If Watson doesn't happen, which do you prefer?

If Watson doesn't happen, which do you prefer?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. If the Watson trade doesn't happen, which of these do you prefer?

• Sam Darnold Re-roll
    • Zack Wilson
    • Justin Fields
    • Trey Lance
    • Mac Jones
    • A-veteran-to-be-named-later (specify below)

12 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Alright, so Trask in the mid rounds + trade down from #2 + keep Sam. 

Respect the originality. 

I think 90% of the board is down for all-in on Watson, even we all put different prices on 'all-in', so I didn't include it. But we're definitely in agreement on Watson being the #1 choice.

Let me be clear, it's likely a very stupid idea (Trask & Sam cheap option). LOL, Trask is likely a never-was and Sam is a bust.

But then again, many of these options/choices don't exactly feel like sure things either.

Fields, Wilson, Jones, Lance, Trask. I wish I know which ones had the right stuff, they're all flawed in pretty noticeable ways.

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Let me be clear, it's likely a very stupid idea (Trask & Sam cheap option). LOL, Trask is likely a never-was and Sam is a bust.

But then again, many of these options/choices don't exactly feel like sure things either.

Fields, Wilson, Jones, Lance, Trask. I wish I know which ones had the right stuff, they're all flawed in pretty noticeable ways.

Listen, I mean, it's pretty clear by now that even the most accomplished NFL talent evaluators suck at picking quarterbacks.

Ozzie Newsome drafted Kyle Boller.

So it's pretty safe to say all of us on this board know f***-all about these prospects.

But it's fun to put your name on it. 

• Haha 1

Like the song says WE MAY NEVER PASS THIS WAY AGAIN, PICKING AT #2 overall, I refuse to believe that it's a slam dunk that Trevor Lawrence will be the best QB in this draft when all is said & done.

I watched Clemson games just to find out what all the fuss was about & saw 90% of his passes go less than 10 yards & phenomenal athletes run past lesser athletes. I'm not saying Trevor Lawrence will be a bad NFL QB, I just don't see Andrew Luck slam dunk NFL QB. 

So, based on flip flopping for weeks I'm going Justin Fields at #2. Plays hurt, big & physical, big arm, great movement skills which translate to this new NFL. Reminds me of a much more accurate Donavan McNabb. 

If the Jets chose Wilson at #2, I'm all for that too. He's skinny but 6-3", accurate, gets the ball out quickly & also moves really well. He reminds me of a much more mobile Kirk Cousins. 

16 hours ago, batman10023 said:

imagine if we trade down from #2 pick and get a 2022 first rounder.  we suck again with darnold this coming year and we get a high pick next year.  3 solid first rounders next year.  2 firsts this year.  lots of 2nds.  re-make this team in a year.

Tanking 2021 is not a good or necessary solution.  We have the 2nd most cap space in a year when the cap is going down and roughly a third of NFL teams are in cap hell.  This year is a year where the Jets ought to shoot for the playoffs, even if the QB is a rookie or a bridge QB of some sort.  2020 was the last year for tanking to be acceptable.

If you're sticking with Darnold, you're doing so with the hopes that he turns things around under the new staff.  Hoping for Darnold to return and saying "if we tank, we tank" is a loser's mentality that should not be entertained.  Darnold sucks and its extremely improbable that he turns things around after 3 years of suckage.  There are far better options out there that involve Darnold NOT being the primary QB option in 2021.  

• Upvote 1

I voted Sam re-roll because I think he can be an adequate to better game manager and with all those draft picks Douglas can rebuild the team. But if they could get a vet like Carr and it does not cost us too much it would be even better. I would take Carr or Jimmy G over Darnold.  

16 hours ago, oatmeal said:

If we suck with Sam this year, Sam and Joe Douglas will be crucified all season long. Especially if one of those first round QBs ball out 

Exactly.  Douglas going all in on Darnold in 2021 would be a firable offense on its own.  He needs to at bare minimum bring in legitimate competition for the job.  I don't imagine Saleh would be thrilled to have his first season here essentially ruined by poor QB play, either.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Dude, I didn't see Flacco, Johnson,  Rypien,  or Foles hoisting it either.  You go your way and I'll go mine...

