Does anyone else want Justin Fields?

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

Coach Saleh says it every time we hear from him THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS

How is spending your available draft/cap space assets a "shortcut"?

I keep hearing this, and I've yet to hear it explained in any kind of rational way.

It seemingly boils down to "any FA is a shortcut, any trade is a shortcut, andy draft pick we don't like is a shortcut, so none of them will happen".

It's exceedingly questionable logic tbqh.

• Upvote 2

Amazing how him sh tting himself against Alabama silenced his fan club

Yup.

If people are making decisions to draft someone based off two games then obviously there is a reason they are an armchair GM. It’s almost like if Fields were not healthy enough to play the Championship game then his game vs Clemson would have people saying he may be as good as Lawrence, draft him!! Lose the Championship game and it’s a no way, draft Wilson or trade down.

We have a new coaching staff with a GM finally putting a stamp on this team. They have a blank canvas with a new system. I am going to trust them to make what they believe is the best decision for the team at QB even if they don’t choose the one I prefer.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Watch the Zach Wilson taps vs Washington in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since that post, I've watched 4 games and since he has more then 2020, I went back to 19.  I watched Washington and San Diego St. and you watch that film and I wouldnt touch him with a 10 foot pole. He was awful in 19. Awful.

I then watched Houston, his stat line was ridiculous.  You watch the game, he probably threw 5 picks that the D dropped.  So then I watched San Diego St. this year, again, another hot stat line but you break it down snap by snap and I confidently want nothing to do with Zach Wilson.  He's going to be a disaster in the NFL.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Since that post, I've watched 4 games and since he has more then 2020, I went back to 19.  I watched Washington and San Diego St. and you watch that film and I wouldnt touch him with a 10 foot pole. He was awful in 19. Awful.

I then watched Houston, his stat line was ridiculous.  You watch the game, he probably threw 5 picks that the D dropped.  So then I watched San Diego St. this year, again, another hot stat line but you break it down snap by snap and I confidently want nothing to do with Zach Wilson.  He's going to be a disaster in the NFL.  

I remember PFF saying Wilson had only 3 interceptable passes all year. I then watched the Houston tape and he had 4-5 in just that game.

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

look at Kiper's Mock, look at McShay's mock, neither man has a QB going 2 either by trade or whatever

Jets fans have not gotten over the loss of Trevor, and are rebounding hard in every direction 

Wilson and Fields are interesting prospects... if they make it to 23

the internet has wildly overrated both men based on need

they are each flawed, and blatant reaches at 2 overall, and JD isn't going to reach so it's not really worth everyone's brainpower debating it 

JD is going to take value at the top of the draft, as he should. It might be Smith, Chase or Sewell. It might be that trade down everyone wants and then they take the QB. 

people talk crap about Mac but Quinnen at 3 was in fact the right move. they didn't need to reach for Josh Allen DE or whatever. The draft at the top end offers you players and you take what's offered

reaching at 2 for either of these players is a bad idea, borne out of desperation 

^^^^ once said Watson was undraftable. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

How did Wilson play against Alabama?

Oh, right.

He was too busy playing powerhouses like North Alabama to bother playing a creampuff like Alabama.

Surprised BYU didn't play Utah Barber College this year, I hear they were a real tough opponent too.

Yeah but their hair cuts were fierce ?

• Haha 1

How is spending your available draft/cap space assets a "shortcut"?

I keep hearing this, and I've yet to hear it explained in any kind of rational way.

It seemingly boils down to "any FA is a shortcut, any trade is a shortcut, andy draft pick we don't like is a shortcut, so none of them will happen".

It's exceedingly questionable logic tbqh.

The rational explanation is every free agent that they've signed in the last decade. Past performance and all but if the only reason to sign with a 2 win team is money, they should not sign that player. If putting all the draft eggs in the qb basket was smart, darnold might be a better player right now. 

Not every single route is a short cut but this roster is so terrible, and building through the draft so painstaking, it's actually going to take more than one offseason to fix. It's almost unfair to subject a fields or wilson to what this offense is going to be like 

I know that goes against my "there's no rebuilding in the NFL only reloading" philosophy, but this is state of the roster. 2 good players in Becton and QW. End of list. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The rational explanation is every free agent that they've signed in the last decade. Past performance and all but if the only reason to sign with a 2 win team is money, they should not sign that player. If putting all the draft eggs in the qb basket was smart, darnold might be a better player right now. 

