Anyone else NOT want Watson?

JohnnyLV

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

You guys love "draft capital" Jets have had plenty over the last decade. I have yet to see draft capital pay off

Who are "you guys?"  The fact is, if draft capital doesn't pay off, we are ****ed, with Watson or without.  Draft capital paid off in 2009 and 2010.   Back when that fat **** was running the franchise and under Walt Michaels.  You know, the only times we were any good.  I'm not against getting Watson and I know it will take a haul, but we have to consider value.  This isn't a super bowl team Watson would be joining

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Watson makes Saleh’s life easier, makes his hiring look smarter, makes Douglas’ job easier, and will make Herndon, Becton, and Mims look like better draft picks. Force multiplier. You pay a premium for that.

There is some truth to this, but it also loses you some of the honeymoon period.  Douglas seems like a plodder as far as developing that team.  Keep punishing the body and eventually it will pay off.  Saleh seems like a good hire and with a young QB all they have to do is have the QB look like he has a bright future, play hard, win about 4 games and not end the season on a long losing streak and people will feel we are headed in the right direction whether we are or not.  Watson has the potential of making a season sort of 2008 light.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

all they have to do is have the QB look like he has a bright future, play hard, win about 4 games and not end the season on a long losing streak and people will feel we are headed in the right direction whether we are or not.

DOM ARE YOU NEW HERE?????

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

All these fans clamoring for Watson, who keep saying do whatever it takes, are also going to be the same idiots in 10 years yelling at the top of their lungs about how the Jets never surrounded Watson with talent.

all these fans who dont want Watson will be the same idiots in 10 years crying about how stupid JD was not to give up the 4 draft picks which 3 became bust while were on are 4th QB and 4th coach in 10 years.

there are 7 rounds in the draft. teams find starters in rds 3-7 all the time. look at the Rams. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

DOM ARE YOU NEW HERE?????

Ha.  I was talking about in general.  Not here.  Here the day after we win the super bowl we will be ranting about how we will be unable to repeat and that we are now stuck with the worst pick in each round and how all of our free agents are going to demand contracts they are not worth. 

4 hours ago, section314 said:

If Watson is as great as everyone thinks, shouldn't every team except K.C. be in on him?

There are plenty of teams like Buffalo, Baltimore and Arizona etc who are very happy with their young QB.  Then there are teams with strong vets like Seattle who are happy with their QB.  Some teams have no assets to trade or are in cap hell.  

How many QBs in the game would you take over him, considering age?

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I realize he is an excellent QB,.

But when I look at this team I just do not see it being a great fit at this time.

Watson will cost a ton of draft capital, has a large cap number after the first year, and really diminishes the ability to build a team around him.

Not only do you have less draft picks but in year 2 and after you also have roughly $30M less money for other players. That is like 4-6 really good midrange starters.

We have a bare roster and need every bit of ammunition to build it up.

When I look at Saleh, who was there for RW under a rookie contract it just seems the way to go to me.

He gets a QB to develop and mold into his system, we have more high level draft picks and much more cap for other players as well.

I just think this is the best way to go and because of all the above I do not want them to trade for Watson.

Watson is not without significant risk also. He did not win on a bad team this year. He has shown that he can be a malcontent. He has pretty serious injury and long term durability concerns as well.

I agree with you.  100%

30 minutes ago, adb280z said:

There are plenty of teams like Buffalo, Baltimore and Arizona etc who are very happy with their young QB.  Then there are teams with strong vets like Seattle who are happy with their QB.  Some teams have no assets to trade or are in cap hell.  

How many QBs in the game would you take over him, considering age?

Mahomes,Allen, Rodgers, Prescott, Herbert,Wilson. and Trevor Lawrence.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Mahomes,Allen, Rodgers, Prescott, Herbert,Wilson. and Trevor Lawrence.

Given the "we're not ready for Watson" reason, I think you could doubly cross Rodgers off that list with the same rationalization.

So with that, there are at least 3 QBs here (with Prescott, Lawrence, and probably Herbert) that - based on what's known of them today - I wouldn't take over Watson, all things being equal. That might change in the coming year or two, but as of today? No.

Even still, consider then the elephant in the room: these are the only QBs you'd take over Watson? Well, none of them are available.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Given the "we're not ready for Watson" reason, I think you could doubly cross Rodgers off that list with the same rationalization.

So with that, there are at least 3 QBs here (with Prescott, Lawrence, and probably Herbert) that - based on what's known of them today - I wouldn't take over Watson, all things being equal. That might change in the coming year or two, but as of today? No.

Even still, consider then the elephant in the room: these are the only QBs you'd take over Watson? Well, none of them are available.

And neither is Watson until Houston says he is..

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That’s not the point. The question was who do you think are better?

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I realize he is an excellent QB,.

But when I look at this team I just do not see it being a great fit at this time.

Watson will cost a ton of draft capital, has a large cap number after the first year, and really diminishes the ability to build a team around him.

Not only do you have less draft picks but in year 2 and after you also have roughly $30M less money for other players. That is like 4-6 really good midrange starters.

We have a bare roster and need every bit of ammunition to build it up.

When I look at Saleh, who was there for RW under a rookie contract it just seems the way to go to me.

He gets a QB to develop and mold into his system, we have more high level draft picks and much more cap for other players as well.

I just think this is the best way to go and because of all the above I do not want them to trade for Watson.

Watson is not without significant risk also. He did not win on a bad team this year. He has shown that he can be a malcontent. He has pretty serious injury and long term durability concerns as well.

I think is probably most people in Jet nation. Most NFL fans would probably agree with you, even though there are merits to sign him, it is very reasonable to think that it is not the best move for us at this time.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I trust JD as well.  I'm higher on him than most.  And part of my trust is that he'll aggressively go after Watson because he knows Darnold sucks.  And then he'll fool some other GM into giving us a 1st for Darnold.  :) 

Hope you're right at a cost we all can agree on...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Savage69 said:

The Lions did with Stafford

The Stafford trade significantly hurt our chances at getting Watson 

An overrated 33 year old qb with zero career playoff wins and an injury history got 2 firsts and Goff.  The Texans are going to demand more than twice that

3 hours ago, Savage69 said:

The Lions did with Stafford

Situation’s a bit different. Absent Watson’s anger, Houston had no interest/appetite for trading him no matter who was hired as the new GM with or without Watson’s input or blessing.

Detroit, comparatively, may not have been actively seeking a trade without Stafford’s request, but new GM Dorsey has no prior personal investment in the (as of Feb 7th) 33 yr old QB. Stafford making the request makes it easier to explain to fans, too.

After all the playoff misses & injuries since 2009 it’s safe to say as of the end of week 17 this past season there was a higher percentage of Lions fans in favor of getting a pair of 1st rounders & at least a bridge starter for Stafford than Texans fans eager to move on from Watson for any number of picks.

57 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Stafford trade significantly hurt our chances at getting Watson 

An overrated 33 year old qb with zero career playoff wins and an injury history got 2 firsts and Goff.  The Texans are going to demand more than twice that

Whatever they demand, the top offer (from us or from anyone) will be the top offer.

They can demand 6 first round picks for all I care if it makes them feel better about themselves, but no one’s going to pay it. 

• Upvote 1