Rypien and Johnson played QB in an era of football that is unrecognizable today.  Flacco and Foles are the extreme exception and not at all the rule.  And even then, Flacco and Foles played great in the postseason.  QB play still drove the results of those postseasons and Super Bowls.  You can't win a Super Bowl with C level QB play or worse.  

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I voted Sam re-roll because I think he can be an adequate to better game manager and with all those draft picks Douglas can rebuild the team. But if they could get a vet like Carr and it does not cost us too much it would be even better. I would take Carr or Jimmy G over Darnold.  

Why do people think of Darnold as a "game manager"?  This is the worst description of Darnold that one can possibly come up with.  He's a gunslinger who loves throwing into triple coverage.

Sign Tyrod Taylor if you want a game manager.   He's only thrown 20 INT's in his career to date.  Darnold has 39 of those in just 3 seasons.  

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rypien and Johnson played QB in an era of football that is unrecognizable today.  Flacco and Foles are the extreme exception and not at all the rule.  And even then, Flacco and Foles played great in the postseason.  QB play still drove the results of those postseasons and Super Bowls.  You can't win a Super Bowl with C level QB play or worse.  

Agreed.  If you want a team to contend for a decade, you need to be built around that top 5 QB,

• Russell WIlson's Seahawks.  8 playoff appearances in 9 years.
  • Ben Roethlisberger's Steelers. 11 playoff apperances in 17 years
  • Aaron Rodgers Packers. 10 playoff apperances in 13 years
  • Drew Brees Saints. 9 playoff appearances in 15 years

Thats not even mentioning guys like Manning and Brady.  Or young guys like Mahomes (3 for 3), Allen (2 for 3), Jackson (3 for 3).  Even Deshaun Watson, who some think is a waste for going 4-12 this season has two playoff apperances in 3 seasons as a starter.

We have the #2 pick in the draft.  And a 25 year old top 5 NFL QB might be on the market.  I want this team to go for the guy who can have us contend for a decade.  Not build a team around an average QB (at best) and hope to steal a wild card a couple of times and hope for a magical run in one of those seasons.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Bronx said:

tenor (3).gif

This^. It never changes,  reading through all the threads, watching said prospects, knowing who you think the Jets should draft then  boom,  we get Hackenberged. While we have to sit back and watch Mahomes, Watson, etc etc etc go on and have success. I have zero faith in us picking a QB

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pac said:

Despite 80s frantic spamming I see the lead for Run it Back With Sam has actually increased.

Good job boys!

40 % of Jets fans like failure.  This is no surprise.  Masochism is part of the deal for many who choose to root for this abomination of an organization.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

Spiderella? 

Its a statement of fact.  41% favor rolling it back with Sam.  I am surprised it is that high.  But a majority prefer that we move on.  No spin.  Fact.

Fact is that of the choice between Sam, Fields, and Wilson, Sam is leading overwhelmingly.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed. 

Just as it is also a fact that of the choice between keeping Sam or moving on. majority prefer moving on.  

And the Darnold vote count would take a pretty sizable hit if Watson had been included as an option.  And maybe even a slight additional hit if alternative veteran options were included.

A distrust of rookie QB's on JN isn't surprising, given the history of picks made at the position. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, CSNY said:

Would like to see them trade down for a haul keep Sam and pick up Mac Jones somewhere middle to late first round. Build team first as there are way too many needs as of now and after talent is upgraded then a fair determination can be made of Sam and Jones then let them compete for the spot along with Captain Morgan 

Give this guy the cigar

The least exciting pick right now is fields, strangely. But he might be the best option. Taylor is close, but seems like theres more risk involved.

either way if it were me id keep sam and draft a qb in round 1 and may the best man win. If sam plays lights out, sign him and trade fields/taylor next year. Or just keep em around for another year. 

why is this a bad idea? Dont you think someone would trade you a first round pick plus for a young Unused taylor/ fields next year?

not sure whay this isnt the by far safest route with the most upside