Acquire picks

Jimmywall

22 hours ago, Alka said:

Jets would be stupid to trade any starting players.  Draft picks are a crap shoot, and anything under #15 of the 1st round is a crap shoot.  giving up draft picks are giving up non-proven commodities.  Giving up proven players who start for the team is giving up proven commodities.

Backup players and draft picks should all be on the table.  No way you give up players that will help shape the future of this team.

The players I suggested are not nec. part of the future of the team or 'starters'. Shepherd is a rotational defensive lineman/end. Phillips is a rotational End/rusher. Darnold is a starter but with Watson on board would be in no man's land. Even so, most don't believe he is part of the Jets future. Cashman may not be part of the Jets future either and is a depth player too. Bless is the only starter and yes, I agree, I would be hesitant to trade him but he certainly wouldn't make or break the trade for Watson. 

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

The players I suggested are not nec. part of the future of the team or 'starters'. Shepherd is a rotational defensive lineman/end. Phillips is a rotational End/rusher. Darnold is a starter but with Watson on board would be in no man's land. Even so, most don't believe he is part of the Jets future. Cashman may not be part of the Jets future either and is a depth player too. Bless is the only starter and yes, I agree, I would be hesitant to trade him but he certainly wouldn't make or break the trade for Watson. 

Bless is the perfect player to include in a trade for Watson.  Unless the new coaching staff thinks he’ll improve in their system, he’s shown himself to be a borderline starter who’s ideally a backup.  But he’s been a starter for us, and he meets Houston’s rumored trade criteria of young, cheap defensive players coming over to them.  They can sell him as a budding young starter, even though he’s really not because, let’s be honest - if the Texans do trade Watson, they’ll need all the help they can get from a PR standpoint to make the deal look better for them than it actually is.

1 minute ago, MykePM said:

Bless is the perfect player to include in a trade for Watson.  Unless the new coaching staff thinks he’ll improve in their system, he’s shown himself to be a borderline starter who’s ideally a backup.  But he’s been a starter for us, and he meets Houston’s rumored trade criteria of young, cheap defensive players coming over to them.  They can sell him as a budding young starter, even though he’s really not because, let’s be honest - if the Texans do trade Watson, they’ll need all the help they can get from a PR standpoint to make the deal look better than it actually is.

Yup. The only thing I would say is that, if given the choice, I would rather part ways with Darnold or Shepherd. We have multiple interior linemen and can afford to lose Shepherd. Darnold would be in no man's land, as I said, a backup on the verge of FA with a young third string QB behind him (Morgan) and no real future with the Jets. And Bless, despite being primarily a man press CB is a damn good tackler and if he can adjust to the zone scheme (which Williams implemented quite a bit last year) would be a desperately needed piece to a very much lacking secondary. I.E. If Bless learns how to play zone he has the traits to be very good at it and the Jets need all the CB help they can get. 

• Upvote 1