Perriman and Mims don't talk about fight club.. if fight club is Sam Darnold.

pointman

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Perriman's numbers when paired with Flacco:

• 11 catches on 19 targets (58 % catch rate)
  • 217 yards
  • 3 TD's
  • 11.4 yards per target

Perriman's numbers with Darnold:

• 19 catches on 41 targets (46 % catch rate)
  • 288 yards
  • 0 TD's
  • 7.0 yards per target

Yeah, Perriman was the problem.

Maybe because perriman dropped a ton of balls when darnold was throwing or do you not even watch the games at all?

Flacco produced a total of 10 points in his 1st two games.  Flacco won zero games.

Darnold was lousy last year but bolstering the argument that darnold was bad by pumping up Joe Flacco is just foolish.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, he was one of our many problems.

As was Mims unreliability and lack of personal performance.

Whomever our QB is in 2021, and I hope it's someone better than Sam, I also hope whomever our WR's are (Mims assuredly, not sure today who else we'll have by then) will perform materially better.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sam is a mush. A true beta male. SoCal avocado toast. A simp. A twink. A surf-brah. A sub. A gimp. A weakling. Nice guy, but all the leadership traits of Pauly Shore

To be fair, he had to carry Encino Man on his gd back. 

And obviously BioDome is another great example of elevating others despite having little to work with.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Maybe because perriman dropped a ton of balls when darnold was throwing or do you not even watch the games at all?

Flacco produced a total of 10 points in his 1st two games.  Flacco won zero games.

Darnold was lousy last year but bolstering the argument that darnold was bad by pumping up Joe Flacco is just foolish.

Comparing Darnold unfavorably to Flacco isn't pumping Flacco.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Stuff like this is my biggest concern about Sam. I want to write off a lot of what happened and blame it on Gase. But there is so much that is hard to overlook, the long ball is at the top of that list.

Meanwhile, Mims averaged 8.9 yards per target with Flacco.  7.7 with Darnold.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, he was one of our many problems.

As was Mims unreliability and lack of personal performance.

Whomever our QB is in 2021, and I hope it's someone better than Sam, I also hope whomever our WR's are (Mims assuredly, not sure today who else we'll have by then) will perform materially better.

I absolutely expect upgrades and better play out of the WR's.  Agreed.  Just wanted to demonstrate that we DO know of a QB other than Darnold who played better under the same set of circumstances as Darnold. 

Perriman being forced into a WR1/WR2 role was problematic.  But the bigger problem in the Darnold-Perriman relationship was clearly Darnold.  

• Upvote 2

A couple of thoughts:

Mims and Perriman only really played with Darnold after he injured his throwing shoulder. I imagine his velocity was down after the Broncos game. And if that is true, the bigger concern is you have to hope the shoulder strength comes back - regardless if he plays here or elsewhere.

Wide receivers - even the crappy ones - are mercurial divas who will complain if they don't get thrown the damn ball.  I'm not sure why anyone would take what they say seriously.

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

A couple of thoughts:

Mims and Perriman only really played with Darnold after he injured his throwing shoulder. I imagine his velocity was down after the Broncos game. And if that is true, the bigger concern is you have to hope the shoulder strength comes back - regardless if he plays here or elsewhere.

Wide receivers - even the crappy ones - are mercurial divas who will complain if they don't get thrown the damn ball.  I'm not sure why anyone would take what they say seriously.

the concern is that darnold keeps injuring his throwing shoulder.  

13 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Interesting.

I give the kid a ton of sh*t because of his opponents, the great protection he had, the one year wonder element, the shoulder surgeries and, of course, the Mormon thing. 

But I've got to say, I watched this recently. This was his 'bad' game, and I actually was expecting a lot worse. There's still a lot to respect here:

Still wary of him, as I am of Fields. Still think the rest of our team needs improvement before we can expect any young quarterback to develop, but I do understand why both are worthy of high selections. 

I'd just rather do something like this:

324374893_ScreenShot2021-02-03at7_51_04PM.thumb.png.a1cf7e73c997e44c0be9d7b089c66fa4.png

Not so much his bad game, but a game against a step up in competition. CC was a pretty solid team last year .

• Upvote 1

In no world has Anderson and perriman ever been in the same planet. 

Anderson has always looked like a very good #2 being held back by bad QB play. He got maybe not even mediocre just not horrible QB play and his numbers went up this year. A blind person could see that coming, but not some posters here.

Perriman has always been a inconsistent often injured bust who will flash for a few games here and there and should never be relied on for more than depth/WR#4. Last season he was often injured and inconsistent with a few flash games. Same player he has been his whole career.

