Anyone else NOT want Watson?

JohnnyLV

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

If Watson is as great as everyone thinks, shouldn't every team except K.C. be in on him?

How do you know they're not?

Also, financially, some teams are kind of out of the running from the jump.  Nearly a 3rd of teams in the NFL are in some form of cap hell, to the point where even Watson's relatively low 2021 cap number (about $11M) would be difficult to navigate around for a few of them. 

Those teams that are in cap trouble and need a QB will pretty much have to go through the draft.  They'd gladly acquire Watson if they could.

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I realize he is an excellent QB,.

But when I look at this team I just do not see it being a great fit at this time.

Watson will cost a ton of draft capital, has a large cap number after the first year, and really diminishes the ability to build a team around him.

Not only do you have less draft picks but in year 2 and after you also have roughly $30M less money for other players. That is like 4-6 really good midrange starters.

We have a bare roster and need every bit of ammunition to build it up.

When I look at Saleh, who was there for RW under a rookie contract it just seems the way to go to me.

He gets a QB to develop and mold into his system, we have more high level draft picks and much more cap for other players as well.

I just think this is the best way to go and because of all the above I do not want them to trade for Watson.

Watson is not without significant risk also. He did not win on a bad team this year. He has shown that he can be a malcontent. He has pretty serious injury and long term durability concerns as well.

While Watson is a excellent talent it depends what his price would be if Houston puts him up for bids.. He does seem to be the Revis/Jamal type of person.. I have always liked drafting your QB and watch him grow but I understand the fans that want the thing that sparkles now type of thinking.. IMO the Texans don't let him shoot his way out of town..

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I want him and I want the Gm to look seriously into getting him but I'm totally not prepared to go too far on the price to acquire him.  If he is being shopped make an offer, give them a deadline and move on.  Under no circumstance get into a bidding war.

This is me.

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

My preference is a trade with SF to get the BAP at 12...might even be a QB (ala the Mims trade back, where we still get our guy). 

Collectively, this team gets better faster, for longer, if we collect high draft picks and hit on them. 

Ay, there's the rub.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Do I WANT a Ferrari? Sure. Do I want to pay $300,000 for it? No. No, no, no. Not when I can have this fuel-efficient Toyota Corolla over here for a lean $18k. I wasn’t botn yesterday, friends.

Toyota Corolla?  I'm jealous of the teams with Corolla's.  We have an '86 Lebaron with wasps living in the tailpipe.

• Haha 4

Couple of reasons I disagree with the rationale outlined in the OP - which I might otherwise agree with.

I don't think Watson's cap numbers after the first year are bad and actually expect that deal to end up being rather team friendly as the QB market continues to balloon. That's compounded by the Jets having almost no cap commitments going forward, a little this year and then almost nothing afterwards. 

Kind of the same idea on the draft picks - the Jets can pretty easily trump any deal that another team comes up with barring things getting completely out of control (which everyone will have a different definition of but could absolutely happen and would change things) and still retain significant draft capital going forward to build the team. The Adams deal really added a lot of flexibility from that standpoint.

The other big thing regarding the cap space is the appeal that playing with Watson could have for other players. By no means do you build a team in FA - but the Jets are going to have a lot more cap space than most teams during a period that the cap will be lower than expected. It seems likely we're going to see more of a buyer's market in FA because of limited money teams have to spend compounded by the need teams will have to cut guys to get under the cap. There are some guys you want to go out and get though too - particularly at the WR position. The opportunity to play with a legitimate QB is a big deal from that standpoint and may help land someone they may not otherwise and/or reduce the need to overpay in order to do so. And it just costs cap space. Don't want to build the team that way but if they pick their spots it can make a big difference in the roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Do I WANT a Ferrari? Sure. Do I want to pay $300,000 for it? No. No, no, no. Not when I can have this fuel-efficient Toyota Corolla over here for a lean $18k. I wasn’t botn yesterday, friends.

Everyone wants a Ferrari at Toyota prices. The draft is really just Storage Wars Sports Edition. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Come on Tom you can get a nice entry level Portofino for 215..B)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What if you had a budget of $500,000 and needed to buy a 5 car team for LeMans?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Icer said:

I too am happy wallowing in mediocrity forever, and occasionally having a few good enough players to fight for a playoff spot but never a title because our QB sucks

What are you talking about dude?  You just pluck a QB off ye olde QB tree when your roster is ready to compete.  It's so easy and everyone does it, all the time!

• Haha 1