Ex-Jets GM would trade his mother and first born for Watson.

Lurker89

49 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

For example we've seen true leaders restructure their deals to get paid less to allow the team to resign key players and add important pieces. That is what leadership looks like.

Oh really? Name them. Brady is the only guy that comes to mind and that's because the pats* we're paying him under the table through his sports supplement company. The guys in the NBA that say they took less money are still making 20+- million they just aren't taking the max contract, and their contracts are fully guaranteed. Also, keep in mind that when most guys restructure they aren't' generally taking a pay cut, they're merely extending the contract out and getting more money in the long run in return as compensation for pushing their money into future years.

2 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

For example we've seen true leaders restructure their deals to get paid less to allow the team to resign key players and add important pieces. That is what leadership looks like.

Why should Watson make up for Obrien & the owners ineptitude! 

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Jets fans for two weeks straight: Trade 4 first rounders! Trade Quinnen!

Jets fans upon hearing Mike Tannenbaum would make the exact same move: What a ******* moron no wonder he isnt a GM anymore. 

Got it. 

4 first round picks plus a future all-pro who is cheap and under control for another 3+ years - that’s all it takes to get Watson?!?!?

84D4E596-8A00-44A2-861A-A2F0ADEFC4F5.thumb.jpeg.05af6f3c500f14133e14408c64c18015.jpeg

• Haha 1

Love him or hate him, Tanny understood the importance of having a good QB. He brought in Favre, moved up for Sanchez, attempted to sign Peyton Manning, and took a shot at catching some of that 2011 Tebow fire. 

He didn't succeed, but he sure tried like hell.

If he were the GM of the Jets, Watson would already be here.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

This seems pretty simple to me.  

Houston HAS to trade Watson.  Its just a matter of what bid they take. 

There will be at least three teams bidding for Watson.  

Each team has to decide whether it is worth it.  Hopefully they will be rational.  I don't know whether the Texans are rational, and they may choose to keep Watson than be embarrassed.  

It also depends who the Texans like.  If its Fields, which it should be for them on a rookie deal, the Jets pick is much more valuable.  

If the three teams are the Jets, Dolphins and Panthers, the Jets are the team that can LEAST part with the picks, because their roster is the worst. 

Hopefully JD takes that into account.  

2 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

People throw around the term "great leader" without actually considering what it means. True leadership never puts "self" above team. Leadership puts the needs of the team above self. Leadership is not displayed by me-first crybabies like Jamal Adams and Watson. They may be good players, but they're clearly in it for themselves above team - that's not leadership.

There is the team and then there is the FO/CS.  If the latter is screwing up every which way possible then all bets are off regarding loyalty to the franchise.  At least that is how I see it.  

3 hours ago, talisaynon said:

of course he would the ******* psycho, and that's why he's not GM anymore.

To be fair he drafted DBrickshaw, Revis, Harris, which is way better than the turds the last two gms got us.

I actually like Tanny, its just he loved highly leveraging the Jets.

Meanwhile he built a team capable of getting Rex Ryan to two championship games.

For all his faults, I think he knows in hindsight which position was lacking most. Then he doubled down on the wrong one he chose, and got deservedly fired. If he'd passed on extending Sanchez, and instead of trading up for Stephen Hill he took Russell Wilson like his head scout wanted, he might still be the GM here & we might not be upset about it.

I don't at all wish he was still in his former role here, but it's yet to be proven that we've had a better GM since he got fired, including Douglas. I've got high hopes for Douglas, but have to admit thus far that idiot Mike Maccagnan was a more astute judge of FA offensive linemen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

There is the team and then there is the FO/CS.  If the latter is screwing up every which way possible then all bets are off regarding loyalty to the franchise.  At least that is how I see it.  

Yet he just signed a new deal with that FO/CS four months ago..

"I'm lost for words, honestly. Been crying a little bit, a lot of bit, really. It's just an amazing moment for me," the two-time Pro Bowler said. "The money is amazing. It's life-changing. It's great. But the biggest thing is for the (organization) to just trust in me and believe in me that I'm their guy, I'm their quarterback is the biggest thing that really touches me."

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, pointman said:

He put together the best roster this teams had in a long time. Haven't had that much talent since he left. Tanny > every other GM so far.

Cool  .... You're factually correct in your statement and that still doesn't make him a good GM. It just means we've had nothing but bad GMs.

Stating the obvious here, but while some may like and dislike what Tanny did, it was with Mangini that Tanny did his best stuff, and not so much when Rex got here, so while he was GM in name, I believe he was doing what other were asking of him... That's all that needs to be said about Tanny. We now have a GM that actually knows what it takes to be a GM, and leave the bean counting to others underneath him.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

If Watson is such a tremendous leader - why can't the salty c*nt pick up the phone and talk to his people in HOU. Being a bit of a b*tch if you ask me. 

Being a leader means role modeling perseverance and resiliency through bad season for the rest of the team.... and yes, sometimes there are good reasons to move on. Maybe that relationship is broken... but wtf... pick up the fcking phone and have a conversation. 

They already had conversations long before this.  The end result has not gone well.  Hence why he's not talking to them anymore.

He has a right to be a "salty c*nt" in all of this.  Stop taking the owner's side.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meanwhile he built a team capable of getting Rex Ryan to two championship games.

For all his faults, I think he knows in hindsight which position was lacking most. Then he doubled down on the wrong one he chose, and got deservedly fired. If he'd passed on extending Sanchez, and instead of trading up for Stephen Hill he took Russell Wilson like his head scout wanted, he might still be the GM here & we might not be upset about it.

I don't at all wish he was still in his former role here, but it's yet to be proven that we've had a better GM since he got fired, including Douglas. I've got high hopes for Douglas, but have to admit thus far that idiot Mike Maccagnan was a more astute judge of FA offensive linemen. 

