Rapoport: Carson Wentz next QB domino to drop. Colour me terrified.

T0mShane

2 hours ago, slats said:

I don't think Joe Douglas is as eager to move on from Darnold as a lot of fans are.

Agreed.  Like it or not.

2 hours ago, slats said:

If he was, though, this would be a pretty safe move. 2021 is the last year with guaranteed money, and the contract -once the Eagles eat the bonus money- is pretty manageable overall. So if he works out, the Jets have him at something of a bargain rate. If he doesn't, they can cut him at no cap cost in 2022. 

If thinking exclusively about cap space, sure. 

In terms of the player being safe, I disagree, Wentz is not very good, and worse, is very much not reliable.  Trading for him would be misspent assets all around on a player without a legit long-term future here and who cannot provide much assurance of winning (or even playing at all) in the short term.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I have to ask. WTF is wrong with people on this forum. Hey, maybe Detroit wants  to trade Goff and his horrible contract.  Will we then have posts about taking him and offering a first round and Darnold for him? It's  like any QB some team wants to dump, Jet fans are like , ueah, I have to get me some of that. For Christmas sake, Wentz has been and injury prone QB that missed his chance to play in a SB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Douglas actually wasn’t hired until a few months after the Eagles drafted Wentz.

I can’t see it

You might as well try to salvage Darnold instead with an improved supporting cast rather than take on Wentz’ monster contract.

At least Darnold isn’t hated by his teammates.

Agreed.  I would rather go with a rookie or keep Sam for another year before I am giving up assets and taking on Wentz' contract.

Most of the options that have been discussed on this board are pretty good options and its just a matter of peronsal preference.  This one, not so much.  If he was a free agent, and we wanted to roll the dice on a "prove it" incentive laden contract, fine.  But giving up picks and assuming his contract. No.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, slats said:

It's not popular, but -imho- I don't expect Joe Douglas to enter and win a bidding war for Watson, and I think he's more likely to trade down from #2 than take a QB. I haven't changed my opinion on that since the Jets locked into the #2 pick: it's gonna come down to JD's evaluation of his top QB available vs. the best offer he gets for the pick. This is a guy who likes his draft picks and has done well in trades so far, I could see him blowing up Jimmy Johnson's draft pick trade chart with a move down. 

JD and Saleh have five years under contract here, and I'm not sure that fixing the QB position first is their #1 priority. So an inexpensive trade for Wentz, or bringing back Darnold and signing a 1A backup/potential starter like Jameis Winston could be an option for their first year together. Fill out the rest of the roster, establish the program, then bring in their guy at QB if no one they've tried so far is working out. 

But yeah, like I said, I know that's not popular. 

The question is, how much does starting the worst QB in football, effect the development of the rest of the team?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What is this based on? 

Because there is zero evidence that Darnold is better than Wentz. 

Wishes.  It's based on wishes.

I don't want to trade for Wentz, but a salary dump that looked something like Wentz and a 2 for Darnold, I'd do it.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there's a chance the Jets pursue Wentz at all.

It doesn't matter that JD was in the room and part of the Eagles front office when Wentz was taken.  The contract is bad and JD has already shown he's not the type of guy to just go after "his guys" from his legacy jobs or the Jets would have at least interviewed Doug Pederson.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Was interested in the beginning of the offseason. 

However the more you look at Wentz. The more you want to run away and all we could do is hope the team doesn't pursue him. His Mechanics have got worse in the league. They are not changing as hes almost 30. His Mindset has got worse and not going to improve as again he's almost 30. His attitude is bad. This is a RUN away situation. 

Sam is only 23. He could still fix things. If we don't land Watson Ill stick with him or draft Lance after trading down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Douglas actually wasn’t hired until a few months after the Eagles drafted Wentz.

I can’t see it

You might as well try to salvage Darnold instead with an improved supporting cast rather than take on Wentz’ monster contract.

At least Darnold isn’t hated by his teammates.

Seriously.

Why would you take on a mentally broken, physically fragile player with a huge contract, when you have that already on your team who makes less money and won't cost you any draft picks.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The question is, how much does starting the worst QB in football, effect the development of the rest of the team?

As I said in the post you quoted, they'd need a 1A option at QB in case Darnold isn't getting it done. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

As we know, Douglas was in the room when they drafted Wentz*, and Wentz has been a largely successful QB (outside of last year). If Douglas was blanching at the presumed cost for Deshaun and didn’t want to wait around for the Texans to give up on a reconciliation, could Douglas turn around and take Wentz’s salary off the Eagles’ books? IMO, I think it’d be cheaper than you might think because you’d be getting the Jared Goff end of that Rams-Lions deal, so maybe the #23, a third, and Darnold for Wentz? 

*Fake news by me. s/o @Untouchable for the correction

Let Wentz twist in the wind.  No, hell no, to getting him.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

As I said in the post you quoted, they'd need a 1A option at QB in case Darnold isn't getting it done. 

The problem is, the moment you bring in a 1A option, he beats Darnold out in camp, which is why we've had Josh McCown, Luke Fales, and a retired Joe Flacco.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

I understand your position, but I think when it comes to the most important position on the team, he will make a solid offer to Houston and if we lose out on him he'll draft Wilson. We haven't had a true franchise QB in over 5 decades. It's time to stop screwing around and use your assets to secure one. If not for a franchise altering QB, then what are they for? I think Wilson on day one will be better than Sam because he sees the field better, has much better accuracy and more zip. 

If Watson does become available via trade, Joe Douglas will place a value on him and make an offer accordingly, yes. If the Jets do land Watson, it'll be because JD was able to land him for significantly less than the packages getting thrown around in here. Two #1s, two #2s, and two defensive starters? No. All the Tannenbaum juniors opening the bidding at four #1s? Not happening. But this is why I don't think he'll end up here, I think he'll be outbid and that'll be that. 

Then, at the #2 overall, he's going to weigh his evaluation of the QBs vs. what he's being offered for the pick. If he loves one of the QBs, he shouldn't even dick around with Watson, he should just get his guy on a rookie deal. But, if he doesn't love one of these QBs, he shouldn't take one that high. There's a for sale sign on that #2 pick, and if he gets a good enough offer, he's going to take it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve ruminated on this and I would not deal for Wentz at any price. 

Do you bic your head? Do you hail from the capital of the confederacy? Do you have a grading system that rates every sh*tty ginger quarterback ahead of every good black quarterback? I don't know that your ruminations have taken the relevant variables into account because it sure seems to me that the Jets are gonna be interested in Wentz at every price.

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Do you bic your head? Do you hail from the capital of the confederacy? Do you have a grading system that rates every sh*tty ginger quarterback ahead of every good black quarterback? I don't know that your ruminations have taken the relevant variables into account because it sure seems to me that the Jets are gonna be interested in Wentz at every price.

Sir, I went with my gut on this one. Seat of the pants action.