Does anyone else want Justin Fields?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm in the camp of do whatever it takes to get Watson but running it back with Sam Darnold would be the legit dumbest sh*t this franchise has ever done.  If JD doesnt pull off a trade and then have the balls to take a QB, then gtfo. 

The safest moves Douglas can make, ranked: 

1. trade for Watson and lock up the QB1 spot forever.

2. Trade out of two, prop up Darnold, draft a second-tier QB prospect with one of the resulting picks, hope for a Tannehill situation. If Darnold sucks, pray to God for another top five pick in 22. 

<nine mile chasm>

3. Draft Wilson (because of the consensus), trade Darnold. Pray.

4. Draft Fields. Pray.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GodDamnSnack said:

I feel like every thread is about Zach Wilson, Deshaun Watson or trading down. I think Fields is a terrific player and that he has a real shot at becoming a star in the league, if he's well supported. He seems to have a winner's edge to him and a lot of tools he can rely on. 

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind and I don't want to spend the next several pages arguing on how good of a prospect he is. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks choosing Fields is a solid move for the franchise at qb, like I do. 

I prefer Fields over Wilson but not really convinced we should use the 2nd pick on either

• Upvote 2

I've discussed Fields v. Wilson ad nauseum. One thing to consider with Fields: playing in the NY market is not easy and not everyone is up to the pressure (I wonder if this has affected Darnold). I'm less concerned about Fields playing in NY than most other prospects. The kid was on a Netflix series in high school and has played in front of huge crowds in the national spotlight his entire career. I don't believe playing in NY will faze Fields.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Coming back with Sam will take all the steam out of hiring an exciting new coach.  I wont watch, straight up.  Zero interest in watching Sam Darnold not give a sh*t and suck while not caring. 

You can spend your time surfing and snapping the boogie boards of any bitches that get too close to you! 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Legions of people already don't watch the Jets 

They don't care. They get paid the same either way. 

Thanks for sharing, I was unaware that some people dont watch the Jets and the Jets dont care about winning.  These are true revelations. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I feel like every thread is about Zach Wilson, Deshaun Watson or trading down. I think Fields is a terrific player and that he has a real shot at becoming a star in the league, if he's well supported. He seems to have a winner's edge to him and a lot of tools he can rely on. 

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind and I don't want to spend the next several pages arguing on how good of a prospect he is. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks choosing Fields is a solid move for the franchise at qb, like I do. 

:smilies2_puke:

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Thanks for sharing, I was unaware that some people dont watch the Jets and the Jets dont care about winning.  These are true revelations. 

You already said that you don't buy merch and don't watch so what are we really talking about? 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

2. Trade out of two, prop up Darnold, draft a second-tier QB prospect with one of the resulting picks, hope for a Tannehill situation. If Darnold sucks, pray to God for another top five pick in 22. 

<nine mile chasm>

4. Draft Fields. Pray.  

The safest move jd could make would be to draft chase, Smith or Sewell 

These qbs are not as safe compared to Smith 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We now have a competent General Manager, Head Coach, and Offensive Coordinator. 

So it's a relief to know I can just trust their judgement and  ? * * not have to listen * *  ?  to a bunch of armchair forum opinions for once.

SAR I

if i may, exactly WHY do YOU have to Listen..  to any thing   ?

I like Fields, but I don't like him at the #2 spot.  If he is there at #23, I scoop him up.  At #2, if it's not Wilson, then you pass.

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that Zach Wilson goes through his progressions faster and most importantly is a great fit for the new offense the Jets will be installing. Nothing against Fields - any team should be happy to get him. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

Sorry but Fields couldn't even beat out Jake Fromm.

Don't think either is worthy of a #2 pick. Really hope we can find a trading partner.  Talents like Sewell, Smith or Chase are far more interesting.

Burrow couldn’t beat out Fields/Haskins. We can do this all day. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The safest move jd could make would be to draft chase, Smith or Sewell 

These qbs are not as safe compared to Smith 

Disagree. I think Wilson will be elite - but that's just my opinion. The same could be said for Watson and Mahomes coming out of college. Who wouldn't want to do-over in that freakin' draft. 

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

<nine mile chasm>

4. Draft Fields. Pray.  

As annoying as some of the draft Sewell arguments are, and I was right there with then when I thought he was the slam dunk top position player in the draft (and still think he’d be fun in a move down situation if he slides), I think there’s something to be said for the track record of QB’s going in the top three to five of recent drafts and taking a look at who the superstars in the league are.

Rodgers in the 20’s with Alex Smith going first, Mahomes at 10 and Watson at 12 the year Trubisky went 2. Herbert the best rookie at 8 (acknowledging Burrow was excellent before he got hurt), Allen at 7 better than Mayfield and Darnold at 1 and 3 - and Jackson at 32 that same year. Recent 1/2 QB drafts include Goff and Wentz, Winston and Mariota, and Luck and RGIII. Granted Luck was solid but I don’t think his career before retirement met the lofty expectations for him.

