Acquire picks

Jimmywall

If Douglas pulls trigger on Watson. I’d love too see him keep the 23rd pick and trade 2023 1st round instead(if plans go well it will be a 23-32 pick). Trade 23rd 2021 too a team in the 35-40 range For 2nd round pick 2021 and 2022 2nd round. Trade Sam for a 2nd round pick this year. So our drafts next couple years still have depth. 5 2nd round  picks 2021-2022 can give us the depth necessary for joe too build a perennial winner. He could even trade a couple picks for additional picks in 4-5th rounders

I hear ya, but you also want to keep as much draft capital in the future as possible in case this trade goes wrong- Watson gets hurt, Jets end up losing a bunch of games, etc. You just don't know what will happen in 2023. The Jets could have a solid team but Watson (or a bunch of other players) could all get hurt THAT season -classic Jets luck- and they end up winning only a few games. OR maybe the whole thing- for whatever reason- just falls apart. 

My whole thing is, take the hit now and/or 2022 (when you have the 2 third rounders and 2 first rounders from the Seattle trade) and don't involve 2023. 

I think Houston wants Jets 1st and 2nd round picks in '21 and '22 as well as a couple of players- that includes the #2 overall pick. They don't want the Seattle picks. But they aren't going to get that. No way JD will give that up. I think the starting point HAS to be the #2 overall pick. Then JD should offer the 23rd pick this year or Seattles pick next year. Then they can discuss players or additional draft picks or both. Either the Jets add a second rounder and one player (Bless, Shepherd, Phillips, someone like that) or two players without an additional second rounder. 

And then there is the question of how Darnold fits in. Do the Texans want Darnold? Would he be one of the above players I mentioned? What is his value?     

In the end, if JD gives up the following for Watson I think its FAIR (considering the circumstances) and doesn't bankrupt the Jets:

Jets #2 pick this year, Seattle 1st round pick in 2022, Jets 2nd rounder this year, Nathan Shepherd, Phillips or Darnold, Bless- an expendable promising young player on a cheap contract.  

So Houston has to compromise on getting a Seattle first rounder instead of a Jets first rounder (they still get 2). They have to compromise on getting one 2nd rounder instead of the two second rounders they asked for, and they have to compromise on one player rather than two players. And is based from the initial, massive reported offer they requested. It can only go down from there. Maybe the Jets throw in a conditional pick down the road depending on how many games Watson starts, etc. 

Having a plethora of draft picks are for building a team at a cheap price and/or the off chance that an elite player becomes available via trade.

If we actually have a shot at Watson, its a no-brainer, you get him. He’s 25.

You have an elite QB for the next decade. Thats your main course. Everything else is apps and sides.

• Upvote 3

Plan A should be keep Sam and see how he does under the new CS and players that you add through the draft and FA. It has the most upside if it works. If you think there is no way to go that route,  then plan B is draft a QB be it this season or next. You would be able to keep all your draft capital  and potentially  add to it with trade downs, you are just spending one on a QB instead of keeping Sam, Aquiring Watson should be the last choice. That means you don't  see this draft as an opportunity  to ad impact  players in round 1 and 2 and will be ok with the guys you have and hooe you can aquire impact FA's . Other than getting Watson, what is left to surround him with talent is a total crap shoot.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Then they can discuss players or additional draft picks or both.

Jets would be stupid to trade any starting players.  Draft picks are a crap shoot, and anything under #15 of the 1st round is a crap shoot.  giving up draft picks are giving up non-proven commodities.  Giving up proven players who start for the team is giving up proven commodities.

Backup players and draft picks should all be on the table.  No way you give up players that will help shape the future of this team.

