Would you trade up to #1 if the Jags didn’t want Lawrence?

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm not sure where I heard this before (maybe from a post by you?)  I find it shocking, if true.

Is there any corroboration for this allegation?  

Just one more thing to add that makes this all seem more credible to me when I heard it.  As I'm sure you know, MANY Jets fans are not fond of the job the owner has done.  And people who worked for the Jets in the past like Parcells and Belichick obviously ran for the hills after being introduced to the new owner.

I should also say.  There are other people that don't like the Jets for the same reasons.  Powerful people that own NFL teams and have the hear of the league office. 

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Yes.  They could have.  Players were never given any motive or instruction to play below their best abilities. but the GM traded away players that would have certainly given them a few more wins, and coaches did not put the players they had in the best place to win.  In the pro game, things are very competitive.  In order to lose every single game, only a few veiled efforts have to be made to accomplish that.  You dont need players on board with it.  Just the owner, GM and HC

What players did the Jets trade away/relaese that would have won them more games? The Jets were not tearing it down until mid season. We released Bell because he wanted off the team and sucked,  and we traded McClendon but these were not players winning us anything. I fully believe the Jets as an organization tried to win every game. Tanking is for the fans. The only place it works is the NBA and even their it isn't  a sure thing. Do you know why only 3 teams are winless? Because it takes a lot of bad luck to be that bad. We beat the Rams because their O didn't  show up and we beat the Browns because of Covid, not because suddenly CJ said, hey, I'm getting pressure  from the league so let's  start playing for real.

I have to say, I don't  even think I have heard a more far fetched conspiracy on the news in the last week and that is saying a lot. 

30 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Who would ??? I don't know it first hand, but I trust the person that told me.  Going to add here.  Just conjecture, but it may have been that CJ was actually threatened with the loss of the first over-all draft pick for deliberately loosing games.  If CJ knew that their DC was ordered to throw the game and that DC was disgruntled and ready to talk... That would be enough of a pretext for a league official to make a case against them and enough motive for CJ and JD to worry and start winning to avoid scandal and a loss of a draft pick

This is nonsense to me. If something were even 20% that serious, it would get out and leak. Its 2021. 

It directly violates occams razor too. The simplest answer to what happened is that we just sucked and we had one of the hardest SOS in the season but played well after we let go of a DC that was giving up 40 points a game. 

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What players did the Jets trade away/relaese that would have won them more games? The Jets were not tearing it down until mid season. We released Bell because he wanted off the team and sucked,  and we traded McClendon but these were not players winning us anything. I fully believe the Jets as an organization tried to win every game. Tanking is for the fans. The only place it works is the NBA and even their it isn't  a sure thing. Do you know why only 3 teams are winless? Because it takes a lot of bad luck to be that bad. We beat the Rams because their O didn't  show up and we beat the Browns because of Covid, not because suddenly CJ said, hey, I'm getting pressure  from the league so let's  start playing for real.

I have to say, I don't  even think I have heard a more far fetched conspiracy on the news in the last week and that is saying a lot. 

The idea of tanking was not adopted until around game 5 or 6.  

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This is nonsense to me. If something were even 20% that serious, it would get out and leak. Its 2021. 

It directly violates occams razor too. The simplest answer to what happened is that we just sucked and we had one of the hardest SOS in the season but played well after we let go of a DC that was giving up 40 points a game. 

Agree fully.  It is hard to believe and there are no good reasons to believe any of it

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Agree fully.  It is hard to believe and there are no good reasons to believe any of it

I have no doubt CJ was hoping for the suck to continue, but highly doubt he directed anyone to do anything. 

Also, no way would the league actually punish a team if they found out in secret that it happened. It would destroy the credibility of the NFL, probably surpassing Spygate. 

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The idea of tanking was not adopted until around game 5 or 6.  

My point is, it was adopted by the fans. Tanking is a fan thing. The only sport where management  can influence tanking is the NBA because trading away one really good player on a team has a massive effect in that sport. 

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

My point is, it was adopted by the fans. Tanking is a fan thing. The only sport where management  can influence tanking is the NBA because trading away one really good player on a team has a massive effect in that sport. 

I don't agree.  See Jim Irsay and the Colts and Andrew Luck.  Even the players were laughing at the tank job. 

39 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I have no doubt CJ was hoping for the suck to continue, but highly doubt he directed anyone to do anything. 

Also, no way would the league actually punish a team if they found out in secret that it happened. It would destroy the credibility of the NFL, probably surpassing Spygate. 

Yep.  A tank job orchestrated  by an owner and GM would be a big deal if proven.  And I think that is the point that was driven home to Johnson.  The only way they could dispel such talk from a former Jets coach would be to start winning games.  Or else... 

I like Gun Slinger's over Thoroughbred's.

