Anyone else NOT want Watson?

JohnnyLV

44 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I loved him coming out of college. Most ppl said we shouldn't draft him because he was too small and gimmicky, without a real arm. Most people were wrong.

Now everyone wants him and I think his price is too high. Not in our best interest for the future to give up what it would take to get him.

Hell, Houston literally just proved that Watson playing at an elite level will only notch you 4 wins if the rest of the team isn't any good. And 68 million of free agency

The masses are wrong on this one. Giving up the farm for Watson will not set this franchise up for success anytime soon.

Define "anytime soon".  Because Watson has 10-15 years of great play ahead of him.  Even if the Jets don't compete in, say, the next 3 years....he'll only be 28.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I get your reply, but most of us on here trust JD... So why not at least give the guy the chance to be better than Mac and Cheese... opps Idzik...

I trust JD as well.  I'm higher on him than most.  And part of my trust is that he'll aggressively go after Watson because he knows Darnold sucks.  And then he'll fool some other GM into giving us a 1st for Darnold.  :) 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I trust JD as well.  I'm higher on him than most.  And part of my trust is that he'll aggressively go after Watson because he knows Darnold sucks.  And then he'll fool some other GM into giving us a 1st for Darnold.  :) 

I trust JD also but most GM's get their recognition for drafting well and building their team that way.. I can say get me a Pro Bowl QB you don't have to be a genius to do that.. We shall see how it plays out but I can't see Houston letting Watson go no matter how many tantrums he pulls..

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Define "anytime soon".  Because Watson has 10-15 years of great play ahead of him.  Even if the Jets don't compete in, say, the next 3 years....he'll only be 28.

In football any play could be your last no one can guarantee 15 years of great play..

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With his injury history 10 years is a stretch. He could fall off the map like Newton did.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to say flat out NO. I think that would be crazy. Watson is too good to simply turn a blind eye to. But I do very much think that the price is probably prohibitive? 

I do NOT want to see the Jets ability to build their team taken hostage by one player. If we have to give up what the Texans claim they want, then I'll easily say NO. 

There has to be a happy medium? Some sort of half way agreement where the Jets give up draft capital and players but nothing that ends with the crippling themselves.

I like Watson and I would be happy to have him.  OTOH, as a fan I would prefer to draft and develop our own player.  As we have seen, that isn't so easy, so I understand the desire to get Watson and resolve the matter.  I probably don't like him as much as many.  He isn't the prototypical guy with a cannon that I want, but he has been very good.  He is signed for a high but reasonable price through 2025. I am not giving up 3 1sts for him unless we are keeping the #2 overall and some of these demands are outlandish.   I don't want to pay them on general principle.  If we do, I feel other teams will hold us up and we will be so tied to Watson that we will probably end up redoing his deal sooner rather than later.  10 years, 15 years, I don't care.  We would have him for 5.  I generally look at these things in 3 year windows.  When there is only one year left you need the strategy.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

With his injury history 10 years is a stretch. He could fall off the map like Newton did.

He doesn't sacrifice his body in unwise fashion like Newton did.  Watson knows how to slide and protect himself.  Watson also hasn't had a significant injury in 4 years.  He has no more concerning an injury history than any other athletic, mobile QB.  

Mobile, athletic QB's are the way of the league right now.   The top 4 QB's in this year's draft class are in that category too.  The league does as much as possible to protect them.  Some will get their knees crushed anyways.  Oh well.  You need one to win.  Statue pocket passers just don't exist anymore.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

So we want to get rid of sam for a guy who just went 4-12 with better weapons then jets.. yeah let's give up 4 first round picks, sam, our last year 1st round pick, maybe throw our coach in there too..

You're very average, indeed.  This tired line is getting just plain silly.  Find new material.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly

People act like Watson is some FA QB like Cousins who will give us a short window to build around. He's 25 and realistically has 10+ years of great play ahead of him. Even if it depletes our draft for a few years, our window is still much longer than that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Three 1sts (2021 2022 and 2023) and a second this year 

We keep 23rd this year and our Seattle pick 1sr next year

Hopefully by 2023 we are in win now mode not banking on mid to late round 1sts to win

This is exactly were I am compensation wise....I would replace Darnold with the second this year or at least hope he can be traded to replace it.  This amount of compensation allows the Jets to continue to build through the draft as well as free agency....people also shouldn't sleep on Seattles 1st next year I predict that pick is gonna be a lot higher then most people think especially after the Stafford trade.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I realize he is an excellent QB,.

But when I look at this team I just do not see it being a great fit at this time.

Watson will cost a ton of draft capital, has a large cap number after the first year, and really diminishes the ability to build a team around him.

Not only do you have less draft picks but in year 2 and after you also have roughly $30M less money for other players. That is like 4-6 really good midrange starters.

We have a bare roster and need every bit of ammunition to build it up.

When I look at Saleh, who was there for RW under a rookie contract it just seems the way to go to me.

He gets a QB to develop and mold into his system, we have more high level draft picks and much more cap for other players as well.

I just think this is the best way to go and because of all the above I do not want them to trade for Watson.

Watson is not without significant risk also. He did not win on a bad team this year. He has shown that he can be a malcontent. He has pretty serious injury and long term durability concerns as well.

So let's just tell Houston to hold onto him because we're not ready yet, and the league will accommodate us by making a 25 year-old top 3-5 QB available the next time we have 4 first round picks (incl immediate #2 overall) over the upcoming 2 seasons.

Should be a situation that's pretty easy to replicate, and the Jets have always been able to find QBs of Watson's caliber.

Or conversely...

We get him now because now is the only time he's available, in particular when we're in a position to get him (and when we have 2 extra 1st round picks plus the ability to trade Darnold for another, or close to it).