Mims had a disappointing rookie season with a few flashes here and there. In no world did he look like a future WR1. He looked like a raw rookie with some potential. He was hampered by Darnold and looked better with flacco. At this point its hard to say what we have with him.

I’m all about getting Watson but Sam Darnold’ potential is vastly underrated. He’s had below average receivers, below average running backs, below average tight ends, and a below average offensive line. Let’s not forget the coaches that he had on his side. 

I’m not saying Sam is going to be a franchise QB but I definitely feel like the tools are there. Everything we’re supposed to do for a young QB, we have done the complete opposite. 

Look at the Browns, for example. First and foremost, great offensive line. They also have the best 1-2 punch in the backfield. They also have a phenomenal receivers and a safety blanket in Austin Hooper. 

We, on the other hand, neglected the offensive line, signed Bell which obviously failed, proceeded to let the receiver he had chemistry with walk and sign Perriman. The Jets have completely failed Sam Darnold. At this point, we’re supposed to have a clear idea on whether or not this kid can take us to the promise land and we do not because we failed to support him. I’m not willing to take the risk anymore and pass up on Watson. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sam is a mush. A true beta male. SoCal avocado toast. A simp. A twink. A surf-brah. A sub. A gimp. A weakling. Nice guy, but all the leadership traits of Pauly Shore. 

sounds like darnold can take on the personality of his coacg.  gase seemed like a pretty cold and humorless guy.  can't say saleh has a ton of humor but it seems like he has quite a bit more fire.  darnold, if he stays, will get the fire from him.

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

A couple of thoughts:

just stop tv land GIF by #Impastor

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

even worse, and it doesn't get brought up in the wilson vs darnold discussions.  darnold's indecision dooms him, it's not when he scrambles it's when he holds the ball too long.

There's you tube video after you tube video showing the Jet WR's failure to get separation. Maybe Darnold should be commended for hanging in there to see if he can make a play. He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am telling you that "can make all the throws" doesn't mean sh*t.  I honestly think it is code for mediocre arm.

People have talked about Darnold like this forever, and it’s bizarre. There was some article from NJ.com just yesterday that said he was “gifted physically” right there in the headline. Compared to who? Physically speaking he’s not in the same universe as guys like Mahomes, Allen, or Jackson.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

In no world has Anderson and perriman ever been in the same planet. 

Anderson has always looked like a very good #2 being held back by bad QB play. He got maybe not even mediocre just not horrible QB play and his numbers went up this year. A blind person could see that coming, but not some posters here.

Perriman has always been a inconsistent often injured bust who will flash for a few games here and there and should never be relied on for more than depth/WR#4. Last season he was often injured and inconsistent with a few flash games. Same player he has been his whole career.

Mims had a disappointing rookie season with a few flashes here and there. In no world did he look like a future WR1. He looked like a raw rookie with some potential. He was hampered by Darnold and looked better with flacco. At this point its hard to say what we have with him.

Anderson averaged over 4 more yds a catch and more td's with Darnold. Carolina made better use of him on shorter routes, because he was such a deep threat. Something be was starting to do here, before we foolishly let him sign elsewhere.

23 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

People have talked about Darnold like this forever, and it’s bizarre. There was some article from NJ.com just yesterday that said he was “gifted physically” right there in the headline. Compared to who? Physically speaking he’s not in the same universe as guys like Mahomes, Allen, or Jackson.

He's a terrific athlete. That's why he was a 5 star football recruit. And a 3 star recruit in basketball. Don't be silly.

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

oh wow

Your lying to yourself if you don't think Darnold is a good athlete. Did you see his 55 yd td run. H e made good athletes miss, three or four times during that run. Players around the league we're tweeting about that run. Does that mean he's a good QB. No. He is a hell of an athlete though.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perriman's numbers when paired with Flacco:

• 11 catches on 19 targets (58 % catch rate)
  • 217 yards
  • 3 TD's
  • 11.4 yards per target

Perriman's numbers with Darnold:

• 19 catches on 41 targets (46 % catch rate)
  • 288 yards
  • 0 TD's
  • 7.0 yards per target

I'm not saying it's all on perriman, as darnold has his flaws for sure. However, as much as I like perriman as a player with big upside I've seen him drop more easy catches than I've seen other wrs drop, maybe they stand out since he wasn't targeted much. I remember people complaining that Braylon Edwards dropped a lot of passes. but it never stood out to me whereas I've noticed it with perriman. I wouldn't be upset to see him back either, but he's gotta work on what I guess is a concentration issue. It's also quite possible that while I saw some ugly drops maybe the catch rate doesn't take into account poor throws that wouldn't be the WR's fault. There was plenty of suck on the Jets to go around, no one gets left out.  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-catch-rate