Recent track record is that teams aren’t that great taking QB’s at the top of the draft. How much of that is just bad scouting versus guys landing in bad situations is up in the air. But I think you can surround a guy with better talent and minimize expectations and risk associated with drafting someone a little later. It’s why your scenario 2 is safer even if they end up taking Lance in the teens or Fields falls and they take him. And it’s extra nice if they get a 2022 first rounder as an extra asset.

FWIW I do think that Fields has a cleaner path to working out than Wilson does. I think there’s a good chance Fields is a quality QB if he’s treated carefully. Maybe benched a year, system catered to his strengths and then expand what he does. Something akin to Josh Allen’s development trajectory. The issue is I don’t think the Jets will do any of that.

Those clean pockets Wilson worked with coupled with his issues dealing with pressure. frame, and injury history are scary, as real as I think the arm talent and innate feel for throwing the ball are and as fun as he is to watch.

Between the risks with both guys and the recent track record of highly drafted QB’s I’m not touching either at 2 if I’m JD. As a fan I’d love throwing QB prospects at the wall until one sticks but those aren’t guys you’re willing to gamble your job on that high in the draft. I’d be pretty stunned if he’s got enough conviction to take either guy and I’d hope they actually build everything they do around developing the QB for once if he does take one.

I still think Trey Lance later is the most Ravens, Ozzie Newsome move if he slides a little. Traded down and then up again for Flacco I think and up for Jackson. Big tools guys, not big time talent at their colleges, second half of the first round. Would be awesome if Jones leapfrogs him for QB4.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You already said that you don't buy merch and don't watch so what are we really talking about? 

I dont buy spend money on the NFL but I still watch.  Just dont watch as much as I once did because the teams sucks and isnt interesting and that will continue if Sam Darnold is the QB.  If it's Watson, I'll probably never miss another snap and start spending on the NFL again.  If it's Fields, I'll at least watch and see what happens.  No interest in seeing a QB who doesnt give 2 sh*ts about Football take another snap for my favorite team.

Ultimately what we're talking about is the Jets, on a Jets fan board.  I'm a Jets fan, sharing how the Jets decisions impact how I consume their product.  I understand the Jets dont care about me, personally and that's fine.  I'm not taking a stand or rebelling, just choosing to spend my time differently.  If you dont care, cool, dont respond. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

<nine mile chasm>

4. Draft Fields. Pray.  

I don't think this could have been said any better. This is perfect. 

A situation I might add is trading down with Carolina or a similar team. Gaining an additional multitude of picks and considering Trey Lance. Lance needing a year to sit kind of coincides with getting a look at Darnold in this SF offense in 2021. Might be the only situation where you get 2 high upside options at QB and the risk is reduced as youll be gaining at-least a future first or 2 from Carolina. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

<nine mile chasm>

4. Draft Fields. Pray.  

I just think propping up Darnold is a lost cause and would be the move of someone destined to fail.   Denying truth for hope and putting the team/fans through it, IMO, is 100X worse then swinging and missing on a QB.  It's 2017 all over again.  

Personally, I'd rather have a GM with the courage to be bold then a coward afraid to make a mistake.  Otherwise, you end up like the Colts.  Great team going nowhere because the GM is too cowardly to draft a QB high because he doesnt want to lose his job.  Which is cool if you're the GM, sucks if you're a Colts fan.  They will be a middling franchise never good enough and the person to blame?  Chris Ballard

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Yep. Same boat here. Sticking with Sam is not a "safe decision", it's actually very risky. He's the only one that we have 3 seasons worth of data at the pro level where he's been a failure. Saying that he'll succeed with better talent around him is projecting based off of gut feel that directly contradicts the most reliable data. 

My personal preference is:

1) Trade for Watson. 

2) Draft Fields at 2.

3) Draft Wilson at 2. 

4)Trade down, sign Winston and make him and Sam compete in a non-rigged competition. 

100%.  And the other factor is, I dont see another QB class in the near future with this type of talent.  The #2 overall QB prospect who followed it up with a decorated college career, isnt out there in the near future.  Truth is, it rarely happens but this draft has #1 and #2 in it and both apply.

I'm with you.  Take a QB somehow, someway.  I dont even like Wilson as a prospect but I'd rather go that route then build around Danrold.  It could be long term detriment to this team if Darnold continues to suck, they passed on QB's and now we're back in the game of....how do we acquire a QB? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If Douglas gets it wrong with either Fields or Wilson, he’s going to get fired, which is, *IMO* why you pay the premium for Watson. Having that security built into your program is worth a couple of mid-first round picks. 

If Douglas trades for Watson and still can't build a winner he'll be fired . Building with a young QB gives him insulation for a few years at minimum,.

