Rapoport: Carson Wentz next QB domino to drop. Colour me terrified.

T0mShane

As we know, Douglas was in the room when they drafted Wentz*, and Wentz has been a largely successful QB (outside of last year). If Douglas was blanching at the presumed cost for Deshaun and didn’t want to wait around for the Texans to give up on a reconciliation, could Douglas turn around and take Wentz’s salary off the Eagles’ books? IMO, I think it’d be cheaper than you might think because you’d be getting the Jared Goff end of that Rams-Lions deal, so maybe the #23, a third, and Darnold for Wentz? 

*Fake news by me. s/o @Untouchable for the correction

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think Joe Douglas is as eager to move on from Darnold as a lot of fans are. If he was, though, this would be a pretty safe move. 2021 is the last year with guaranteed money, and the contract -once the Eagles eat the bonus money- is pretty manageable overall. So if he works out, the Jets have him at something of a bargain rate. If he doesn't, they can cut him at no cap cost in 2022. 

It would be so Jets to lose out on Watson, pass on a rookie and one or more of them turn out to be studs, stick with Sam or trade for Carlson Wentz. 

We can never have complete  competence, always one step forward two steps back with this organization. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As we know, Douglas was in the room when they drafted Wentz*, and Wentz has been a largely successful QB (outside of last year). If Douglas was blanching at the presumed cost for Deshaun and didn’t want to wait around for the Texans to give up on a reconciliation, could Douglas turn around and take Wentz’s salary off the Eagles’ books? IMO, I think it’d be cheaper than you might think because you’d be getting the Jared Goff end of that Rams-Lions deal, so maybe the #23, a third, and Darnold for Wentz? 

Douglas was actually hired after the draft in Philly that year. I imagine he liked Wentz because he accepted the job but I don't think Wentz will be a QB we look at even with the Douglas connection.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

You guys thought we didn't have talent last year? That Eagles offense was atrocious! Old man Jefferies? He can't even run anymore! 

And their entire Oline was injured or played injured (Kelce). I watch a few games with Carson at QB on Gamepass, it was unwatchable! Zero run game, no one could get open, and a f*cking jailbreak on every snap! 

Do you know why Pederson went to Hurts? Because he's cheap. Carson Wentz contract was crazy! And he was taking a beating! Carson went FULL DARNOLD, trying to make plays that weren't there, that's what happens when you don't have enough talent to run an offense, or run the ball. 

I'm not saying I want Douglas to move on Carson Wentz, I just think that in the right situation, Carson Wentz will be a better QB during the rest of his career than Sam Darnold if all things were equal. Just my opinion but if Watson falls through, JD doesn't like any of the QBs at #2, and this is the biggest thing, the Eagles pretty much GIVE WENTZ to us to get him off the books, I'm not against a ressurection for him if we build a kickazz line in front of him like he had early in his career with the Eagles. 

Sometimes a little humility can change a man. I still love Wentz toughness, the kid has always been mentally strong. Much more so than Sam Darnold. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I want no part of Wentz ... I'd far rather stick with the guy we know and work on his issues than pick up another guy and have o address his issues.

We'll all get to see which one of these guys has a better career going forward. I personally think that Carson Wentz is more salvageable than Sam Darnold. As the chick in the Whitehouse says, we'll have to circle back on this.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can you write up one of those S.E. Hinton style tear downs you’re famous for about people who post fake news now? ?

• Haha 3

If the Rams had to essentially pay a first round pick for someone to take Goff's contract (IMO that deal was a first for stafford and a first to take Goff) what will it cost the eagles to get someone to take Wentz?

We already have a young QB project of our own to fix who costs very little, zero chance we take on another project that costs millions in a bad contract.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Douglas actually wasn’t hired until a few months after the Eagles drafted Wentz.

I can’t see it

You might as well try to salvage Darnold instead with an improved supporting cast rather than take on Wentz’ monster contract.

At least Darnold isn’t hated by his teammates.

I don't know man. Did you hear the Perriman and Mims interviews this week?  It was pretty tough to ignore the lack of support for Sam. They were respectful to a degree but Perriman saying "It wasn't all Gase" is not a good thing to hear when they are digging for his opinion of Sam. 

