New York Jets offseason blueprint 1.0

Bronx

While acquiring Watson at the right price has to be the team’s top option at the position this offseason, a non-Watson blueprint is very much in order. From cuts to free-agent signings, all the way to the 2021 NFL draft, the first edition of the New York Jets offseason blueprint has arrived.

Starting salary-cap space: $65.532 million

The Jets enter the offseason with a projected $65.532 million, per Spotrac, ranking them second in the league behind only the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Cuts

Henry Anderson: $8.2 million in 2021 savings

Truth be told, Henry Anderson as a subpackage interior rusher is an intriguing thought. Anderson’s last two years featured him playing out of position routinely under Gregg Williams. Without a legitimate edge rusher, Williams would often put the 300-pounder on the edge.

While retaining Anderson in that subpackage interior rushing role is appealing, the $8.2 million in space that’s garnered upon his cut is much more tempting.

Alex Lewis, G: $5.191 million in 2021 savings

The offensive line features three players who could potentially be cut: Alex Lewis, Greg Van Roten and George Fant. Van Roten and Fant remain while Lewis bids farewell.

Lewis’s controversy this past season has been well-documented if not detailed, but the hope is to plug a youngster into one of the two guard roles. The same can be said for tackle, but Fant is a locker room leader who can provide excellent depth (if supplanted by a kid in August, something that’s a major wild card at this moment).

Ryan Griffin, TE: $1.848 million in 2021 savings

Ryan Griffin didn’t enjoy himself in 2020, and he has seemingly not fully recovered from last offseason’s major ankle surgery.

Josh Doctson, WR: $985,000 in 2021 savings

Josh Doctson opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19 reasons. He was worth the swing Joe Douglas took on him last offseason, but it should be a failed swing in the end.

Salary-cap space after cuts: $85 million

The final savings total comes out to a little above $16.2 million, stretching the available cap space to $81.756 million. There will obviously be other minor cuts that happen along the way, so we’ll add another $3 million and change in order to work with a clean $85 million number.

Sam Darnold trade

If Watson doesn’t happen, the quarterback route becomes pretty clear: select a rookie at No. 2. ESPN’s Adam Schefter recently reported that Sam Darnold‘s trade value could be set at a late-first.

While that’s certainly possible—as anything is when the quarterback position is involved—we’ll roll with a second-round value.

Colts acquire:
  • Sam Darnold
Jets acquire:
  • 2021 second-round selection (No. 54)

In-house free agent signings

Marcus Maye: 4-year, $50 million

Re-signing Marcus Maye is not a no-brainer, but it makes all the sense in the world to bring him back. New York’s secondary is paper-thin and veteran leadership is required. Plus, Robert Saleh‘s defense is one that promotes the use of interchangeable safeties. Courtesy of routine rotation on any given play, Saleh prefers that the free and strong safeties are interchangeable.

Maye fits what Saleh likes to do defensively.

Other low-level deals

Matthias Farley is a special teams leader, which means Brant Boyer will want him back. Brining back Tarell Basham for edge depth would be a good idea. Arthur Maulet can play anywhere in the secondary, which makes him a nice depth piece. Harvey Langi and Patrick Onwuasor help the linebacker spot.

Let walk

Brian Poole‘s name jumps off the list here. Ideally, his physicality is exactly what Saleh wants in a defensive back. The man can legitimately play strong safety if asked. But as you’ll read below, Poole walks due to injury-related purposes. Missing nine games over the last two years is too concerning to overlook.

Breshad Perriman is the trickiest one of the bunch. Based on pure talent, bringing him back is a nice idea. His devastating straight-line speed could help in a number of ways. The problem is this: The man misses far too many games.

A common theme in this first blueprint is availability. What’s crushed this organization most over the last couple of years has been injuries. While it’s true that some injuries cannot be predicted, every player showcases a specific injury-prone degree. Retooling the roster so that injury-prone guys are few and far between needs to be the goal.

Salary cap space heading into free agency: $67.274 million

• After Darnold trade: $89.774 million after $4.774 million is cleared off the books.
  • After re-signing Maye: $77.274 million (APY $12.5)
  • After signing other in-house free agents: $67.274 million (roughly $10 million more)

Of course, how Douglas structures each deal will make a world of difference—whether it’s frontloaded or not. For our purposes, only the average can be taken. Also, the guaranteed money will factor greatly into how everything turns out.

Free agency

Trey Hendrickson, EDGE: 4-year, $44 million deal

Signing at least one legitimate edge rusher is the most important free-agent add for Douglas this offseason. Usually, these guys never hit the open market. Extensions and franchise tags usually get in the way.

If Trey Hendrickson is available, get him. His breakout campaign this past season saw him put up 13.5 sacks and he fits well as a 4-3 edge. Other options include Romeo Okwara, Kerry Hyder, Matt Judon, Bud Dupree and Carl Lawson. At least one is needed, and despite Hendrickson’s injury history, the Jets have to hop on at least one edge rusher this free-agency period.

Joe Thuney, G: 4-year, $60 million deal

The Jets were rumored to have been in on the Joe Thuney business last offseason, but the New England Patriots tagged him. This time around, it seems like Thuney is destined for a new team.

