Jump to content

NY Jets were smart to trade Jamal Adams in hindsight


Bronx
 Share

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

How did the jets do as a team post jamal? How did the defense look?

 

Noticeably worse on both fronts.

Moderately worse, a very small amount worse almost not worth mentioning this with having an offense that was last in time of possession.

Seattle gave up more passing yards than the sad sack jets in a passing league.

Jamal Adams does one thing well.  Rush the Qb when no one blocks him.

He does not create turnovers

He is a huge liability in coverage.

He over plays the run at the line of scrimmage.

For him to be effective and get his freebie sacks the defense has to comprise itself.

Jamal Adams does one thing better than any other player in the league, self promotion.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Anyone who didn’t see the logic or need to dump Jamal Adams when we did is a fool and doesn’t get to retroactively apologize for supporting Adams and/or support signing him to an extension. You were a clown then and you shall forever remain a clown in perpetuity. EAD. 

Gonna be pretty hilarious when we use the two picks on a safety and a kicker. 

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

and?  it was a good move.  what i agree with is you don't get better by getting rid of good players.  adams is a really good player.  it seemed to me adams was being maligned more because of his draft position than his on field play.  but then it was pretty clear he wanted out and the jets saw there was a good deal.  end of story.  right now i'm pretty confident that douglas will make some hay with those draft picks.

Adams was a really good player.  I agree that he was.  What I liked as much as his play on the field was his passion to win, and his ability to elevate others around him.

Once he became a cancer in my opinion, by making it all about him, and wanting a massive deal right now, the ability to elevate others around him was in danger of disappearing, as a result of his off the field antics.

I believe that he did not deserve a deal before the end of this year, and while he was cool with that in Seattle, he wasn't cool about that in New York.  

I'm glad we don't have to pay him 17M per year or more; not because he wasn't a great player, but because of the position he played, and if I'm being honest, the lack of production with interceptions, which was a sticking point with me with him.

In my humble opinion, we don't need great players at safety, we need solid players at safety.

What we do need is great players at wide receiver, quarterback, edge rusher, linebacker, left offensive tackle.  We need solid players at every other position.  Jamal was a luxury that on a good team could thrive, but on a bad team, can not make too much of a difference as to the great position players I believe we need to move up to the next level.

In the end, I'm glad he's gone, and glad with the draft capital we got back as compensation.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Worst player =/= Worst Pick

With 12 years of hindsight, there's still not a homerun at 6.  Ironically, you'd probably take Joe Flacco.  Calias Campbell?  Desean Jackson?

In 2017, the Jets QB room included Josh McCown, Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg.

We did this:

1212079706_ScreenShot2021-01-21at8_44_22PM.thumb.png.9acf084a82f6f218c3e8ca440bfbcaa3.png

Go back to 2008, and tell me what realistic move you'd make at 6, that would change the fortunes of this franchise.  Now, do it for 2017.

So, if you were offered one do-over, is there even a debate?

Sure, in retrospect and having a time machine to go back, you could go back and change the outcome then so be it.

But you can't, so if you're saying Jamal Adams was the worst draft pick the Jets ever had, you're out of your mind.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, peebag said:

Sure, in retrospect and having a time machine to go back, you could go back and change the outcome then so be it.

But you can't, so if you're saying Jamal Adams was the worst draft pick the Jets ever had, you're out of your mind.

Draft picks require context.  You make choices based on available players.  Again, there is a difference between the worst player selected, which by the way, was Christian Hackenberg.  Because, at least Gholston could get on the field.  And, the worst draft selection, which was choosing an overrated strong safety and situational pass rusher over a Super Bowl winning, Super Bowl MVP, about to play in his second consecutive Super Bowl QB and an elite QB we're all discussing how many 1st round picks we're willing to give up to get, when your QBs are McCown, Hackenberg, and Bryce Petty.

Sure, if you want to say who's the worst player we drafted, then maybe Gholston is in the conversation with Hackenberg, but that's not all a draft pick is.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, peebag said:

Sure, in retrospect and having a time machine to go back, you could go back and change the outcome then so be it.

But you can't, so if you're saying Jamal Adams was the worst draft pick the Jets ever had, you're out of your mind.

It was 100 % obvious to anyone at the time that Deshaun Watson was the pick to make there.  Not even a question.  Mahomes wasn't as obvious, unfortunately, but there was literally no good reason for a QB-needy team to pass on Watson at 6 overall.  Not one.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Do we have any players worth this? i do not think so. I dont know we have had any player worth that at any position for a very long time.

The lack of players worth paying did not make Adams worth paying.  Paying players just to pay them is how you create more holes.  Yet there were quite a few people making that silly argument last offseason prior to the Adams trade.

I ask all the people who still think trading Adams was a bad move, or is TBD:  Knowing what you know right now, if you're Seattle, do you hand Adams $18M per over 4-5 years right now?  $16M?

