Does anyone else want Justin Fields?

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

I also have to admit -- colouring this whole experience for me is my desire to grow my own crops. 

Yes Watson is a safer bet (like totally)...  but I can't lie and tell you'd rather have him than Fields - if you assume Fields works out.

I don't want the SB Jets team that will always been known as "as soon as they acquired Watson..."  or "...if not for Watson...."

I want to pick our guy. Develop our Guy. And win with our guy... i want that to be story.

(and yes i know some of you are almost dead and don't care anymore)

That's not just romanticism on your part, there is also the fact that the Jets would have a QB on his rookie salary for 4-5 years. With Watson, the Jets would be tight against the cap for a long time. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Against Clemson in 2019. If you wanna flush the game against Bama that’s fine then he’s 50-50 in games where talent level is equal with his own personal performance going from really bad to really good. 

I don’t give Lawrence a pass. He’s super flawed and punches down just as much as Fields. I think Wilson and Fields are gonna be better than Lawrence.

I guess the way I see it Wilson is a huge risk. If you want to see clunkers he has a ton in his tape from last year. Additionally he has medical concerns with the shoulders. You can argue his support was poor but how do you really know one way or their other. He’s a huge leap of faith at 2. Fields has two years of great performance and he played plenty of ranked teams. Just cause OSU throttled them all of a sudden they weren’t that good. Idk the whole argument him seems like a flawed one. Think he is solidly the number 2 QB and should be our pick. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TheMo said:

I guess the way I see it Wilson is a huge risk. If you want to see clunkers he has a ton in his tape from last year. Additionally he has medical concerns with the shoulders. You can argue his support was poor but how do you really know one way or their other. He’s a huge leap of faith at 2. Fields has two years of great performance and he played plenty of ranked teams. Just cause OSU throttled them all of a sudden they weren’t that good. Idk the whole argument him seems like a flawed one. Think he is solidly the number 2 QB and should be our pick. 

Wilson also has really good tape from his freshman year. He then has insanely good tape from his true junior year. I don't believe in weighing it too heavily against him if he improves. It's why he's there. Players develop and improve, ignoring that improvement is not great analysis. He doesn't have medical concerns with his shoulder. He had an injury, it was fixed and 2 years later he hasn't had another injury in that area. 

Fields has the benefit of being on 1 of 3 college teams that has shown itself to be a level above everyone else. Regardless of who they play Ohio State is levels above. Honestly, if you take Fields off those OSU teams you probably still have a top 5 team in college football, that's how great the talent discrepancy is. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Wilson also has really good tape from his freshman year. He then has insanely good tape from his true junior year. I don't believe in weighing it too heavily against him if he improves. It's why he's there. Players develop and improve, ignoring that improvement is not great analysis. He doesn't have medical concerns with his shoulder. He had an injury, it was fixed and 2 years later he hasn't had another injury in that area. 

Fields has the benefit of being on 1 of 3 college teams that has shown itself to be a level above everyone else. Regardless of who they play Ohio State is levels above. Honestly, if you take Fields off those OSU teams you probably still have a top 5 team in college football, that's how great the talent discrepancy is. 

Labral tears are ligamentous and definitely are weaker following repair. As opposed to skeletal injuries that return to full functionality upon healing typically. I guess the issue is speed and ability of the surrounding players. 

purposefully exaggerated example:

I look like a hall of fame QB playing against fellow doctors. I throw the ball with anticipation can beat the corners on out routes. I can evade guys in the pocket. All equal competition and I look great. Fast processing everything. Put me in the NFL and all of a sudden the windows are closing faster and I am getting less time to process. I probably look like crap. 

I don’t think the difference is obviously to that level for Wilson but it’s definitely a much bigger jump than fields playing against Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa who produce NFL caliber players regularly. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Labral tears are ligamentous and definitely are weaker following repair. As opposed to skeletal injuries that return to full functionality upon healing typically. I guess the issue is speed and ability of the surrounding players. 

I look like a hall of fame QB playing against fellow doctors. I throw the ball with anticipation can beat the corners on out routes. I can evade guys in the pocket. All equal competition and I look great. Fast processing everything. Put me in the NFL and all of a sudden the windows are closing faster and I am getting less time to process. I probably look like crap. 

I don’t think the difference is obviously to that level for Wilson but it’s definitely a much bigger jump than fields playing against Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa who produce NFL caliber players regularly. 

