NY Jets Thoughts from Legoland

JetNation

Love your posts and this is no exception.

Particularly love your respect of opposing viewpoints.

Q: why do you think a 4-12 QB that has won one playoff game ... with DeAndre Hopkins is a 'legit' franchise QB ???

Watson is a good QB ... he is NOT Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Russell Wilson ....

If we can get him for a reasonable price... or 23rd this year plus one of our firsts next year and Darnold ... yeah I'd love it.

I just dont want to sell the farm with his albatross contract ... I'd rather roll with Darnold/Wilson.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

Joe Douglas WILL NOT sell the farm, it's not in his DNA learning under Ozzie, but this is a unique situation regarding Watsons age & talent. So, if 3 firsts & Darnold don't do it, you don't NOT make a deal for Watson because they want another pick, 2nd or 3rd. You just don't, especially when your still maintaining two firsts in 2021 & 2022. 

He'll just have to be much better in free agency, i.e. Lower priced Samuel instead of the highest priced Allen Robinson. 2nd tier in free agency this year is better than it's been in years & there will be more guys available when the Saints & other cap strapped teams start whittling down their expensive players. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Love your posts and this is no exception.

Particularly love your respect of opposing viewpoints.

Q: why do you think a 4-12 QB that has won one playoff game ... with DeAndre Hopkins is a 'legit' franchise QB ???

Watson is a good QB ... he is NOT Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Russell Wilson ....

If we can get him for a reasonable price... or 23rd this year plus one of our firsts next year and Darnold ... yeah I'd love it.

I just dont want to sell the farm with his albatross contract ... I'd rather roll with Darnold/Wilson.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Good stuff,

What I would say is that he threw for 4800 yds 33 TD  7 INTs  last year even after they took is #1 target away from him. He was also sacked 49x if I have that right, which is insane.

Their Defense was historically bad as well throughout his tenure.  I saw a stat that there are only 3 QB;s to ever throw for 4000yds 30 TDs and a 70% completion percentage. (I might have this a bit off) The other two went to the Superbowl. Watson was 4-12.  So I'd say that he has continually risen to the heights of greatness even though his team has been poorly managed and coached. 

What have the excuses for Sam been? No targets, bad OL, bad coaching etc. And we know the results. Watson with a similar situation last season threw for 4823 33/7.   And they are only 1 year apart in their NFL career length. It's pretty safe to say that they are not even in the same stratosphere as NFL QB's. 

So I am still not saying to sell the farm for one guy. He's 1 injury away from it all flushing down the terlet. But if you can get him in the house, you get him in the house as quickly as you can. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

13 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Good stuff,

What I would say is that he threw for 4800 yds 33 TD  7 INTs  last year even after they took is #1 target away from him. He was also sacked 49x if I have that right, which is insane.

Their Defense was historically bad as well throughout his tenure.  I saw a stat that there are only 3 QB;s to ever throw for 4000yds 30 TDs and a 70% completion percentage. (I might have this a bit off) The other two went to the Superbowl. Watson was 4-12.  So I'd say that he has continually risen to the heights of greatness even though his team has been poorly managed and coached. 

What have the excuses for Sam been? No targets, bad OL, bad coaching etc. And we know the results. Watson with a similar situation last season threw for 4823 33/7.   And they are only 1 year apart in their NFL career length. It's pretty safe to say that they are not even in the same stratosphere as NFL QB's. 

So I am still not saying to sell the farm for one guy. He's 1 injury away from it all flushing down the terlet. But if you can get him in the house, you get him in the house as quickly as you can. 

So you admire is stats ... not his wins ... I can respect that.  Kind of like Stafford. Thats the thing .... there is much more to HOF QB play than throwing for more than 4000+.

He's gotta be able to find a way to win regardless of the hand he is dealt. Brady has won with a revolving door of talent. And yes I am aware there is only one Brady.

And i will totally come clean .. part of my lack of enthusiasm for this guys is the whole 'force your way out of town' thing because your boss didn't include you in his decision making.

It just screams 'self deserving' to me and tastes bad.

- of course if the price it right - he plays lights out for us - i will happily eat crow and support the sh*t out of him.

Edited by Dunnie

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

So you admire is stats ... not his wins ... I can respect that.  Kind of like Stafford. Thats the thing .... there is much more to HOF QB play than throwing for more than 4000+.

He's gotta be able to find a way to win regardless of the hand he is dealt. Brady has won with a revolving door of talent. And yes I am aware there is only one Brady.