If the answer is no, then the Jets won the trade.  Period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Draft picks require context.  You make choices based on available players.  Again, there is a difference between the worst player selected, which by the way, was Christian Hackenberg.  Because, at least Gholston could get on the field.  And, the worst draft selection, which was choosing an overrated strong safety and situational pass rusher over a Super Bowl winning, Super Bowl MVP, about to play in his second consecutive Super Bowl QB and an elite QB we're all discussing how many 1st round picks we're willing to give up to get, when your QBs are McCown, Hackenberg, and Bryce Petty.

Sure, if you want to say who's the worst player we drafted, then maybe Gholston is in the conversation with Hackenberg, but that's not all a draft pick is.

 

Christian Hackenberg and Jamal Adams were the 2 worst draft picks in Jets history.  It's not even a question anymore. 

Hackenberg was a 5th round prospect (at best) taken in the 2nd round, and then his presence on the team helped cause the Jets to take a Box Safety over a franchise QB.

Fire Mike Maccagnan into the sun.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Draft picks require context.  You make choices based on available players.  Again, there is a difference between the worst player selected, which by the way, was Christian Hackenberg.  Because, at least Gholston could get on the field.  And, the worst draft selection, which was choosing an overrated strong safety and situational pass rusher over a Super Bowl winning, Super Bowl MVP, about to play in his second consecutive Super Bowl QB and an elite QB we're all discussing how many 1st round picks we're willing to give up to get, when your QBs are McCown, Hackenberg, and Bryce Petty.

Sure, if you want to say who's the worst player we drafted, then maybe Gholston is in the conversation with Hackenberg, but that's not all a draft pick is.

Gholston was picked #6 in the draft.  He was horrible, and was a liability just being on the field.  Blair Thomas, picked #2 in the draft, who had ability, turned out to be horrible.  Hackenberg was picked in round #2, so while a horrible pick, was still not a sure thing with where he was drafted.  

I still can't believe our QB's were McCown, Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.  And we passed on Mahomes and the QB in Houston?  What a sad organization we had back then.  

I hope we finally got the right people in place!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It was 100 % obvious to anyone at the time that Deshaun Watson was the pick to make there.  Not even a question.  Mahomes wasn't as obvious, unfortunately, but there was literally no good reason for a QB-needy team to pass on Watson at 6 overall.  Not one.  

Well apparently the Bears didn't think so.  

I understand coulda, woulda, shoulda.

But to say again that Adams was the worst draft pick the Jets ever had, that's just ludicrous. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Anyone who didn’t see the logic or need to dump Jamal Adams when we did is a fool and doesn’t get to retroactively apologize for supporting Adams and/or support signing him to an extension. You were a clown then and you shall forever remain a clown in perpetuity. EAD. 

Says the guy who supported Adam Gase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Alka said:

Gholston was picked #6 in the draft.  He was horrible, and was a liability just being on the field.  Blair Thomas, picked #2 in the draft, who had ability, turned out to be horrible.  Hackenberg was picked in round #2, so while a horrible pick, was still not a sure thing with where he was drafted.  

I still can't believe our QB's were McCown, Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.  And we passed on Mahomes and the QB in Houston?  What a sad organization we had back then.  

I hope we finally got the right people in place!

Indeed, Hackenberg wasn't a sure thing and "only" a second round pick.  But, we're not talking about just being bad.  If he were just bad, he wouldn't be a part of the conversation.  He was so bad that you and him have identical NFL stat lines.  That is pretty unprecedented for a 2nd round pick who didn't have an injury or other issue keeping him off the field.  Seriously, can you find another 2nd round pick, especially a QB, who never took a snap?  How bad do you have to be to not even get in at garbage time, or in a lost season?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, peebag said:

Well apparently the Bears didn't think so.  

I understand coulda, woulda, shoulda.

But to say again that Adams was the worst draft pick the Jets ever had, that's just ludicrous. 

What do the Bears have to do with this?  Just because the Trubisky trade up was probably worse doesn't make the Jamal Adams pick any less awful.

You're conflating "bad pick" with "bad player" here.  Adams was a good player, horrific pick.  A QB-needy team who had a pretty obvious QB to take in Watson passed to take the Box Safety.  Awful, awful pick.  2nd worst pick in Jets history behind Hackenberg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Why you gotta do stuff like that? I find it moderately unsettling. 

.." moderately unsettling "  🧐.. only  moderately   🤨

i apol, Crus,.. i forgot, YOU prefer girls  NOT  shave their Legs     😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Christian Hackenberg and Jamal Adams were the 2 worst draft picks in Jets history.  It's not even a question anymore. 

Hackenberg was a 5th round prospect (at best) taken in the 2nd round, and then his presence on the team helped cause the Jets to take a Box Safety over a franchise QB.

Fire Mike Maccagnan into the sun.

Hahahah thanks for discrediting yourself....

”Jamal adams is among the worst jet picks in history” lmao 😂😂😂👍

One of the most respected GMs in the league gave up 2 first rounders for him but don’t worry guys “jetsfan80” really knows how to evaluate talent 😂😂😂😂🤡🤡

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...