Joe Theismann says he would take Zach Wilson over Trevor Lawrence

Jetsbb

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Wilson will be the best QB coming out of this draft.

He's an amazing prospect with an elite skill-set perfectly suited for todays NFL.

Not drafting him will be added to the long list of the NYJ passing on future QB stars, at a time when we need one! 

Not giving yourself many outs of that corner you've painted yourself into.

• Upvote 1

For all we know, the Jags feel the same way....it’ll be hilarious around here if we end up trading away No 2 and then Trevor Lawrence is sitting there!....after all that anguish ?.......probably as good a reason as any that a trade, whether for Watson or trading down, only happens when the Jags have fully committed to TL(which only ever truly happens when the pick is in or a few days prior to the draft when they start talking contract). So this is likely going to be a long and intriguing few weeks.

personally I don’t love Lawrence but I’m no expert so whatever will be will be. It’s highly unlikely of course but but stranger things have happened and would make for a wild and entertaining ride between now and April.....strap in everyone

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

At least he has a definitive stance.

Theer were a few huge Mahommes fans on this site that stuck with him no matter what that were scoffed at.

And kudos to them....there were far fewer at the time that now claim to have been...same for Watson. Suddenly these ‘huge’ PM15 & DW4 fans are everywhere and they all knew both would be this good all along!! ?....it’s remarkable really as I don’t remember the unanimous clamour for either back at the time

Personally I was like most people....I’d have been happy with him with a trade back from 6 but very few people had either Mahomes or Watson tagged with the No 6 pick....fair play to the handful who legitimately were right then, as opposed the many who are only ever right about anything after the event.

54 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

This reminds me of when Ron Jaworski told us that Kellen Clemens was the best QB in the draft.

He ended up being 2nd-best. Or anyway, he had the longest career lol. That’s something, isn’t it? Isn’t it? OK, it isn’t.

But trading down to take Clemens in the bottom half of round 2 was a better move than Manginenbaum looking to trade up into the top 10 again to take Leinart, who personified the point that throwing to two elite WRs doesn’t make one into an elite QB.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Not giving yourself many outs of that corner you've painted yourself into.

Watch his videos - check out his skill-set.  Put the noise aside about competition level and his high school injury.

Watch the way he moves, the explosive arm, the anticipation, his accuracy, the fact that he doesn't stare down receivers (ever)

Honestly, I really don't see him busting.  His floor is Baker Mayfield.

• Upvote 1

Why is this so hard to believe... While the criticism against Mac Jones is that he was able to stand in a clean pocket the entire year and throw strikes to wide open receivers, the same can be said about TL... In the only game that TL had pressure in his face on a consistent basis was against OSU, he failed big time. So there is no CLEAR cut #1 QB pick in this years draft. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Wait, he wasn’t? 

Actually, no, but probably the 3d or 4th best in the virtually worthless 2006 QB class. Ironically, Brad Smith was drafted as a QB that year and had a more productive playing career than all but one of the QBs. . Here is my ranking:

Jay Cutler

Bruce Gradkowski

Tarvaris Jackson

Kellen Clemons

Charlie Whithurst

Matt Leinhart

Vince Young

Brodie Croyle

22 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Why is this so hard to believe... While the criticism against Mac Jones is that he was able to stand in a clean pocket the entire year and throw strikes to wide open receivers, the same can be said about TL... In the only game that TL had pressure in his face on a consistent basis was against OSU, he failed big time. So there is no CLEAR cut #1 QB pick in this years draft. 

Ironically, the other QBs earn their chops by having a solid game against the pro D that Bama fields, but Jones doesn't get that opportunity. Perhaps he has some practice footage against the bama 1's he can share with the scouts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

He's an amazing prospect with an elite skill-set perfectly suited for todays NFL.

Not drafting him will be added to the long list of the NYJ passing on future QB stars, at a time when we need one! 

I hope fervently that Urban Meyer agrees with this take and Theismann.  That would be the 'anti-Jetsiest' thing ever.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

He's a small guy who played in a small conference vs. inferior competition. And has 2 prior shoulder surgeries. How does that work? 

11 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Ironically, the other QBs earn their chops by having a solid game against the pro D that Bama fields, but Jones doesn't get that opportunity. Perhaps he has some practice footage against the bama 1's he can share with the scouts.

Jones is not getting picked with the #2 pick. But if the jets don't make any Watson move and he's there at 23, Jones would be hard to pass up. Heck, if they could trade the whole draft for the Bama trio of Harris, Smith and Jones, DONE. 

All this tells me is that there is no real consensus after Lawrence, and that even Lawrence isn't as universally adored as some like to think.

QB, in this coming draft, is IMO a complete crapshoot.  People can claim they "know" who will be good at the NFL level, they don't.  They're all guessing.  

And so will NFL GM's this cycle, given the lack of normal eval. tools pre-draft.

• Upvote 2