And i will totally come clean .. part of my lack of enthusiasm for this guys is the whole 'force your way out of town' thing because your boss didn't include you in his decision making.

- of course if the price it right - he plays lights out for us - i will happily eat crow and support the sh*t out of him.

Agreed! 
Jets luck would be that we sign Watson, he does what he does, we reach the 6th win of the season, the next game afterwards, his arm gets ripped off like Pennington, Fiedler, and Farve. We are then stuck with the loss of draft capital and a huge contract, unable to build the team as usual, all for a QB with all his monstrous stats last year, that only gave the Texans 2 more wins. 

don’t get me wrong I’d love to have a good QB on the team, that I just happen to share a last name with, just don’t want to mortgage the teams future to have it.   If his stats can’t carry the Texans to more wins with a bad team, what do you think will happen here? 
the pitchforks will be out looking to blame someone. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I can appreciate that, but players are unhappy all the time. There is a huge difference between the way watson his handling it vs say Jamal Adams or Yannick Ngokue.  Even Bell's way of doing it was not to my liking and I was not all that into the signing until the last min when I eventually bought in. But I hear ya. 

Stats are incredibly important man. The Texans scored 30 or more in like 5 games or something and even eclipsed 40 once or twice. There is only so much someone can do.  4800 yds, 33 TDs with 7 ints says more than enough for him doing his part.  How many QB's throw for that many yards each year? 2? 3?  If the Defense can not stop a nose bleed (Bart Scott) what can a QB do?   I think they ave up 30 pts the most in the lwague or something like that.  Don't  quote me but it's something like that.

It's really easy to point a finger at one item and say thats the story. But it's not. It's only one piece. 53 guys 22 on field per sequence. 11 on one side. 1 of those guys accounted for 4800 yds and 33 TD's. The others gave up more points than he could score with a depleted roster. Again, the keep sam crowd has a significantly larger hill to climb than Watson. 

57 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Good stuff,

Again with the historical?   Doesn't hat indicate one of the worst in history?  Now it is over his tenure?  That historically bad D was 4th in points allowed in 2018.  How could anyone be expected to overcome that?!?!

^Sorry Bean,  This historic sh*t is a trigger word for me.  I get the point that the D hasn't been doing him any favors, particularly in 2020, but historic is oversteppingl

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

The last time we had a 4,000 yard passer was actually the very first time the NFL had one, when Lyndon B Johnson was the president.  It's not the key to winning the Super Bowl but it sure would be a nice step in that direction that we haven't had in over 50 years.

• Upvote 1

Love Watson. As previously mentioned, even posted about my dream to acquire him way back in like week 4 or 5 when things started going South down there - way before all this hysteria.

Having said that... No way in hell would I give up four #1 picks for him. Nope not me. Two??? Yes- not four

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Great video as always GB.  Maybe I can make your point about this trade from a different angle.  Here goes:

• First imagine some team OTHER THAN THE JETS
  • Imagine this team needs help at QB (as most do).
  • What if the trade was this:
    • You give: 
      • 2021:  FIRST & SEVENTH     
      • 2022:  FIRST & FOURTH
    • You get: 
      • 2021:  DW4 & THIRD & FIFTH
      • 2022:  SIXTH & SIXTH
  • Would you make this trade?

If you said yes to this generic team's trades then you ALSO should probably yes to GB's worst case scenario of trading all four of our first rounders flat out for DW4.  The reason is that I assumed that the fictitious team had one pick each in seven rounds (on average true for a generic team).  After the above trade, the remaining and acquired picks match our present status round-by-round for both years.

I believe that we would be able to negotiate a much better deal than all four firsts.  This makes a trade for DW4 more attractive than the scenario above.  I apologize if someone else posted this same comparison...there is an awful lot to read to keep up with it all.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:03 AM, JetNation said:

NY Jets Thoughts From Legoland

GreenBean is at Lego Land this week in Winter Haven, Florida. So many pieces go into building a football team. The Jets feel like they need an infusion of small Lego pieces right now.

Are players worth multiple first round picks? Joe Douglas has reversed 10 years of poor roster management in 18 months. Will Joe Douglas be able to assemble the entire roster and build the NFL version of a Lego masterpiece? Is trading for a franchise QB the answer even if it means stripping all this draft capital?

Check out the video and let us know what you think in our NY Jets forum.

The post NY Jets Thoughts from Legoland appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

lG6ox6MFxvo

Click here to read the full story...

you bring kids to legoland during a pandemic ? Are you mad ?