Does anyone else want Justin Fields?

I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't say anything completely stupid in that thread.  Usually there is at least one thing that is cringeworthy.  I tend not to "go on the record" about QBs because I never trust them and I'm not a huge evaluator.  I did get caught saying something like "Mahomes seems like a nice project."  That certainly did not age well, but he did sit a year and most of my post had to do with my despising people claiming a QB was moving DBs with their eyes.  I hate that sh*t.  No DB is actually seeing the guys eyes.  You can see their hips open and maybe which way their helmet is pointed.  My comments about Darnold and WIlson apply to Watson regarding having a BIG arm, but Watson certainly checked more boxes.  

6 hours ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

Fields seems like a great athlete, but doesn't strike me as the cerebral type, which gives me great concern about his ability to adapt to NFL coverages. I would much rather have a scrappy gunslinger like Wilson who you know will leave it all out on the field every game

What are you basing that analysis off of . There are many myths about Fields that have been pretty much disproved , yet I keep seeing the same claims thrown around time and time again. 

On 2/3/2021 at 10:12 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

And Fields had to play Bama with busted ribs, on top of that.  

It's incredible just how often this is never acknowledged - which is deserving of a social/industry case study, given that prior to that game, he was being talked about as TL's rival after the Clemons beatdown.

Totally fcked. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't say anything completely stupid in that thread.  Usually there is at least one thing that is cringeworthy.  I tend not to "go on the record" about QBs because I never trust them and I'm not a huge evaluator.  I did get caught saying something like "Mahomes seems like a nice project."  That certainly did not age well, but he did sit a year and most of my post had to do with my despising people claiming a QB was moving DBs with their eyes.  I hate that sh*t.  No DB is actually seeing the guys eyes.  You can see their hips open and maybe which way their helmet is pointed.  My comments about Darnold and WIlson apply to Watson regarding having a BIG arm, but Watson certainly checked more boxes.  

I said similar things. I don't know if "didn't age well" is the right way to say it. I mean, we're not interviewing these kids. Or sitting down with them on the white board. How could you know? (this is what i tell myself lol)... for real though. 1/2 of Mahomes tape at Texas tech totally waste bucket material for the NFL. Would never work. That was my thing - how can i trust this kid?... Sometimes i guess you need to just believe. Thats how i feel about Justin Fields.

Trubisky and Kizer - no excuses for those that stood behind that trash. They are who I/others thought they were. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I said similar things. I don't know if "didn't age well" is the right way to say it. I mean, we're not interviewing these kids. Or sitting down with them on the white board. How could you know? (this is what i tell myself lol)... for real though. 1/2 of Mahomes tape at Texas tech totally waste bucket material for the NFL. Would never work. That was my thing - how can i trust this kid?... Sometimes i guess you need to just believe. Thats how i feel about Justin Fields.

Trubisky and Kizer - no excuses for those that stood behind that trash. They are who I/others thought they were. 

I assume you believe in Fields and would take him at 2 then (over other prospects)? or would you prefer to trade down and punt QB for the future? 

His development is in a pretty good trajectory thus far I think (TL also had some bumps in the road last year and bounced back nicely).  Yes, he had a few down games but it was an unusual year.  I am a believer in Fields.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I assume you believe in Fields and would take him at 2 then (over other prospects)? or would you prefer to trade down and punt QB for the future? 

His development is in a pretty good trajectory thus far I think (TL also had some bumps in the road last year and bounced back nicely).  Yes, he had a few down games but it was an unusual year.  I am a believer in Fields.

I think i love the idea of trading down more than i love the idea of punting the problem a calendar year...