Not every single route is a short cut but this roster is so terrible, and building through the draft so painstaking, it's actually going to take more than one offseason to fix. It's almost unfair to subject a fields or wilson to what this offense is going to be like 

I know that goes against my "there's no rebuilding in the NFL only reloading" philosophy, but this is state of the roster. 2 good players in Becton and QW. End of list. 

Still have to try, still have to spend your assets.  I see neither FA's nor Draft picks as "shortcuts", and I see no reason/argument as to why Saleh (and more importantly Douglas) won't choose to use those assets this offseason.

4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Mac and the Bowles/Gase experience made me stop posting or looking at this site for several years. Not out of protest but just lack of interest. Like not eating when you're sick. Keep in mind I had been on JI/JN for prob a decade before that. 

Last season I casually followed from a far and then the draft happened. Douglas started making all these trades, collecting extra picks everywhere he could. Then The Adams thing. Then the way he let go of the bad contracts one by one. 

I looked at all these moves - and it just sucked me back in. He has a-lot to prove these next two offseasons but Douglas to this point is looking like the Becton or Quinnen Williams of GM's. All types of potential with top 5 upside. First GM we have ever had that I can say in certain situations - He is too smart to do certain things and clearly has a long term plan. 

I completely understand.  I stopped writing the film breakdowns because in the end, I was like "What's the point?".  The offense sucked under Bowles, and then Gase.  They never did anything interesting in the draft, always felt it was a dumb defensive move when the league was completely geared towards the offense.  It used to take me about 4 hours or so (mostly at night, so like 11-3 am) to break it down, and then I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  

I loved the draft, not even for the results but the methodology.  He didn't trade up for an OL because he correctly surmised that one of them would fall to the Jets (and eventually 2 did).  I know Thomas had his struggles this year, but I still believe in him.  All of the others were very good.  He traded down with receivers in the draft, which meant he understood value.  If there are a few guys rated similarly, I'd rather he trade back for assets than just take the best guy there.  

He also followed (a somewhat contested theory here) my line of thinking with picking a backup QB in the middle rounds, with upside.  I love the idea of picking a raw but high upside QB in the middle rounds because your team is screwed most likely if your backup QB has to play.  Even with the good teams, if Wilson/Rodgers/Brady/Watson/Mahomes/Stafford go down, you are basically just praying to survive.  I'd like the idea of trying to harness potential, by giving a QB the chance to learn while being a backup.  The big criteria for me is that I don't want a guy like Fromm who is essentially capped as backup, but take a swing for the fences.  More times than not, you'll miss, but I like the philosophy.  

I thought the Adams saga was handled exceptionally well.  McCagnan basically had a similar situation where Wilkerson tested him when he was just hired as GM I believe.  Essentially the star defensive guy (after breaking his leg) tested out the new GM and McCagnan caved in.  In fact, that was my biggest gripe with him as GM, the players seemed to get the contracts they wanted.  Douglas played it much better and realized it made more sense to move Adams, even though he was young, because the team had too many holes to pay CB money to a S/LB.  

I agree, he's been a good GM and he seems to have a long term plan that builds the team correctly.  A good example of that now?  No one knows for sure if the Jets will trade for a QB, draft a QB, keep Darnold or trade Darnold.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Oh, right.

He was too busy playing powerhouses like North Alabama to bother playing a creampuff like Alabama.

Surprised BYU didn't play Utah Barber College this year, I hear they were a real tough opponent too.

And Fields had to play Bama with busted ribs, on top of that.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Oh, right.

I don’t like Wilson either snowflake

Still have to try, still have to spend your assets.  I see neither FA's nor Draft picks as "shortcuts", and I see no reason/argument as to why Saleh (and more importantly Douglas) won't choose to use those assets this offseason.

They will sign former niners and others who fit the system but no big big fa moves... Defined as 15 mil plus Jamal Adams territory. It's not going to happen. Let alone 3 of those guys. 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

They will sign former niners and others who fit the system but no big big fa moves... Defined as 15 mil plus Jamal Adams territory. It's not going to happen. Let alone 3 of those guys. 