He only drafted well under Mangini.  Listen to him speak, great numbers guy but a very poor evaluator of talent.  As was REX.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They already had conversations long before this.  The end result has not gone well.  Hence why he's not talking to them anymore.

He has a right to be a "salty c*nt" in all of this.  Stop taking the owner's side.

No. This is my area of profession. There are new players in the game; GMs. Coaches. Watson has a duty to report in. Don’t for a NY second give me some sob story about the plight of millionaire QB who feels slighted. That was then. This is now. How old are you Deshaun? Pick up the fcking phone and talk. 

This is the first time in Watson career, Clemson or Texans, where his team sucked. People mailed in. Players played poorly. Etc. Houston is a circus yes, but Watson is adding to it with his own brand immaturity right now. His being a bit of Nancy. Show some resiliency. 

(and stop holding his jacket J80)

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

The bottom line is if you solve the QB position, you’re the Jets GM for a decade. I respect Douglas’ appreciation for draft picks, but I’d move my picks for Watson if I wanted to have some real job security. Tannenbaum lasted here for a while because he was never afraid to shoot his shot.

Picks are nice but if JD misses this year, he’s gone sooner rather than later. Take the sure thing and solve the Jets biggest issue since the 70s - assuming that Watson is actually about to get moved

If anything, it’s the opposite.

Giving up all that for 1 player and the huge contract means win now....4-12 or 6-10 will not cut it....if he’s that good and that much of a so-called difference maker then we should expect immediate results....playoffs as of 2021....no ifs or buts....no hiding place.

An immediately relevant and post-season challenging team is not an unreasonable expectation if you are putting all this outlay on one player 

The pressure will immediately be on and any honeymoon periods for Douglas or Saleh will well and truly be bypassed. There’s considerably more job security in going down the build through the draft route, that at least buys a couple of non-winning seasons if you see improvement and progress.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

TRADER MIKE!!!!!

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/mike-tannenbaum-deshaun-watson-jets-trade-quinnen-williams/

Ex-Jets GM would trade 4 first-rounders, Quinnen Williams for Deshaun Watson

Sam Neumann 

February 3, 2021 11:02 am

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum is no stranger to making splashy trades at the quarterback position.

During his tenure at One Jets Drive, Tannenbaum traded for Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre and traded up in the draft to select Mark Sanchez. And that was over the course of just two offseasons.

With his track record in mind, it’s no surprise that Tannebaum now believes the Jets should trade for disgruntled Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. If he were still the GM, he’d be willing to trade the family farm and then some.

Putting himself in Joe Douglas’ shoes, Tannenbaum said he would part with four first-round picks and one of New York’s best defensive players without a second thought.

“I would get Nick Caserio on the phone. I would absolutely do whatever it took,” Tannenbaum said on The Jake Asman Show. “Once you have Deshaun Watson, you create this aura of association. We decided in Tampa Bay, Leonard Fournette, Rob Gronkowski, and Antonio Brown — it’s amazing what a great quarterback does.

“It changes your franchise, and you have Robert Saleh. You go get Deshaun Watson, and the New York Jets will be thought about completely differently for the next 10 years. And if you have to throw in Quinnen Williams, I don’t care. Because I can go find a Quinnen Williams, but Deshaun Watson is too talented. He’s a great person. He’s a great leader. He’s young. He’s under contract for five years. Whatever it takes, I get Deshaun Watson.”

While it would be hard to see the Jets and specifically Saleh parting with Williams — or four first-rounders — Watson is one of the best players at his position. He would instantly become one of the best passers in franchise history.

While it would be hard to see the Jets and specifically Saleh parting with Williams — or four first-rounders — Watson is one of the best players at his position. He would instantly become one of the best passers in franchise history.

That said, the Jets haven’t exactly lucked out in the pass-rusher department and would be wise to find a way to keep Williams in a potential blockbuster trade for Watson.

Even in a season in which his head coach was fired and his star wide receiver was shipped away, Watson still managed to lead the NFL in passing. He finished the 2020 campaign completing 70.2% of his passes for 4,823 yards, 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

The Jets have the cap space and the draft capital to make one of the strongest bids for Waston. While Tannenbaum puts together a convincing argument, he’s also mortgaging the team’s future in the process. Time will tell if Douglas and the Jets’ front office feels the same way.

That is GREAT insight as to why we shouldn't do it then, since he's the "EX" GM, after all.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

This seems pretty simple to me.  

Houston HAS to trade Watson.  Its just a matter of what bid they take. 

There will be at least three teams bidding for Watson.  

Each team has to decide whether it is worth it.  Hopefully they will be rational.  I don't know whether the Texans are rational, and they may choose to keep Watson than be embarrassed.  

It also depends who the Texans like.  If its Fields, which it should be for them on a rookie deal, the Jets pick is much more valuable.  

If the three teams are the Jets, Dolphins and Panthers, the Jets are the team that can LEAST part with the picks, because their roster is the worst. 

Hopefully JD takes that into account.  

And Watson is a Georgia guy which is between Florida and Carolina.. Hmmm 

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Love him or hate him, Tanny understood the importance of having a good QB. He brought in Favre, moved up for Sanchez, attempted to sign Peyton Manning, and took a shot at catching some of that 2011 Tebow fire. 

He didn't succeed, but he sure tried like hell.

If he were the GM of the Jets, Watson would already be here.

And he went 0-4 on all attempts. Knowing what you want and knowing how to get it  are not the same thing.

Tanny made some great personnel moves but he typically overpaid in $ and picks. Over time the bottom half of the roster fell apart setting up the long mess we’ve been in.