10 hours ago, GodDamnSnack said:

I have been on wanting Fields over Wilson or Darnold. Wilson played bad teams and has a frail built frame with already having shoulder surgeries on both arms. As for Fields, very few QBs could take that hit he did against Bama and still pay the way he did to win. Every QB has off days, but Fields seems to still win on those days.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Looking at the NFL these days, you have to go with the most athletic qb's,  the dual threats. That's why Lamar and Allen are good (besides other factors, like weapons), that's why Rosen didn't make it. He's not an athletic guy. That's why Baker and Sam are so so. Sam seems suprisingly unathletic to me. (at first, I thought it was because of the mono). If you can't make gravy first downs running when things break down; if you have a lousy roster and can't make something out of nothing with your legs once in a while, it's going to be three and out, like it is with Sam. Plenty of times he could have run for a first down and he didn't. Allen and Lamar extend SO many drives with their legs. That's why we want Fields over Wilson.  We just have to hope Fields is Watson and not Haskins.

39 minutes ago, derp said:

As annoying as some of the draft Sewell arguments are, and I was right there with then when I thought he was the slam dunk top position player in the draft (and still think he’d be fun in a move down situation if he slides), I think there’s something to be said for the track record of QB’s going in the top three to five of recent drafts and taking a look at who the superstars in the league are.

Rodgers in the 20’s with Alex Smith going first, Mahomes at 10 and Watson at 12 the year Trubisky went 2. Herbert the best rookie at 8 (acknowledging Burrow was excellent before he got hurt), Allen at 7 better than Mayfield and Darnold at 1 and 3 - and Jackson at 32 that same year. Recent 1/2 QB drafts include Goff and Wentz, Winston and Mariota, and Luck and RGIII. Granted Luck was solid but I don’t think his career before retirement met the lofty expectations for him.

Recent track record is that teams aren’t that great taking QB’s at the top of the draft. How much of that is just bad scouting versus guys landing in bad situations is up in the air. But I think you can surround a guy with better talent and minimize expectations and risk associated with drafting someone a little later. It’s why your scenario 2 is safer even if they end up taking Lance in the teens or Fields falls and they take him. And it’s extra nice if they get a 2022 first rounder as an extra asset.

FWIW I do think that Fields has a cleaner path to working out than Wilson does. I think there’s a good chance Fields is a quality QB if he’s treated carefully. Maybe benched a year, system catered to his strengths and then expand what he does. Something akin to Josh Allen’s development trajectory. The issue is I don’t think the Jets will do any of that.

Those clean pockets Wilson worked with coupled with his issues dealing with pressure. frame, and injury history are scary, as real as I think the arm talent and innate feel for throwing the ball are and as fun as he is to watch.

Between the risks with both guys and the recent track record of highly drafted QB’s I’m not touching either at 2 if I’m JD. As a fan I’d love throwing QB prospects at the wall until one sticks but those aren’t guys you’re willing to gamble your job on that high in the draft. I’d be pretty stunned if he’s got enough conviction to take either guy and I’d hope they actually build everything they do around developing the QB for once if he does take one.

I still think Trey Lance later is the most Ravens, Ozzie Newsome move if he slides a little. Traded down and then up again for Flacco I think and up for Jackson. Big tools guys, not big time talent at their colleges, second half of the first round. Would be awesome if Jones leapfrogs him for QB4.

You almost have to feel bad for some of these personnel guys trying to figure out these QB evaluations now. It seems like they’ve been missing so hard the past five years or so and all the traditional variables have to be thrown out. I feel like I’d hire a Lincoln Riley type to come in for a weekend and consult on this group of QBs because clearly the existing QB scouting philosophies aren’t that useful anymore. 

49 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Yep. Same boat here. Sticking with Sam is not a "safe decision", it's actually very risky. He's the only one that we have 3 seasons worth of data at the pro level where he's been a failure. Saying that he'll succeed with better talent around him is projecting based off of gut feel that directly contradicts the most reliable data. 

My personal preference is:

1) Trade for Watson. 

2) Draft Fields at 2.

3) Draft Wilson at 2. 

4)Trade down, sign Winston and make him and Sam compete in a non-rigged competition. 

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

I just think propping up Darnold is a lost cause and would be the move of someone destined to fail.   Denying truth for hope and putting the team/fans through it, IMO, is 100X worse then swinging and missing on a QB.  It's 2017 all over again.  

Personally, I'd rather have a GM with the courage to be bold then a coward afraid to make a mistake.  Otherwise, you end up like the Colts.  Great team going nowhere because the GM is too cowardly to draft a QB high because he doesnt want to lose his job.  Which is cool if you're the GM, sucks if you're a Colts fan.  They will be a middling franchise never good enough and the person to blame?  Chris Ballard

I don’t see at as “sticking with Sam” as much as it is not throwing in your chips with Fields or Wilson, both of whom seem, to me, to be underwhelming prospects. I don’t think you’re giving Sam a chance as much as you’re buying time while accumulating resources, after which you make your move for a QB, presuming Watson doesn’t happen.

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If Douglas trades for Watson and still can't build a winner he'll be fired . Building with a young QB gives him insulation for a few years at minimum,.

But I feel like building a winner around an established young QB is easier than building a winner around a rookie with a lot of warts.