And because of that, i have hard suggesting with confidence not to take a QB at #2... I mean, i have some ideas of how to have my cake and eat it too (trade down and still address QB situation)... but that's all they are; hopeful ideas... If my name has GM next to it and the future of the franchise hangs on that decision... I gotta go with Fields who i think is the guy who stood on his head at the Sugar Bowl. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/3/2021 at 8:57 AM, JiF said:

Since that post, I've watched 4 games and since he has more then 2020, I went back to 19.  I watched Washington and San Diego St. and you watch that film and I wouldnt touch him with a 10 foot pole. He was awful in 19. Awful.

I then watched Houston, his stat line was ridiculous.  You watch the game, he probably threw 5 picks that the D dropped.  So then I watched San Diego St. this year, again, another hot stat line but you break it down snap by snap and I confidently want nothing to do with Zach Wilson.  He's going to be a disaster in the NFL.  

The difference between Wilson’s performance against San Diego State in 2019 and 2020 is why I feel confident in his ability. The performances are night and day in terms of arm strength, decision making and difficulty of throw. He threw 9 Incompletions including 3 throwaways. The guy improved, after a bad year sandwiched between two good years.

Against Houston there were maybe 2 interceptable balls thrown. Idk where you got 5. 

Im good with Wilson or Fields, they’re both gonna be better than Lawrence.

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think i love the idea of trading down more than i love the idea of punting the problem a calendar year...

And because of that, i have hard suggesting with confidence not to take a QB at #2... I mean, i have some ideas of how to have my cake and eat it too (trade down and still address QB situation)... but that's all they are; hopeful ideas... If my name has GM next to it and the future of the franchise hangs on that decision... I gotta go with Fields who i think is the guy who stood on his head at the Sugar Bowl. 

My concern with Fields is that legitimately there were only 3 games in his career where the talent level between his opponent and his team were equal. He sucked in 2 of them. He also punched down to level of Indiana and Northwestern. 

I’d still take him at two with the only hesitation being whether or not I like him over Wilson. 

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

My concern with Fields is that legitimately there were only 3 games in his career where the talent level between his opponent and his team were equal. He sucked in 2 of them. He also punched down to level of Indiana and Northwestern. 

I’d still take him at two with the only hesitation being whether or not I like him over Wilson. 

elaborate. Which 2? Throw out the alabama tape. Flush it. he shouldn't even been playing with his health being what it was

TL Got stood up back to back years in the playoffs. No one's talking about that. Why is the margin for Fields so thin?

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

sounds like he'd be a perfect jet

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's been really hard for me to figure out what I think the best course of action at QB is.  I think that the "no-brainers" were/are Lawrence and a non-crippling trade for Watson.  But, the Lawrence ship has sailed and Houston may never make Watson available, so I'm having real trouble deciding on the best Plan B (C?).  The 'Fields', 'Wilson', and 'rehabilitate Sam + trade down for more picks' options all have their merits...and drawbacks.  And, like you, I think that trading down and still drafting a QB like Fields, if he drops, or Lance is intriguing also.  Depending on what I read or think about, I get excited about any of those possibilities and so I'm wildly inconsistent with what my first choice would be. 

I guess the good news this time around is that all of these options have exciting upsides.  So, in theory, we could potentially do well with any of them.  It sure beats trying to decide between Mark Sanchez, Drew Stanton, and Tim Tebow.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

elaborate. Which 2? Throw out the alabama tape. Flush it. he shouldn't even been playing with his health being what it was

TL Got stood up back to back years in the playoffs. No one's talking about that. Why is the margin for Fields so thin?

Against Clemson in 2019. If you wanna flush the game against Bama that’s fine then he’s 50-50 in games where talent level is equal with his own personal performance going from really bad to really good. 

I don’t give Lawrence a pass. He’s super flawed and punches down just as much as Fields. I think Wilson and Fields are gonna be better than Lawrence.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That's what I don't understand either and never had.  Lawrence had a great game against Bama his Freshman year and was mediocre at best, bad at worst against any competition that had was in Clemson's league, but no one holds that again at him but it's usually the 1st thing mentioned.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I thin trading down and still getting a QB is ideal as you put it, but it may also mean they don't love any of the QBs (since trading down means they are not afraid losing them) and raises questions about whether it is wise to invest at QB at that point then, since you are drafting whoever is left and letting others make the decision for you.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Against Clemson in 2019. If you wanna flush the game against Bama that’s fine then he’s 50-50 in games where talent level is equal with his own personal performance going from really bad to really good. 

