Jaycee Horn Film Analysis

Willgrop

What’s up jet fans,

My name is Will and I recently made a film analysis of Jaycee Horn. The son of Joe Horn, he’s a real culture guy that I think the Jets could really benefit from drafting. Very physical, can lock down 1 on 1 and rush the passer. I would love to hear your opinion on it. FTP

• Upvote 4

yeah, I mean he's projected to go in Rd. 1 as a top 3 CB in the draft, probably behind Farley and Surtan II- depending on which team likes him, how the combine turns out, etc. No surprises here. If he slides to 23 I would consider him. But Saleh runs a zone scheme. Seems like Horn is primarily a man-press CB. The other thing is that the Jets have SO MANY NEEDS. I know CB is a need as well but in Rd. 1 I expect them to target QB and Edge, maybe OT/O-line or WR. DEPENDING ON FA. 

Anyway, good stuff! Would like to see something a CB prospect w might target with one of our 3rd round picks. 

I've had my eye on Newsome II. I know it's early and he's been rising on a lot of draft boards but I think he could still be available in Rd. 3 maybe even with the Seattle pick. He has great size, ball awareness and experience with different schemes- man-press and zone. Some injury history could be a concern but that's why he should be there in Rd. 3. Not a burner but won't have to be in Saleh's system. I think he's a great fit. 

Here's a write up I found online for what it's worth. 

2021 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Northwestern DB Greg Newsome

By Devin Jackson

Posted on January 25, 2021 at 10:30 am

#2 Greg Newsome/DB Northwestern – 6’1 190

The Good

– Smooth athlete with great size
– Oily hips, elite ability to click and close
– Plays with physicality, can play press man and off man
– Played both sides of defense, not married to a particular side of the field
– Shows great awareness in zone coverage, rarely covering empty field
– Makes plays on the ball consistently, and plays through the hands of receivers
– Plays with attitude, stays attached to hip on most reps
– Has solid closing speed on deep routes
– Good starting experience against quality competition
– Shows great understanding of route combinations and always in positions to make plays

The Bad

– Gets grabby and handsy before the ball arrives and throughout the route
– Has relatively small sample size, only started 18 games in college
– Injury history, missed games in every season
– Struggles making tackles in the run game and low presence in run support
– At times puts himself in trail position, allowing for chances of getting beat deep
– Speed isn’t a strong suit, but has enough to stay with receivers
– Inconsistent shedding blocks down field and on screens
– Struggles with consistently jamming at LOS, rerouting receivers

Bio

– Started 18 of 21 total games played at Northwestern
– Started four games Freshman season year, eight Sophomore year , six Junior year
– 2020 All-B1G First Team
– 2020 AP All-American Third Team
– Three-star recruit from IMG Academy, chose Northwestern over Arkansas, Boston College and others
– Missed nine games freshman season with ankle injury, missed four games sophomore year with undisclosed injury, no games missed this season but left Big Ten Championship with groin injury
– Multi-sport athlete, played football and basketball in high school
– One career interception, 20 passes defensed

Greg Newsome II || Northwestern Defensive Back || Career Highlights - YouTube

On 2/8/2021 at 2:40 AM, jetsons said:

There are several very good CB's in this draft... if the jets trade down from 2 (which I Strongly believe they will) they can easily grab 1-2 really good ones. 

I wouldn't mind a double-dip at CB either.

Of the current guys Bryce Hall looks good and should become a starter (CB2 type, maybe he surprises and grows into a CB1).  Bless Austin and Lamar Jackson are okay to put on the field but not sure of their ceilings or fit with the new coaches.  Not sure if the Jets will bring back Brian Poole to play nickel/slot CB but I wouldn't be opposed to another one year deal.

So how about using that #34 pick on a CB?  That seems like a sweet spot where we won't land a guy like Surtain II, Horn or Farley, but maybe a Tyson Campbell is available there?

If the Jets grab a CB in the first two rounds then I wouldn't be opposed to taking another one much later (Round 5+) since there could be some decent guys who drop in this deep class simply due to quantity and the fact that many teams may have already addressed CB earlier, forcing some guys down.

I like Greg Newsome also but not in the first 2 rounds.

• Upvote 2

My first thought when going to this style of defense is that cornerback is not the top of the draft priority.  It's simplistic, but I picture taking guys that might not be ++ athletes, but can still excel.   I guess that Sherman may be the perfect example of that, but he is a pretty good cover guy.  THey ran with Sherman and Verrett so maybe there will be some expenditure.  Ineteresting thing to me is Oden coming in.  He had Slay in Detroit.  Slay basically started for him all three years and made all-pro his last year there, signing a big deal in 2016.  Slay did not get along with Patricia and shot his way out of town.  Inexplicably the Eagles gave him a huge extension which gives him a ton more guaranteed money.  He is the type of quality experienced cap hit we might take a chance on whien teams are cutting cap, but I think his deal is way too big and unworkable.   

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.