RIP Marty Schottenheimer

RIP

I remember watching a piece when he was with the Browns or the Chiefs.  They were up big at the half and punted and downed the ball.  They went into the lockeroom all elated.  He let them celebrate and joined in with a few words about how great they'd played.  Then he pointed out that they should not have touched the ball because the clock would have kept running until the refs blew the whistle.  I don't know how to describe it, but most guys would have killed the mood with the nitpick or just forgotten the minor mistake.  He didn't.  He handled it as a teacher without being a douche.  I was just a kid, but I was impressed.

• Upvote 2

Marty was one of the big dogs back in the day. Rest in peace. My thoughts go out to his family, obviously Brian.

I lived with my mother while she battled cancer for 4 years and eventually succumbed to it. If you've never been there you don't want to be. Especially when it's the patriarch of the family. Watching somebody fight a losing battle while you feel totally helpless is not fun to say the least.

I think Brian just realized there's a lot more important things than football. My heart goes out to him and I send positive vibes towards your healing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

My most heartbreaking loss as a Jets fan was the divisional round playoff game of the 1986 season. The Jets lost to the Browns who were coached by Marty Schottenheimer. RIP to an underrated HC. 

Great Coach and man, may he rest in peace, but I am unsure how his coaching led to to the Jets roughing the QB penalty that kept the Browns in the game.

22 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Great Coach and man, may he rest in peace, but I am unsure how his coaching led to to the Jets roughing the QB penalty that kept the Browns in the game.

I knew we were going to lose when Gastineau roughed Kosar.

Schottenheimer got screwed when the Chargers fired him after going 15-1 in 2006 but losing to the Patriots in playoffs because the defender fumbled after intercepting Brady. All the defender had to do was go down after the interception and the game was over!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Man u guys know a ton of people that had alz!

Unforunately, it's that prevalent. Dementia related disease is the 6th leading cause of death in the country. Don't believe everything you read, because I'm convinced it's way higher. I've been saying that for a long time. 

We are so assbackwards about death and the dying process in this country in the first place, but if dementia isn't a first line qualification for elective euthanasia, I don't know what is. We show more love, empathy, and compassion to our dogs.

Some will say that Alzheimer's, for example, isn't suffering. How can someone be suffering when they don't know what their name is? I call such bs on that. They're suffering.

A friend of mine's relative was end stage dementia in a nursing facility. She got COVID-19 at the height of the death rate and wouldn't stop screaming in fear because everybody was wearing HAZMAT suits. When she was actively dying then and only then was any family allowed to say goodbye one by one. All she did was scream in terror, "WHO ARE YOU?! WHAT IS THIS PLACE?!" Ugh.

I have had this discussion with the old man many times. If I should ever get diagnosed with dementia I am the fck out of here when I am still lucid, no regrets, no question. I also encourage EVERYONE to have an end of life conversation with as many friends and loved ones as possible in case some pain in the ass moralizer - we all have one of those - tries to step in legally or otherwise and insert themselves where they don't belong. Also, WRITE IT DOWN, WRITE IT DOWN, WRITE IT DOWN and get it notarized. It will stand up in court.

Horror story for a reason: A couple of people went over my near death head when I was in a coma not expected to live and there was a tidal wave of anger and resentment when I found out about it by accident two years later. It caused a tremendous rift because everyone knew how I felt and they did it, anyway.  The horror story part wasn't the coma. It was disregarding the wishes of a comatose person when they knew what those wishes were when I was upright.

Anyway, I saw this as an opportunity to say that I can't impress it upon people enough to get things in place when you are LUCID. Blessings and strength to everyone who is currently watching a friend or loved one disintegrate and lose their dignity, their soul, their personality, and their existence while they're still breathing, and of course the stress, emotional drain, guilt, and wreckage of the people who have to deal with a humam amoeba they no longer recognize. The ripple effect is terrible. RIP.