I don’t give Lawrence a pass. He’s super flawed and punches down just as much as Fields. I think Wilson and Fields are gonna be better than Lawrence.

Fair enough.... i think he flashes enough for me to say - "this guy stands as good a chance to be great as can reasonably be expected".... I mean, i don't know any QB in College, no matter how great the prospect, who didn't take a few on the chin. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Funny, if you are going with athletic ability and a prayer, I am more with Lance.  Something about Lance seems more comfortable to me.  Fields seems physcially excellent and his arm meets my desire, but something about him seems more Kaepernick than Roethlisberger to me.  He can run and he can throw, but is he a quarterback?  Of course my view it almost completely tainted because the only games I watched him play live were Northwestern, Clemson and Alabama.  I know he was hurt, but he didn't make my heart all fluttery.  I probably saw him play some in 2019, but I tend to block out guys that aren't heading to the draft and always forget who demolished RU.  It's like the games never happened. 

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's what I don't understand either and never had.  Lawrence had a great game against Bama his Freshman year and was mediocre at best, bad at worst against any competition that had was in Clemson's league, but no one holds that again at him but it's usually the 1st thing mentioned.

exactly. He's played from behind how many times since that fabled freshman year?... with lots of spotty moments in his sophmore year. I don't know how the hype got so wildly out of control. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He arguably played better than Lawrence is the 2019 Clemson game , He passed for 320 yards and had the team 25 yards away from the win but threw a pick in the EZ with under a minute to play. If you want to point fingers in that game it should be on OSU's D which gave up drives of 75,83,94 and 99 yards

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He arguably played better than Lawrence is the 2019 Clemson game , He passed for 320 yards and had the team 25 yards away from the win but threw a pick in the EZ with under a minute to play. If you want to point fingers in that game it should be on OSU's D which gave up drives of 75,83,94 and 99 yards

“Threw a pick in the EZ”

Also the OSU defense ate up Lawrence throughout the first half. If Fields had put up anything of substance they would’ve buried Clemson. He didn’t and then Lawrence used his feet to pull his team up. 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

The difference between Wilson’s performance against San Diego State in 2019 and 2020 is why I feel confident in his ability. The performances are night and day in terms of arm strength, decision making and difficulty of throw. He threw 9 Incompletions including 3 throwaways. The guy improved, after a bad year sandwiched between two good years.

Against Houston there were maybe 2 interceptable balls thrown. Idk where you got 5. 

Im good with Wilson or Fields, they’re both gonna be better than Lawrence.

Definitely give him credit for improving, he was atrocious last year.

You love him so your biased but he throws a lot of balls that vs. good competition, have very very little odds of completion.  Windows that arent there or close much faster vs. real comp.  So some balls he completes, I think are picked vs. a good D.  I counted 2-3 of those in addition to the blatant ones.  He scares me, a lot.  So much stuff I dont like about his game.  I dont see it translating and I dont want Zach Wilson, at all but I've been wrong before.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

“Threw a pick in the EZ”

Also the OSU defense ate up Lawrence throughout the first half. If Fields had put up anything of substance they would’ve buried Clemson. He didn’t and then Lawrence used his feet to pull his team up. 

Again 320 yards and a TD against a very good Clemson D and they had a chance to win the game . This is not like sh*tting the bed against New Mexico St . People for some reason have made up crap about Fields forever but have made Wilson sound like the second coming of Steve Young. 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Definitely give him credit for improving, he was atrocious last year.