The second-team All-Pro selection in 2019 will fit nicely at left guard. Another tremendous option is Brandon Scherff, a man used to right guard and a guy who’ll likely cost a bit more. It’s also worth noting the difference in durability. Thuney has never missed a start; Scherff has missed 18 over the past four years.

Richard Sherman, CB: 2-year, $12 million deal

The wily veteran way past his prime still has a place in the NFL. As long as he doesn’t come too expensive, Richard Sherman‘s familiarity with Saleh’s defense and his leadership could help this Jets defensive unit greatly.

Desmond King, CB: 3-year, $12 million deal

With Brian Poole out of the equation, slot corner extraordinaire Desmond King fits the bill at $4 million a year.

Kyle Juszczyk, FB: 2-year, $8 million deal

That’s right, a fullback should be back on the roster in 2020 and no better man can fill the spot than Kyle Juszczyk.

Curtis Samuel, WR: 3-year, $33 million deal

Without Allen Robinson involved, the Swiss Army Knife known as Curtis Samuel can do a lot in the Jets offense. The former second-round pick is incredibly quick and elusive—something the Jets need in the weaponry department alongside Mims and Crowder.

Jayon Brown, LB: 2-year, $8 million deal

Jayon Brown played just 10 games last year via injury, but he’s exactly what Saleh is looking for in a linebacker. The man can cover, as evidenced by his 73.5 pass-coverage PFF grade (eighth of a qualified 71 linebackers).

Kyle Allen, QB: 1-year, $1 million deal

Recovering from the gruesome ankle injury that required surgery, Kyle Allen should be good to go for the start of the 2021 season. A one-year “prove it” deal would be perfect as the team’s backup quarterback.

Daniel Carlson, K: 2-year, $2 million deal

It’s doubtful that the Las Vegas Raiders allow Daniel Carlson to walk after such a tremendous season, but Douglas should be in on this guy from the outset. The former fifth-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings connected on 33 of 35 field-goal attempts this past season. Kickers are historically streaky from year to year, but he may be worth the effort in free agency.

As a restricted free agent, the Jets will need to get a little lucky. It’ll depend on whether or not the Raiders tender him prior to the start of the new league year.

Salary cap space after free agency: $10.274 million

Admittedly, the above signings might be a bit too much for Douglas’s taste. He’s the type who builds through the draft and doesn’t go nuts with free agency until the time is right. Considering only Maye was brought back, these nine signings make sense. With plenty of money remaining, the Jets can easily fill out the rest of the roster via free agency where needed.

The NFL draft

Jets Mock Draft

Zach Wilson at No. 2 is a no-brainer. Scratch that. Wilson or Justin Fields at No. 2 is a no-brainer. Selecting a quarterback at that spot will immediately thrust Douglas’s team into the rookie quarterback contract window over the next four years, allowing for much more freedom and flexibility across the rest of the roster.

Which young quarterback should be selected at No. 2 remains a great and worthwhile debate.

If Gregory Rousseau is available at No. 23, Douglas should hop all over him. In spite of the fact he missed the entire 2020 season due to COVID-19-related reasons, he’s the athletic freak of an edge rusher Saleh needs in his defense.

Ohio State’s Wyatt Davis can be plugged in as the right guard on day No. 1. The pick the Jets received for Darnold can be used to shore up the second level, as Alabama’s Dylan Moses perfectly fits Saleh’s defensive look.

Trey Sermon fits nicely as a tough, physical inside-zone runner who can do a lot in Mike LaFleur’s offense.

This blueprint is a bit light on wide receivers, which is concerning initially. But the idea that the offensive line and defense looks incredibly improved really hammers home a sound infrastructure Douglas can build upon.

Roster

Obviously, the depth will look much different in reality. A couple of running backs would still be needed. The same can be said for the tight end position and at offensive line.

Screenshot_20210205-053124.png

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Nice job. I expect us to take a defensive player with pick 23. I might sway towards a corner but Rousseau is fine too. The potential tandem of Hendrickson and Rousseau on the edge, with Quinnen in the interior of a Saleh D, is enticing.

I see the logic in Sherman, but would personally prefer someone younger if we go down that route in free agency.

Only mild disappointment is coming away from two loaded WR classes in '20 and '21 with Mims and St Brown. Nothing wrong with those two, and I love Mims, but in time to come, it may feel like we missed an opportunity to set ourselves up for the forseeable future in that position?

• Upvote 2

Offense, offense, offense! 

Bring in Hendrickson & someone from the 49ers secondary YOUNGER than Sherman! Selah brought in coaches to teach his defense, he doesn't need an old CB to do it! 

Lets build an offense like KC did with guys like Pitts in a trade back, Samuel in free agency, Thuney, draft Toney & Wyatt Davis & let's score some damn points & finish the holes in defense next year! 

I want to turn on the Television & enjoy Jets players spiking balls in the damn endzone instead of constantly watching our overrated punter! 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Thanks for sharing..

But...

Awful plan.

The focus on defense and lack of offense (other than a guard) and a rookie QB is downright neglect.

JD should be fired before the season starts if this is what he does.

