this and I thought it was Kelly.  I saw it was Max and I felt bad.  Then I saw this and realized it's not me.  It's you!

30 minutes ago, kelly said:

..in the 3rd round - fine.  NO SOONER...  please    ?

cheers ~ ~ 

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

And? Joe Borrow couldn’t beat out Dewayne Haskins.

And just because someone is “beat out” from a job doesn’t mean that they weren’t the most qualified candidate for said job 

lmfao - example #10129282892 of why I dont!  Fields couldnt beat out Fromm but yo, peep Ohio St. QB's in the NFL.  ///looks back on Joe Burrow, shakes head in confusion.

Mahomes couldnt be out Davis Webb.  Burrow, Haskins.  Murray, Kyle Allen.  and on and on and on and on and on but hey yo!  Did you see that Northwestern game?!?!?!?!?!?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Personally I think he will struggle. I expect him to drop in the draft. With the right situation like Lamar went to he could be successful. I think he is wrong for the Jets.

This is kind of where I am at.  I like him, but I think his bust potential is fairly high.  Physically he can be tremendous.  My initial feeling was that once they went with a Shanahan guy that he wasn't going to be the one.  It is interesting to read that win4ever and some others think he'd be a good fit.  WIlson scares me just as much.  He'd probably scare me more, but I haven't watched him as much so not yet. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's easily the 2nd best QB in the draft.  Some dumbass team is going to take Zach Baker Manziel ahead of him and it will be just like when the Bears took Trubisky over Watson and Mahomes because he was a 1 year wonder who did some neat things and is now being way over sold to the point of absolute absurdity.  Someone on this very site called the Zach Baker Manziel the greatest down field passer...wait for it.....EVER!!!  lmfao.  This and the battle of dont pass on Watson/Mahomes for the next class debates is why I stopped having QB conversations.  The sh*t that comes out is so absolutely stupid and wrong and people just eat it up that there is really no point in having a debate.  

Here a real mind **** for you; when Fields undoubtedly looked head and shoulders the better prospect over Lawrence in both meetings they've had...do a quick swap a roo for Zach Baker Manziel and imagine the absolute embarrassment he'd put up on display for the world....and now, put Fields on BYU and let him run through the cream puff schedule.  lmfao.  This is why I dont, bro.  Dumb AF.  Straight up.  Lets these bozos battle out who's pubic hair is longer, I'm good.  

Yeah, Fields came up big after almost dying during the Clemson game. He was obviously hurt playing Alabama and their collection of future NFL players. I’m firmly in the get Deshaun club, be fine with Fields, don’t see Joe  Douglas attaching his career onto the Wilson kid, but ultimately be ok with anyone but poor Sammy. Cant watch another year of that. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I read this and I thought it was Kelly.  I saw it was Max and I felt bad.  Then I saw this and realized it's not me.  It's you!

dear #2theD, hi !  ?

Please don't feel  " bad "..  just try NOT standing hourS a day in front of ur mirror  ?

cheers ~ ~ 

Yup. I still like Fields a lot and think he can be a FQB if brought up with a solid supporting cast in a complementary system.

I still prefer Wilson but his injuries/surgeries really scare me. I don't care if other players have had the same shoulder surgery and bounced back (Brees), Wilson had it in both shoulders and also had surgery in his throwing hand. I'm concerned he is injury prone and if we draft him we will find out the hard way. The next injury may not be one that he bounces back from so easily. 

Fields is really accurate, mobile, he's a winner, playmaker, he's tough, he's got the arm, there's A LOT to like. Almost everyone had him as the #2 QB before the playoffs started and then he had a couple tough games and suddenly he is not a potential FQB. If he slides to the middle of Rd. 1, whoever gets him (Pats) will get a steal. 

If the Jets did their due diligence and decided to take Fields at #2 I would have no issue with it. If they decided to take Wilson I would fine too but I would be worried about injuries. 

Above all else I want Watson.    

38 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, Fields came up big after almost dying during the Clemson game. He was obviously hurt playing Alabama and their collection of future NFL players. I’m firmly in the get Deshaun club, be fine with Fields, don’t see Joe  Douglas attaching his career onto the Wilson kid, but ultimately be ok with anyone but poor Sammy. Cant watch another year of that. 

Coming back with Sam will take all the steam out of hiring an exciting new coach.  I wont watch, straight up.  Zero interest in watching Sam Darnold not give a sh*t and suck while not caring. 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Douglas gets it wrong with either Fields or Wilson, he’s going to get fired, which is, *IMO* why you pay the premium for Watson. Having that security built into your program is worth a couple of mid-first round picks. 

I'm in the camp of do whatever it takes to get Watson but running it back with Sam Darnold would be the legit dumbest sh*t this franchise has ever done.  If JD doesnt pull off a trade and then have the balls to take a QB, then gtfo. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

He’s not worse than the other 2nd round pick QB that didn’t get a single minute of playing time because he was embarrassing himself in practice 

dear GangGr, hi !  ?

i do NOT disagree with you. 

it's a  " sliding scale "   ?.. especially re QB's   ?

cheers ~ ~ 

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Coming back with Sam will take all the steam out of hiring an exciting new coach.  I wont watch, straight up.  Zero interest in watching Sam Darnold not give a sh*t and suck while not caring. 

Legions of people already don't watch the Jets 

They don't care. They get paid the same either way. 

• Thumb Down 1