Raiders looking to trade Derek Carr so they can pursue Watson???

rayzor

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

The Raiders don't have the # 2.  That is the wild card in all of this.  The only wild card in the deck.

Exactly.  Highes tpick they have is 17.  They also don't have multiple 1s next year.  If we are interested in Watson, we can easily outbid the Raiders.  If we want to.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Exactly.  Highes tpick they have is 17.  They also don't have multiple 1s next year.  If we are interested in Watson, we can easily outbid the Raiders.  If we want to.

Plus the no trade thing, he might not even want to go there.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Raiders don't have the # 2.  That is the wild card in all of this.  The only wild card in the deck.

Houston has to be dead set on one of Fields or Wilson as their new QB in order to make any reasonable deal with us

Watson has to be placed in a situation where Houston is willing to make a deal with very few ( or none) of the other teams for him to choose us

Just now, rayzor said:

There's also this floating around:

EtQ29SGWQAABG8O.jpg

Sam Darnold

Bless Austin

# 2 overall

2022 1st round pick

Boom, Jets comp is much higher.

Carr is 30 years old and has surpassed 30 TDs once in his career. He would be hard to sell to a fan base that is hurting over the loss of Watson.  Darnold is young and fans would rally around him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Let's play a game.

Google... "Deshaun Watson trade" and insert any teams name in the NFL. 

You're going to find an article or tweet with "sources" claiming every single team is in on him except for maybe 4 teams. 

Chiefs, Ravens, Buccaneers, and Seahawks. 

Yes there are actual articles with sources claiming Bills, Packers, Titans, Browns, etc etc. 

Clickbait season baby! 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Sam Darnold

Bless Austin

# 2 overall

2022 1st round pick

Carr is 30 years old and has surpassed 30 TDs once in his career. He would be hard to sell to a fan base that is hurting over the loss of Watson.  Darnold is young and fans would rally around him.

Nowhere near enough.

Sam sucks. Austin is nobody.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Plus the no trade thing, he might not even want to go there.

This is what makes no sense.  Players demand to be traded and then get  picky with the no trade deal.  If I got a good offer after he demand to leave and he said no I'd say F you sit out if you want.  And I splash it all over the media.

If i'm the Texans where I trade Watson is 90 percent dependent on what QB I wanna rebuild with.  If I love Tua I trade with Miami, If I love Fields or Wilson I make a deal with the Jets, If I'm not in love with any of those QBs then that opens things up a bit but obsessing on the number of picks or mediocre starters I get is fools gold.  Believe it or not that's what Detroit did...they decided what was most important was getting Goff for the next few years rather then drafting a QB and getting better picks. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, riggy001 said:

I have to admit , i am now at the point of qb musical chairs ‘fatigue’. Just let me know when they pick a path, and i will root for the uniform as always...

Can anyone recall a season where so many QB's could be playing for a different team the following season?  There was even talk of Cousins being traded earlier.  This just really enforces the fact that you need a great QB.  Because even an above average QB won't get it done.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

This is what makes no sense.  Players demand to be traded and then get  picky with the no trade deal.  If I got a good offer after he demand to leave and he said no I'd say F you sit out if you want.  And I splash it all over the media.

I read something that said Watson is going to be sensitive to how much the team has to give up to get him (whatever team that is). Meaning he doesn't want them losing all these picks and having no ability to improve the team. Would be nice if he wants to come here and holds the Texans hostage a bit.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Sam Darnold

Bless Austin

# 2 overall

2022 1st round pick

LMAO

cant believe you think Darnold is better than Carr with a straight face. and Austin is better than Waller? i keep looking back at your post to see if i missed a laugh or a wink. 

Carr has a QB rate of over 100 last 2 seasons. comp % around 68 last 3 seasons. avgs under 2 INT a game for his career.

Darnold sucks. and if he goes to Houston and sucks a 4th year then they got to cut him. Carr doesnt suck.

the wild card here is Gruden. he runs the Raiders. he cant have another 8-8 season. if he gets the Texans on the phone he wont hang up until he gets a deal. he will give them whatever draft picks they want. make the playoffs for a few years, maybe win a SB and then retire.

you guys make that 2OA pick worth more than it is. only if Houston LOVES  a QB this year than its worth something. 

how do NE, NO, GB, SEA make the playoffs for decades? yeah they have great QBs but you need talent around them right? yet they find them with there late rd picks EVERY YEAR. we can do the same

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Nowhere near enough.

Sam sucks. Austin is nobody.

Agree on Austin, but he’s dirt cheap and that’s the type of throw-ins they need this year while they retool with their additional picks. 