I agree that there is risk with Wilson. Fields is the easier choice to make. I think both are worthy of 2 and usually either is worthy of 1 overall.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I agree that there is risk with Wilson. Fields is the easier choice to make. I think both are worthy of 2 and usually either is worthy of 1 overall.

Agreed. I’ve become more aggressive because there are people literally saying he’sa guaranteed lock and that Fields is geno (a really awful lazy comparison in my eyes). Thank you for an actual engaging conversation. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

The TD throw on the post at the end of the 3rd quarter was the throw that made me say “wow” in real time. I remember watching that and thinking I was watching something special.

I like Lawrence but I do believe that Fields and Wilson will be better. He’s probably the least accurate of the three, and unless he sets his feet has the weakest arm (All 3 have more that enough arm strength). He also had the most screen yards of the 3 QBs. I think he’s a safe pick but I don’t think he’s miles ahead of Fields or Wilson. 

He makes some great throws, there are a few every game that you say, that's an NFL stud throw, but you can say the same about Darnold.  There are some throws that just make you go WOW, and then he makes the wrong read.  

I like Lawrence still at No. 1 because I think the biggest change from college to the NFL is reading defenses.  Lawrence has more control at the line than the others, so I think that helps his transition.  However, a lot of folks say the transition from OSU to the NFL will be horrible for Fields, fail to account for the transition from Clemson to the NFL as well.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheMo said:

I love this example.  I'm not sure which podcast in which I heard it, but it mentioned the swagger with which Wilson plays.  We see it with Mahomes, but we also saw it with Manziel.  In college, he can make the wrong reads work because his arm strength and ball placement is too much for the competition.  You put him in the NFL where defenders can make a play on the ball, and then how much does his swagger suffer?  If he's not confident out there, how much does it impact his game?  There was a play on some breakdown of him, where he looked to the right of the safety, and that guy completely ran to that side, abandoning his responsibility because that's the level of QBs those defenses are used to.  

I'll use the other side of your example.  When I was in high school playing intermural (we didn't have a football team, not that I would have made it anyway), I would play CB.  My plan was to always be one step behind the receiver, because I wanted the inside position on any slant, comeback or out route.  I was essentially giving up the deep route because I was betting the guy at QB was either going to overthrow the deep pass, or hang it enough that I can make up the step.  I feel like that's how some of these teams play defense, where they just aren't used to guys having this type of arm down the field.   

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

I love this example.  I'm not sure which podcast in which I heard it, but it mentioned the swagger with which Wilson plays.  We see it with Mahomes, but we also saw it with Manziel.  In college, he can make the wrong reads work because his arm strength and ball placement is too much for the competition.  You put him in the NFL where defenders can make a play on the ball, and then how much does his swagger suffer?  If he's not confident out there, how much does it impact his game?  There was a play on some breakdown of him, where he looked to the right of the safety, and that guy completely ran to that side, abandoning his responsibility because that's the level of QBs those defenses are used to.  

I'll use the other side of your example.  When I was in high school playing intermural (we didn't have a football team, not that I would have made it anyway), I would play CB.  My plan was to always be one step behind the receiver, because I wanted the inside position on any slant, comeback or out route.  I was essentially giving up the deep route because I was betting the guy at QB was either going to overthrow the deep pass, or hang it enough that I can make up the step.  I feel like that's how some of these teams play defense, where they just aren't used to guys having this type of arm down the field.   

But isn’t that a “doomed if you do, doomed if you don’t” situation? If he only throws to wide open guys against non Power 5 teams then he doesn’t make professional level throws. If he throws into tight windows it indicates that the CBs aren’t good enough? It ignores that Wilson is doing great things with his talent. 

Wentz and Carr came from similar situations and were immediate starters, I think Wilson can be prime Wentz minus throwing his body into people.

24 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You’re very pro-Wilson right?

yes ... i wouldn't say 'very'.... i'd say i like him more than Fields. Neither guy is a slam dunk.

I have been saying trade down and take Wilson if he is there .. before his stock started to climb.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I still think Fields is the safest (highest floor) option of the 2021 QBs. None of them really excites me. But, then again Burrows and Herbert didn’t excite me either. So, what do i know?

Neither does Sam, rather stick with him then any 2nd tier.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Other than Lawrence I cannot understand anyone getting excited about this QB draft class.  It’s putrid the worst in years

I actually don't understand the excitement about Lawrence. He is FAR from a lock in the NFL Do not see it with Fields at all. He seems very situationally unaware and slow to process. I think his bust potential is huge.