I honestly don't think you could do a worse job than this...It's very Mac like

i think you need to count up the new faces on offense.  there are two new guards, a bunch of new receivers, and two new qbs.  sure there's a risk in wilson since he's a rookie but to say there isn't much offense is just wrong.  and just like the team should be drafting defensive tackle year in and year out they can't be drafting all offense and neglect the defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Good effort but there is no way you can be left with only $10M in cap space after free agency and before the draft.   That’s not nearly enough for the draft class, especially considering there are currently 2 first round selections to be made.  Plus practice squad money and space for training camp and mid season acquisitions.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

i think you need to count up the new faces on offense.  there are two new guards, a bunch of new receivers, and two new qbs.  sure there's a risk in wilson since he's a rookie but to say there isn't much offense is just wrong.  and just like the team should be drafting defensive tackle year in and year out they can't be drafting all offense and neglect the defense.

It's not just adding players.  It's about adding good players.  Sure we added a good guard and drafted a good QB - but otherewise all of the premium resources have gone to defense.

New doesn't mean better.  I think we learned last year with the OL

I think you did a great job here, and I appreciate it!

I'm not a fan of letting Jordan Jenkins and Hewitt walk however.   I was not a fan of Hewitt when we first stuck with him, but I've become a fan through his play.  I also believe that with the right coaching and in the right system, I really like Jordan Jenkins.  Perhaps I'm in the minority on Jenkins, but I believe in him.  I agree with Luvu walking, because I think we can do better.

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not just adding players.  It's about adding good players.  Sure we added a good guard and drafted a good QB - but otherewise all of the premium resources have gone to defense.

New doesn't mean better.  I think we learned last year with the OL

i'm not really seeing this.  the top draft picks are all going to offense except for the first rounder for the edge guy.  the free agents are pretty balance.  thuney and samuel  are top tier players.  except for the edge guy, they aren't spending much on defense free agents.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i'm not really seeing this.  the top draft picks are all going to offense except for the first rounder for the edge guy.  the free agents are pretty balance.  thuney and samuel  are top tier players.  except for the edge guy, they aren't spending much on defense free agents.

JD should be fired the day after the draft if he takes a defensive player at 2, 23 or 34. 

On 2/5/2021 at 6:48 AM, FidelioJet said:

Thanks for sharing..

But...

Awful plan.

The focus on defense and lack of offense (other than a guard) and a rookie QB is downright neglect.

JD should be fired before the season starts if this is what he does.

I honestly don't think you could do a worse job than this...It's very Mac like

This is so lame 

8 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

This is so lame 

Seriously, 

So you think it's a good idea to draft a QB at two and then go and spend your other top draft picks and majority of FA dollars on defense?

Sorry, but that just seems ass backwards to me.  If you draft a QB at 2 you should do then do EVERYTHING you can to support him and turn him into a FQB.

I've said this before - but if you draft a QB at #2 overall - JD should ask himself one question before making any decisions "Does this help Zach?"

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Seriously, 

So you think it's a good idea to draft a QB at two and then go and spend your other top draft picks and majority of FA dollars on defense?

Sorry, but that just seems ass backwards to me.  If you draft a QB at 2 you should do then do EVERYTHING you can to support him and turn him into a FQB.

I've said this before - but if you draft a QB at #2 overall - JD should ask himself one question before making any decisions "Does this help Zach?"

Your condescending post after the OP put a lot of thought into it is what is lame.  You can disagree all you want but don’t be a douche about it.

8 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Your condescending post after the OP put a lot of thought into it is what is lame.  You can disagree all you want but don’t be a douche about it.

He didn't write that.  I read that in an article the day before.  I thought that was obvious.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/02/04/new-york-jets-offseason-blueprint-1-0/

Dylan Moses is a really interesting prospect.  He will likely be available with our second round pick and could wind up being an elite LB in Saleh's defense.  Pairing his speed with Mosley's ability in zone coverage would really improve our coverage unit.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:17 PM, FidelioJet said:

JD should be fired the day after the draft if he takes a defensive player at 2, 23 or 34. 

Try to hold it together Fid.... Don't think we are gonna fire Douglas anytime soon no matter how much the both of us want the Jets to be in constant state of third world regime change.

I'm not gonna crucify him for taking an Edge with the second or third pick although I would rather a WR. My preference is QB, OL, WR.

Jeez people lighten the hell up.  What kind of Madden type roster do you think JD is going to pull out of his ass? I'm convinced some people are just never going to be pleased. This roster isn't half bad if you take the time to actually look at it. And all the people saying there was no focus on offense??

Zach Wilson

Joe Thuney

Curtis Samuel

Hunter Long

Wyatt Davis

Amon-ra St. Brown

Kyle Kusszlvneiavecheck

Trey Sermon

There were plenty of additions it's just a young offense and maybe you don't know who these rookies are, but they would actually be really really good additions that'll give the Jets a hell of a future. I personally see nothing wrong with a WR unit of;

Denzel Mims

Curtis Samuel

Jameson Crowder

Amon-ra St. Brown

With Wilson hopefully showing promise and behind a dominant OL I don't think that's bad and fine to build on. Lighten up people.