This is basically unprecedented. The next time it might happen, where an elite 25 year old veteran QB is available when we also happen to have a ridiculous amount of draft capital we can part with, could be 30 or 50 years from now. 

The last paragraph - with respect, since it's not just you saying it - I still find ridiculous:

• If he was 4-12 with an MVP-caliber season, then every QB would be similar or worse on that team.
  • The only malcontent he's shown to be is after being directly lied to by the FO, which itself was after finding out about the Hopkins trade when fans found out.
  • Injuries can happen to absolutely any QB. You can count on one hand the FQBs who've been as durable for as long as Favre or the Manning brothers (or Russell Wilson, who's never missed a snap to injury in the 160 games since he was drafted). It can happen to any number of QBs with no prior significant history, who've missed a season or most of one like Watson: Brady, Roethlisberger, Favre, Fouts, Tannehill, Bridgewater, Prescott, Palmer (two freak injuries), Alex Smith, now Burrow, Testaverde, Sanchez, and I'm sure dozens of others. It's a rough sport. He's so many years removed from his ACL injury that it's not a significantly higher risk than others.
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Exactly

People act like Watson is some FA QB like Cousins who will give us a short window to build around. He's 25 and realistically has 10+ years of great play ahead of him. Even if it depletes our draft for a few years, our window is still much longer than that.

How many years of great play is pretty much irrelevant.  The element that it is most important is that he is under contract through 2025.  If you draft a QB and he doesn't suck, you are literally looking at the same timeframe and likely an even higher contract for 2025.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I like Watson and I would be happy to have him.  OTOH, as a fan I would prefer to draft and develop our own player.  As we have seen, that isn't so easy, so I understand the desire to get Watson and resolve the matter.  I probably don't like him as much as many.  He isn't the prototypical guy with a cannon that I want, but he has been very good.  He is signed for a high but reasonable price through 2025. I am not giving up 3 1sts for him unless we are keeping the #2 overall and some of these demands are outlandish.   I don't want to pay them on general principle.  If we do, I feel other teams will hold us up and we will be so tied to Watson that we will probably end up redoing his deal sooner rather than later.  10 years, 15 years, I don't care.  We would have him for 5.  I generally look at these things in 3 year windows.  When there is only one year left you need the strategy.

You guys love "draft capital" Jets have had plenty over the last decade. I have yet to see draft capital pay off

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If if in 10 years a team can't adequately build around the 2nd best QB under 30 (currently), that's an ownership/front office problem.  Not a Watson problem, or due to the assets given up to acquire Watson.  

The Chiefs traded up a ton of spots (giving up two 1sts and a 3rd) to get Pat Mahomes.  The Bills traded up to get Josh Allen.  Think those teams give two sh*ts about the picks given up in hindsight?

And in those cases, those teams were giving up assets for largely unknown products.  We'd be giving up assets for a known, elite product who hasn't even entered his prime yet.

Except for the fact that we have zero talent and people want to trade up to 4 picks plus our best player in Quinnen. 

It's going to be incredibly hard building a team around Watson. A realistic take is we'd be able to compete in 5-6 years if we hit on a couple later round picks, but thats incredibly hard.

This fairy tale you spun about Mahomes is just that. The team was already in place and loaded with talent when he took over for Alex Smith. The Chiefs put themselves in that position to be able to spend those resources (similar to the Rams and Stafford). 

Also Watson is not the 2nd best QB under 30 IMO, but no one can deny his talent. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If if in 10 years a team can't adequately build around the 2nd best QB under 30 (currently), that's an ownership/front office problem.  Not a Watson problem, or due to the assets given up to acquire Watson.  

The Chiefs traded up a ton of spots (giving up two 1sts and a 3rd) to get Pat Mahomes.  The Bills traded up to get Josh Allen.  Think those teams give two sh*ts about the picks given up in hindsight?

And in those cases, those teams were giving up assets for largely unknown products.  We'd be giving up assets for a known, elite product who hasn't even entered his prime yet.

This is a massive over simplification. 

The Chiefs had a playoff roster in place with a half dozen pro bowlers when they made the decision to acquire Mahomes, 7 to be exact. They also didnt trade much in the grand scheme of things to select Mahomes. They did not "give up" two firsts, they gave up one 1st, one 2nd, one 3rd spread out among two years. The other first rounder was trading places with the Bills.

The Bills (also a playoff team at the time) had a foundational core of players with 3 pro bowlers and didnt give up much to acquire the pick for Allen in the first place. They traded two 2nd rounders, nowhere near the price that's being talked about for Watson. 

The Jets have exactly 2 players to consider building around, zero pro bowlers, and a decade of no playoffs.

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Watson makes Saleh’s life easier, makes his hiring look smarter, makes Douglas’ job easier, and will make Herndon, Becton, and Mims look like better draft picks. Force multiplier. You pay a premium for that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's not giving up fandom it's adjusting expectations 

put it another way the reason they have all this cap space to take on Watson is because of how they run the team 

you don't get to 90 million dollars of open cap by accident 

I again could be wrong but I genuinely believe $90 million of open cap was the only way to start to work the franchise’s way out of the mess Maccagnan left. 

And I’d have a hard time being a fan if I didn’t think there was a goal of winning a championship at some point. I’ll be stunned if it happens while I’m alive, but that’s what I’ll continue to root for.

1 hour ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

So we want to get rid of sam for a guy who just went 4-12 with better weapons then jets.. yeah let's give up 4 first round picks, sam, our last year 1st round pick, maybe throw our coach in there too..

Their defense was horrendous... that is why they lost so many games...HORRENDOUS