Joe Theismann says he would take Zach Wilson over Trevor Lawrence

Jetsbb

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

This reminds me of when Ron Jaworski told us that Kellen Clemens was the best QB in the draft.

He ended up as the second best, didn't he? Had an 12 year career, longer than any other QB taken that draft other than Cutler, who also played 12 years. 

It's just that nobody in that class ended up all that great

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

For all we know, the Jags feel the same way....it’ll be hilarious around here if we end up trading away No 2 and then Trevor Lawrence is sitting there!....after all that anguish ?.......probably as good a reason as any that a trade, whether for Watson or trading down, only happens when the Jags have fully committed to TL(which only ever truly happens when the pick is in or a few days prior to the draft when they start talking contract). So this is likely going to be a long and intriguing few weeks.

personally I don’t love Lawrence but I’m no expert so whatever will be will be. It’s highly unlikely of course but but stranger things have happened and would make for a wild and entertaining ride between now and April.....strap in everyone

Amen. Preach brother....preach.

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

He ended up as the second best, didn't he? Had an 12 year career, longer than any other QB taken that draft other than Cutler, who also played 12 years. 

It's just that nobody in that class ended up all that great

Glad someone else pointed this out (re: Clemens)

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Wilson will be the best QB coming out of this draft.

He's an amazing prospect with an elite skill-set perfectly suited for todays NFL.

Not drafting him will be added to the long list of the NYJ passing on future QB stars, at a time when we need one! 

If we take Wilson, Fields would become that guy. If we pass on him, he (Wilson) would become a first ballot hall of famer. 

#PoorJets

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

For all we know, the Jags feel the same way....it’ll be hilarious around here if we end up trading away No 2 and then Trevor Lawrence is sitting there!....after all that anguish ?.......probably as good a reason as any that a trade, whether for Watson or trading down, only happens when the Jags have fully committed to TL(which only ever truly happens when the pick is in or a few days prior to the draft when they start talking contract). So this is likely going to be a long and intriguing few weeks.

personally I don’t love Lawrence but I’m no expert so whatever will be will be. It’s highly unlikely of course but but stranger things have happened and would make for a wild and entertaining ride between now and April.....strap in everyone

If JD trades the 2nd pick before the draft he should be fired. Seriously. 

That would be a gross mismanagement of leverage. I would dare say that includes trading it for Watson. 

Theres simply no way at this point to know what world breaking offer could happen in those few minutes. The best thing for the Jets is to wait until they are on the clock and only THEN make whatever move they are going to make. Be it trade for Watson, trade back, or select a player in that slot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

9 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

If we take Wilson, Fields would become that guy. If we pass on him, he (Wilson) would become a first ballot hall of famer. 

#PoorJets

That's very SOJey...

As a fan I have hope we can find the right guy and turn this thing around - When it comes to QB's we've consistently made the wrong choices for over 50 years...but eventually we'll get it right.  Maybe this is the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

analysts want the contrarian view, they can get major kudos if they're right but don't face any consequences if they're wrong.  they don't get fired for saying trubisky is great, but they could get fired for trading up for him.  

100%, just throw out the boldest dumb sh*t ever, if you hit, you're a genius, if you miss, nobody cares.

• Upvote 1

In a vacuum I'd probably do the same thing. I think Wilson's ceiling is higher the way Mahomes' ceiling is higher than Watson's. The floor is way lower and the scheme/talent around him need to be built to his style, but if you coach him properly, implement the right scheme, and put a ton of speed on the field... omg 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

All this tells me is that there is no real consensus after Lawrence, and that even Lawrence isn't as universally adored as some like to think.

QB, in this coming draft, is IMO a complete crapshoot.  People can claim they "know" who will be good at the NFL level, they don't.  They're all guessing.  

And so will NFL GM's this cycle, given the lack of normal eval. tools pre-draft.

All this tells me is that Joe Theismann got people to think/talk about Joe Theismann for the first time since 2006.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Why is this so hard to believe... While the criticism against Mac Jones is that he was able to stand in a clean pocket the entire year and throw strikes to wide open receivers, the same can be said about TL... In the only game that TL had pressure in his face on a consistent basis was against OSU, he failed big time. So there is no CLEAR cut #1 QB pick in this years draft. 