You love him so your biased but he throws a lot of balls that vs. good competition, have very very little odds of completion.  Windows that arent there or close much faster vs. real comp.  So some balls he completes, I think are picked vs. a good D.  I counted 2-3 of those in addition to the blatant ones.  He scares me, a lot.  So much stuff I dont like about his game.  I dont see it translating and I dont want Zach Wilson, at all but I've been wrong before.

I'm not gonna blame him for completing passes in tight windows repeatedly. He does it a lot and it hasn't bitten him on the ass yet. Is it a risk? Probably but at some point you just have to take it at face value and say "Damn, he might just be good enough to make that throw." You want me to hold against him that his receivers aren't good enough to get wide open like Olave, Wilson, Rodgers, Powell? I can't buy that analysis, it is a roundabout way of discrediting him. 

28 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Again 320 yards and a TD against a very good Clemson D and they had a chance to win the game . This is not like sh*tting the bed against New Mexico St . People for some reason have made up crap about Fields forever but have made Wilson sound like the second coming of Steve Young. 

Clemson's D that year was in rebuild. It wasn't a great defense. However, Fields was bad. He threw 2 INTs. He took a lot of sacks. He should've thrown 5 INTs, and I don't mean that he completed passes in tight windows, I mean he legitimately hit CBs in the hands. He had the support of 174 yards from JK Dobbins and yet he couldn't put away Clemson who was struggling. Second half Clemson sold out to stop Dobbins and Fields wilted. It was a bad game but clearly he got better from it. I like Fields, if we take Fields at 2, I'm jumping for joy but I'm not gonna ignore the bad evidence just because I like him as a prospect. 

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I'm not gonna blame him for completing passes in tight windows repeatedly. He does it a lot and it hasn't bitten him on the ass yet. Is it a risk? Probably but at some point you just have to take it at face value and say "Damn, he might just be good enough to make that throw." You want me to hold against him that his receivers aren't good enough to get wide open like Olave, Wilson, Rodgers, Powell? I can't buy that analysis, it is a roundabout way of discrediting him. 

Clemson's D that year was in rebuild. It wasn't a great defense. However, Fields was bad. He threw 2 INTs. He took a lot of sacks. He should've thrown 5 INTs, and I don't mean that he completed passes in tight windows, I mean he legitimately hit CBs in the hands. He had the support of 174 yards from JK Dobbins and yet he couldn't put away Clemson who was struggling. Second half Clemson sold out to stop Dobbins and Fields wilted. It was a bad game but clearly he got better from it. I like Fields, if we take Fields at 2, I'm jumping for joy but I'm not gonna ignore the bad evidence just because I like him as a prospect. 

What QB doesn't have bad games though? Honestly. Really think about that. Who's resume comes out of college stating "From the time i was 18 years old, i was a fcking boss" 

The body of work w/ Fields is overwhelmingly good. He made strides when he needed to, has learned from weak spots and showed up in big way vs Clemson, putting the whole team on his back and rewrote one of those blemishes. Bigger man on a bigger stage (vs Wilson). 

Fields just feels like someone who will *probably* continue that arc in the NFL

• Upvote 1

I also have to admit -- colouring this whole experience for me is my desire to grow my own crops. 

Yes Watson is a safer bet (like totally)...  but I can't lie and tell you'd rather have him than Fields - if you assume Fields works out.

I don't want the SB Jets team that will always been known as "as soon as they acquired Watson..."  or "...if not for Watson...."

I want to pick our guy. Develop our Guy. And win with our guy... i want that to be story.