Mims basically talked about how great Watson said something like I look forward to see who they bring in.  They might not hate the guy but it doesn't sound like they love playing with him either.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Wentz would scare me. He just seems like a weak minded guy that can’t handle some adversity. Playing in philly is hard with the media and fan base and coming to NY would be equally as difficult. With a talented guy with a weak mind, Wentz may be better suited for a small market team.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, slats said:

It's not popular, but -imho- I don't expect Joe Douglas to enter and win a bidding war for Watson, and I think he's more likely to trade down from #2 than take a QB. I haven't changed my opinion on that since the Jets locked into the #2 pick: it's gonna come down to JD's evaluation of his top QB available vs. the best offer he gets for the pick. This is a guy who likes his draft picks and has done well in trades so far, I could see him blowing up Jimmy Johnson's draft pick trade chart with a move down. 

JD and Saleh have five years under contract here, and I'm not sure that fixing the QB position first is their #1 priority. So an inexpensive trade for Wentz, or bringing back Darnold and signing a 1A backup/potential starter like Jameis Winston could be an option for their first year together. Fill out the rest of the roster, establish the program, then bring in their guy at QB if no one they've tried so far is working out. 

But yeah, like I said, I know that's not popular. 

I understand your position, but I think when it comes to the most important position on the team, he will make a solid offer to Houston and if we lose out on him he'll draft Wilson. We haven't had a true franchise QB in over 5 decades. It's time to stop screwing around and use your assets to secure one. If not for a franchise altering QB, then what are they for? I think Wilson on day one will be better than Sam because he sees the field better, has much better accuracy and more zip. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Wentz would scare me. He just seems like a weak minded guy that can’t handle some adversity. Playing in philly is hard with the media and fan base and coming to NY would be equally as difficult. With a talented guy with a weak mind, Wentz may be better suited for a small market team.

Weak mind? Come on man! The guy was getting the living sh*t kicked out of him & was sat for the backup, I'd call it his pride kicked. 

Say what you will but the year that Sam Darnold comes close to doing what Wentz was doing before his injury & when he had a good Oline in front of him come talk to me about comparing these 2 guys. 

You cant operate in the NFL behind a decimated line, you just can't! Defensive guys are too big, too fast, for 2nd & 3rd string NFL olineman to deal with. Especially 4 out of 5 of the starters. 

Sam had many games this year with time in the pocket, but he can never get to options without staring down the 1st & then leaving the pocket, running to his right, and running out of room trying to jam a pass into coverage or still sometimes running out of bounds behind the LOS, which I like to call pulling a Geno. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

I don't know man. Did you hear the Perriman and Mims interviews this week?  It was pretty tough to ignore the lack of support for Sam. They were respectful to a degree but Perriman saying "It wasn't all Gase" is not a good thing to hear when they are digging for his opinion of Sam. 

Mims basically talked about how great Watson said something like I look forward to see who they bring in.  They might not hate the guy but it doesn't sound like they love playing with him either.

You are aware the Eagles locker room has twice preferred other QBs over Wentz and I've never heard a teammate say glowing things about him?  I'm not sure locker room support or leadership is the best argument for Wentz over Darnold.

1 hour ago, slats said:

It's not popular, but -imho- I don't expect Joe Douglas to enter and win a bidding war for Watson, and I think he's more likely to trade down from #2 than take a QB. I haven't changed my opinion on that since the Jets locked into the #2 pick: it's gonna come down to JD's evaluation of his top QB available vs. the best offer he gets for the pick. This is a guy who likes his draft picks and has done well in trades so far, I could see him blowing up Jimmy Johnson's draft pick trade chart with a move down. 

JD and Saleh have five years under contract here, and I'm not sure that fixing the QB position first is their #1 priority. So an inexpensive trade for Wentz, or bringing back Darnold and signing a 1A backup/potential starter like Jameis Winston could be an option for their first year together. Fill out the rest of the roster, establish the program, then bring in their guy at QB if no one they've tried so far is working out. 

But yeah, like I said, I know that's not popular. 

Always nice to read someone who understands JD's vision here. This makes the most sense to me and have stated such in numerous posts as well.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, undertow said:

You are aware the Eagles locker room has twice preferred other QBs over Wentz and I've never heard a teammate say glowing things about him?  I'm not sure locker room support or leadership is the best argument for Wentz over Darnold.

Ok, they are both disliked for different reasons. Bottom line is how they fair from here on out & I'll step out on a limb & say Wentz has the better 2nd half of his career which probably isn't saying much when it comes to Sam Darnold. 

Sam has ZERO FIRE, thats why he's not respected & left to pick himself off the turf constantly.

• Upvote 1