Ex-Jets GM would trade his mother and first born for Watson.

Lurker89

TRADER MIKE!!!!!

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/mike-tannenbaum-deshaun-watson-jets-trade-quinnen-williams/

Ex-Jets GM would trade 4 first-rounders, Quinnen Williams for Deshaun Watson

Sam Neumann 

February 3, 2021 11:02 am

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum is no stranger to making splashy trades at the quarterback position.

During his tenure at One Jets Drive, Tannenbaum traded for Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre and traded up in the draft to select Mark Sanchez. And that was over the course of just two offseasons.

With his track record in mind, it’s no surprise that Tannebaum now believes the Jets should trade for disgruntled Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. If he were still the GM, he’d be willing to trade the family farm and then some.

Putting himself in Joe Douglas’ shoes, Tannenbaum said he would part with four first-round picks and one of New York’s best defensive players without a second thought.

“I would get Nick Caserio on the phone. I would absolutely do whatever it took,” Tannenbaum said on The Jake Asman Show. “Once you have Deshaun Watson, you create this aura of association. We decided in Tampa Bay, Leonard Fournette, Rob Gronkowski, and Antonio Brown — it’s amazing what a great quarterback does.

“It changes your franchise, and you have Robert Saleh. You go get Deshaun Watson, and the New York Jets will be thought about completely differently for the next 10 years. And if you have to throw in Quinnen Williams, I don’t care. Because I can go find a Quinnen Williams, but Deshaun Watson is too talented. He’s a great person. He’s a great leader. He’s young. He’s under contract for five years. Whatever it takes, I get Deshaun Watson.”

While it would be hard to see the Jets and specifically Saleh parting with Williams — or four first-rounders — Watson is one of the best players at his position. He would instantly become one of the best passers in franchise history.

While it would be hard to see the Jets and specifically Saleh parting with Williams — or four first-rounders — Watson is one of the best players at his position. He would instantly become one of the best passers in franchise history.

That said, the Jets haven’t exactly lucked out in the pass-rusher department and would be wise to find a way to keep Williams in a potential blockbuster trade for Watson.

Even in a season in which his head coach was fired and his star wide receiver was shipped away, Watson still managed to lead the NFL in passing. He finished the 2020 campaign completing 70.2% of his passes for 4,823 yards, 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

The Jets have the cap space and the draft capital to make one of the strongest bids for Waston. While Tannenbaum puts together a convincing argument, he’s also mortgaging the team’s future in the process. Time will tell if Douglas and the Jets’ front office feels the same way.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

of course he would the ******* psycho, and that's why he's not GM anymore.

To be fair he drafted DBrickshaw, Revis, Harris, which is way better than the turds the last two gms got us.

I actually like Tanny, its just he loved highly leveraging the Jets.

He loved trading up, which sometimes worked, Revis.

And sometimes your entire draft was Mark Sanchez and Shonne Greene

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Trader Tanny really would have absolutely gotten Watson.  It's how he operated.  Those were fun days; I'll never forget visiting a friend in LA a decade ago, waking up after a bender and going online to see Tanny had gone nuts, I think it was signing/trading for Kris Jenkins, signing Calvin Pace, Alan Faneca...we would trade for guys like Brandon Marshall, Antonio Cromartie -  the SEX of it all.  Heady days that were a lot of fun.   Similar to what the Rams are doing now except without the bombast of Rex Ryan.

Not saying I agree with Tanny now, I'd do 3 firsts and some lesser picks because I think it can be done with throwing in QW.  I think JD will put a legit deal on the table and draw a line in the sand.  There's no doubt that #2 overall pick is more valuable to Houston than any other offer other teams can put together and they know it and JD does as well.  Pick your QB Houston, most likely Justin Fields as he's as close to Watson as they're going to get.  Trade JJ Watt and start over fresh.

If Watson really is prepared to sit out the corner gets painted in around Houston - that's the only way this is going to happen.  It's hard to imagine a reasonable FO NOT trading him at that point, hard to imagine Watson coming back after he's scrubbed his social media and requested a trade but the Texans aren't a reasonable place - full of ego, incompetence, patriarchy, and Jesus - tinder box, who knows what's going to happen.