(and yes i know some of you are almost dead and don't care anymore)

• Upvote 2

I wanted to add, I did part of the film review on the Clemson/OSU game from last year (the first time they met) and Fields was the better QB on the field.  They were about 2-3 calls away from being up 30-7 at halftime in that game, instead of 16-14.  Losing Wade with the targeting call, especially when facing two NFL caliber WRs in Higgins/Ross, put a hamper in that defense (which was great nonetheless).  But Fields played better than Lawrence in both matchups.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

What QB doesn't have bad games though? Honestly. Really think about that. Who's resume comes out of college stating "From the time i was 18 years old, i was a fcking boss" 

The body of work w/ Fields is overwhelmingly good. He made strides when he needed to, has learned from weak spots and showed up in big way vs Clemson, putting the whole team on his back and rewrote one of those blemishes. Bigger man on a bigger stage (vs Wilson). 

Fields just feels like someone who will *probably* continue that arc in the NFL

Yeah which is why I really like Fields. Fields had a bad game against Clemson in the first try and I give him all the credit in the world for improving for the second meeting. However, if you look at that first game it sets the stage for his struggles against Indiana and Northwestern. Susceptible to the blitz, struggle to find smaller windows downfield, bad internal clock, all of these show up in his bad tape and in his good tape. To make things even more worthy of a red flag, advanced stats show that when blitzed he holds the ball longer than when he's not blitzed. That trait jives with any concern people have of him. Also he's 50/50 in games where his team and the opposing team have similar talent levels.  Does any of that mean he's bad? Of course not, Fields is a specimen with a big arm and a slick attitude. He takes risks without being risky and owns the Ryan Day system to max efficiency. He's accurate, smart, big and athletic. 

The same thing goes for Wilson. His 2019 tape against Hawaii and Washington is terrible. His tape against USC and Tennessee in 2019 is better. I don't discard that. Fast forward to 2020 and against San Diego State he improves drastically. He gives a top defense in Coastal Carolina fits on 3 days of prep. The dude has the traits and he has the performances on a BYU offense sending maybe 2 guys to the pros besides him. So yes, I worry that the kid didn't get a game against a power 5 team this year. I would've loved to see him play Cincinnati, but it didn't happen. What did happen is that he massacred UCF on national TV. A UCF team that lost by 3 to Cincinnati. Wilson is athletic, has a great arm, put up insane stats on downfield throws, and took shots all season on his repaired shoulder. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I wanted to add, I did part of the film review on the Clemson/OSU game from last year (the first time they met) and Fields was the better QB on the field.  They were about 2-3 calls away from being up 30-7 at halftime in that game, instead of 16-14.  Losing Wade with the targeting call, especially when facing two NFL caliber WRs in Higgins/Ross, put a hamper in that defense (which was great nonetheless).  But Fields played better than Lawrence in both matchups.  

100% agree. But Lawrence was brutal that game until he broke it open with his legs. Lawrence has been the worst QB in every playoff game he's played since his sophomore year. He also punches down to VA Tech and Syracuse. The dude has form and accuracy issues and that really come out when playing against good defenses. 

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah which is why I really like Fields. Fields had a bad game against Clemson in the first try and I give him all the credit in the world for improving for the second meeting. However, if you look at that first game it sets the stage for his struggles against Indiana and Northwestern. Susceptible to the blitz, struggle to find smaller windows downfield, bad internal clock, all of these show up in his bad tape and in his good tape. To make things even more worthy of a red flag, advanced stats show that when blitzed he holds the ball longer than when he's not blitzed. That trait jives with any concern people have of him. Also he's 50/50 in games where his team and the opposing team have similar talent levels.  Does any of that mean he's bad? Of course not, Fields is a specimen with a big arm and a slick attitude. He takes risks without being risky and owns the Ryan Day system to max efficiency. He's accurate, smart, big and athletic. 

When getting that myopic - i have to differ to JD and his team asking him questions in person and on the white board. how does he respond to those tendencies. Discuss how to fix those and feel out that conversation. how much awareness does he show? Does he pick apart the play the same way JD did? Etc etc... Have to differ to them at that level and hope for the best. 

Just now, Paradis said:

When getting that myopic - i have to differ to JD and his team asking him questions in person and on the white board. how does he respond to those tendencies. Discuss how to fix those and feel out that conversation. how much awareness does he show? Does he pick apart the play the same way JD did? Etc etc... Have to differ to them at that level and hope for the best. 