Whether directly or indirectly, if Darnold’s value is some sort of (late) 1st rounder to at least one team, then it still qualifies. It can be via a 3-way trade, whereby someone gets Darnold and their 1st rounder goes to Houtson, or Houston can keep him to use as a cheap starter for the year, with a good LT and legit targets, with or without exercising his 5th yr option. Or yeah they could flip him themselves.

Plus don’t forget what @Maxman is probably factoring in about the indirect/hidden additional value Darnold brings: absent a mid-ranked defense (which Houston doesn’t and won’t have) Darnold’s worth yet another future 1st rounder by guaranteeing his 2021 team’s 2022 pick is top 3 instead of the middle of round 1 or later. ? Ba-dum-bum!

1 hour ago, doitny said:

LMAO

cant believe you think Darnold is better than Carr with a straight face. and Austin is better than Waller? i keep looking back at your post to see if i missed a laugh or a wink. 

Carr has a QB rate of over 100 last 2 seasons. comp % around 68 last 3 seasons. avgs under 2 INT a game for his career.

Darnold sucks. and if he goes to Houston and sucks a 4th year then they got to cut him. Carr doesnt suck.

the wild card here is Gruden. he runs the Raiders. he cant have another 8-8 season. if he gets the Texans on the phone he wont hang up until he gets a deal. he will give them whatever draft picks they want. make the playoffs for a few years, maybe win a SB and then retire.

you guys make that 2OA pick worth more than it is. only if Houston LOVES  a QB this year than its worth something. 

how do NE, NO, GB, SEA make the playoffs for decades? yeah they have great QBs but you need talent around them right? yet they find them with there late rd picks EVERY YEAR. we can do the same

Irrespective of comparing Carr’s and Darnold’s accomplishments to date in a vacuum, I don’t think they’d have any serious interest in Carr and his $20MM salary in 2021. They’ll suck in 2021 no matter what, AND don’t have the cap room to pay him, let alone to start building around him for even an outside shot at a WC spot. After that he’ll be entering his final contract year so (with inflation & the cap going back up) he’ll need a $30-35MM/yr extension if he’ll be worth keeping at all.

So his trade value might be higher in a vacuum, but I don’t see Houston valuing him as a starter in 2021. If they want anything it’s a mulligan + excitement over future potential to help fans (and FAs) get over losing Watson. A mush like Carr doesn’t provide that. Darnold probably doesn’t provide that either, but he also probably won’t be as bad as he was in 2020 with a full summer, better WRs, a needed change of scenery, plus of course not playing for Adam Gase.

I think they’d be more interested in the 1st round pick Darnold can (allegedly) return, and take a QB at #2 overall, as I mentioned above. But I’d be surprised if they had serious interest in Carr. 

Agree on your last point, which is why the handwringing over one 1st rounder too much for Watson makes me eyeroll more than a little. That player can bust, can get regularly injured, etc. and in any event is unlikely to have a Watson-like impact on the team where we still stuck without him but are a playoff team/contender with him. FFS from the talk here you’d think every championship/playoff team was built on little more than their 1st round picks. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I thought he was talking about Carr, but that may have been a misread. In any case, does Carr have a no trade clause? Because I can't imagine he'd want to reprise his brother's trauma in Houston. Speaking of seeing ghosts....

The Texans ARE NOT taking on a 20 million dollar contract! They are already over the cap. Caserio comes from New England, he knows how to be cheap. 

No matter what the Texans do, whether it's keep Watson or trade him, they are likely to be picking in the top 5 the next 2 years. 

When you think about THE FANS in Houston, they are going to be disappointed the next 2 years no matter what you do with Watson. They have no chance of improving because they have zero picks & no money. The chances of late picks starting in the 3rd round making any huge contribution are very small. 

Bill Obrien burnt this franchise to the ground. And even though JJ Watt was a shell of his former self, he was still a BEAST inside just by his shear power & size. But he's dead meat, 17.5 million & can be cut with zero cap hit! 

This Watson situation is one of the most interesting dilemmas in the NFL in a long time. They missed their opening, unfortunately by being in the AFC & having to battle New England in the playoffs. Their next cycle because of Obriens horrible management of the team is probably 3/4/5 years away if if they keep Watson. They are in BAD SHAPE. They won 4 games & 2 were against the team picking #1 overall this year! 

At least the Jets have assets in both cap & draft capital the next 2 years. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, ljr said:

Houston has to be dead set on one of Fields or Wilson as their new QB in order to make any reasonable deal with us

Watson has to be placed in a situation where Houston is willing to make a deal with very few ( or none) of the other teams for him to choose us

Or they can take our 2nd overall and trade it for a pile of picks from someone who likes one of those 2 QBs.

Either way the #2 overall is worth a hell of a lot more than #17

If we want Watson, are willing to pay the price, no one can out bid the Jets draft picks that are available.  

• Upvote 2