• Upvote 2

People throw around the term "great leader" without actually considering what it means. True leadership never puts "self" above team. Leadership puts the needs of the team above self. Leadership is not displayed by me-first crybabies like Jamal Adams and Watson. They may be good players, but they're clearly in it for themselves above team - that's not leadership.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Tannebaum is entertaining on the Anita Marks show but I much prefer Douglas as GM

I didn't listen every Sunday morning but when I did, he would say stuff, then things would play out, and he was ALWAYS wrong 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

People throw around the term "great leader" without actually considering what it means. True leadership never puts "self" above team. Leadership puts the needs of the team above self. Leadership is not displayed by me-first crybabies like Jamal Adams and Watson. They may be good players, but they're clearly in it for themselves above team - that's not leadership.

The fact that Houston’s O wasn’t so much the problem this season as the D was and Watson wanted an OC for HC troubled me. A leader would have said “I got the O, hire a HC that can fix the D”.

If it is all about winning his position was curious to say the least.

33 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

TRADER MIKE!!!!!

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/mike-tannenbaum-deshaun-watson-jets-trade-quinnen-williams/

Ex-Jets GM would trade 4 first-rounders, Quinnen Williams for Deshaun Watson

Sam Neumann 

February 3, 2021 11:02 am

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum is no stranger to making splashy trades at the quarterback position.

During his tenure at One Jets Drive, Tannenbaum traded for Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre and traded up in the draft to select Mark Sanchez. And that was over the course of just two offseasons.

With his track record in mind, it’s no surprise that Tannebaum now believes the Jets should trade for disgruntled Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. If he were still the GM, he’d be willing to trade the family farm and then some.

Putting himself in Joe Douglas’ shoes, Tannenbaum said he would part with four first-round picks and one of New York’s best defensive players without a second thought.

“I would get Nick Caserio on the phone. I would absolutely do whatever it took,” Tannenbaum said on The Jake Asman Show. “Once you have Deshaun Watson, you create this aura of association. We decided in Tampa Bay, Leonard Fournette, Rob Gronkowski, and Antonio Brown — it’s amazing what a great quarterback does.

“It changes your franchise, and you have Robert Saleh. You go get Deshaun Watson, and the New York Jets will be thought about completely differently for the next 10 years. And if you have to throw in Quinnen Williams, I don’t care. Because I can go find a Quinnen Williams, but Deshaun Watson is too talented. He’s a great person. He’s a great leader. He’s young. He’s under contract for five years. Whatever it takes, I get Deshaun Watson.”

That said, the Jets haven’t exactly lucked out in the pass-rusher department and would be wise to find a way to keep Williams in a potential blockbuster trade for Watson.

Even in a season in which his head coach was fired and his star wide receiver was shipped away, Watson still managed to lead the NFL in passing. He finished the 2020 campaign completing 70.2% of his passes for 4,823 yards, 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

The Jets have the cap space and the draft capital to make one of the strongest bids for Waston. While Tannenbaum puts together a convincing argument, he’s also mortgaging the team’s future in the process. Time will tell if Douglas and the Jets’ front office feels the same way.

oy vey

Trader Mike not helping his ex-team here. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He loved trading up, which sometimes worked, Revis.

And sometimes your entire draft was Mark Sanchez and Shonne Greene

Antonio Cromartie was so scared of Shonn Greene that he joined the Jets just to avoid ever having to tackle him again.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

For example we've seen true leaders restructure their deals to get paid less to allow the team to resign key players and add important pieces. That is what leadership looks like.

Of course Watson is a great leader. He’s doing whatever he has to and leading his azz right out of Houston. 

• Haha 3

The bottom line is if you solve the QB position, you’re the Jets GM for a decade. I respect Douglas’ appreciation for draft picks, but I’d move my picks for Watson if I wanted to have some real job security. Tannenbaum lasted here for a while because he was never afraid to shoot his shot.

Picks are nice but if JD misses this year, he’s gone sooner rather than later. Take the sure thing and solve the Jets biggest issue since the 70s - assuming that Watson is actually about to get moved

• Post of the Week 1

For example we've seen true leaders restructure their deals to get paid less to allow the team to resign key players and add important pieces. That is what leadership looks like.

We’ve also seen some cheating d**shbags get paid uber the table while their owner circumvent’s the salarycap

• Upvote 1

If Watson is such a tremendous leader - why can't the salty c*nt pick up the phone and talk to his people in HOU. Being a bit of a b*tch if you ask me. 

Being a leader means role modeling perseverance and resiliency through bad season for the rest of the team.... and yes, sometimes there are good reasons to move on. Maybe that relationship is broken... but wtf... pick up the fcking phone and have a conversation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1