Honestly, in my mind there is no wrong choice between Wilson and Fields. However, Fields gives you the ability to build around his natural talents while you iron out the kinks. Plus Ohio State added more plays under center this season so Fields is way more adjusted to outside zone play than people give him credit for. Fields allows you to have QB runs as a part of the gameplan as an ace in the hole. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 2/2/2021 at 12:31 AM, GodDamnSnack said:

I feel like every thread is about Zach Wilson, Deshaun Watson or trading down. I think Fields is a terrific player and that he has a real shot at becoming a star in the league, if he's well supported. He seems to have a winner's edge to him and a lot of tools he can rely on. 

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind and I don't want to spend the next several pages arguing on how good of a prospect he is. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks choosing Fields is a solid move for the franchise at qb, like I do. 

i want !..

trevor-lawrence-jets-tanking-draft.jpg?q

?

43 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

100% agree. But Lawrence was brutal that game until he broke it open with his legs. Lawrence has been the worst QB in every playoff game he's played since his sophomore year. He also punches down to VA Tech and Syracuse. The dude has form and accuracy issues and that really come out when playing against good defenses. 

Did he really play that well in the championship?  He makes some nice throws for sure. especially the one handed catch by Ross down the sideline, but I see a bunch of misses as well.  Even some completions were bad (like the second one handed catch by Ross) but I wanted to highlight a crossing route to Higgins on 3rd down.  He's in a clean pocket, and he backs away, and throws a shallow crossing route from a mesh concept to wide open Higgins and he runs for 1st down.  This is the exact type of issue Darnold faces, where he runs out of a clean pocket into pressure.  When he backed out of that pocket, he basically dwindled his options to one, because it was Higgins or a sack.  

I'm not saying he's bad, again, I have him rated higher than Fields, but he's not a generational guy like the media is projecting him because I see plenty of flaws when he's up against good defenses.  

I think the biggest reason OSU lost the first semi-final is they went conservative with the lead.  Their entire offense is based on pushing the ball down the field, and they took the gas off the pedal, and they slowed down the game in the second half.  This year, they didn't let up at all.  

Again, I don't want to come off as saying Fields is better than Lawrence, but on the field, Fields has outshined him in the big games.  

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

Did he really play that well in the championship?  He makes some nice throws for sure. especially the one handed catch by Ross down the sideline, but I see a bunch of misses as well.  Even some completions were bad (like the second one handed catch by Ross) but I wanted to highlight a crossing route to Higgins on 3rd down.  He's in a clean pocket, and he backs away, and throws a shallow crossing route from a mesh concept to wide open Higgins and he runs for 1st down.  This is the exact type of issue Darnold faces, where he runs out of a clean pocket into pressure.  When he backed out of that pocket, he basically dwindled his options to one, because it was Higgins or a sack.  

I'm not saying he's bad, again, I have him rated higher than Fields, but he's not a generational guy like the media is projecting him because I see plenty of flaws when he's up against good defenses.  

I think the biggest reason OSU lost the first semi-final is they went conservative with the lead.  Their entire offense is based on pushing the ball down the field, and they took the gas off the pedal, and they slowed down the game in the second half.  This year, they didn't let up at all.  

Again, I don't want to come off as saying Fields is better than Lawrence, but on the field, Fields has outshined him in the big games.  

The TD throw on the post at the end of the 3rd quarter was the throw that made me say “wow” in real time. I remember watching that and thinking I was watching something special.

I like Lawrence but I do believe that Fields and Wilson will be better. He’s probably the least accurate of the three, and unless he sets his feet has the weakest arm (All 3 have more that enough arm strength). He also had the most screen yards of the 3 QBs. I think he’s a safe pick but I don’t think he’s miles ahead of Fields or Wilson.