Citation: @football guy

Thoroughbred/Cerebral Precision Passers: There are QBs out there that I believe just know how to play from a young age because they are well trained, have a high football IQ, are good decision-makers, and are going to fulfill their potential regardless what's going on around them... they have high floors and could have high ceilings as well. At their very worst they're game managers, at their very best they're cerebral prerecession passers who know how to beat a defense in a variety of ways. You don't have to alter tailor your offense to these players; they'll come in and execute what you ask, and the player's raw talent will determine how explosive that offense can be. QB prospects that come to mind... 

• Trevor Lawrence 
  • Deshaun Watson:  Should be in the Gunslinger section
  • Andrew Luck 
  • Matt Ryan 
  • Carson Wentz
  • Teddy Bridgewater 
  • Blaine Gabbert 
  • Josh Rosen 
  • Matthew Stafford
  • Daniel Jones 
  • Ben Roethlisberger

Gunslinger/Developmental System Passers; Then, there are unconventional QBs who have rare, explosive characteristics which if harnessed and developed properly, could result in elite production. They're pretty much multi-sport athletes who just have "it". These, in my mind, are developmental/system QBs... but when I say "developmental/system" it's no disrespect to that player. They could easily develop into the games top QB (see Aaron Rodgers), but they need a lot more "hand holding" early on as it pertains to coaching, scheme, game plan, and responsibilities. Once they fully mature they can beat defenses cerebrally, but it will take a lot more coaching than your traditional "thoroughbred". However, they can just as easily fall flat if they're not paired with the right coach/scheme early on. Some QBs that come to mind... 

• Zach Wilson
  • Patrick Mahomes 
  • Aaron Rodgers 
  • Kyler Murray 
  • Sam Darnold 
  • Josh Allen 
  • Cam Newton
  • Derek Carr 
  • Ryan Tannehill 
  • Alex Smith 
  • Mitchell Trubisky
  • Russell Wilson

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

53 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

AM I THE ONLY ONE WONDERING WHY, IF THE JAGS DON'T WANT LAWRENCE, THEN WHY WOULD THE JETS NEED TO TRADE UP TO GET HIM?

lol - it was my first thought as well. I guess we're assuming they're trading out of #1 vs. going with a different player? 

12 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

God no. I just posted a mock where I traded down three times in the first round, setting us up with 5 first round picks in 2022.  

Do you have any idea how many Deshaun Watson’s you can get for FIVE 1st rounders?!

Eskimo Brother, I don't know if you noticed but your penis is turning green due to the cold.

• WTF? 1

43 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Nope.  But their management did plan to SUCK FOR LUCK.  And they were successful in doing so.  

You are making absolutely no sense. The year before the Colts drafted luck they went 2-14 due to Manning injury.  In the 2012 draft they took Luck, the year before they went 10-6. So you are telling me a team with a healthy  Peyton Manning that had a winning record I. 2010 went into 2011 with the plan to tank? 

You have some really wacky conspiracy  theories 

38 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

because other teams could trade into the number one spot ahead of the Jets. hence, the would still miss out on TL

Yeah - not happening. If the Jags somehow manage to convince themselves that there is a player they would rather have over Trevor Lawrence, they aren't trading down with anyone other than the Jets. Anywhere else, they might miss out on the opportunity to take their guy. The Jets would be guaranteed to take Trev.

For argument's sake, assume the Jags want Wilson instead of Trev. Any team below the Jets in the draft that trades up (let's say Atlanta), then takes Trev at 1. Jets are on the clock. How does Jacksonville know the Jets don't draft Wilson at 2?

So in summary, in the 0% scenario where Jags don't draft Trev, the Jets just have to do nothing and wait til their turn and he's theirs.

5 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Lets say Urban isnt too keen on Trevor Lawrence , would you give the Jags #2 and #34 to move to #1?

Would you trade up to #1 if the Jags didn’t want Lawrence?

No, I would not. 

And I think it would cost more than that if we were interested.

44 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

God no. I just posted a mock where I traded down three times in the first round, setting us up with 5 first round picks in 2022.  

Do you have any idea how many Deshaun Watson’s you can get for FIVE 1st rounders?!

Well, that's one theory:  Just Draft ALL the QB prospects in a draft class.  One of them is BOUND to be the Man!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

You are making absolutely no sense. The year before the Colts drafted luck they went 2-14 due to Manning injury.  In the 2012 draft they took Luck, the year before they went 10-6. So you are telling me a team with a healthy  Peyton Manning that had a winning record I. 2010 went into 2011 with the plan to tank? 

You have some really wacky conspiracy  theories 

You are making this WAY to complicated.  Irsay knew Manning was *DONE*.  They wanted Luck and got him.  They did it by losing every single game.  Or more to the point, by not trying to win.