Perhaps not. 

That doesn't mean a big FA signing would be "shortcuts" Bit.  That's just silly.

Now, if we trade away all our picks, and sign nothing but 35 year old "name" Veterans, THAT would be trying to shortcut things.

Trading for a 25 year old QB or a legit #1 WR, not so much.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 2/2/2021 at 5:06 PM, Grandy said:

It seems like what works the most currently is taking the guy with the most natural talent and upside.

The top 6 QB's drafted in the last 5 years are Watson, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Murray and Jackson. Only 1 of them was a top 5 pick because there were concerns about them being "raw" or a "system qb". 

Each one of those top guys has either:

A. Great mobility, 

B. An absolute cannon 

C. Both 

Even though I'm not sold on them yet, Fields and Lance fit the mold of those 6 guys the closest. The biggest factor in their success is drive/work ethic, and good coaching. The interview and possible workout process is going to be so essential if we don't solve our ? at QB with Watson. 

Great points. I'd add durability to that too.

As far as I'm concerned, give me the best athlete at the QB position. Fields is that guy.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Trading for a 25 year old QB or a legit #1 WR, not so much.

Considering all the other holes on the roster, both moves would be irresponsible 

The thing about free agents and trades is the really great ones never leave town. Until they are almost done like Brady maybe. Watson is good but if he gets traded that means he's not as elite as we thought 

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Considering all the other holes on the roster, both moves would be irresponsible 

I completely disagree with this line of thinking. 

Taking this tack is basically an extremist "only draft picks are allowed", and that's just dumb.

If you can improve your team with young, high-quality assets, you do it, regardless of it being draft or a free agent.

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The thing about free agents and trades is the really great ones never leave town. Until they are almost done like Brady maybe. Watson is good but if he gets traded that means he's not as elite as we thought 

This is a no true Scotsman argument. 

It basically presupposes that any FA that hits the market, and hence we could sign, must by default be a horrible player.  

For a man who has railed endlessly about the Johnsons not spending cap to improve the team, you're 180 turn to "spend nothing" is so odd.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

For a man who has railed endlessly about the Johnsons not spending cap to improve the team, you're 180 turn to "spend nothing" is so odd.

The proper way to spend cap is on resigning current assets. Robby for example. Not on splashy trumaine Johnson style free agents. 

When has signing expensive free agents worked out for this team? Honest question 

The Jets have no one worth extending at the moment so yeah they need to build through the draft 

2 hours ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

Fields seems like a great athlete, but doesn't strike me as the cerebral type, which gives me great concern about his ability to adapt to NFL coverages. I would much rather have a scrappy gunslinger like Wilson who you know will leave it all out on the field every game

Fields got accepted to Harvard, Yale and northwestern. He's smarter than wilson. At least book smarter. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The proper way to spend cap is on resigning current assets. Robby for example. Not on splashy trumaine Johnson style free agents. 

When has signing expensive free agents worked out for this team? Honest question 

The Jets have no one worth extending at the moment so yeah they need to build through the draft 

This is the line of thinking that almost had me believing that the smart move was signing mid-level up and comers like Justin McCareins! 

When has it worked out?  Faneca? Curtis Martin? Bart Scott?  When have they ever won sh*t without them? 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Yeah, I was gonna have to ask you. I think that was the year my prop action dried up because I don't remember anything besides getting the text on Adams.

If I remember correctly, it came out later that the only QB Maccagnan would have taken at 6 was Trubisky. 

" userid="31705"] Fields seems like a great athlete, but doesn't strike me as the cerebral type, which gives me great concern about his ability to adapt to NFL coverages. I would much rather have a scrappy gunslinger like Wilson who you know will leave it all out on the field every game

Fields got offered by Harvard and had a 3.9GPA, I don’t have any concerns about his mental ability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

Fields seems like a great athlete, but doesn't strike me as the cerebral type, which gives me great concern about his ability to adapt to NFL coverages. I would much rather have a scrappy gunslinger like Wilson who you know will leave it all out on the field every game

Sure looked to me like Fields left it all out on the field in the Clemson game.  He probably shouldn't have been out there at all and still lit it up while barely being able to move.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1