I agree. It also doesn't mean the guys that rarely see pressure won't adjust to it as they get more practice against it. I think Wilson's ability to scan the field quickly and not lock on to his receivers makes him more likely to adjust at the next level.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Actually, no, but probably the 3d or 4th best in the virtually worthless 2006 QB class. Ironically, Brad Smith was drafted as a QB that year and had a more productive playing career than all but one of the QBs. . Here is my ranking:

Jay Cutler

Bruce Gradkowski

Tarvaris Jackson

Kellen Clemons

Charlie Whithurst

Matt Leinhart

Vince Young

Brodie Croyle

Oh my...

If this list doesn't speak to the complete and utter crapshoot drafting a QB is...

Go get Deshaun, JD...

• Upvote 1

The only way JD waits until draft day to make a move is if he is sticking with Sam. Otherwise, it makes no sense to wait for Watson. Houston will need to know one way or the other so they'll make a deal without us. If we don't grab Watson, we'll stay put and pick Wilson and start fresh on a rookie QB contract and build around him with all of our picks. There is no downside to picking Wilson - he'll play better than Sam in the offense immediately.

• Upvote 3

Sean Payton said he realized Mahomes was the best QB prospect he ever saw after his private workout with them. There are not private workouts allowed this offseason and only 3 personnel for each team at their pro day. It is possible the Jets underestimate Wilson and pass on him when they would've grabbed him if it was a normal offseason.

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Why is this so hard to believe... While the criticism against Mac Jones is that he was able to stand in a clean pocket the entire year and throw strikes to wide open receivers, the same can be said about TL... In the only game that TL had pressure in his face on a consistent basis was against OSU, he failed big time. So there is no CLEAR cut #1 QB pick in this years draft. 

Did he?  The team was beaten by OSU, who along with Fields played a great game.  But the Lawrence fail everyone wants to bring up in the two games he lost in three seasons at Clemson he went 33 for 48, 400yards, 68.88% .2 TDs and a pick.  I'd take that against a top team every time

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Did he?  The team was beaten by OSU, who along with Fields played a great game.  But the Lawrence fail everyone wants to bring up in the two games he lost in three seasons at Clemson he went 33 for 48, 400yards, 68.88% .2 TDs and a pick.  I'd take that against a top team every time

Half of those 400 yards where to Etienne flaring our of the back field...  I'm not saying he's a bad QB, I was just making the point that not 1 of the 4 QB's being talked up this year are worth are a SURE thing...

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He ended up being 2nd-best. Or anyway, he had the longest career lol. That’s something, isn’t it? Isn’t it? OK, it isn’t.

But trading down to take Clemens in the bottom half of round 2 was a better move than Manginenbaum looking to trade up into the top 10 again to take Leinart, who personified the point that throwing to two elite WRs doesn’t make one into an elite QB.

@T0mShane

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Half of those 400 yards where to Etienne flaring our of the back field...  I'm not saying he's a bad QB, I was just making the point that not 1 of the 4 QB's being talked up this year are worth are a SURE thing...

Its amazing to me the way we can shlt on 68% comp for 400 yards, 2-1 TD/INT rate against a top ranked team when it suits us.  I dont care how we slice it, he wasnt terrible and it was all of the 2nd loss hes ever had in his 3 year college career.  

I'm not saying anyone is a sure thing but Lawrence is as sure a thing as there is coming out of college

37 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Why? Do you work security for the Jets? Otherwise who gives a S about public blow back.

I do.  I enjoy reading this board.  I wouldn't particularly care to read about how the Jets blew it by not taking a guy most posters don't have a clue about. For 6 months.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I do.  I enjoy reading this board.  I wouldn't particularly care to read about how the Jets blew it by not taking a guy most posters don't have a clue about. For 6 months.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

What is your favorite meal? Aside, from that what would we do here generally if not reading and responding to people who don't have a clue a good amount of the time? Plus, you can always avoid the potential "Lawrence fell to us and he busted while Trey Lance dethroned Mahomes" threads.