Draft Zach.... keep the pics, build a team, as our new coach says, no shortcuts… I am definitely getting sticker shock about what it would take to get to Deshaun... trade Sam… develop James Morgan as backup.... Our cupboard is not that full... Buy free agents when necessary( wide receiver, corner back) .... Get our next Nick Mangold

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

People want Watson and don’t want to give up Jack.  The harsh reality is the Texans may get all 4 first round picks the next 2 years. You have to beat all the other offers.  And there will be many. And just because it’s your interpretation of a better offer, doesn’t mean the Texans view it that way

8 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Draft Zach.... keep the pics, build a team, as our new coach says, no shortcuts… I am definitely getting sticker shock about what it would take to get to Deshaun... trade Sam… develop James Morgan as backup.... Our cupboard is not that full... Buy free agents when necessary( wide receiver, corner back) .... Get our next Nick Mangold

So you're good with being a 4-5 win team in 2021 then?

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So you're good with being a 4-5 win team in 2021 then?

No, we don’t know what the team looks like yet.... The the first time in a long time, I have faith in the coach... if getting deshaun doesn’t require a Herschel Walker type of trade, I would be in obviously...5 wins ironically is an improvement...Oy 

• Haha 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

If there was a single lesson you would think we learned by now, this would certainly be it. Well that and that not drafting safeties back to back in round one and two thing. 

And yet, we have Jets fans who want to kick that can down the road even further.

"Let's build the team first!!!!!" (while ignoring the fact that the QB is the single most important player on the team)

It's mind boggling

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

And yet, we have Jets fans who want to kick that can down the road even further.

"Let's build the team first!!!!!" (while ignoring the fact that the QB is the single most important player on the team)

It's mind boggling

I hate to be that guy but if Sam is back my fat ass is only going to buffets on Sunday’s next season with no TVs.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I hate to be that guy but if Sam is back my fat ass is only going to buffets on Sunday’s next season with no TVs.

Haha, I'll watch but it would take a lot for me to believe in Darnold again. 

We've just seen too much poor play for too long. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LSJF said:

Actually at this point (sight unseen) you have to wonder how much better/worse Morgan would be compared to Sam (if we go with starting our in house QB)

8 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Actually at this point (sight unseen) you have to wonder how much better/worse Morgan would be compared to Sam (if we go with starting our in house QB)

Would love to see any reports of Morgan’s development... 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Having a plethora of draft picks are for building a team at a cheap price and/or the off chance that an elite player becomes available via trade.

If we actually have a shot at Watson, its a no-brainer, you get him. He’s 25.

You have an elite QB for the next decade. Thats your main course. Everything else is apps and sides.

If your apps and sides are like houston you have an elite QB and 4 wins.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You need a QB.

I see this over and over again and I want to address this false narrative.  

False:  In the NFL you need a good QB.

It just isn't true, it is not a requirement in any way. It isn't in the CBA and only serves to put you in a bad cap situation.

A true statement is this:

If you want to win in the NFL, you need a good QB.

Glad I could clear this up.  :)

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Does anyone know where Watson wants to play?  He’s got a no trade clause so theoretically the jets could offer the 4 first picks they and also qwill and Becton and Watson could say no.  The only thing I’ve heard or read is that he wanted saleh or Bieniemy as coach for the Texans.

5 hours ago, LSJF said:

Your forgetting something. What if zach Wilson busts.

same old Jets story. Just get the proven qb. This isn’t rocket science 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

If jets give up 4 first round picks,  I will no longer watch preseason games and would never buy a jersey again

Yeah, because first round picks always hit. Hell, the Jets had 4 first round picks in one year alone. No SB trophy to show for all those picks. The question is can you build a team around DW after you've traded for him. The two late 1sts from Seattle help quite a bit in that respect. I think they can.  

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yeah, because first round picks always hit. Hell, the Jets had 4 first round picks in one year alone. No SB trophy to show for all those picks. The question is can you build a team around DW after you've traded for him. The two late 1sts from Seattle help quite a bit in the respect. I think they can.  

