Jets' revamped coaching staff: 'Frisco' flavor, old friends and new approach

Jet Nut

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Robert Saleh has been on the job for three weeks, but he already has set himself apart from Adam Gase in at least one respect: coaching-staff composition.

Saleh's staff, almost complete, is a reunion of sorts -- a collection of coaching colleagues from each of his previous NFL stops. In fact, 11 of his 13 hires for key positions -- coordinators and position coaches -- are coaches he worked with previously. This is a common practice in the industry, but Saleh has taken it to a new level.

In most cases, familiarity is a good thing, especially for a team in transition. If nothing else, it shows Saleh was hands-on during the process, choosing his guys.

That's noteworthy, considering the Jets were criticized in 2019 when the front office scared away head-coaching candidate Matt Rhule because it wanted to pick his staff for him. Rhule was a college coach at the time, and there were concerns about his ability to gather an NFL staff.

The front office also had input into Gase's staff, creating an arranged marriage between him and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who had a big say on some of the defensive hires. In the end, Gase assembled a highly experienced group of coaches, nearly half of whom had no previous ties to him.

That dynamic no longer exists. This is the Saleh ensemble. The upside is they speak the same football language and share a similar philosophy. The downside is that it might limit different ideas.

"One of the most impressive things through the interview process regarding Robert and his staff was just his thought process on the composition of the staff and how he was thinking about different personalities and different roles," Jets general manager Joe Douglas said. "You really walked away saying, 'Wow, Robert has really thought this out the right way.' I would say that was as impressive as any name that he brought up."

Other takeaways on the new staff:

San Francisco East: Seven coaches have a connection to the 49ers, Saleh's previous team, including five from the 2020 staff -- Mike LaFleur (offensive coordinator), John Benton (offensive line/run-game coordinator), Aaron Whitecotton (defensive line), Mike Rutenberg (linebackers) and Tony Oden (senior defensive assistant/cornerbacks). New head coaches always bring along assistants from their previous team, but five is a high number.

Prior to 2020, Miles Austin (wide receivers) and Taylor Embree (running backs) worked for the Niners, overlapping with Saleh. You can bet this will be a factor in NFL free agency. Don't be surprised if a handful of ex-Niner players wind up in New York.

Blasts from the past: Reaching back into his early coaching years, Saleh hired assistants he met with the Jacksonville Jaguars (2014-16), Seattle Seahawks (2011-13) and Houston Texans (2005-10).

From Jacksonville is Ron Middleton (tight ends). From his Seattle connections are Jeff Ulbrich (defensive coordinator) and Marquand Manuel (safeties). From his time in Houston is Greg Knapp (pass-game coordinator). Of the 13 top assistants, the only two who didn't coach with Saleh previously are Rob Calabrese (quarterbacks) and Brant Boyer (special teams), a holdover from the past two Jets coaching regimes.

Green on offense: Saleh has a handful of first-timers on this side of the ball -- a first-time playcaller (LaFleur) and three first-time position coaches (Calabrese, Embree and Austin). Basically, he's entrusting Sam Darnold (or another quarterback) to a rookie coach in Calabrese, 30, who has only two years of quality-control experience at the NFL level. Presumably, he will lean on Knapp, a former offensive coordinator and 24-year coaching veteran.

The key, of course, is LaFleur, 34, whom Saleh referred to as "Little Mikey" in a recent interview. Saleh met LaFleur through his older brother, Green Bay Packers coach Matt LaFleur, a close friend. Saleh will oversee the entire team, but he's essentially handing off the offense to LaFleur, who spent the past seven years learning under 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan.

"Nobody in the world knows [that style of offense] better than he does," Saleh said of LaFleur. "[I'm] really excited about the vision that we have in place for the offensive side, and there's no one better in the world than the people that we've hired to be able to do that. So, it's going to be an exciting time for this organization."

• Post of the Week 2

Robert Saleh's Coaching Staff

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueThe New York Jets' new coach has worked previously with 11 of his 13 coordinators and position coaches. Here are their titles with the team, plus years of experience in the NFL:

POS. COACH EXP
Others: Asst. O-line Jake Moreland; 
Asst. D-line Nate Ollie;
Defensive Asst.: Ricky 
Manning Jr., Hayes Pullard and Chip Vaughn; 
Offensive Assts.: 
Mack Brown and Billy Vandemerkt
OC Mike LaFleur 7
QBs Rob Calabrese 2
WRs Miles Austin 1
RBs Taylor Embree 3
TEs Ron Middleton 11
OL/run-game John Benton 18
Pass-game Greg Knapp 24
DC Jeff Ulbrich 8
Sr Def Asst./CBs Tony Oden 17
D-line Aaron Whitecotton 7
LBs Mike Rutenberg 10
Safeties Marquand Manuel 9
Special teams Brant Boyer 9

Thank you for this article.  

The Jets have been dysfunctional for years in terms of their Assistant coaches, going all the way back to Ted Cotrell who was foisted upon Herm Edwards and who had a totally different defensive philosophy from Herm ------to Rex playing nice and accepting Schotty as his OC!

I am so happy about Saleh I can't take it!  Finally adults are in control!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I wonder what's going on with Boyer?  

Seems that hes a holdover and but now its been reported that they signed Michael Ghobrial as an assistant ST coach or coordinator?

Hedging their bets a bit?

I think that Saleh was willing to keep Boyer on but that he wants a certain culture in every area of the team and he is willing to allow Boyer to learn about that culture and to get on board the Saleh express.

Saleh is planning on winning not making excuses!!

LOVE IT!!!!! :) 

• Upvote 1

I am also optimistic.  But this is the off season and it's a time for optimism.  Even for Jets fans.

I am not being overly cynical here, but Saleh seems to be the "least bad" coaching hire since Parcels.  Just mentioning Saleh with Parcels is a complement.  And we got Parcels as he was winding down his career.

Saleh is on the rise.  If JD does his part....Good things will happen.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, addage said:

I am also optimistic.  But this is the off season and it's a time for optimism.  Even for Jets fans.

I am not being overly cynical here, but Saleh seems to be the "least bad" coaching hire since Parcels.  Just mentioning Saleh with Parcels is a complement.  And we got Parcels as he was winding down his career.

Saleh is on the rise.  If JD does his part....Good things will happen.

All i can say is ! feel the same way!!!

AND......................................................

Image result for oh boy gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

I think that Saleh was willing to keep Boyer on but that he wants a certain culture in every area of the team and he willing to allow Boyer to learn about that culture and to get on board the Saleh express.

Saleh is planning on winning not making excuses!!

LOVE IT!!!!! :) 

It’s a whole new world.  The culture around the team will be different.  I’m thinking there’s going to be a lot of accountability required moving forward.

There’s a new sheriff in town.  Thankfully  

• Upvote 1