I think We have so many holes , we will waste the prime years of his career recovering from giving away 4 picks in 2 years, I agree every 1st round pick doesn't always pan out but the chances of our later picks panning out are very slim, 

3 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

I think We have so many holes , we will waste the prime years of his career recovering from giving away 4 picks in 2 years, I agree every 1st round pick doesn't always pan out but the chances of our later picks panning out are very slim, 

Our recent 1st rd picks weren't bad take out Sam and you have Becton, Q, Jamal and L Williams...

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Our recent 1st rd picks weren't bad take out Sam and you have Becton, Q, Jamal and L Williams...

No, not horrid, but not inspiring either. Jamal makes some impact plays and I may even bring myself to say he's a good player. However, to question the choice itself to draft a SS at #6 would be fair I suspect. So while Jamal didn't bust on the field how does the choice look in hindsight? Aside from maybe trading for a guy we passed on for him. Point being pick quantity is no assurance of a good choice with said picks leading to a good roster.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I see this over and over again and I want to address this false narrative.  

False:  In the NFL you need a good QB.

It just isn't true, it is not a requirement in any way. It isn't in the CBA and only serves to put you in a bad cap situation.

A true statement is this:

If you want to win in the NFL, you need a good QB.

Glad I could clear this up.  :)

Not your best worK. Kind like sar1 and his gase shtick.

try again

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

If jets give up 4 first round picks,  I will no longer watch preseason games and would never buy a jersey again

Why watch a team with a potential Hall of Fame QB throwing to Mims, Allen Robinson, Crowder, Herndon and another rookie? I would much rather watch two of the 4 1st round picks turn into decent starters and if we're lucky one of the other two will be half as good as Watson.

12 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Not your best worK. Kind like sar1 and his gase shtick.

try again

Yeah it all can't be A material. The thing is I will post this and move on.  Like a closer, you give up a home run, tomorrow is a new day.

Sar stuck with the Gase thing, over and over again. I am going to work on a new pitch and tomorrow is a new day lol.

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Plan A should be keep Sam and see how he does under the new CS and players that you add through the draft and FA. It has the most upside if it works. If you think there is no way to go that route,  then plan B is draft a QB be it this season or next. You would be able to keep all your draft capital  and potentially  add to it with trade downs, you are just spending one on a QB instead of keeping Sam, Aquiring Watson should be the last choice. That means you don't  see this draft as an opportunity  to ad impact  players in round 1 and 2 and will be ok with the guys you have and hooe you can aquire impact FA's . Other than getting Watson, what is left to surround him with talent is a total crap shoot.

How exactly is this plan different from when we took Jamal Adams over Mahomes and Watson?  Picking a positional player when you have a shot at a QB just isnt smart, especially when you have 2 other top 35 picks to help build the rest of the roster.  

Yea, there is upside to your plan, but what if Darnold doesnt improve, then we are still gonna be looking for a QB except we will have the 15th or so pick and not the second.  Or we will be trading our extra picks to move up for a rookie or trading those extra picks for the next Matt Stafford who wants to leave his team.

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

How exactly is this plan different from when we took Jamal Adams over Mahomes and Watson?  Picking a positional player when you have a shot at a QB just isnt smart, especially when you have 2 other top 35 picks to help build the rest of the roster.  

Yea, there is upside to your plan, but what if Darnold doesnt improve, then we are still gonna be looking for a QB except we will have the 15th or so pick and not the second.  Or we will be trading our extra picks to move up for a rookie or trading those extra picks for the next Matt Stafford who wants to leave his team.

The scenarios I laid out here all involve taking a QB so where does the Adams comparison come from. I do happen to want to take Smith over all the QB's but that is because I think Smith can be another Jerry Rice but that has no bearing on my post. 

As far as sticking with Sam, JD does that if he feels there is a good chance Sam improves with better coaching and more talent  around him and there won't  be a significant difference between him and the QB he would have e selected had he taken one. Yes,  that is not the most likely scenario but it is the one that has signicantly better upside if it works out and should be the plan you want the most. Most likely JD will select another QB imo but that has less upside  than Sam working out which is why I rank it a plan B.